• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Later
    • Oct 2007

Re: Not a big fan of starting Tyrod

Originally posted by Cleve View Post
    Sixth round draft pick by Baltimore. Minimal regular season stats to date despite 4 years with the Ravens, and what there is isn't all that pretty (199 yards, 47.2 rating).

So how many other NFL teams have acquired a backup QB from another team, said team not really interested in keeping him, and then molded him into a playoff game winning machine?
    Point taken, but Brett Facre and sorta Drew Brees (since SD was going with Rivers the next season) both come to mind.

Deslite his career numbers, you have to admit Tyrod has looked really good for us. Given his similarity to Kaepernick, gotta believe Roman will know how to play to his strengths.

- - - Updated - - -

Sixth round draft pick by Baltimore. Minimal regular season stats to date despite 4 years with the Ravens, and what there is isn't all that pretty (199 yards, 47.2 rating).

So how many other NFL teams have acquired a backup QB from another team, said team not really interested in keeping him, and then molded him into a playoff game winning machine?
    Point taken, but Brett Facre and sorta Drew Brees (since SD was going with Rivers the next season) both come to mind.

Deslite his career numbers, you have to admit Tyrod has looked really good for us. Given his similarity to Kaepernick, gotta believe Roman will know how to play to his strengths.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Later View Post

- - - Updated - - -

37 posts in 8 years.

"Deslite," his career numbers, Later thinks he's saying something meaningful.

Helen Keller could make a better point about football compared to what you have to offer.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
        • Sep 2012

LOL. Manning was a 1st Round Draft Pick by Indy, and passed for 3700 yds in his ROOKIE season.

I think when Denver aquired him, he was something of a proven commodity to say the least.

Steve Young was a backup to Joe Montana -he was a known commodity to San Fran when they started him. They didn't pull him from the Bucs and start him immediately. They developed him under Montana.

Tyrod Taylor has spent FOUR years with Baltimore - and has accumulated only 120 yds, and 2 interceptions.

Cream rises to the top; My opinion is THIS - IF Taylor could do something, he would have by now. He's spent 4 years in the league.
        At what point would have had the opportunity? He was the backup to one of the most durable QBs in the league, Flacco literally has not missed a single start since he was drafted.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• BillsImpossible
          • Mar 2013

I never knew X-Era's nickname is Special Ed.

He's trying to be a witch but he's not very good at it.

Comment

• Bill Cody
            • Sep 2004

Cream rises to the top; My opinion is THIS - IF Taylor could do something, he would have by now. He's spent 4 years in the league.
            Behind a SB winning QB that makes 20m a year. Great point.

Comment

• Cleve
              • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
              Behind a SB winning QB that makes 20m a year. Great point.
              So how many great starting QBs have spent 4 to 5 YEARS as backups before being discovered that they were amazing starters? I suppose there's a few; but it's not the usual path to greatness that great QBs in this league follow.

Look at these stats; this is the QB Payroll for teams

NFL homepage listing out teams, transactions and the latest news.

We're near the bottom - and that's only because Cassell is getting paid more than 2X as much as Manuele and Tie-Rod combined. IF you cut Cassell's salary in half, we'd be near the bottom of the barrell. And look at the craptastic teams who are neck and neck with us.... Miami, Tennessee, Cleveland.... do you see any of those teams charging deep into the post-season? I don't.

Our starter... is getting $830k this year. LOL

Look at other starters.....

Seahawks - $7 million

Pittsburgh - $17.2 million
              Giants - $19.7 million
              New Orleans - $26 million
              New England - $16 million
              Colts - $7 million
              Green Bay - $18 million
              Broncos - $17.5 million
              Ravens - $14.5 million

Apparently, Russ Brandon and Bumbling Ol' Buddy Nix's training-wheel acolyte, Whaley, think they can do it differently than everyone else. They're SMARTER than the teams that have been competitive in the post-season for years.

That's been the Bills problem for years - they will NOT spend the money to get a top-shelf QB!!!!! The Bills have wasted more than a decade cheaping out at the QB position.

Odds are, in the modern NFL, your team is going NOWHERE without a top-shelf QB

Tie-Rod - yeah, he could be the greatest thing since sliced bread..... but odds are HE ISN'T. The safe money is on him being a qualified backup QB at best, since that's what he's done for his entire career.

Some of this knee-jerk support for Tie-Rod sounds much like the knee jerk support I've been reading here for the past 12 years for Loseman, for Blitzpatrick, for Manuel..... The Bills will put garbage on the field, and inevitably someone here will think or say to wit, "Boy, that could be a REAL clever decision"

But how often has it been? LOL The good teams are spending money for a QB. The crap teams... they aren't. Bottom line.
              Last edited by Cleve; 09-02-2015, 01:15 PM.

This lowly cart.... it hits harder and has a higher yards
              per play average than the Bills' offense!

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                Unreachable Douche
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
                I never knew X-Era's nickname is Special Ed.

He's trying to be a witch but he's not very good at it.
                Give the guy a break, after going thru names like JPEra, RJEra, HolcombEra, FitzEra, he gave up and went with X-Era

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                  • Sep 2012

So how many great starting QBs have spent 4 to 5 YEARS as backups before being discovered that they were amazing starters? I suppose there's a few; but it's not the usual path to greatness that great QBs in this league follow.
                  That's true, most great QBs are initially starters - unless they are drafted behind an already great player. Aaron Rodgers, Matt Hasselbeck, Kurt Warner all sat or got cut because none of them could dislodge Brett Favre. Running down Taylor because he hasn't accomplished anything yet ignores that he has never had a realistic opportunity to start until now.

