Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The thing about Tyrod.....

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The thing about Tyrod.....

First off, I am reluctant to get overly excited with any Buffalo Bills player with a QB next to his name. A decade and a half of perpetual failure at the position will do that to a person I guess. Anyhow early on in the preseason I noticed something that was pretty consistant with Tyrod. It just seemed that the offense flowed better than I had seen in a very long time. Just a few thoughts...

1. His short throw accuracy is pretty outstanding. Not only completing the passes and keeping us ahead in the down and distance dept, but hitting guys in stride with a chance for extra YAC.
    2. Scrambling to throw rather than to run. He seems to always be looking down field anticipating someone to break open for chunk yardage.
    3. When all else fails tuck and run for the 3-7 yds he can seemingly pick up at will.

All of these things add up to an O that just has a flow to it that I haven't seen in who knows how long. But the bigger thing is that these traits should help make him pretty slump proof. Excited to see him develop.

With regard to the New England performance... IMO he lost a Super Bowl caliber game with a chance to tie it on his last posession.
    "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

2. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (09-28-2015),DynaPaul (09-28-2015),Generalissimus Gibby (09-28-2015),Meathead (09-30-2015),Topas (09-29-2015),ublinkwescore (09-29-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The thing about Tyrod.....

I like how I see him going over plays and talking to the offense on the sidelines.

4. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (09-28-2015),Topas (09-29-2015)

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 4,183 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I like how he can make throws fairly accurately around the field. I like his decision making, and I like how he moves to make plays not just to run. Its early yet and the litmus test is how he does in November or December after there is film galore of him. I think if he does okay at Arrowhead against that Chiefs defense we may just have something special for the first time in years.

6. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (09-28-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

TT didn't lose that game, regardless of those 3 INT's. Our secondary, for reasons unknown, decided to throw tantrums and reward the other team with exquisite field position 3 times!!! They also blew their assignments on simple coverages.

8. Post thanked by:

Generalissimus Gibby (09-28-2015),Jimkelly12203 (09-29-2015)

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 4,183 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by thenry20 View Post
    TT didn't lose that game, regardless of those 3 INT's. Our secondary, for reasons unknown, decided to throw tantrums and reward the other team with exquisite field position 3 times!!! They also blew their assignments on simple coverages.
    And lets not forget the OL. Every ****ing time we needed to answer the Pats it was a damn holding penalty or false start on first down against the OL. Now some of that was the fault of the refs rigging another win for tommy boy, but a lot of those calls were correct.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,697 Times in 7,757 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BidsJr View Post
    First off, I am reluctant to get overly excited with any Buffalo Bills player with a QB next to his name. A decade and a half of perpetual failure at the position will do that to a person I guess. Anyhow early on in the preseason I noticed something that was pretty consistant with Tyrod. It just seemed that the offense flowed better than I had seen in a very long time. Just a few thoughts...

1. His short throw accuracy is pretty outstanding. Not only completing the passes and keeping us ahead in the down and distance dept, but hitting guys in stride with a chance for extra YAC.
    2. Scrambling to throw rather than to run. He seems to always be looking down field anticipating someone to break open for chunk yardage.
    3. When all else fails tuck and run for the 3-7 yds he can seemingly pick up at will.

All of these things add up to an O that just has a flow to it that I haven't seen in who knows how long. But the bigger thing is that these traits should help make him pretty slump proof. Excited to see him develop.

With regard to the New England performance... IMO he lost a Super Bowl caliber game with a chance to tie it on his last posession.
    Well....I think you are underestimating the amount of time the Bills have had "perpetual failure" at the QB position. Except for Jim Kelly and Jack Kemp (Daryl Lamonica gets a honorable mention but his best days were not spent on the Bills) there have been varying degrees of "failure" for over a HALF A CENTURY!

With that being said, we're all a little wary of embracing the idea that we may finally have a QB that can compete. Especially on bulletin boards like these where the 'I told you so' and the 'you embraced that guy 10 years ago so your opinion is suspect forever' childishness that goes on for decades.

Tyrod Taylor may just be the "real thing". Which is particularly amazing since he was drafted in the sixth round. You can count on one hand how many QB's picked in the later rounds that have made even a regular quality starter much less a franchise QB...and have some fingers left....in the last couple of decades.

Tryod is ranked #8 in the Total QBR ranking that is easily the most accurate rating for actual quality of performance from QB's.

That is pretty impressive.

11. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (09-28-2015),BrianCarr (09-28-2015),sahlensguy (11-09-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Oh...Tyrod was rated #1 in Total QBR for week 3.

That is really impressive!!!

13. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (09-28-2015),Skooby (09-28-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Oh...Tyrod was rated #1 in Total QBR for week 3.

That is really impressive!!!
    Last time that happened for the Bills ?? Never ? 1991 ?

Senior Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    Last time that happened for the Bills ?? Never ? 1991 ?
    They didn't have that rating system in '91.

16. Post thanked by:

Senior Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Well....I think you are underestimating the amount of time the Bills have had "perpetual failure" at the QB position. Except for Jim Kelly and Jack Kemp (Daryl Lamonica gets a honorable mention but his best days were not spent on the Bills) there have been varying degrees of "failure" for over a HALF A CENTURY!

With that being said, we're all a little wary of embracing the idea that we may finally have a QB that can compete. Especially on bulletin boards like these where the 'I told you so' and the 'you embraced that guy 10 years ago so your opinion is suspect forever' childishness that goes on for decades.

Tyrod Taylor may just be the "real thing". Which is particularly amazing since he was drafted in the sixth round. You can count on one hand how many QB's picked in the later rounds that have made even a regular quality starter much less a franchise QB...and have some fingers left....in the last couple of decades.

