Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: EJ gets start vs Pittsburgh

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: EJ gets start vs Pittsburgh

i dont really see it as a legit chance for ej to start the opener, really just rex being fair, or as somebody else pointed out as an audition for a trade

but we also dont know what rexy and co are seeing in practices now and how they are evaluating. in all new systems the last part of camp means the most, its still quite reasonable to say if one guy shows they have put it all together better than the others its possible any of them could take control of the job

perhaps they see something we dont yet and are still considering him at the starter., but i still find that unlikely
    Last edited by Meathead; 08-27-2015 at 12:54 PM.
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

2. Post thanked by:

Mace (08-27-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 1,507 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

EJ would probably be the starter if he didn't match each brilliant pass with two that are wildly off target. And if he didn't fumble the exchange from the center so often. He's just too inconsistent and goofy with the ball to be relied on IMO. When he's on, he looks great. It's just that he's often VERY off.
    All Hail Josh Allen! Savior of the Buffalo Bills!

Freedom for the Ukraine. Down with Putin and every traitor in this country that supports him.

4. Post thanked by:

ublinkwescore (08-27-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Comments from Rex:
    "Like I said from Day 1, this is a real competition," Ryan said. "My plan was to give everybody opportunities -- whether it was equal reps or whatever -- nobody can say nobody was given a fair shot here. So we've been giving it.

"I looked at it going in thinking I'd start EJ in that [intrasquad] scrimmage [Aug. 8] and we'll look at that third preseason game. But as I got to it, I thought EJ earned his shot at this. He played well in those two [preseason] games. And that [scrimmage] really wasn't like starting a preseason game. So we'll see.

"EJ, all he's gotten reps with was the [third team] and the [second team]. Now it's a shot to get reps with the ones as well. I feel good about that."
    It sounds like Watkins and Woods are both going to be out, so we're still not really seeing any of them play with all the starters.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Comments from Rex:

It sounds like Watkins and Woods are both going to be out, so we're still not really seeing any of them play with all the starters.
    I feel like we're too injured to do the normal 3rd pre-season game where starters get a full half. I wouldn't play the 1s any more than 1 quarter in these next two games. Maybe some years the conventional wisdom would prevail. But we're just too damn hurt for my liking at this point. In fact, i'm sort of hoping that at least some of these "injuries" are being over-played in an effort to protect the health of a few of our more important players.

7. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (08-27-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Don't read into it too deeply, other than it being EJ's turn to start. The starters will play into the 3rd, with all 3 qb's getting 2-3 drives with the starters. The more interesting thing to see will be who goes #2, after EJ? My gut says TT will be the starter after this game, unless something goes terribly wrong.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Each QB gets to start a game.

Coaches are clearly giving each QB the chance to show what they can do with the 1's. In practice EJ has clearly fallen to 3rd, now the coaches want to see what he actually does in a game.

Face it EJ fanboys, your boy is getting more than a fair shot from a coaching regime that owes him nothing. Clearly the Bills coaches are looking to start the best QB. If EJ fails, it's his failure not some conspiracy or lack of opportunity.
    Please Make Sense

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Each QB gets to start a game.

Coaches are clearly giving each QB the chance to show what they can do with the 1's. In practice EJ has clearly fallen to 3rd, now the coaches want to see what he actually does in a game.

Face it EJ fanboys, your boy is getting more than a fair shot from a coaching regime that owes him nothing. Clearly the Bills coaches are looking to start the best QB. If EJ fails, it's his failure not some conspiracy or lack of opportunity.
    You know I dislike EJ as a QB more than anyone, sadly he's shown more in games than the other 2 guys have. To be fair to Cassel he hasn't really had an adequate showing to display himself this preseason though.

Yes I know preseason is meaningless, practices are even more meaningless.

11. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (08-27-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Egads I pray we don't play starters into the third quarter. Just one look at our OL depth alone makes me cringe at the thought. And you can forget about skill position starters playing even a single snap on Saturday in many/most cases. We don't have the luxury of treating this like a typical dress rehearsal game. And so we are not.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    You know I dislike EJ as a QB more than anyone, sadly he's shown more in games than the other 2 guys have. To be fair to Cassel he hasn't really had an adequate showing to display himself this preseason though.

This analysis leaves me speechless. Perhaps if you simply look at the raw stats you can make a semi-decent argument that EJ has looked best in this pre-season. But if you've honestly watched every snap and come away with the same opinion, I think our brains inhabit different dimensions or something. Or maybe i am (or you are) having acid flashbacks from the 90s or something.

