Thread: EJ gets start vs Pittsburgh

Vegas Growed
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: EJ gets start vs Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by djjimkelly View Post
    dont delete your account lol

and listen 0 % is semi laughable.

i refuse to believe the coaches organization arent sincere in this decision. and if the opposite is the case like your suggesting then our franchised is more doomed then ever.(doubt that is the case)

this being said i dont care who starts week 1 .......... JUST WIN
    Agreed ... I do not care who starts as long as they win enough games to get us in the playoffs. I am so tired of saying, "theres always next year"! Eff next year, I want this year.

2. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (08-27-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,505 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's simple guys. Rex wants Tyrod, the rest offensive coaches want Cassel. So EJ is the compromise.

Seriously there should not be any doubt that EJ has improved. Maybe they want to see if the improvement carries over to real game like scenario - the Steelers are going to play 1st string the entire first half.

Personally I like what I saw from Tyrod, the more "it" factor in the pocket. But it's just me that I value a guy having football sense (where the play is, the sense of pressure etc.) more than any measurables.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    It's simple guys. Rex wants Tyrod, the rest offensive coaches want Cassel. So EJ is the compromise.

Seriously there should not be any doubt that EJ has improved. Maybe they want to see if the improvement carries over to real game like scenario - the Steelers are going to play 1st string the entire first half.

Personally I like what I saw from Tyrod, the more "it" factor in the pocket. But it's just me that I value a guy having football sense (where the play is, the sense of pressure etc.) more than any measurables.
    Have you watched the same preseason I've watched? Tyrod has basically been a 1 read and throw guy and if not open than run. Rarely have I seen him scan the field and many have his throws that he's completed have been dump offs to running backs and why his yards per completion is so low. Heck if Goodwin doesn't make a great run after catch against Carolina it be far worse.

5. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (08-27-2015),swiper (08-27-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I admit I only saw one game, that is the Cleveland game. I was impressed. Especially 3rd down conversions.

I did, however, mentioned that he would have trouble scoring TD in the redzone. To me he's not built to throw darts in the middle, which is critical in the redzone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    Have you watched the same preseason I've watched? Tyrod has basically been a 1 read and throw guy and if not open than run. Rarely have I seen him scan the field and many have his throws that he's completed have been dump offs to running backs and why his yards per completion is so low. Heck if Goodwin doesn't make a great run after catch against Carolina it be far worse.
    shhh dont put down the shiiny new toy. the kids all still love it.

that being said if its tyrod eventually with the nod ill support him, same with cassel but ill curse cassel hard at the first mistake i dont see too much upside to cassel

8. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (08-27-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Still for Bills offense, 1st team really means 1st team offensive line. top WR/TE/RB are all out. If they play 3 quarters, each QB gets one quarter as Rex said each QB will get 1st team reps. I'd throw caution to Rex - the Steelers had to sign Legursky after Pouncey hurt in last preseason game, out of season. I shudder to think any of Bills starting 5 gets hurt.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by djjimkelly View Post
    shhh dont put down the shiiny new toy. the kids all still love it.

that being said if its tyrod eventually with the nod ill support him, same with cassel but ill curse cassel hard at the first mistake i dont see too much upside to cassel
    I'll support him too but it doesn't mean I can't point out his flaws. I agree there is little upside in Cassel. Yet because he's the most complete passer I prefer see him starting than anyone else assuming McCoy's healthy.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    I admit I only saw one game, that is the Cleveland game. I was impressed. Especially 3rd down conversions.

I did, however, mentioned that he would have trouble scoring TD in the redzone. To me he's not built to throw darts in the middle, which is critical in the redzone.
    That was in one drive against a Cleveland secondary that was missing 2 starters.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Whether you like or don't like EJ, it's playing out as it should without having a clear cut, head and shoulders above the rest, starter. I like the decision though I only expect him to play a couple series. This is his chance to make an impression or show something with the ones. Good luck to him.

Then no matter who they pick, good luck to us all.

I don't see it as a waste of a tune up game though. They don't have a "no doubts" "sure thing" starter so there's nothing to tune up besides accurate handoffs and some iffy smallball. We're just not tuning up a Peyton Manning or read-option offensive machine. We're "tuning up" a rushing offense. It makes more sense to me to keep using preseason as practice atm.

13. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Smart move by Rex Ryan. Keep everyone guessing. I think Cassel will be the second QB to see the field against the Steelers.

Ryan's main goal? Show as little from Tyrod Taylor as possible because he's going to be the starter.

A lot of fans seem to think that EJ has not had a fair shot to win the job, so Rex is going all in on being more than fair.

It's a swim or sink opportunity for EJ Manuel. If he's good, he stays. If he's bad, buh-bye.

If EJ is EJ on Saturday, nobody is going to be saying he didn't get a fair shot.

The first 2 series on offense will be critical for EJ Manuel.

EJ just got put on the hot seat.
    Last edited by BillsImpossible; 08-27-2015 at 06:22 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If EJ has earned it, good for him. I truly hope he does well.

My guess in this situation is that since everyone knows the 3rd preseason game reveals your default starters, that the staff is purposefully trying to muddy the waters. But we'll see.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You fail to mention the fact that the Bills are running a vanilla offense that is all of 2 pages long.

They're asking the QB's to go out there and make simple plays.

I think the Bills preseason goal is to show absolutely nothing besides basic plays.

The Bills have a strategic advantage this year that is unique in the NFL, and very rare.

Nobody knows who the quarterback will be, and no team has film on what the 2015 Buffalo Bills offense will be like once the season starts.

Gotta' give major props to Rex Ryan for NOT being the same old coach that follows what everyone else is doing.

By naming EJ Manuel the starting quarterback in the Bills 3rd preseason game he has effectively tossed the dress rehearsal script out of the window.

Refreshing.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That was in one drive against a Cleveland secondary that was missing 2 starters.
    Well he had the 5th and 6th WR to work with.

18. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I still remember EJ said after his benching last year that he's going to let it rip if he gets the chance again. This is his chance. Starting O-Line is in place so he's going to get his time in the pocket just like he would in regular season. There is really nothing to lose, just go down fighting.

20. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    You fail to mention the fact that the Bills are running a vanilla offense that is all of 2 pages long.

They're asking the QB's to go out there and make simple plays.

I think the Bills preseason goal is to show absolutely nothing besides basic plays.

The Bills have a strategic advantage this year that is unique in the NFL, and very rare.

Nobody knows who the quarterback will be, and no team has film on what the 2015 Buffalo Bills offense will be like once the season starts.

Gotta' give major props to Rex Ryan for NOT being the same old coach that follows what everyone else is doing.

By naming EJ Manuel the starting quarterback in the Bills 3rd preseason game he has effectively tossed the dress rehearsal script out of the window.

Refreshing.
    More refreshing is we finally agree on something.

22. Post thanked by:

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Each QB gets a start. That completes the fair chance all 3 received and then the decision cannot be viewed as slanted towards any of the candidates. Plus it keeps everyone guessing outside the locker room. They will all be here for the Detroit game.

I have to love all the different spins being created in this thread.

24. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Hopefully this will be the death knell for his career.
    great fan you are....

anyway

Glad for EJ, now he needs to take another step in the right direcion and produce behind the starting OL.

26. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

EJ's Last Stand

This is it. Put up or shut up time.

"He didn't have the starting offense to work with."

Neither did Tyrod Taylor.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts