Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The thing about Tyrod.....

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,379 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The thing about Tyrod.....

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Oh...Tyrod was rated #1 in Total QBR for week 3.

That is really impressive!!!
    Until Rodgers played last night.
    Last edited by mightysimi; 09-29-2015 at 08:45 AM.

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Well....I think you are underestimating the amount of time the Bills have had "perpetual failure" at the QB position. Except for Jim Kelly and Jack Kemp
    I'd even argue against Kemp. He was a leader, for sure, but he was not a very good passer. The Bills won those championships on the backs of the defense and a ball-control ground game. When Kemp dropped back to pass, it was nearly as likely to land in an opponent's arms as it was a Bills receiver's. In an 8-team league, the best QBR he had was 5th. In 1964, a championship year, his rating was 9th. Oakland had two QBs with better QBRs.

As for QB's, the franchise has Kelly and everyone else is a distant second, barely worth mentioning.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

3. Post thanked by:

Mace (09-30-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    Last time that happened for the Bills ?? Never ? 1991 ?
    It was the highest QBR rating for a single game for a Bills QB EVER.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/...ignout#image=8
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Tyrod is facing a major learning curve and he will have his ups and downs. His execution also needs refinement, not surprisingly since live action is really the only way to hone those skills and he has had precious little of that. It very much looks like he has what it takes to start negotiating those hurdles so it's entirely reasonable to expect continuing improvement from him.
    While his physical ability has been on display I'm not sure his intangibles have been mentioned enuf because they are an important part of the chemistry with all of his teammates that he is building. He is quietly taking a major role in forging the team's identity and confidence, without which no team can survive the challenges of a long season in an extremely arduous and competitive environment. He's smart that way. He says his job is to take command of the huddle but he leaves the lockerroom leadership to the vets.
    The character issues some players have get a lot of attention but it's worth mentioning that many of the young men who come into the league are quality individuals who really have it together as far as their headspace is concerned. Taylor is one of those. Mature beyond his 26 years. That's an indispensable asset if you aspire to being a top shelf NFL QB.
    Last edited by starrymessenger; 09-30-2015 at 08:39 AM.

6. Post thanked by:

Mad Bomber (09-30-2015)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by starrymessenger View Post
    Tyrod is facing a major learning curve and he will have his ups and downs. His execution also needs refinement, not surprisingly since live action is really the only way to hone those skills and he has had precious little of that. It very much looks like he has what it takes to start negotiating those hurdles so it's entirely reasonable to expect continuing improvement from him.
    While his physical ability has been on display I'm not sure his intangibles have been mentioned enuf because they are an important part of the chemistry with all of his teammates that he is building. He is quietly taking a major role in forging the team's identity and confidence, without which no team can survive the challenges of a long season in an extremely arduous and competitive environment. He's smart that way. He says his job is to take command of the huddle but he leaves the lockerroom leadership to the vets.
    The character issues some players have get a lot of attention but it's worth mentioning that many of the young men who come into the league are quality individuals who really have it together as far as their headspace is concerned. Taylor is one of those. Mature beyond his 26 years. That's an indispensable asset if you aspire to being a top shelf NFL QB.
    It will be interesting to see him vs. CIN.

Taylor will face a deep and capable CIN DL that in their first 3 games has been showing strong DT interior pressure...Atkins has returned to form. Their DEs have generally been setting the edge and getting into the backfield. CIN has been able to rotate fresh DL legs into the game, so far.

LB play has been fair - Burfict is gone on one of those PUP-whatever things and likely won't play this year - if ever again.

The CIN db corps have been playing fairly well. Red flags for CIN is that safety Iloka has some nagging injury issues, and S Reggie Nelson looks to be hitting *the* wall.

