Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would You Trade Places with the Average NFL Player?

Registered User CommissarSpartacus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,936 Times in 13,288 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Would You Trade Places with the Average NFL Player?

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    That's why the smart ones watch their step.
    Really? And you know this how? If they're so smart, why are they telling you?
    My tebya razdavim

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

when i was younger im sure i woulda said hell yeah. now that im older and know what injuries do to you later in life, its a definite hell no. maybe one of the kickers thats about it
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Sab and TD are insignificant ublinkwescore's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,285 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I still some times have dreams in my sleep about playing linebacker on the bills. hell yea I would. I think I could evolve into a solid starter eventually - I have come a long way in shedding 100 lbs. if I could do that, I feel that if I were to make an NFL team, I could probably push myself to the point that I could become a legit starter if not a pro-bowler. just for the experience of a lifetime alone and to be able to tell people I played for an NFL team and they can even google your name if you never amounted to much and still see for themselves - I think you can find pretty much every single player to make an NFL team - even if they are cut before the season starts...
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Really? And you know this how? If they're so smart, why are they telling you?
    I don't know what you are talking about, but I thought we were talking about big dicks and gay gang rape.

Registered User CommissarSpartacus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,936 Times in 13,288 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    I don't know what you are talking about, but I thought we were talking about big dicks and gay gang rape.
    I only mentioned the big dick. You're the guy that introduced gay rape into the discussion.

I guess the two go together in your experience.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    I only mentioned the big dick. You're the guy that introduced gay rape into the discussion.

I guess the two go together in your experience.
    No sense of humor, either, huh?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 1,507 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I could take the league minimum multiplied by the average number of years a player can stay in the league and be essentially set for life with that money, and the money I would earn using that money. You could open a pizza shop or café with zero debt. You could invest it wisely. Yeah... i'll take the "risk" associated with earning ~$500,000 / year or so for a few years.
    All Hail Josh Allen! Savior of the Buffalo Bills!

Freedom for the Ukraine. Down with Putin and every traitor in this country that supports him.

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    The phrase "LOL" gets thrown around too much these days. But this comment literally made me laugh out loud at work.
    Exactly. I'm still laughing right now.

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 4,183 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Here is a hypothetical question:

Would you trade places with a random 2015 rookie?

Keep in mind the following Rules:
    Lets see:

1. You would NOT get to keep any of your current skills or knowledge.
    (Example: even if you successfully invested large sums of money at 22, you won't be able to bring that skill with you)
    Well I have an MA in history so really I have no skills and no marketable knowledge outside of teaching, and **** to be 22 again and to make a minimum wage of 435,000 a year in year one, to see it go up to 525,000 next year, and to go up yet again to 690,000 a year after that to do a lot of riding the pine? Well sheeeeeit, that's 1,650,000 in three years. At 22 I was a broke history student who grew up in a working class home with little in savings, and only a rudimentary understanding of market forces. However, way I figure from using NFL earnings table at:

http://www.spotrac.com/blog/nfl-mini...-benefit-rule/

and current tax brackets at:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphi...unts-and-more/

I still take home a little better than a million dollars at the end of three years. Not a whole lot, but no problem. What I get is a decent car or two (don't need anything fancy), probably around 45,000. I get a house that I pay off by the time I retire 500,000, the rest I use to complete my education in a decent field like finance, and I invest in some stable long term blue chips. Anything left I use to pay off debt, and tithe

2. You'd be in your early 20's with 2 years of crappy college education under your belt
    See point one, I'd invest and finish my degree in a marketable field.

3. You have a 78% chance of being broke by 2021 (6yrs)
    I only stick around until I clear a million and I am gone

4. Whatever injuries, concussions you sustain will be with you forever.
    That's a *****, but hopefully by riding the pine for three years I am good anyways.
    5. Following your short career, You'll most likely go living in ghetto like conditions & having to start a new career from scratch.
    Mama always taught me to live within my means, and well with a mill I know I could.

Would you do it?
    Under my conditions yes.
    Last edited by Generalissimus Gibby; 08-26-2015 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'd rather be healthy, pain free, poor, and happy instead of being unhealthy, suffering from chronic pain, rich and miserable.

Health is wealth. If you're healthy and pain free, you're super rich.

My mental and physical health are worth more than money.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    I'd rather be healthy, pain free, poor, and happy instead of being unhealthy, suffering from chronic pain, rich and miserable.

Health is wealth. If you're healthy and pain free, you're super rich.

My mental and physical health are worth more than money.
    I'd rather be slightly hobbled with at least $10 million in the bank.

I'd step into the ring with Mike Tyson in his prime for $10 million, and I ain't hardly kidding. That's not even to be considered a risk, either...guaranteed he'd knock me into next week.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MST3KBillsfan View Post
    Lets see:

Well I have an MA in history so really I have no skills and no marketable knowledge outside of teaching, and **** to be 22 again and to make a minimum wage of 435,000 a year in year one, to see it go up to 525,000 next year, and to go up yet again to 690,000 a year after that to do a lot of riding the pine? Well sheeeeeit, that's 1,650,000 in three years. At 22 I was a broke history student who grew up in a working class home with little in savings, and only a rudimentary understanding of market forces. However, way I figure from using NFL earnings table at:

http://www.spotrac.com/blog/nfl-mini...-benefit-rule/

and current tax brackets at:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphi...unts-and-more/

I still take home a little better than a million dollars at the end of three years. Not a whole lot, but no problem. What I get is a decent car or two (don't need anything fancy), probably around 45,000. I get a house that I pay off by the time I retire 500,000, the rest I use to complete my education in a decent field like finance, and I invest in some stable long term blue chips. Anything left I use to pay off debt, and tithe

See point one, I'd invest and finish my degree in a marketable field.

I only stick around until I clear a million and I am gone

That's a *****, but hopefully by riding the pine for three years I am good anyways.

Mama always taught me to live within my means, and well with a mill I know I could.

Under my conditions yes.

Your engaging in a Finacial Analysis Breakdown which is a SKILL you Learned -probably after the age of 22.

Unfortunately, most 22 year old NFL players don't have this knowledge & skill and in this example you wouldn't either.

Given this his new understanding that you would spend your money most likely like the average NFL player (it means you have a 78% chance of being broke 3.5years post retirement) would you still take those odds & give up what you have -both inside your head & otherwise- and trade places with the average player?
    Please Make Sense