Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whaley is an excellent GM!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Whaley is an excellent GM!

Since the Whaley bashers have gone into hiding I decided to throw my praise on Whaley. He has had to make some tough decisions as well as building a rosetr that is young, talented, and dynamic.

Some highlights:

1) Don't care what you say but trading McCoy for Kiko was an excellent decision.

2) Signing Clay. Finally the real tight end we've been looking for. Watching Chandler in that New England game was the highlight of a tough game.

3) Sending Jackson packing. Tough decision but at the end of the day it was the right one. Karlos has looked crazy good.

4) Resigning Dareus and Hughes. Good contracts and excellent value for both parties.

5) Harvin. He has looked terrific.

6) Incognito. Another terrific signing.

7) Tyrod Taylor. Yes Rex will get credit but you need a GM to sign off on these decisions.

The only decision I have to give hime crap on is Bryce Brown. I admit I am a Bryce Brown homer and wish we could have kept him over Boobie Dixon. BTW, rumor is that he might be a Jet.

Hate away!!

2. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (09-30-2015),djjimkelly (09-30-2015),FlyingDutchman (09-30-2015),GvilleBills (10-01-2015),Mr. Miyagi (09-30-2015),PromoTheRobot (10-01-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Whaley is an excellent GM!

I've been saying for the last couple years that he's done a good job filling this roster with talent. Do we remember the days of Chris Kelsay and Ryan Denney, where we couldn't find anyone year after year to replace them? We're now talking about not being able to keep all of our talent.

He's not perfect and "excellent" may be going too far, but I've seen nothing to dissuade me from believing that he's a good GM to have for the long term.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

4. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (09-30-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Was that Whaley that did the Hughes trade or Nix?

It's great to see us actually building through the draft which is crucial to any type of long term success. We got 3 studs this year alone without a #1 pick.
    Last edited by FlyingDutchman; 09-30-2015 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The other thing that people seem to forget is drafting.

We got Sammy, Cyrus, Preston, Randell Johnson, and Seantrell. Cyril and Ross are not that great but to get 3 starters out of any draft and potentially two more next year is huge. I have a feeling Manny and Cordy will not be on the team next year and I think Seantrell will move to Left and Cryus will battle early pick for RT, Randell will be Manny's replacement.

Additionally Darby, Miller, and Williams are good picks so far. I am also not ready to say bust to Nick O'leary I still think he can be a 10 year player and a solid number 2 TE in this league. Time will tell but I think if he can get stronger and get his blocking up to par he will beat out Mulligan for that role next year.

Additionally the other thing we need to look at with Whaley is waiver pick ups. Gray looks like he will be a decent player and decent special teams guy and that is not a bad thing. Stephan Charles, Corbin Bryant, and the MIKE LB that tore his ACL this training camp look like nice depth players and you need those guys to have a solid roster.

Bills fans know better than anyone we will have injuries and in order to stay competitive you need a good 53 not just a good 22.

All in all Bills fans should be pleased with Whaley and the front office, especially compared to the debacles of Tom Donahue, Marv Levy, the trio of levy Brandon Jauron, and even to some degree Nix. Nix was the start of the good scouting department overhaul as he fired and hired a bunch of new people, but he gets a minus from me for failing to draft any QBs that or developing them.

Whaley needs to show he and his staff can evaluate the QB position and draft a guy every year or two and develop one into a legitimate player. One just in case Tyrod shows he is not the guy this year, next year or 2017, but also if you can develop a good qb that you draft in rounds 2-5 you can usually trade them for high picks in 3 years if they develop (that is if Tyrod is a franchise guy and legit).

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
    Was that Whaley that did the Hughes trade or Nix?

It's great to see us actually building through the draft which is crucial to any type of long term success. We got 3 studs this year alone without a #1 pick.
    Technically Nix.

Nix retired a few weeks after the draft in May and I believe the Hughes trade happened after the draft in April.

that said if you want to put EJ on Whaley then Hughes goes to Whaley as well, but I do not put EJ on Whaley so not Hughes. He gets credit for resigning him though.

