Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should The NFL Get Rid of Automatic Playoff Berths For Division Winners?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Should The NFL Get Rid of Automatic Playoff Berths For Division Winners?

If the Bills finish 9-7 or better and don't make the playoffs, but the Colts or Texans do make the playoffs with 8-8 records or worse, that would be a horrible way to end this season.

Who wants to watch an 8-8 or worse team in the playoffs over a 9-7 or better team?

Shouldn't wins count more than losses, regardless of the division a team is in?

What's it going to take? A 6-10 "Division Winner," to change the rule?

I think there will come a day when the NFL will change this rule and hope to the football gods that the 2015 Bills aren't the reason why.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,585 Times in 17,461 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Should The NFL Get Rid of Automatic Playoff Berths For Division Winners?

Win your own division and it's a moot point. I would say no. What's next, taking away home field advantage because a very strong team in an otherwise really weak division pads their overall record by beating up on the wannabes for 6 games each season?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

3. Post thanked by:

Mace (11-18-2015),ticatfan (11-18-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Win your own division and it's a moot point. I would say no. What's next, taking away home field advantage because a very strong team in an otherwise really weak division pads their overall record by beating up on the wannabes for 6 games each season?
    The teams with the most wins should get home field advantage, not the teams that won their weak ass divisions.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's a valid argument but you have to reward teams for inter-divisional accomplishments, which ironically is also a tie-breaker.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,585 Times in 17,461 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    The teams with the most wins should get home field advantage, not the teams that won their weak ass divisions.
    They are usually the same.

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If the Bills finish 9-7 or better and don't make the playoffs, but the Colts or Texans do make the playoffs with 8-8 records or worse, that would be a horrible way to end this season.

Who wants to watch an 8-8 or worse team in the playoffs over a 9-7 or better team?

I think there will come a day when the NFL will change this rule and hope to the football gods that the 2015 Bills aren't the reason why.
    Why should you let a team into the playoffs that did not win their division and who also did not have a better record than two other teams that also did not win their division?

At least with a division winner you can say pretty clearly that one team is better than the other 3 who have played each other more than once and had a similar schedule.

8. Post thanked by:

Mace (11-18-2015)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think division winners do deserve an automatic spot but not guaranteed home field in the wild card round.

10. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (11-18-2015),BuffaloRedleg (11-18-2015),gebobs (11-18-2015),jimmifli (11-18-2015),Mace (11-18-2015),OpIv37 (11-18-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    I think division winners do deserve an automatic spot but not guaranteed home field in the wild card round.
    That seems sensible. By the way, remember when the Seahawks went 7-9, won their division and then proceeded to tear up the playoffs? And how 'bout those 9-7 Giants who won the Super Bowl?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by tomz View Post
    That seems sensible. By the way, remember when the Seahawks went 7-9, won their division and then proceeded to tear up the playoffs? And how 'bout those 9-7 Giants who won the Super Bowl?
    I think the Giants were on the road all 3 playoff games before the Superbowl & had won like 7 straight before making the playoffs, one of the games being a win against the Bills (Bills should of won).

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Absolutely not. You win your division. You make the playoffs.

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

no but they need to get rid of playoff byes. add two teams and have everybody play each week. top seeds will still have it pretty easy against playoff bottom dwellers
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

15. Post thanked by:

gebobs (11-18-2015)

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah...the byes are an enormous advantage. Four division winners and four wildcards from each conference.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    no but they need to get rid of playoff byes. add two teams and have everybody play each week. top seeds will still have it pretty easy against playoff bottom dwellers
    Quote Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
    Yeah...the byes are an enormous advantage. Four division winners and four wildcards from each conference.
    You guys want half of the NFL to make the playoffs?

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    Yeah, I guess that's a bit much. Then again, it might be the only way we could get to see our team any time soon. :-)
    Last edited by gebobs; 11-18-2015 at 06:36 AM.

19. Post thanked by:

ticatfan (11-18-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,314 Times in 13,736 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    That's what the NHL and NBA do.

21. Post thanked by:

Historian (11-19-2015),Meathead (11-18-2015)

The Meathead of Muslims! ticatfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,538 Times in 2,765 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Weak one yr and strong the next, that would get to confusing.
    Political correctness ( or cancel culture as it is called today) is a doctrine fostered by a delusional ,illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by MSM which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
    Harry S Truman 1941.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
    Yeah, I guess that's a bit much. Then again, it might be the only way we could get to see our team any time soon. :-)
    Ha, that's probably the case but I'm still against having that many teams in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Yeah, and that's one of the things I don't like about those sports. It actually would make more sense for the NFL to have more teams in the playoffs because the season is so short, but that's what makes the NFL regular season so exciting. I don't like watching the regular season of the NBA, NHL, or MLB because the games don't matter as much. The MLB actually does it right I think, they have the longest season (in terms of games played) and have the least amount of playoff teams.

24. Post thanked by:

Mace (11-18-2015),Victor7 (11-18-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,353 Times in 2,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    in the NHL no one complains about it because the 5-8 seeds win the cup about as often as the 1-4 seeds, because goaltending matters so much in the playoffs.

In the nba, it's just a cash grab, because the 5-8 seeds have ZERO chance to win the NBA championship, the nba champions always come from the top 4 seeds, frankly it's rare it's not from a 1st or 2nd seed

The NFL is a bit closer to hockey then it is the NBA, as low seeds do make and win the superbowl. so expanding the playoffs probably will just bring more potential superbowl champions into the playoffs.
    Last edited by Ingtar33; 11-18-2015 at 07:22 AM.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

26. Post thanked by:

BuffaloRedleg (11-18-2015),gebobs (11-18-2015),jamze132 (11-19-2015),OpIv37 (11-18-2015)

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

sure why not. its a stupid game, more teams in the playoffs mean more teams have a chance and more cities get to be involved. good teams still have a big advantage just not an unfair one. in the time when the nfl has made good qbs god they should be forced to get tested the same number of playoff games as every other team

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    sure why not. its a stupid game, more teams in the playoffs mean more teams have a chance and more cities get to be involved. good teams still have a big advantage just not an unfair one. in the time when the nfl has made good qbs god they should be forced to get tested the same number of playoff games as every other team
    That would allow teams that go 8-8 to get into the playoffs, and in 2012 a 7-9 wildcard team would have made the playoffs (either the Dolphins or the Chargers, I don't know who would've won the tiebreaker). I don't think these teams deserve to get into the playoffs.