Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rumor - Inside Info on QB

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Rumor - Inside Info on QB

I know a few people and texted them, not expecting a response. Received this back.

Roman is leaning towards Cassel. Front office and many other coaches like Taylor.

Rex is torn. He probably likes Taylor but respects Roman.

Take it at face value.

If it's about fewest mistakes and committing to the run and big D, then Cassel is the choice. ( Me guessing ). That's probably what Roman is thinking...for now.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 912 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Rumor - Inside Info on QB

I'll be very disappointed if it's Cassel. He can prove me wrong by winning the first two games.
    "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

3. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (08-31-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,027 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I thought Tasker made a great point yesterday. If Cassell is the QB, you better be good on 3rd down, because you're going to see a 3rd and 5 every set of downs. Hell, they have all these big play guys at skill positions; might as well play a guy that will go downfield once and awhile.
    "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

5. Post thanked by:

Don't Panic (09-01-2015),Jimkelly12203 (08-30-2015),kishoph (08-31-2015),Mr. Miyagi (08-30-2015),The last buffalo fan (08-31-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Thurmal View Post
    I thought Tasker made a great point yesterday. If Cassell is the QB, you better be good on 3rd down, because you're going to see a 3rd and 5 every set of downs. Hell, they have all these big play guys at skill positions; might as well play a guy that will go downfield once and awhile.
    I agree. This is one time I hope the owner meddles and tells Rex and Roman he wants Taylor. Might be wrong but I'd rather try and fail than not try at all. I wonder if the skill players will speak up.

7. Post thanked by:

Thurmal (08-30-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 4,053 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The fans will riot if it's Cassel. The stadium was DEAD when he went into the game. The energy level was palpable for EJ. It was ELECTRIC for Tyrod. But when Matt Cassel was playing in between them, it was like we all collectively decided to do our impression of a New England Patriots football.

9. Post thanked by:

notacon (09-01-2015),The last buffalo fan (08-31-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,027 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    I agree. This is one time I hope the owner meddles and tells Rex and Roman he wants Taylor. Might be wrong but I'd rather try and fail than not try at all. I wonder if the skill players will speak up.
    Of course, we don't know what's really going on. They may be telling Cassell just to dump it off and not do anything just to avoid showing their hand. He's got a ceiling though. There is something exciting about the fact that Taylor has never really gotten a chance to play and actually looks good. One thing I like about the guy is that, unlike a lot of running QBs, he actually looks to throw first and only takes off if there are no options.

11. Post thanked by:

Jimkelly12203 (08-30-2015),Night Train (08-30-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's amazing to me how fans on this board aren't really mentioning the fact that just about ALL of our starting skill players haven't been playing these preseason games much, if at all. All of our running backs and WRs have been injured enough to not play in these games, basically. I mean Goodwin was our #1 receiver against the Steelers until he got hurt...then it was Easley. The players that have been running the ball won't even be on the team come opening week probably. Hill, Seale, and Wood? C'mon, these are the guys running the ball.

Doesn't anybody find this significant when they evaluate the QBs from their couch? The QBs won't even be throwing to the guys they've been throwing to in these "games" once the season starts. So the QBs that have spent more time with the 2s and 3s probably have developed better chemistry with the receivers we seen this preseason, for one thing. Also, other things like this. The offense will be an entirely different beast once the actual starting skill players come back. This is definitely a major point to consider.
    Last edited by feldspar; 08-30-2015 at 07:22 PM.

13. Post thanked by:

Jimkelly12203 (08-30-2015),Night Train (08-30-2015),thenry20 (08-31-2015),WagonCircler (08-30-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    It's amazing to me how fans on this board aren't really mentioning the fact that just about ALL of our starting skill players haven't been playing these preseason games much, if at all. All of our running backs and WRs have been injured enough to not play in these games, basically. I mean Goodwin was our #1 receiver against the Steelers until he got hurt...then it was Easley. The players that have been running the ball won't even be on the team come opening week probably. Hill, Seale, and Wood? C'mon, these are the guys running the ball.

Doesn't anybody find this significant when they evaluate the QBs from their couch? The QBs won't even be throwing to the guys they've been throwing to in these "games" once the season starts. So the QBs that have spent more time with the 2s and 3s probably have developed better chemistry with the receivers we seen this preseason, for one thing. Also, other things like this. The offense will be an entirely different beast once the actual starting skill players come back. This is definitely a major point to consider.
    I respect that.

I guess my thinking is anyone can hand off the ball. What about getting the ball downfield to Woods, Watkins and Clay ? I have serious doubts about Cassel beyond 10 yards, unless we are going heavy with quick slants. Cassel doesn't move from the pocket much and a batted ball yesterday should have been INT'd. He's far from clean.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Regardless, listening to Rex's presser after yesterday's game, he's been careful saying the decision will be for the good of the team, TEAM (as a totality) as he stressed.

You can interpret that remark as a caution on offensive output. The team is tilted towards defense, so maybe they don't need offense to take risk. I always thought Rex wants to be conservative whereas Roman would push for more aggressive QBs.

feldspar's point is well taken. In fact Rex mentioned it as well. This is where all the Buffalo media folks are still banking on Cassel, who had the most reps with the actual WR/RB you will on against Colts, whereas both Tyrod and EJ's play in the games are with guys who may not get a snap in real games.

