Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not a big fan of starting Tyrod

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Not a big fan of starting Tyrod

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    None?

Yet how many times have the Bills tried it? Holcolmb, Nall, T. Jackson, Kolb, etc, etc, etc.... OBD never learns.

Russ Brandon is still the common thread to all this craptastic QBing.
    The Bills keep thinking they can achieve success their own way - and ignore proven models for success that most other teams use; ie, get a FRANCHISE QB, not some scrub. You can't take a journeyman back up QB and anoint him the starter, ala Fitzpatrick, and think you'll get very far in the playoffs, if at all.

This team is STILL paying for the failures of the Brandon/Nix/Gailey/Levy Era.

And yeah, Brandon was an integral part in shaping many, many years of on-field failure for this team. To me, it's just amazing that he still has a job with the organization. The Bills never fail to over-achieve - at disappointing.

This lowly cart.... it hits harder and has a higher yards
    per play average than the Bills' offense!

2. Post thanked by:

TacklingDummy (09-08-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Oaf View Post
    Rob Johnson? Drew Bledsoe?
    Exactly. LOL

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
    You can't keep a backup QB after his rookie contract is up, so your "said team not really interested in keeping him" is total nonsense. Denver & the Bills both wanted Tyrod.
    For the record, HOFers Brett Favre & Steve Young were backups acquired from another team. Drew Brees was a UFA who went from SD to NO, as did Peyton Manning from Ind to Den. Jim Plunkett went from the scrap heap to Super Bowl winning QB, and Kurt Warner bounced around before & after winning the Super Bowl & led Arizona to another one & just missed winning it. Had enough, or do I need to add Doug Williams coming off the bench & leading Washington to a championship.
    LOL. Manning was a 1st Round Draft Pick by Indy, and passed for 3700 yds in his ROOKIE season.

I think when Denver aquired him, he was something of a proven commodity to say the least.

Steve Young was a backup to Joe Montana -he was a known commodity to San Fran when they started him. They didn't pull him from the Bucs and start him immediately. They developed him under Montana.

Tyrod Taylor has spent FOUR years with Baltimore - and has accumulated only 120 yds, and 2 interceptions.

Cream rises to the top; My opinion is THIS - IF Taylor could do something, he would have by now. He's spent 4 years in the league.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve View Post
    LOL. Manning was a 1st Round Draft Pick by Indy, and passed for 3700 yds in his ROOKIE season.

I think when Denver aquired him, he was something of a proven commodity to say the least.

Steve Young was a backup to Joe Montana -he was a known commodity to San Fran when they started him. They didn't pull him from the Bucs and start him immediately. They developed him under Montana.

Tyrod Taylor has spent FOUR years with Baltimore - and has accumulated only 120 yds, and 2 interceptions.

Cream rises to the top; My opinion is THIS - IF Taylor could do something, he would have by now. He's spent 4 years in the league.
    Tyrod is RJ part 2 except RJ had more excitement behind him because he was a more "proven QB". I'm holding my breath but all things considered I think EJ is the best QB we have.

6. Post thanked by:

Yasgur's Farm (09-02-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Not really. Apparently, the Ravens weren't even willing to trade him. Dunno what the price offered was.

The other scenarios you mentioned aren't close to the same thing here.

Taylor was behind Flacco and had zero chance of starting or even playing in relevant moments in his four years in Baltimore. This should be no knock on him, or something to hold against his potential in any way. No QB was ever going to be in a position to step in front of what the Ravens have done these past four years.

The thing that should be said is that it's probably now or never for Taylor. He's had his learning time, although he probably needs to learn on the field more. He didn't have a chance to prove himself as the starter until now. We'll see what happens. At least it's interesting to most fans.
    Last edited by feldspar; 09-01-2015 at 05:19 PM.

8. Post thanked by:

John Doe (09-01-2015),Mace (09-01-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sixth round draft pick by Baltimore. Minimal regular season stats to date despite 4 years with the Ravens, and what there is isn't all that pretty (199 yards, 47.2 rating).

So how many other NFL teams have acquired a backup QB from another team, said team not really interested in keeping him, and then molded him into a playoff game winning machine?
    Point taken, but Brett Facre and sorta Drew Brees (since SD was going with Rivers the next season) both come to mind.

Deslite his career numbers, you have to admit Tyrod has looked really good for us. Given his similarity to Kaepernick, gotta believe Roman will know how to play to his strengths.