Tryod is ranked #8 in the Total QBR ranking that is easily the most accurate rating for actual quality of performance from QB's.

That is pretty impressive.
    Pretty accurate but I will say that Joe Ferguson wasn't a bad QB, not great, but he wasn't a "failure".

18. Post thanked by:

YardRat (09-28-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,298 Times in 13,728 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well no QB is slump proof and I disagree that the game was SB caliber and it's too early to pass judgment but I agree with your 3 main points. I love the way he keeps his eyes downfield when he runs and always thinks pass first.

The only thing I don't like is sometimes he throws late down the middle or back across the field but those are easy mistakes to correct. So far, so good.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I like how Greg Roman is teaching Tyrod Taylor how to be a pocket passing quarterback.

He had 9 runs against the Colts, 5 runs against the Pats, and only 3 against the Fish.

On his 3rd run against Miami, Tyrod got hit hard after attempting to slide and went down awkwardly on his leg.

Running quarterbacks get hurt. The Bills got lucky there. RGIII's career would be different today if he was coached to stay in the pocket and throw. He was a great passer, but his career is now pretty much over because Mike Shanahan (of all coaches) chose to have him run instead of pass.

Why have Tryod run the ball when he can pass it with a 74% completion rating?

The offensive line did an excellent job of protecting Taylor. Zero sacks.

The great protection gave Taylor time to sit back in the pocket and make great throws.

He had to improvise a few times with his feet, avoiding would be sacks and making plays.

Greg Roman has the smartest, most gifted quarterback he's ever coached in Tyrod Taylor.

Would you let Tom Brady run the ball 3 times a game?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Pp
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    I like how Greg Roman is teaching Tyrod Taylor how to be a pocket passing quarterback.

He had 9 runs against the Colts, 5 runs against the Pats, and only 3 against the Fish.

On his 3rd run against Miami, Tyrod got hit hard after attempting to slide and went down awkwardly on his leg.

Running quarterbacks get hurt. The Bills got lucky there. RGIII's career would be different today if he was coached to stay in the pocket and throw. He was a great passer, but his career is now pretty much over because Mike Shanahan (of all coaches) chose to have him run instead of pass.

Why have Tryod run the ball when he can pass it with a 74% completion rating?
    You know, I can see why people might think this kind of thing. But It has been proven time and time again with QB's over the years that "they are pretty much who they are." I think what we have seen in preseason and so far is who this guy is. Not sure how much if any influence the coordinators have had on how much he runs, or on any of the 3 points that I was making. I just really think that those 3 things are all Tyrod Taylor. Unteachable excellent traits. He just seems to get it.

Maybe in 3 more games he turns into Mike Vick lite and implodes forever. But the game has to be moving too fast for a guy 3 games in for him to be thinking about coaching.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Well no QB is slump proof and I disagree that the game was SB caliber and it's too early to pass judgment but I agree with your 3 main points. I love the way he keeps his eyes downfield when he runs and always thinks pass first.

The only thing I don't like is sometimes he throws late down the middle or back across the field but those are easy mistakes to correct. So far, so good.

He smoked the team that had to be beaten to go to the super bowl last year. He took the champs to the final drive with a chance to tie. I don't care how smart you think you are, but you would have signed up for that scenario 100/100 before the season started and you had the benefit of hindsight.

23. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 26,298 Times in 13,728 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He smoked the team that had to be beaten to go to the super bowl last year. He took the champs to the final drive with a chance to tie. I don't care how smart you think you are, but you would have signed up for that scenario 100/100 before the season started and you had the benefit of hindsight.
    First, Indy is not the same team they were last year.

Second, I said something positive and mostly agreed with you and you still took a shot at me? Come on.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Second, I said something positive and mostly agreed with you and you still took a shot at me? Come on.
    Don't take it personal, OpIv37.

We can bust each others chops, but never take it personal.

When talking about football gets personal, that's when the party usually ends.

Talk about the game, not each other.

This IPA has me going Gandhi.

26. Post thanked by:

Albany,n.y. (09-30-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

74.4% completion percentage for Tyrod Taylor after 3 games.

That's including the game against the Dark Empire.

It's getting better all the time, better, better, better.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sorry I must have been subconsciously responding to something else you posted.

29. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (09-30-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BrianCarr View Post
    Pretty accurate but I will say that Joe Ferguson wasn't a bad QB, not great, but he wasn't a "failure".
    I remember Joe fondly. No, he wasn't "bad", but not "good" either. You may notice that I did say "...varying degrees of "failure" for over a HALF A CENTURY!"

When Joe was QB, we had the best running game and offensive line in football....maybe in history at that point. The game was different, and did not need a stellar passing QB to win. We still did not "win" with Joe.

Those were the years of Terry Bradshaw and Fran Tarkenton and Roger Starbach and Jim Plunkett. Joe could not hold a candle to those guys.

31. Post thanked by:

gebobs (09-29-2015),Mace (09-30-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 1,507 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It also helps that we finally have a real coaching staff. It's been a while for the Bills since the team has gone out with a great game plan on both sides of the ball. People know what their jobs are and they seem to have a real purpose. In the past we've always had one unit or the other that is flat out embarrassing. And I think a lot of it is beyond Xs and Os. Some people are just good teachers and leaders. You can be the smartest football mind in the world and if you can't communicate with people and motivate them you're going to suck. These coaches do not suck.
    All Hail Josh Allen! Savior of the Buffalo Bills!

Freedom for the Ukraine. Down with Putin and every traitor in this country that supports him.

33. Post thanked by:

gebobs (09-29-2015),Victor7 (11-09-2015)