So...it should shape up as a good test for Taylor - subject of course to important injuries coming into the contest and how the flags fly for both clubs.
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 09-30-2015 at 11:31 AM.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jimkelly12203 View Post
    It also helps that we finally have a real coaching staff. It's been a while for the Bills since the team has gone out with a great game plan on both sides of the ball. People know what their jobs are and they seem to have a real purpose. In the past we've always had one unit or the other that is flat out embarrassing. And I think a lot of it is beyond Xs and Os. Some people are just good teachers and leaders. You can be the smartest football mind in the world and if you can't communicate with people and motivate them you're going to suck. These coaches do not suck.
    I think that has a lot to do with ownership. Ralph was a great man, but when anyone mentioned paying coaches, head and assistants, Ralph ran for the crazy glue & sealed up his wallet. Owners need to be willing to shell out big bucks for head coaches & assistants. Ralph just didn't believe in that. That's how we ended up with the coaches that have preceded Rex since our last playoff game along with a slew of under-qualified assistants.
    No matter what anyone thought of him when he signed, Rex knows guys around the NFL. That's how he was able to bring in Roman and it was through his connections from his Baltimore days that he had heard about Tyrod. It started with him talking with Cam Cameron years ago. No Rex, no Tyrod.

9. Post thanked by:

gebobs (09-30-2015),Victor7 (11-09-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    It will be interesting to see him vs. CIN.

Taylor will face a deep and capable CIN DL that in their first 3 games has been showing strong DT interior pressure...Atkins has returned to form. Their DEs have generally been setting the edge and getting into the backfield. CIN has been able to rotate fresh DL legs into the game, so far.

LB play has been fair - Burfict is gone on one of those PUP-whatever things and likely won't play this year - if ever again.

The CIN db corps have been playing fairly well. Red flags for CIN is that safety Iloka has some nagging injury issues, and S Reggie Nelson looks to be hitting *the* wall.

So...it should shape up as a good test for Taylor - subject of course to important injuries coming into the contest and how the flags fly for both clubs.
    Agree Bengal D will be a big test for Taylor. Their team overall looks to me to be a lot better than last year. They've gotten some very good players back from injury on both sides of the ball and tho it's early Dalton seems to be taking that "next step".

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

he doesn't doubt himself. that's the difference between ej and tyrod. not taking into account the EJ bashers who will take offense that there are any similarities to their game, what i think EJ does that makes him so inconsistent is that he hesitates. once he's out of the pocket, he doesn't know if he wants to run or pass. and he ends up with a hurried decision and a terrible pass or missed his chance to get yards. in his first season, before the cleveland game injury, he was showing some confidence and it looked like it was coming. but last year and early this preseason, it was the same timid play.

TT doesn't have that timidness. he knows he wants to throw first and keeps scanning until he fully bails. once he knows he's running, he doesn't question it. the only time he looked a little unsure was at the end of the patriots game and with his last throw that got picked off.

I also agree that it's way too early to know what kind of QB we are going to have 2 months from now. but at least we are all upbeat about it. and he seems like a good guy that you want to root for. trent and jp were the last of the guys who were a little too thickheaded that it was easy to turn on them. even fitzy was fun.

12. Post thanked by:

gebobs (09-30-2015)

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Please don't turn into another Trent Edwards.

There. I said it. Sorry.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by starrymessenger View Post
    Agree Bengal D will be a big test for Taylor. Their team overall looks to me to be a lot better than last year. They've gotten some very good players back from injury on both sides of the ball and tho it's early Dalton seems to be taking that "next step".
    It will be an interesting test for the BUF D, too. The CIN OL is playing well enough - 2nd year C Bodine likely presents the best opportunity for Dareus to exploit. Look for Kevin Williams to suffer some payback, btw.

BUF is cautioned against man coverage on CIN's receiver mix - Dalton sees when db backs are turned and he will juke for yardage.

Look for CIN (version 2015) to keep running Hill between the tackles as well as Bernard. The CIN tackles Whitworth and Smith have been angling in on runs I don't know what the numbers are, but my impression is CIN is using their run game to try to insure that 3rd down is a yardage that allows for a short pick-up or a pass bomb.

BUF really needs to keep a sharp eye on Marvin Jones - speed enough, hands, moves. He's the perfect compliment to AJ Green.

