• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Pink
    Peterman Sucks!
    • Mar 2006

Re: Who is your starting QB

Originally posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
    You watched the game right? He had multiple sustained drives, made multiple plays on 3rd down that extended drives through the air, moved the offense efficiently... all with scrubs in at WR and RB. I'm not saying I'm gonzo about him, but he did what he needed to do. You are acting like I think he is amazing, I don't. I think that he performed just as well if not better as the other 2 when weighted for circumstances and has a much higher upside. He's exciting. That counts, it is sports right? It's supposed to be fun.
    He sustained drives against Cleveland? What did those drives do? They netted 3 points. And he took an absolutely god awful sack that likely took 3 points off the board.

That is my point everything he did, minus the fact he can run so people love him, is exactly what Cassel did in the first game. Dink dunk sustained drive field goal. Except it took less drives for Cassel to accomplish it.

Comment

• Mace
      Haha...yeah you think so ?
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Famous Amos View Post
      I read that in Steve Buscemi's voice haha
      I read everything Pink says in Steve Buscemi's voice, it's awesome, plus 1 him every chance you get, it's entirely worth reading every one of his posts as Steve Buscemi.

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
        He sustained drives against Cleveland? What did those drives do? They netted 3 points. And he took an absolutely god awful sack that likely took 3 points off the board.

That is my point everything he did, minus the fact he can run so people love him, is exactly what Cassel did in the first game. Dink dunk sustained drive field goal. Except it took less drives for Cassel to accomplish it.
        I think poor red zone efficiency should be expected when having to play without a single starter at WR or RB. Of course it doesn't look great, but expectations should be tempered. Most QBs in the league would not be able to score in those situations.

I know it's not easy and it isn't the resounding yeehaw evidence you want to see, but you have to do analysis with what you have. Cassel was fine, I'm not knocking him at all. I just think TT looked pretty much equal to Cassel with less weapons (al beit against a worse team), plus he has the ability to move the ball with his legs. I don't know why you are so easy to discount how useful that is.

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
          It's still concerning that EJ is the only Bills QB to throw a TD this preseason... You gotta admit that.
          I agree for sure, but like I said, with no starting RBs or WRs I wasn't expecting much. I just wanted to see sustained drives and execution on 3rd downs through the air (not running all over the place). Maybe we just have different expectations of what someone should be able to accomplish with so little around him. That's fine.

Comment

• lavuuk153
            • Oct 2014

Whomever the coaches decide deserves to start is who I will back. I have a feeling at least 2 of them will play meaningful minutes this year and can see all 3 playing at least a bit. Bottom line, I don't care who starts the season...just make the damn playoffs. I'm tired of the fact the last time they made it I was 13 and said they should take a knee, spike it, then kick it. How are coaches so terrible at clock management??? /rant

Comment

• WagonCircler
              Escaped Convict
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
              But Tyrod has the potential to make us dangerous.
              Dangerous cuts both ways. That's why Roman wants Cassel. Roman has a very complex system, and reading and recognizing Defenses is a major part of it. Safe is a four letter word, but when it comes to being an NFL QB, it means a lot, especially when you have a Defense that can keep the Bills in almost any game. Mistake free football is very valuable.

That being said, Tyrod has shown enough fundamental skills that it wouldn't be the end of the world if he started, but I see the read option game as being dangerous in a bad way. But Tyrod at least shows an ability to be accurate when throwing on the run, something that EJ absolutely cannot do.

There are no good choices, but EJ is a horrendous choice.

Comment

• Mace
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                There are no good choices, but EJ is a horrendous choice.
                Besides the fact he might Trent Edwards, why are you hating on him Mr. Sour Grapes ?

Nah, don't answer that. I'm just not so bothered by the chosen whoever and don't want to be, even though I probably know better.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                  Maybe?
                  • Oct 2003

Can't see it working out for EJ "Most Likely to Hit A Cameraman" Manuel. Sorry but I just don't really see the argument for him any longer, regardless of the TDs. He makes mistakes often enough to negate any great throws he makes along the way. Can't count on him to bring it when it matters. Granted we don't have a lot on TT, but so far he's been holding his own. I'd say cut Cassel and make EJ the backup but that won't fly, as it will be looked at as too risky not to have the "veteran backup" in the stables. So, my bet is TT, Cassel...EJ gets cut. JMO.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • May 2009

EJ will be starting by week 9. Mark it down.
                    Last edited by BertSquirtgum; 08-23-2015, 10:36 PM.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                      Escaped Convict
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                      Besides the fact he might Trent Edwards, why are you hating on him Mr. Sour Grapes ?