Without me it's just Awe so The King's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,830 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think EJ had confidence issues when we drafted him. Marrone screwed him up royally. As many have mentioned EJ has show flashes in particular his late game drives but something in his head is just off.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jimkelly12203 View Post
    This analysis leaves me speechless. Perhaps if you simply look at the raw stats you can make a semi-decent argument that EJ has looked best in this pre-season. But if you've honestly watched every snap and come away with the same opinion, I think our brains inhabit different dimensions or something. Or maybe i am (or you are) having acid flashbacks from the 90s or something.
    I've watched the games.

EJ led two minute drill led to a win. Tyrod two minute drill led to a dink, dunk, punt.

EJ threw the prettiest pass out of any of the QBs for a long TD. Tyrod can scramble for 12 yards after his first read isn't there.

All I have to evaluate what I've seen out of Cassel is one drive where it was dink, dunk, FG...all I've seen out if Tyrod with the starters is dink, dunk, scramble, FG out of one half.

You can't make any evaluation out of Cassel really since he's barely played, Tyrod is a running back attempting to be a QB ala Kordell Stewart style and EJ makes mistakes and makes some good plays actually throwing the ball.

What other conclusion have you made out of this group?

16. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (08-27-2015),Yasgur's Farm (08-27-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Interesting...

I only watched the Browns game and came away pretty impressed with TT. EJ looked like EJ for the most part. When I watch EJ play this is what I see:

1. Someone that generally struggles reading defenses
    2. Poor Accuracy & ball placement issues
    3. Very good arm strength & can make almost every throw
    4. Good, size & physical attributes
    5. Slow eyes: takes too long to go through his progression
    6. Really poor pocket awareness
    7. Slow reactions in the pocket
    8. Throwing motion issues: Slow release & long wind up

Overall, EJ is slow at everything that really matters in football: slow to read defense, slow in progressions, slow throwing motion & movements in the pocket, slow to set his feet etc...

Every once in a while everything goes perfect (reads defense correctly, hot read is open, clean pocket, decent mechanics, good throw) and he looks like an NFL QB. Problem is that he is inconsistent and lacks mastery. These chance occurrences happen when all the stars align which is the mark of a second rate QB.

Top NFL QBs don't depend on circumstances falling just right, they DICTATE the game.

In preseason EJ has continued being EJ in all the ways mentioned above. The way he plays football is still the same. He hasn't improved enough in areas mention above to note a fundamental difference in his ability.

18. Post thanked by:

Jimkelly12203 (08-27-2015),ublinkwescore (08-27-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 4,053 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Interesting...

I only watched the Browns game and came away pretty impressed with TT. EJ looked like EJ for the most part. When I watch EJ play this is what I see:

1. Someone that generally struggles reading defenses
    2. Poor Accuracy & ball placement issues
    3. Very good arm strength & can make almost every throw
    4. Good, size & physical attributes
    5. Slow eyes: takes too long to go through his progression
    6. Really poor pocket awareness
    7. Slow reactions in the pocket
    8. Throwing motion issues: Slow release & long wind up

Overall, EJ is slow at everything that really matters in football: slow to read defense, slow in progressions, slow throwing motion & movements in the pocket, slow to set his feet etc...

Every once in a while everything goes perfect (reads defense correctly, hot read is open, clean pocket, decent mechanics, good throw) and he looks like an NFL QB. Problem is that he is inconsistent and lacks mastery. These chance occurrences happen when all the stars align which is the mark of a second rate QB.

Top NFL QBs don't depend on circumstances falling just right, they DICTATE the game.

In preseason EJ has continued being EJ in all the ways mentioned above. The way he plays football is still the same. He hasn't improved enough in areas mention above to note a fundamental difference in his ability.
    I actually LIKE what I've seen of EJ in the first 2 games and I still agree with everything said here. I'm willing to be convinced that he's the best option, but right now I think he's going to have a better NFL career as a backup than he could as a starter.

And I think that comes down to confidence. I just don't think he has much. I think if he's the #2 and comes in when the starter goes down, there's going to be less pressure on his shoulders. And that's going to help him. The #1 QB role is a burden, and a guy like EJ just doesn't seem like he has it in him to carry that for a full season. I think he's probably a really great person. But he doesn't have the composure he needs to be a successful starter in the NFL, if you ask me.