I do have a curious question though. If Cassel is the starter, I'd not expect Rex to announce Simm is going to start and play the entire 4th game right away yesterday. At the minimum, wouldn't you give EJ as much play as possible just for his development now that it seems he's shown growth this year?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ICRockets View Post
    The fans will riot if it's Cassel. The stadium was DEAD when he went into the game. The energy level was palpable for EJ. It was ELECTRIC for Tyrod. But when Matt Cassel was playing in between them, it was like we all collectively decided to do our impression of a New England Patriots football.
    Its funny you say that. I said the exact same thing about the Pats impression to my dad, who responded that he would take the Super Bowls. But I agree with you. Cassel brings a slow and boring style of play, and he is a a boring choice. Dick Jauron-esqe. Kind of like starting Matt Flynn over a rookie in Seattle would have been a few years ago.

Im not an EJ believer, but I am really impressed with how he looked the last two weeks. It's almost like he finally turned the corner, but perhaps a little too late. I'm sold on Tyrod (he would be my choice to start), and I don't know what else he could have done in the games to have made his case. I wonder what the locker room thinks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I hope Rex give Pete Carroll a call before he makes the QB decision. Carroll was not going to roll with Wilson as his QB at the beginning. Like Rex, he planned on a stout defense and Lynch to run the ball. But he had the guts to go with Wilson because he saw Wilson has "it" despite being raw and no typical QB size.

If you believe you are a football mind, go with your gut feeling.

18. Post thanked by:

Jimkelly12203 (08-30-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I respect that.

I guess my thinking is anyone can hand off the ball. What about getting the ball downfield to Woods, Watkins and Clay ? I have serious doubts about Cassel beyond 10 yards, unless we are going heavy with quick slants. Cassel doesn't move from the pocket much and a batted ball yesterday should have been INT'd. He's far from clean.
    Things haven't changed much in my mind at least.

I don't look at these three preseason games and conclude that we have three good quarterbacks. I still think it likely that we have three middle-of-the-road quarterbacks...maybe even at best. The only real question is which one is better suited for the system the Bills want to run, which is harder to determine because the main players haven't been playing in these preseason games, like I said. Also, you gotta remember that the majority of action in these games hasn't been against the OTHER team's starters, either. Not that I'm hung up on Cassel starting or anything, but has he even faced another team's backup defense this preseason? I don't really know.

Taylor is the real Wildcard because he's never started a real NFL game. Fans latched onto him because sometimes the backup QB is the most popular guy on the team, if you see what I mean. He's shown some skill, though, and has looked a lot better than I thought he would. I take that with a grain of salt. You can wind up with a Rob Johnson or Matt Flynn if you base your assessment on a couple of games, let alone segments of PRESEASON games. EJ is the 1st round pick you hope has improved...he does look like he's improved with the 30 or so throws I saw him attempt, but I've definitely seen the old bad tendencies come to the surface too. We have a much better idea of who Cassel is based on his body of work. Could be he could take the next step and thrive in the right system...then again, maybe not...but maybe.

There are risks any which way you want to spin it, and some fans are going to be upset no matter what the decision is. There are TONS AND TONS of other variables that play in that the fans just don't see, which is important to remember too. These preseason games are hardly the end-all.
    Last edited by feldspar; 08-30-2015 at 08:08 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I say bull**** on this. If this was a truly a real 3 man competition for the staring gig with every quarterback having a equal chance for the gig, then what more could have Taylor and Manuel to a lesser extent could have done more to distance themself from Cassel. Or to ask the question this way. What did Cassel do that Tyrod or EJ didnt do on the field to win the job?

21. Post thanked by:

Jimkelly12203 (08-30-2015),Night Train (08-30-2015)

Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!! Luisito23's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 969 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Thumbs down Re: Rumor - Inside Info on QB

Anyone but that scrub Cassel...I'd even rather see Simms starting than that clown.
    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

23. Post thanked by:

baalworship (08-30-2015),djjimkelly (08-30-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

ABC. Anyone But Cassel. I don't want Bills fans to have to cheer for an injury like the Chiefs fans did when Cassel was playing QB there.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    We have a much better idea of who Cassel is based on his body of work.
    That isn't helping his case at all. His body of work hasn't been that good since camp started.

All QB's have to have a first game. Taylor stated his case quite well. The team moved and scored.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

cassel starting would be tragic it would be the first year ever i wished for the qb to be hurt on the first play of the season

Do you read what you write? Oaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I know a few people and texted them, not expecting a response. Received this back.

Roman is leaning towards Cassel. Front office and many other coaches like Taylor.

Rex is torn. He probably likes Taylor but respects Roman.

Take it at face value.

If it's about fewest mistakes and committing to the run and big D, then Cassel is the choice. ( Me guessing ). That's probably what Roman is thinking...for now.
    Roman picked Kaep over a steady Alex Smith. Our versions are both worse than the 9er counterparts, but I'd be surprised if Roman picked Cassel here.

28. Post thanked by:

BuffaloRedleg (08-30-2015),emoulds80 (08-30-2015),Jimkelly12203 (08-30-2015),SPG (08-31-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 1,507 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Thurmal View Post

Word. That point resonated with me as well. Totally true.

I think Roman is great. Best we've had at that spot in a while. So you gotta respect his choice. But man it's hard to fathom that they'll go with anyone other than TT...
    All Hail Josh Allen! Savior of the Buffalo Bills!

Freedom for the Ukraine. Down with Putin and every traitor in this country that supports him.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,483 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

And what mistakes has Taylor made? He's accurate, can run and avoid sacks like no one else.
    The bottom line is, until real bullets are flying and coaches are game planning against you and coming at you, you don't know who's going to be able and respond to real pressure. I know EJ is weak in that area. Cassell is so so. Taylor we don't know. I just don't see how you give the job to Cassell and start Simms in the fourth game when he's had a handful of plays. It all makes no sense. Name your starter and let him start the fourth game.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.