- - - Updated - - -

Sixth round draft pick by Baltimore. Minimal regular season stats to date despite 4 years with the Ravens, and what there is isn't all that pretty (199 yards, 47.2 rating).

So how many other NFL teams have acquired a backup QB from another team, said team not really interested in keeping him, and then molded him into a playoff game winning machine?
    Point taken, but Brett Facre and sorta Drew Brees (since SD was going with Rivers the next season) both come to mind.

Deslite his career numbers, you have to admit Tyrod has looked really good for us. Given his similarity to Kaepernick, gotta believe Roman will know how to play to his strengths.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Later View Post

- - - Updated - - -

37 posts in 8 years.

"Deslite," his career numbers, Later thinks he's saying something meaningful.

Helen Keller could make a better point about football compared to what you have to offer.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

At what point would have had the opportunity? He was the backup to one of the most durable QBs in the league, Flacco literally has not missed a single start since he was drafted.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

12. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (09-01-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I never knew X-Era's nickname is Special Ed.

He's trying to be a witch but he's not very good at it.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,948 Times in 3,500 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Behind a SB winning QB that makes 20m a year. Great point.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    Behind a SB winning QB that makes 20m a year. Great point.
    So how many great starting QBs have spent 4 to 5 YEARS as backups before being discovered that they were amazing starters? I suppose there's a few; but it's not the usual path to greatness that great QBs in this league follow.

Look at these stats; this is the QB Payroll for teams

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/quarterback/

We're near the bottom - and that's only because Cassell is getting paid more than 2X as much as Manuele and Tie-Rod combined. IF you cut Cassell's salary in half, we'd be near the bottom of the barrell. And look at the craptastic teams who are neck and neck with us.... Miami, Tennessee, Cleveland.... do you see any of those teams charging deep into the post-season? I don't.

Our starter... is getting $830k this year. LOL

Look at other starters.....

Seahawks - $7 million

Pittsburgh - $17.2 million
    Giants - $19.7 million
    New Orleans - $26 million
    New England - $16 million
    Colts - $7 million
    Green Bay - $18 million
    Broncos - $17.5 million
    Ravens - $14.5 million

Apparently, Russ Brandon and Bumbling Ol' Buddy Nix's training-wheel acolyte, Whaley, think they can do it differently than everyone else. They're SMARTER than the teams that have been competitive in the post-season for years.

That's been the Bills problem for years - they will NOT spend the money to get a top-shelf QB!!!!! The Bills have wasted more than a decade cheaping out at the QB position.

Odds are, in the modern NFL, your team is going NOWHERE without a top-shelf QB

Tie-Rod - yeah, he could be the greatest thing since sliced bread..... but odds are HE ISN'T. The safe money is on him being a qualified backup QB at best, since that's what he's done for his entire career.

Some of this knee-jerk support for Tie-Rod sounds much like the knee jerk support I've been reading here for the past 12 years for Loseman, for Blitzpatrick, for Manuel..... The Bills will put garbage on the field, and inevitably someone here will think or say to wit, "Boy, that could be a REAL clever decision"

But how often has it been? LOL The good teams are spending money for a QB. The crap teams... they aren't. Bottom line.
    Last edited by Cleve; 09-02-2015 at 01:15 PM.

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,923 Times in 4,374 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    I never knew X-Era's nickname is Special Ed.

He's trying to be a witch but he's not very good at it.
    Give the guy a break, after going thru names like JPEra, RJEra, HolcombEra, FitzEra, he gave up and went with X-Era

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

So how many great starting QBs have spent 4 to 5 YEARS as backups before being discovered that they were amazing starters? I suppose there's a few; but it's not the usual path to greatness that great QBs in this league follow.
    That's true, most great QBs are initially starters - unless they are drafted behind an already great player. Aaron Rodgers, Matt Hasselbeck, Kurt Warner all sat or got cut because none of them could dislodge Brett Favre. Running down Taylor because he hasn't accomplished anything yet ignores that he has never had a realistic opportunity to start until now.

But how often has it been? LOL The good teams are spending money for a QB. The crap teams... they aren't. Bottom line.
    This is backwards. Spending more on a QB doesn't make him good. We learned that much when we threw money at Ryan Fitzpatrick. You have to find a QB, then you pay him more.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post

This is backwards. Spending more on a QB doesn't make him good. We learned that much when we threw money at Ryan Fitzpatrick. You have to find a QB, then you pay him more.
    Very true; I didn't write it, but my unstated assumption was that teams are spending more for quality QBs. And no, giving a scrub big bucks just means he's a highly paid scrub - doesn't improve the team or increase success.

