• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Re: Sabres goal song vote

here is the thing. the song they chose and our ability to like it is based on how good the team is. if they start out hot and the song is "you can call me al" by paul simon, we'll all love it.

if they pick a decent song and we rarely hear it and the team blows, we will also put our hate into the song.

pick something. stay with it...hope the team kicks but, song will be memorable.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
      I like Swords of a Thousand Men, although the Real McKenzies cover is better than the original.

I could live with The Boys are Back because I like Dropkicks but I hate the thought of using a band so closely identified with Boston to celebrate our goals.

The rest of them suck.
      If you wanna go with dropkick, don't go with the newer, flogging molly rip off trash. Remember when DKM used to be a street punk band?
      Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
        If you wanna go with dropkick, don't go with the newer, flogging molly rip off trash. Remember when DKM used to be a street punk band?
        Uh, yeah. I saw them for the first time in either late '97 or early '98 with the original singer who is now with the Street Dogs, at the Boston on the Road tour with the Bosstones in Toronto. I bought their first full album, Do or Die, at Home of the Hits on Elmwood cuz the guy sold it to me on a Friday when it wasn't supposed to be released until the following Tuesday.

And I don't see DKM as Flogging Molly ripoffs now. I see them as caricatures of themselves. When Al Barr took over as lead singer, they took the Sing Loud, Sing Proud and Blackout albums to find themselves, but every album they've made since then sounds like it's trying to be Blackout.

Anyway, I don't disagree with you- I'm just saying that we have 8 choices. Swords of a Thousand Men is the only one that doesn't suck but it's too obscure to win, and the DKM song is the least bad of the remaining seven. It would be great to hear one of their early street punk songs as a goal song, but that isn't going to fly with 90% of the population. And Im ok with that because punk wasn't meant to have mass appeal.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
          • Aug 2012

Uh, yeah. I saw them for the first time in either late '97 or early '98 with the original singer who is now with the Street Dogs, at the Boston on the Road tour with the Bosstones in Toronto. I bought their first full album, Do or Die, at Home of the Hits on Elmwood cuz the guy sold it to me on a Friday when it wasn't supposed to be released until the following Tuesday.

And I don't see DKM as Flogging Molly ripoffs now. I see them as caricatures of themselves. When Al Barr took over as lead singer, they took the Sing Loud, Sing Proud and Blackout albums to find themselves, but every album they've made since then sounds like it's trying to be Blackout.

Anyway, I don't disagree with you- I'm just saying that we have 8 choices. Swords of a Thousand Men is the only one that doesn't suck but it's too obscure to win, and the DKM song is the least bad of the remaining seven. It would be great to hear one of their early street punk songs as a goal song, but that isn't going to fly with 90% of the population. And Im ok with that because punk wasn't meant to have mass appeal.
          I'm just saying. Dropkick was at its best with do or die and the gang's all here. After that... thumbs down.
          Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

I'm just saying. Dropkick was at its best with do or die and the gang's all here. After that... thumbs down.
            I like Blackout and the Irish in me likes the punk covers of Irish songs but I agree.

But let's face it- most 90s punk bands peaked on their 2nd or 3rd album. It's all downhill after people who aren't into punk take notice.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
              • Aug 2012

Not sure if you like them, coheed (not punk) is the same way first two albums were awesome. After that... boooo
              Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Not sure if you like them, coheed (not punk) is the same way first two albums were awesome. After that... boooo
                I tried with them but I couldn't. In the mid 2000's or so, all these bands were trying to figure out how to be punk without sounding like every other punk band, but it had all been done already and so the sound wasn't punk. But in the absence of any new punk bands, they got labeled as punk. Coheed, Against Me, Rise Against, Gaslight Anthem- I tried but its all garbage.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ckg927
                  Not quite Best in the World....
                  • Aug 2012

Let me put this song into the mix: Nathaniel Rateliff and The Night Sweats' "SOB"(only the last 40 seconds or so).
                  John Hemingway(facing certain death): I want to see Buffalo win the Super Bowl.
                  David Coltrane(threatening John): Nobody's going to live that long, pal.

-The John Larroquette Show, "A Dark and Stormy Night", 4/12/94

Comment

• gebobs
                    One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
                    • Sep 2003

You kids. It's not enough your teams scores. You need to hear some silly song.

Ban it all! Only the organ!
                    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• ckg927
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by gebobs View Post

If memory serves, I think St. Louis fires up the organ after a goal. Down in junior hockey, I think Erie and Kitchener use their own goal songs.

Comment

• Dude
                        that slimey ass of an admin at the zone
                        • Feb 2005

Sabredance.

Comment

• DetDannyWilliams
                          Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie.
                          • Feb 2013

I think this song would make a good goal song THE KING "A Little Less Conversation" Elvis from his last ever movie "Live a Little...Love a Little". The Predators play it at their home games since Graceland is 214 Miles away from Nashville

A littleless conversation, a little more action please
                          All this aggravation ain't satisfactioning me
                          A little more bite and a little less bark
                          A little less fight and a little more spark
                          Close your mouth and open up your heart and baby satisfy me
                          Satisfy me baby

Baby close your eyes and listen to the music
                          Drifting through a summer breeze
                          It's a groovy night and I can show you how to use it
                          Come along with me and put your mind at ease

A little less conversation, a little more action please
                          Satisfy me baby

Come on baby I'm tired of talking
                          Grab your coat and let's start walking
                          Come on, come on
                          Come on, come on
                          Come on, come on
                          Don't procrastinate, don't articulate
                          Girl it's getting late, gettin' upset waitin' around

A little less conversation, a little more action please
                          Satisfy me baby

Comment

• ckg927
                            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Dude View Post
                            Sabredance.
                            I recall Marimba Ponies doing a fun version of Sabredance, and I wonder why the Sabres haven't put THAT version up on the big board.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

I'd be fine with just the horn. But let's face it- goal songs aren't going away so we might as well get a good one.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                                • Aug 2012

I'd be fine with just the horn. But let's face it- goal songs aren't going away so we might as well get a good one.
                                The sabres used to have... pretty sure it was like a train engine chugging after the horn. I liked that. Just go simple. Sabres also used to have a high pitched siren too.
                                Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

Working...
                                X