But how often has it been? LOL The good teams are spending money for a QB. The crap teams... they aren't. Bottom line.
                  This is backwards. Spending more on a QB doesn't make him good. We learned that much when we threw money at Ryan Fitzpatrick. You have to find a QB, then you pay him more.

Comment

• Cleve
                    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post

This is backwards. Spending more on a QB doesn't make him good. We learned that much when we threw money at Ryan Fitzpatrick. You have to find a QB, then you pay him more.
                    Very true; I didn't write it, but my unstated assumption was that teams are spending more for quality QBs. And no, giving a scrub big bucks just means he's a highly paid scrub - doesn't improve the team or increase success.

And the Bills, with the re-signing of Cassel at $900k, now are 2nd from the bottom in QB spend at $3.3 million. The only team spending less... is the Oakland Raiders at $1.8 million, but they only have 2 QBs signed; the Bills have 3.

Western New York’s number one source for daily sports talk and play-by-play as the flagship station of the Bills and Sabres. Stream, read and download WGR 550 AM from any device on Audacy

Like I said, Tie-Rod could be the greatest thing since sliced-bread. Odds are though his performance will be what one expects from a $900k QB these days.

This lowly cart.... it hits harder and has a higher yards
                    per play average than the Bills' offense!

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                      • Sep 2012

Very true; I didn't write it, but my unstated assumption was that teams are spending more for quality QBs. And no, giving a scrub big bucks just means he's a highly paid scrub - doesn't improve the team or increase success.

And the Bills, with the re-signing of Cassel at $900k, now are 2nd from the bottom in QB spend at $3.3 million. The only team spending less... is the Oakland Raiders at $1.8 million, but they only have 2 QBs signed; the Bills have 3.

Western New York’s number one source for daily sports talk and play-by-play as the flagship station of the Bills and Sabres. Stream, read and download WGR 550 AM from any device on Audacy

Like I said, Tie-Rod could be the greatest thing since sliced-bread. Odds are though his performance will be what one expects from a $900k QB these days.
                      I can agree with that strongly. It's just that QB is not like other positions. If you really, really want elite WR play or elite DE play or w/e, you can usually find some just by hammering the FA market or trading for another team's onerous contract. That's what we did with our DL, we invested a lot of money in bringing in an all pro DE and re-signging our all pro DT and got the sack title for it.

But it doesn't matter how badly you want a QB, you generally can't spend your way out of that corner. Teams just don't let them hit the market. Manning only became an FA because his neck was so injured that there was legitimate concern he might be paralyzed the next time he was sacked AND Indianapolis held the pick for another can't miss once in a generation QB talent. If Luck goes back to school, Manning likely never leaves the Colts.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Don't kid yourselves...we're ALL gonna be pretty big Taylor fans come kickoff this Sunday. If he crashes and burns? We'll see...
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Swiper
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
                          37 posts in 8 years.

"Deslite," his career numbers, Later thinks he's saying something meaningful.

Helen Keller could make a better point about football compared to what you have to offer.
                          Quality over quantity idiot. Learn a lesson.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                          Don't kid yourselves...we're ALL gonna be pretty big Taylor fans come kickoff this Sunday. If he crashes and burns? We'll see...
                          Nope

Comment

• X-Era
                            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                            • Feb 2005

I want to see him passing not running...

I don't want to have a run first QB.

We have Sammy, Robert, Harvin, and Clay. I want them to be productive and integral pieces of the offense.

It's always a worry with QB's that can run that they will rely to heavily on their legs.
                            Last edited by X-Era; 09-09-2015, 05:02 AM.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                              Why?

We have one of the best young WR threats in Sammy Watkins, a rock solid WR in Robert Woods, a playmaking downfield threat in Percy Harvin, and you signed a receiving TE threat to a monster contract in Charles Clay...

Yet we're starting a QB who doesn't throw downfield and hasn't thrown a TD in the NFL ever?

Dink and dunk won't win games. Points do. Run heavy? sure. But defenses simply stack the box.

If you want a legit playoff contender you have to be able to score through the air as well. I don't need Tyrod to be a stud passer. But he has to show he can at least throw to our WR weapons in the intermediate to long routes and throw TD's in the red zone.

This move potentially makes our offense one dimensional, limited in the pass game, and possibly easier to defend against.

I hope to hell he throws well and averages 2 TD's a game. I'm rooting for him but this move seems risky to me.
                              We have all that WR and TE talent but want a noodle arm like Cassel playing? BRILLIANT!
                              10 Commandments of the D
                              1. Never stop Rocking.
                              2. Legalize all drugs.
                              3. Quit your day job.
                              4. All Religion should be taxed.
                              5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
                              6. F**k her gently.
                              7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
                              8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
                              9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
                              10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• X-Era
                                What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by PromoTheRobot View Post
                                We have all that WR and TE talent but want a noodle arm like Cassel playing? BRILLIANT!
                                Not a huge fan of any of our options. But, Cassel is a pocket passer who will pass the ball first. If Tyrod favors tucking and running over pushing it with his throws we could suffer on offense and lose games.

I hope he shows he will throw the ball often, spread the ball around, and will run very infrequently.

Comment

Working...
                                X