And the Bills, with the re-signing of Cassel at $900k, now are 2nd from the bottom in QB spend at $3.3 million. The only team spending less... is the Oakland Raiders at $1.8 million, but they only have 2 QBs signed; the Bills have 3.

http://www.wgr550.com/Rex-Cassel-2-EJ-3-QB/21940434

Like I said, Tie-Rod could be the greatest thing since sliced-bread. Odds are though his performance will be what one expects from a $900k QB these days.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Very true; I didn't write it, but my unstated assumption was that teams are spending more for quality QBs. And no, giving a scrub big bucks just means he's a highly paid scrub - doesn't improve the team or increase success.

And the Bills, with the re-signing of Cassel at $900k, now are 2nd from the bottom in QB spend at $3.3 million. The only team spending less... is the Oakland Raiders at $1.8 million, but they only have 2 QBs signed; the Bills have 3.

http://www.wgr550.com/Rex-Cassel-2-EJ-3-QB/21940434

Like I said, Tie-Rod could be the greatest thing since sliced-bread. Odds are though his performance will be what one expects from a $900k QB these days.
    I can agree with that strongly. It's just that QB is not like other positions. If you really, really want elite WR play or elite DE play or w/e, you can usually find some just by hammering the FA market or trading for another team's onerous contract. That's what we did with our DL, we invested a lot of money in bringing in an all pro DE and re-signging our all pro DT and got the sack title for it.

But it doesn't matter how badly you want a QB, you generally can't spend your way out of that corner. Teams just don't let them hit the market. Manning only became an FA because his neck was so injured that there was legitimate concern he might be paralyzed the next time he was sacked AND Indianapolis held the pick for another can't miss once in a generation QB talent. If Luck goes back to school, Manning likely never leaves the Colts.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,591 Times in 17,465 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Don't kid yourselves...we're ALL gonna be pretty big Taylor fans come kickoff this Sunday. If he crashes and burns? We'll see...
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    37 posts in 8 years.

"Deslite," his career numbers, Later thinks he's saying something meaningful.

Helen Keller could make a better point about football compared to what you have to offer.
    Quality over quantity idiot. Learn a lesson.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Don't kid yourselves...we're ALL gonna be pretty big Taylor fans come kickoff this Sunday. If he crashes and burns? We'll see...
    Nope

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I want to see him passing not running...

I don't want to have a run first QB.

We have Sammy, Robert, Harvin, and Clay. I want them to be productive and integral pieces of the offense.

It's always a worry with QB's that can run that they will rely to heavily on their legs.
    Last edited by X-Era; 09-09-2015 at 05:02 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    Why?

We have one of the best young WR threats in Sammy Watkins, a rock solid WR in Robert Woods, a playmaking downfield threat in Percy Harvin, and you signed a receiving TE threat to a monster contract in Charles Clay...

Yet we're starting a QB who doesn't throw downfield and hasn't thrown a TD in the NFL ever?

Dink and dunk won't win games. Points do. Run heavy? sure. But defenses simply stack the box.

If you want a legit playoff contender you have to be able to score through the air as well. I don't need Tyrod to be a stud passer. But he has to show he can at least throw to our WR weapons in the intermediate to long routes and throw TD's in the red zone.

This move potentially makes our offense one dimensional, limited in the pass game, and possibly easier to defend against.

I hope to hell he throws well and averages 2 TD's a game. I'm rooting for him but this move seems risky to me.
    We have all that WR and TE talent but want a noodle arm like Cassel playing? BRILLIANT!
    10 Commandments of the D
    1. Never stop Rocking.
    2. Legalize all drugs.
    3. Quit your day job.
    4. All Religion should be taxed.
    5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
    6. F**k her gently.
    7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
    8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
    9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
    10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by PromoTheRobot View Post
    We have all that WR and TE talent but want a noodle arm like Cassel playing? BRILLIANT!
    Not a huge fan of any of our options. But, Cassel is a pocket passer who will pass the ball first. If Tyrod favors tucking and running over pushing it with his throws we could suffer on offense and lose games.

I hope he shows he will throw the ball often, spread the ball around, and will run very infrequently.