Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: EJ gets start vs Pittsburgh

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: EJ gets start vs Pittsburgh

We are in bigger trouble than I thought if the decision to start a quarterback is going to be based on one game, let alone a portion of a preseason game. I don't think that's the case, but I know that it had better not be.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,062 Times in 4,266 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

EJ needs to use his legs to make plays more. You are what you are. Let it loose.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 1,507 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

As this article points out, this is absolutely not an opportunity for EJ to win the starting job. I think Carrucci is dead on here and you'd have to be delusional to think otherwise. http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08...-qb-situation/
    All Hail Josh Allen! Savior of the Buffalo Bills!

Freedom for the Ukraine. Down with Putin and every traitor in this country that supports him.

4. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (08-28-2015),Victor7 (08-28-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    We are in bigger trouble than I thought if the decision to start a quarterback is going to be based on one game, let alone a portion of a preseason game. I don't think that's the case, but I know that it had better not be.
    I don't know about that. I'm pretty sure they have a pretty good idea who they are leaning, if not outright decided as the starter. BUT I think none of the QBs, specifically Cassel and Tyrod, separated himself so far ahead of the others that it's a no brainer.

I've said it before that I saw EJ in Heinz field last preseason against Steelers (including sideline pass up and close) that I was NOT impressed by EJ at all this time last year. And generally we knew EJ, and for that matter, all of the Bills QBs last preseason had a crappy training camp, prompting them to sign Orton last minute before the season. Trust me, if we see it, the coaches and players see it too.

This year I felt different. Maybe the bar is low to begin with, but you can't deny that the QB situation is 100% better than last year. We have options. In my eyes, EJ improved. He is not where we want to be, but I felt he looked like an NFL QB at least 50% of the time thus far in preseason, compared to last year where he looked consistently bad in NFL preseason. If you ask me, I'd guess that sort of opened Rex and the other coaches' eyes a bit. Say what you want, but EJ is NOT Cassel; he's still an inexperienced young dude. He may not get many chances in regular season, so the coaches want to see if he can continue to improve in the current setting (not the past tape), with a better surrounding -- I just don't see anything wrong with that logic.

I heard some Buffalo radio that said they are afraid if EJ plays well Saturday would cause more division/problems for the team. That's just complete bull****. This is why Rex is a coach loved by his players everywhere - he keeps his words and give players a chance if they earn it. All those people who want to deny EJ's chance with 1st team is based on what he did in the 10 games he played 24 to 11 month ago in NFL, NOT what he earned this preseason.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,413 Times in 1,995 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think EJ starting this game is just Rex trying to show that he's being fair and giving everyone a shot like he said, but if all three are going to share pretty equal time with the starters then it doesn't really matter who starts. It's not like EJ is going to take all the first half snaps like a starter normally would in a 3rd preseason game. People are trying to build this up as some make or break moment for EJ's career, but realistically this is just another small piece of the overall evaluation. At this point it may not even matter how well EJ plays and he may only play a couple series.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,168 Times in 5,900 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I think EJ starting this game is just Rex trying to show that he's being fair and giving everyone a shot like he said, but if all three are going to share pretty equal time with the starters then it doesn't really matter who starts. It's not like EJ is going to take all the first half snaps like a starter normally would in a 3rd preseason game. People are trying to build this up as some make or break moment for EJ's career, but realistically this is just another small piece of the overall evaluation. At this point it may not even matter how well EJ plays and he may only play a couple series.
    I don't think Rex really cares what anyone thinks about fairness. I don't think he cares about perceptions either.

8. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (08-28-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jimkelly12203 View Post
    As this article points out, this is absolutely not an opportunity for EJ to win the starting job. I think Carrucci is dead on here and you'd have to be delusional to think otherwise. http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08...-qb-situation/
    truly like vic says this has all been a bit unorthodox and i think the only conclusion we can draw is ..................

no one knows who is truly preferred and no one knows who is truly in the lead

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by djjimkelly View Post
    truly like vic says this has all been a bit unorthodox and i think the only conclusion we can draw is ..................

no one knows who is truly preferred and no one knows who is truly in the lead
    Really? There is a conclusion, hint, not a good one: we don't have an undisputed guy at that position.

11. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (08-28-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalogic View Post
    This is weird. Real weird.
    It's not weird at all. Three guys are competing for the job, and all three are getting a chance to start.

I'm not the type of fan that roots for one guy over the other. I just want one of them to be at least an average player at the position. I don't care which one it is. And you can't possibly assess that equally unless each get a shot at starting.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Considering the rather fluid nature of the battle and Rex outright stating he is going to hold off on the announcement as late as possible, I wouldn't be surprised to see one of these three play most of the 4th game as well.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see one of these three play most of the 4th game as well.
    I just have the feeling that EJ is that guy regardless how he does tomorrow.

