Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: EJ gets start vs Pittsburgh

Thanks
    Thanked 18,367 Times in 8,980 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: EJ gets start vs Pittsburgh

I've been one of EJ's biggest critics since the moment we drafted him but I have to admit I'm very proud of his resiliency this preseason.

He looked wretched in OTAs.

He got off to an equally wretched start to begin training camp.

But he kept his head up and managed to overcome adversity and get better and better each consecutive week.

It shows a great deal of character and he deserves kudos for that.

A lot of guys would have gotten a poor attitude and digressed or flat out lost confidence. But EJ seems to be quietly playing like a man determined to remain in the mix.

I'm not saying this as someone who thinks he's going to start anytime soon. But I do think small victories deserve a pat on the back.

So I'm wishing the kid well tomorrow. He's earned some respect in my book.
    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

2. Post thanked by:

BuffaloRedleg (08-29-2015),djjimkelly (08-28-2015),Oaf (08-28-2015),Yasgur's Farm (08-28-2015)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Turf View Post
    I typed that from my iPad which I hate using hence the lack of thought structure. But yeah, logically its not Cassell and that leaves Tyrod. I see no way EJ moves from 3 to 1.
    On a humorous side note, I've been playing Madden, and our QB's I realized were worse than I thought. In fact EJ was rated the highest. After losing two games, I traded Clay for Manziel, straight up, like that would ever happen, and I've won the last three. Kind of a scary thought.
    Madden trades are the best. I The year we had TO, i traded him to the 49ers for Crabtree AND their first.

4. Post thanked by:

Victor7 (08-28-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,412 Times in 1,994 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Turf View Post
    There's no way EJ gets the number one spot. I think they want to see what they have in him. What I find really odd is Cassell. If he's your starter play him, get him some reps. Game two he doesn't play, game one two series, and what, two more series. How can you name him your stater? Don't you want to see him play? They must feel they need no further evaluation and are comfortable having him be the number one without seeing what he can do. For this reason I think Taylor gets the nod. Taylor made the throws last game, has the speed element, I mean EJ loooks like an Ostrich when he runs, and Taylor has the most upside. If he fails by game 5 you start Cassell.
    I think Cassel is getting the least reps because ideally they don't want him to be the starter and there's not a whole lot they're going to learn about him from preseason games. The guy has like 80 regular season starts over an 11 year career. He is what he is. A mediocre vet qb that doesn't have any real strengths. This preseason should be all about seeing if Tyrod or EJ have the chance to bring anything more to the position.

6. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (08-29-2015),djjimkelly (08-28-2015),Night Train (08-29-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 1,507 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I watched the 2nd pre-season game over again.

I saw that Tyrod did actually look past his first option on a few occasions. His performance was even more impressive to me the second time through.

And EJ actually did do a really good job. Our second string OL is positively terrible, but EJ did pretty well. He really does have some serious accuracy issues as i (and many others) have been apt to point out to the point of it making me nauseous. But overall EJ played real well.
    All Hail Josh Allen! Savior of the Buffalo Bills!

Freedom for the Ukraine. Down with Putin and every traitor in this country that supports him.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,397 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If I remember correctly, I believe EJ had trouble directing proper protection in several Cleveland blitz 3rd Quarter, resulting guys coming in the middle free at him (this is preseason, no game planning on defense). So some of the onslaught was brought on by EJ himself.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    If I remember correctly, I believe EJ had trouble directing proper protection in several Cleveland blitz 3rd Quarter, resulting guys coming in the middle free at him (this is preseason, no game planning on defense). So some of the onslaught was brought on by EJ himself.
    That is a new low.
    Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 08-29-2015 at 06:42 AM.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jimkelly12203 View Post
    you'd have to be delusional to think otherwise.
    That's half the posting here all year 'round.

11. Post thanked by:

Jimkelly12203 (08-29-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    I have no way of knowing this. But it wouldn't surprise me.

RGIII is getting crushed out there and it's not his OLs fault. I wouldn't be surprised if EJ had some of the same issues. But even if that is the case, he rebounded quite well after a very shaky first two possessions.

He just drives me nuts. He's everything you could ever want in a QB. Tall, strong, smart, good looking (for the ladies), charismatic, big arm... EVERYTHING! But then he throws ducks all over the place. Most of them are catchable. Few are ideal.

IN the end, wide open shots get missed and WRs get blown up too often for it to be viable. You can forget about being productive in the yards after the catch department because he's never going to hit a guy in stride (aside from by sheer luck of the draw).

But he's so painfully close to being a great QB it makes you want to scream!
    Last edited by Jimkelly12203; 08-29-2015 at 07:51 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    That's half the posting here all year 'round.
    I just assume everyone is super rational and has zero emotion about this crap. But that would be wrong. It would be a lot less interesting if people didn't think with their emotions though so its cool. Astonishing at times, but definitely cool.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

But everyone's missing the biggest question, can EJ lip sync as good as this guy?

https://instagram.com/p/6sUtuAsmSn/
    Last edited by The Jokeman; 08-29-2015 at 08:19 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    But everyone's missing the biggest question, can EJ lip sync as good as this guy?

https://instagram.com/p/6sUtuAsmSn/
    Painful.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,397 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    That is a new low.
    The one quite obvious was his sack by a Browns DT who came untouched in the 3rd Quarter. The Browns showed blitz with a safety which resulted 7 on 6 (one unblocked). I remember EJ motioned RB to the edge help and Kouandijo looked back at EJ for a bit extended time. I would think you either change the play or set up such that you are ready to throw the ball (or move around to buy a bit time) before the DE gets there. I've never seen any QB does not direct someone in way of a DT allowing a clean shot.