Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The thing about Tyrod.....

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The thing about Tyrod.....

Quote Originally Posted by BidsJr View Post
    Offense obviously flowed better with Tyrod over EJ. But every time he runs I want to reach through the screen and choke him.

If he can manage to stay healthy, I think we have something.
    He has three major flaws that still need correcting IMO

1) He doesn't make enough successful throws to the intermediate parts of the field. That's the sweet spot that keeps the offenses moving. If he can learn to do this, then we might have found our guy.

2) He doesn't know when to throw the ball away. There are a few times every game where he's sitting there at least two beats too long and I'm yelling at the TV to throw the football away. Some of that are the deep routes that he loves to throw, but you can tell sometimes that he doesn't really know what he's seeing and not sure where to go next. Roll out, sail the ball OOB and try again. And on the other side, know when to tuck the ball and give up. That underhanded desperation heave while Suh was swinging him around was an absolute disaster waiting to happen. It was like as soon as Suh grabbed him, you could see Tyrod thinking "Oh crap, I'm gonna get sacked out of FG range" but that was not the solution.

3) He needs to learn how to slide. When he dove headfirst on a play where we were nurturing a 16 point lead with 3 minutes left I nearly had a panic attack.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

2. Post thanked by:

BidsJr (11-09-2015),YardRat (11-09-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    3) He needs to learn how to slide. When he dove headfirst on a play where we were nurturing a 16 point lead with 3 minutes left I nearly had a panic attack.
    Well, that is good news. In the past our QBs were not good enough that it really made a difference if the starter or the backup played. At least, now we have a QB that is worth keeping healthy ...
    And yes, I definitely agree about the sliding part. I cant understand how the Bills always seem to not even coach the most basic things. Do you think a Bellicheck QB would do this more than once?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    He has three major flaws that still need correcting IMO

1) He doesn't make enough successful throws to the intermediate parts of the field. That's the sweet spot that keeps the offenses moving. If he can learn to do this, then we might have found our guy.

2) He doesn't know when to throw the ball away. There are a few times every game where he's sitting there at least two beats too long and I'm yelling at the TV to throw the football away. Some of that are the deep routes that he loves to throw, but you can tell sometimes that he doesn't really know what he's seeing and not sure where to go next. Roll out, sail the ball OOB and try again. And on the other side, know when to tuck the ball and give up. That underhanded desperation heave while Suh was swinging him around was an absolute disaster waiting to happen. It was like as soon as Suh grabbed him, you could see Tyrod thinking "Oh crap, I'm gonna get sacked out of FG range" but that was not the solution.

Definately agree with 2 and 3. Not sure about #1. Might just be a matter of gameplan/injuries/haven't seen enough of Tyrod yet. What I will say is I haven't seen anything that tells me he can't make an accurate intermediate throw.
    "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I like Tyrod a lot but until he learns to better work the pocket to buy time and go through his progressions, make pre and post snap reads, he will be limited and only take the Bills so far. Right now he doesn't work the pocket well and some of that is on him, not the O-line. He can make some great throws from the pocket when he has a lot of time (sort of like EJ actually) but he is still way too unstable there when under pressure. He can obviously run, and he can both escape a collapsing pocket (he is elusive) and he can throw with decent accuracy and zip on the move. That's good enuf to beat a lot of teams but when things get serious late in the year the good, well coached defences (you know like the Pats for example) will seal off the edges and force Tyrod to beat them from the pocket. If he can't execute from the pocket the Bills will likely not win.
    If Tyrod can develop this ability (Drew Brees is a master of the art and is 2 inches shorter than Tyrod) there will not be much if anything in the way of holes in his game. Could be awhile before we see it though, assuming we ever do.

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

the one thing hes bad at? sliding

slide like the white guys ty
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community