Personally, I theorize that he has ADHD. People with ADHD are generally "people pleasers" so we get uncomfortable if people around us are unhappy and we put it on ourselves to change that. That's not a healthy mindset for anyone, but certainly not for the guy who needs to be the de facto leader of an NFL offense.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I wish him the best. If they sit the WR starters and Thompson was hurt today, that leaves them with about 4 WR's.

21. Post thanked by:

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    i dont really see it as a legit chance for ej to start the opener, really just rex being fair, or as somebody else pointed out as an audition for a trade
    The 1billion to 1 odds hit, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    That's true, but we have seen him play with Watkins and Woods before.

Quote Originally Posted by ICRockets View Post
    And I think that comes down to confidence. I just don't think he has much. I think if he's the #2 and comes in when the starter goes down, there's going to be less pressure on his shoulders. And that's going to help him. The #1 QB role is a burden, and a guy like EJ just doesn't seem like he has it in him to carry that for a full season. I think he's probably a really great person. But he doesn't have the composure he needs to be a successful starter in the NFL, if you ask me.

Personally, I theorize that he has ADHD. People with ADHD are generally "people pleasers" so we get uncomfortable if people around us are unhappy and we put it on ourselves to change that. That's not a healthy mindset for anyone, but certainly not for the guy who needs to be the de facto leader of an NFL offense.
    I don't think it has anything to do with his personality, I just think it's next to impossible to be an effective leader of men if you are noticeably worse at your job then they are at theirs. Doubly so if your failure is putting them at risk, like EJ does when he hangs a wideout out to dry.

There's only so much "composure" can do to inspire people if you are just airmailing throws.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

23. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (08-27-2015),Jimkelly12203 (08-27-2015),Victor7 (08-27-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I've watched the games.

EJ led two minute drill led to a win. Tyrod two minute drill led to a dink, dunk, punt.

EJ threw the prettiest pass out of any of the QBs for a long TD. Tyrod can scramble for 12 yards after his first read isn't there.

All I have to evaluate what I've seen out of Cassel is one drive where it was dink, dunk, FG...all I've seen out if Tyrod with the starters is dink, dunk, scramble, FG out of one half.

You can't make any evaluation out of Cassel really since he's barely played, Tyrod is a running back attempting to be a QB ala Kordell Stewart style and EJ makes mistakes and makes some good plays actually throwing the ball.

What other conclusion have you made out of this group?
    Fair enough. I can't dispute anything you said. But I don't discount the dink and dunk stuff as much as you and I think you're analysis of Taylor is off. I saw him throw some really nice passes. Hardly just a poor man's Vick. There were at least two bombs that should have been caught and were perfectly placed. He also looked poised and was deadly with his legs. He has also been excellent with his legs. He played outstanding with the twos and decent with the ones. To his disservice, I don't think I saw him look off his first read even one time. As for Cassel, I mean he's been very efficient if unspectacular. I can't get past EJ missing wide open players twice for each nice throw and fumbling snaps. He also seems extremely erratic and prone to lay it on the ground when the pocket goes to hell. Its not that I think you're wrong with the above (other than about Taylor) it's just that I think you're leaving out other stuff. To each his own. I hope EJ plays great Saturday.

25. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (08-27-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Can anyone think of an NFL team that would trade something of value for EJ or Cassel?

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 4,183 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Although I think this is a sham, and they already know who the starter is, (Cassell or Taylor), I think its good to give EJ a chance against first string opposition to prove that maybe he deserves to be a starter.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by EDS View Post
    Can anyone think of an NFL team that would trade something of value for EJ or Cassel?
    If Brady is suspended for 4 games and was available I bet New England take him on as a spot starter in a heardbeat. Now in terms of value it depends what you value Cassel as? If it's a backup QB then I'd say think we could get a depth TE or LB for him or maybe a mid round (5th Round) draft pick. EJ could go to a team with an aging starter and questionable backup (see New Orleans and Arizona for maybe a mid round pick). I think the have more value here than elsewhere and/or what we could get in return.

Thanks
    Thanked 18,370 Times in 8,983 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Hey, good for EJ. Kid's out there putting in the work and showing some flashes.

I think he's performed well enough to get a fair shake with the ones.

A judicious move by Rex if nothing else.
    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

30. Post thanked by:

Mace (08-27-2015)