So far through two preseason games, the Bills must be "showcase" EJ as he got most of the snaps (among the 3) with those developing players, 2nd and mostly 3rd stringers. In later part of the training camp, he's been assigned to work with the scouting team, again mostly those 3rd and 2nd stringers whereas Cassel and Tyrod is rotating with the 1st stringers. I'm curious to see what transpires tomorrow.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,392 Times in 7,275 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    Funny how all the chirpin' went silent.

I hope he does well. Will you go silent if he doesn't? Doubt it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,413 Times in 1,995 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    I don't think Rex really cares what anyone thinks about fairness. I don't think he cares about perceptions either.
    He may not care what any of us think, but I'm sure he cares about what his players think.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,941 Times in 3,493 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

As a Bills fan, my hope is that he plays lights out.
    Of course, why not? But somewhere there is a contingent that will be drinking a shot and doing double high fives for all negative EJ plays. Look for a high post count after the game from the usual suspects if EJ ****s the bed. And crickets if he doesn't.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    I hope he does well. Will you go silent if he doesn't? Doubt it.
    If EJ stinks it up, he's lost his opportunity... However, if he plays to the level he's played these last two games and scrimmage, he'll have earned the start vs Colts IMO.

Floor - He's produced the most of any other QB on the roster this preseason (3 TD's in scrimmage and 2 games).
    Floor - He's had the better college stats of any of the 3.
    Floor - He's had better NFL stats than Cassel has over the past 4 years. (TT has no NFL stats speak of).
    Ceiling - He's improved quite a bit from his 1st 2 seasons which sets an upward trend.
    Ceiling - He has the best arm.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If EJ stinks it up, he's lost his opportunity... However, if he plays to the level he's played these last two games and scrimmage, he'll have earned the start vs Colts IMO.
    I don't go that far. I think most everyone from watching Tyrod and him on the same field last Thursday can't see Tyrod just seemed more comfortable, decisive, and natural in the pocket even taking into the consideration that EJ had to run for his life at the beginning. The best scenario for me is that he demonstrates to everyone that under a more normal pocket environment that the 1st team O-Line can give him, he can direct more consistent drives, especially 3rd down conversion which everyone Bills fan I know of has absolute no confidence at all with him.

Let's face it, since EJ has been more daring in letting the ball fly as he has done thus far in preseason games, I'm getting confident that the big plays will be there for him. But no coaches or players can live with his 3rd down conversion ability so far in his career. If he somehow gives us hints that he makes any stride in that area, I'd let him run the scout team this season until Dennis Thurman tells Rex "he's hard for us to stop on Thursdays"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    I disagree Rex might come off as tough guy but everything I read says he's a player's coach. So I think he cares about the locker room and he stated that he wanted this to be a competition and thus far everyone agrees that no one has really stepped up to win the position yet and why he's giving EJ a chance. It may be a slim one but if EJ plays lights out against the Steelers 1s and Cassel and Tyrod struggle than he might have "earned to starting job" which most felt he needed to do. Now if EJ faulters and someone else steps up that that's no fault to Rex and he can name someone else the starter. Also it a bit of a head game for the Colts too. A wise move by Rex in a lot of ways. Kudos to him.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,480 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There's no way EJ gets the number one spot. I think they want to see what they have in him. What I find really odd is Cassell. If he's your starter play him, get him some reps. Game two he doesn't play, game one two series, and what, two more series. How can you name him your stater? Don't you want to see him play? They must feel they need no further evaluation and are comfortable having him be the number one without seeing what he can do. For this reason I think Taylor gets the nod. Taylor made the throws last game, has the speed element, I mean EJ loooks like an Ostrich when he runs, and Taylor has the most upside. If he fails by game 5 you start Cassell.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Turf View Post
    There's no way EJ gets the number one spot. I think they want to see what they have in him. What I find really odd is Cassell. If he's your starter play him, get him some reps. Game two he doesn't play, game one two series, and what, two more series. How can you name him your stater? Don't you want to see him play? They must feel they need no further evaluation and are comfortable having him be the number one without seeing what he can do. For this reason I think Taylor gets the nod. Taylor made the throws last game, has the speed element, I mean EJ loooks like an Ostrich when he runs, and Taylor has the most upside. If he fails by game 5 you start Cassell.
    not commenting on EJ or tyrod from this but.......

your reasoning should lead you to believe its for sure not cassel. which i think i agree. it wont be cassel

Thanks
    Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,480 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by djjimkelly View Post
    not commenting on EJ or tyrod from this but.......

your reasoning should lead you to believe its for sure not cassel. which i think i agree. it wont be cassel
    I typed that from my iPad which I hate using hence the lack of thought structure. But yeah, logically its not Cassell and that leaves Tyrod. I see no way EJ moves from 3 to 1.
    On a humorous side note, I've been playing Madden, and our QB's I realized were worse than I thought. In fact EJ was rated the highest. After losing two games, I traded Clay for Manziel, straight up, like that would ever happen, and I've won the last three. Kind of a scary thought.