Dalton tosses the ball high, usually. His picks are generally of the "off-the-fingertips-of-the-reciever" type. It can pay off with an int if you have a db follow behind a CIN pass pattern. The risk in moving personnel for that possibility is that their plod run games works. 3rd year Bernard and 2nd year Hill move the sticks.

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

just thoroughly shocking how a career college 55% guy can suddenly become a 70% guy in his first season starting. when tf does that happen?

and for his size its amazing how he can fling the ball forty yards down field right on target with a flip of his arm. he was even flat footed when he tossed that perfect sideline strike to the white flash on sunday. i think he replaced his arm with a borg implant or something

way way waaaaay exceeding expectations. bout fkn time that happened to us at that position
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,873 Times in 2,066 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

let me redirect you guys for a second. it's almost three f***ing weeks until Cincinnati.
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,468 Times in 9,174 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
    I'd even argue against Kemp. He was a leader, for sure, but he was not a very good passer. The Bills won those championships on the backs of the defense and a ball-control ground game. When Kemp dropped back to pass, it was nearly as likely to land in an opponent's arms as it was a Bills receiver's. In an 8-team league, the best QBR he had was 5th. In 1964, a championship year, his rating was 9th. Oakland had two QBs with better QBRs.

As for QB's, the franchise has Kelly and everyone else is a distant second, barely worth mentioning.
    Yeah. I wanted to make an argument for Kemp and for Ferguson (who occasionally had his moments), but I can't really. There was Kelly, guys who had their occasional moments, and varying degrees of failure.

Oh, how I still remember how the year of aged Ferguson/Joe Dufek led into the year of Vince Ferragamo & Bruce Mathison. When Kelly stepped off that plane the next year and fired a perfect pass into Ed Kilgore's midsection, I think I swooned with a gasp and had to fan myself like a southern belle, my eyelids fluttering, hand to my chest.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,632 Times in 7,703 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    Until Rodgers played last night.
    Actually....no. Tyron is still #1 for week three....and beat out Rodgers by quite a bit...95.3 to 78. Rodgers is #9 for the week.

This is very impressive. The Total QBR takes into consideration.....

The Total Quarterback Rating is a statistical measure that incorporates the contexts and details of those throws and what they mean for wins. It's built from the team level down to the quarterback, where we understand first what each play means to the team, then give credit to the quarterback for what happened on that play based on what he contributed.
    Tyron is playing lights out. There is no denying that. Whether he keeps it up, game in and game out...season after season, is what a franchise QB is all about.

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,873 Times in 2,066 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

who's Tyron? His name is Tyrod.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    just thoroughly shocking how a career college 55% guy can suddenly become a 70% guy in his first season starting. when tf does that happen?

and for his size its amazing how he can fling the ball forty yards down field right on target with a flip of his arm. he was even flat footed when he tossed that perfect sideline strike to the white flash on sunday. i think he replaced his arm with a borg implant or something

way way waaaaay exceeding expectations. bout fkn time that happened to us at that position
    That's one of the reasons it's so difficult to project college players to the pros. Most college players are surrounded by teammates who will never even get into an NFL camp. If the talent around you is bad, then you'll look bad no matter how good you are-or at least your stat page will.

Also, Taylor was drafted by one of the best organizations in the NFL. While I will always maintain that a team cannot ruin a good player, like many around here believe we did to some of our former busts like JP, a team can certainly take a raw talent and through good coaching help him to improve and reach his potential. We're reaping the benefits of Baltimore's work.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Here's another thing that occurred to me. So far, Tyrod has shown insane accuracy throwing the deep ball on a go route...right in the bread basket 50-yards in the air. When Goodwin comes back, it looks like we finally have a QB that can utilize his world-class speed. That guy can get behind anyone, or help stretch the field.

Taylor has a 135.4 passer rating for balls thrown over 31-yards in the air right now.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I like the fact he doesn't remind me of all our past failures since Kelly.

He actually looks good.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Offense obviously flowed better with Tyrod over EJ. But every time he runs I want to reach through the screen and choke him.

If he can manage to stay healthy, I think we have something.
    "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Thanks
    Thanked 11,438 Times in 7,062 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm glad he looked of Watkins and pulled the trigger.