Nah, don't answer that. I'm just not so bothered by the chosen whoever and don't want to be, even though I probably know better.
                      My normally above average Mace to English translation skills fail me here, but I can answer the first part.

EJ clearly is what he is--a QB who will always struggle so mightily with mechanics and accuracy that he will never progress to the necessary level beyond that. That level requires mechanics to be second nature. They will never, ever, ever be second nature to him, and because of this, the real nuanced skills which require instant recognition, decision making and execution, will never be a part of his game.

But when you take the fatal flaw above and factor in how the false hope in him by our GM has set back the franchise, the anger is multiplied exponentially. Whaley has been so hell bent on making the square peg that is EJ fit into the round hole that is the franchise QB, that he has been disastrously derelict in addressing the problem that is the Bills' fatal flaw. Here's a guy who will wheel and deal and overspend like a Fracking Billionaire for a ****ing Wide Receiver, but he won't even bother to DRAFT a guy to throw to him.

The point is, that the hate is not for EJ the person. He is obviously a very nice kid who works hard and wants to succeed, but who just doesn't have the "it" that elite NFL QBs have. Rather, the hate is for EJ, the situation. And as long as they both co-exist in Buffalo, the stubbornness will continue, and so will the playoff drought.

Hope this helps.
                      Last edited by WagonCircler; 08-23-2015, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• Swiper
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2010

From yesterday's Sunday (08/23) practice:

Bills first team QB reps tonight (all vs. scout team):

Cassel: 14

Taylor, Manuel: 8 each

Cassel led 2-minute drill vs. 1st team D

Comment

• JoeMama
                          Emotion Sickness
                          • Oct 2002

I love these open polls.

They're fun to revisit later so you can get a kick out of the fans who showed poor judgment when they voted.
                          Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• Mace
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                            My normally above average Mace to English translation skills fail me here, but I can answer the first part.

EJ clearly is what he is--a QB who will always struggle so mightily with mechanics and accuracy that he will never progress to the necessary level beyond that. That level requires mechanics to be second nature. They will never, ever, ever be second nature to him, and because of this, the real nuanced skills which require instant recognition, decision making and execution, will never be a part of his game.

But when you take the fatal flaw above and factor in how the false hope in him by our GM has set back the franchise, the anger is multiplied exponentially. Whaley has been so hell bent on making the square peg that is EJ fit into the round hole that is the franchise QB, that he has been disastrously derelict in addressing the problem that is the Bills' fatal flaw. Here's a guy who will wheel and deal and overspend like a Fracking Billionaire for a ****ing Wide Receiver, but he won't even bother to DRAFT a guy to throw to him.

The point is, that the hate is not for EJ the person. He is obviously a very nice kid who works hard and wants to succeed, but who just doesn't have the "it" that elite NFL QBs have. Rather, the hate is for EJ, the situation. And as long as they both co-exist in Buffalo, the stubbornness will continue, and so will the playoff drought.

Hope this helps.
                            Can't blame you for not understanding the last part. Had something going on and kept getting interrupted typing the sentence. Was too lazy to make it coherent after.

What I meant to say was...none of the QB's really antagonize me, no matter who they anoint the chosen one. At this point I don't want to be too bothered by it, I'm just looking forward to the season. I probably could and should be bothered, because I can see their limitations, and know better than to think any of them will suddenly become "the answer".

The closer the season gets, the more apathetic I become about it. We have who we have, One will start, and away we go.

Comment

• Famous Amos
                              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
                              It's still concerning that EJ is the only Bills QB to throw a TD this preseason... You gotta admit that.
                              Well, looking at it a different way, not every scoring situation calls for a pass play.
                              "Hate is a lack of imagination."
                              -Graham Greene

Comment

• JoeMama
                                Emotion Sickness
                                • Oct 2002

I'm still undecided.

I need to see more of these guys before I commit and throw my weight behind one.

And what a shame, I hate being a typical yellow-bellied non-voter!

I almost always have "my guy" in mind well before the season starts .
                                Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

Working...
                                X