Will EJ Manuel Get Cut, Traded, or Make The Team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Re: Will EJ Manuel Get Cut, Traded, or Make The Team?

Originally posted by Mace View Post
    Don't know, maybe they surprise me and you're right. But I think guaranteed money and not terrible trump all, they have 3 who know the offense and one is sure to get hurt.

So to me, do they pay Manuel which they have to anyway, in case he can contribute, or pay someone else they don't have to ? I'd go with guaranteed money every time.
    I do not think that EJ Manuel's guaranteed money is a factor when it comes to him making the team or being cut.

I think the issue boils down to how much he can contribute to the team in 2015, not money.

Comment

• Meathead
      Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
      Simms looks a little like Lewis to me too.
      sort of

One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Meathead
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
        He gave up just a 5th rounder in 2015 and a 7th in 2016 for Cassel and a 6th in 2015
        actually i believe they got the 6th from minny

Comment

• Meathead
          • Jul 2002

personally im hoping they can trade one of the guys preferably cassel but so far i dont think theres any team who lost their starter yet

Comment

• The Jokeman
            • Dec 2003

Make the team, both Cassel and Tyrod are questionable starters at best and with Cassel being an injury risk and Rex saying all three guys will get 1st team reps against the Steelers it's obvious EJ is making the final 53,

Comment

• The Jokeman
              • Dec 2003

He gave up just a 5th rounder in 2015 and a 7th in 2016 for Cassel and a 6th in 2015, and the Bills will get $4.15M of his salary back if they cut him.

EJ's not going anywhere. Cassel should.
              and what UFA are we going to sign to use that $4.15M of cap space this year? Face it Cassel is making this squad and might even be starting Week 1.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
                Matt Cassel has been given first team reps in every single practice in training camp. Unless he totally craps his diaper on Saturday, Manuel looks like the odd man out.

I would love to keep 3 quarterbacks, but the Bills don't have that luxury. They're in win now mode, which means every player on their roster is super important.

Who's going to contribute more in 2015? EJ Manuel, or somebody else?

I think the coaches are thinking somebody else.
                EJ Manuel vs Kenny Ladler/Lankster etc. when you look at the guys at the bottom of a 53 man roster it's pretty easy to say he can contribute more than most of the bottom the barrel. I mean he's already been reported as being the scout QB as Luck and beating our 1st teamers with a big pass in the final day of public practive.

Comment

• Goobylal
                  • Jan 2004

I do not think that EJ Manuel's guaranteed money is a factor when it comes to him making the team or being cut.

I think the issue boils down to how much he can contribute to the team in 2015, not money.
                  Given Cassel has been injured in 3 of the past 4 seasons and Taylor's penchant to run can open him up to injury, odds are high EJ would see the field this year.
                  Originally posted by Meathead View Post
                  actually i believe they got the 6th from minny
                  That's what I mean by getting Cassel and a 6th in 2015.
                  Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                  and what UFA are we going to sign to use that $4.15M of cap space this year? Face it Cassel is making this squad and might even be starting Week 1.
                  Extending the Bills' impending ones.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                    • Mar 2013

This is interesting.

A current summary of Buffalo Bills 2024 player cap & cash figures.

If Manuel gets cut, his dead cap hit is $5.25 million.

If Cassel gets cut, his dead cap hit is a minuscule $600,000.

Regardless of money, Cassel has gotten the majority of reps all throughout training camp and Roman trusts him to run his offense.

I don't think Roman trusts Manuel to run his offense.

The $5.25 million dead cap hit is the only reason not to cut EJ Manuel.

Comment

• Goobylal
                      • Jan 2004

This is interesting.

Regardless of money, Cassel has gotten the majority of reps all throughout training camp and Roman trusts him to run his offense.

Wrong. If Cassel starts, odds are he'll get injured and have to be put on IR, just like in 3 of his last 4 seasons. Not keeping a 3rd QB (and I don't mean Simms) would be idiotic. Beyond that, Cassel won't be on the Bills next year. He has a 1-year deal and if he sucks and/or gets injured, he's gone, and if he has a good season, he'll want big bucks and the Bills won't pay him. So starting him would also be idiotic.

Comment

• Mace
                        Haha...yeah you think so ?
                        • Mar 2013

This is interesting.

You sort of misread it. If he stays (his contract is guaranteed,says so there). they pay him $2,423,264, if he leaves they pay him that plus 2,827, 141, which adds up to dead cap figure which they have to pay anyway, because he's fully guaranteed.

Dead cap is what it costs you anyway.

Edit : Never mind, I misread you !
                        Last edited by Mace; 08-26-2015, 07:41 PM.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                          • Mar 2013

Wrong. If Cassel starts, odds are he'll get injured and have to be put on IR, just like in 3 of his last 4 seasons. Not keeping a 3rd QB (and I don't mean Simms) would be idiotic. Beyond that, Cassel won't be on the Bills next year. He has a 1-year deal and if he sucks and/or gets injured, he's gone, and if he has a good season, he'll want big bucks and the Bills won't pay him. So starting him would also be idiotic.
                          When is the last time a 3rd string QB has taken their team to the playoffs?

Comment

• Goobylal
                            • Jan 2004

When is the last time a 3rd string QB has taken their team to the playoffs?
                            How many many 53rd man on the roster players have taken their team to the playoffs? And how times have Cassel and Taylor taken their teams to the playoffs?
                            Last edited by Goobylal; 08-26-2015, 08:08 PM.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                              • Mar 2005

I think the Bills would trade EJ if they could. With that said if we have room, and that's a big if, having some insurance against injury isn't bad.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                                • Jun 2009

EJ is gone.
                                Can't see them wasting a roster spot on a #3 qb.
                                I do think Rex is talking him up so they can try to trade him, as he is talking about keeping all 3 qb's.
                                If Whaley can get anything in a trade he will be doing well.

Comment

Working...
                                X