8. Post thanked by:

FlyingDutchman (09-30-2015)

My IQ Test results came back negative BillsOwnAll's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I always was confused why such hate for Whaley. If you look at the drafts the last 4-5 years compared to other teams drafts I bet were a top 5 team.

People here put such high standards like he needs to draft 7 starters every year. REALISTAICLY that's not possible. He's also done great at keeping players. We'll see if he can restructure a few contracts next year.

The fact is people here forgot what happens when you're a "good" team. You have many good players you need to resign not just 2-3 like we've grown accustomed to. Look at the pats. They don't resign everyone at all and seem to keep doing it. Because they draft well.

In a Whaley supporter he's made the bills not laughable. Teams see us on their schedule now and probally circle it as a harder game.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    The other thing that people seem to forget is drafting.

We got Sammy, Cyrus, Preston, Randell Johnson, and Seantrell. Cyril and Ross are not that great but to get 3 starters out of any draft and potentially two more next year is huge. I have a feeling Manny and Cordy will not be on the team next year and I think Seantrell will move to Left and Cryus will battle early pick for RT, Randell will be Manny's replacement.

Additionally Darby, Miller, and Williams are good picks so far. I am also not ready to say bust to Nick O'leary I still think he can be a 10 year player and a solid number 2 TE in this league. Time will tell but I think if he can get stronger and get his blocking up to par he will beat out Mulligan for that role next year.

Additionally the other thing we need to look at with Whaley is waiver pick ups. Gray looks like he will be a decent player and decent special teams guy and that is not a bad thing. Stephan Charles, Corbin Bryant, and the MIKE LB that tore his ACL this training camp look like nice depth players and you need those guys to have a solid roster.

Bills fans know better than anyone we will have injuries and in order to stay competitive you need a good 53 not just a good 22.

All in all Bills fans should be pleased with Whaley and the front office, especially compared to the debacles of Tom Donahue, Marv Levy, the trio of levy Brandon Jauron, and even to some degree Nix. Nix was the start of the good scouting department overhaul as he fired and hired a bunch of new people, but he gets a minus from me for failing to draft any QBs that or developing them.

Whaley needs to show he and his staff can evaluate the QB position and draft a guy every year or two and develop one into a legitimate player. One just in case Tyrod shows he is not the guy this year, next year or 2017, but also if you can develop a good qb that you draft in rounds 2-5 you can usually trade them for high picks in 3 years if they develop (that is if Tyrod is a franchise guy and legit).
    Agree 100%. During the Packers game, they were showing how all but 3 players on the current roster were drafted by the pack. We're starting to get to the point where the majority of our starters were drafted by the Bills.

I can't really fault Whaley for the EJ draft. It was just bad timing. We were finally going for a QB in a year that turned out to be TERRIBLE for QB's. Even with the miss on EJ, we still managed to turn that draft into getting big time contributors in Robert Woods and Lesean Mccoy. Also Goodwin, but who knows what to feel on him

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I also think Whaley's aggressiveness and Pegulas willingness to spend (that we've seen so far) is going to pay out very well in the long term

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    Technically Nix.

Nix retired a few weeks after the draft in May and I believe the Hughes trade happened after the draft in April.

that said if you want to put EJ on Whaley then Hughes goes to Whaley as well, but I do not put EJ on Whaley so not Hughes. He gets credit for resigning him though.
    The man who doesn't get enough blame for EJ is the guy who quit on us after giving up on his QB. Marrone is the one who wanted the guy who had all the prototypical physical features. He specifically mentioned hand size when EJ was drafted. He had to have huge input into not drafting Nassib.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

ive liked whaley the whole time

preston brown cordy glenn the list he has picked is very solid

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by djjimkelly View Post
    ive liked whaley the whole time

preston brown cordy glenn the list he has picked is very solid
    He didn't draft Glenn.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 1,507 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I haven't gone into hiding... Whaley has had many successes. Just look at the roster. But the two stupidest decisions he has made were also the two most critical. #1, of all the years to blow a first round pick on the QB, they had to set their sights on the EJ Manuel / Geno Smith year. That's something dumb teams do. #2, you then double down in one of the deepest WR drafts of the last 10 years and use two first round picks on Watkins and that's AFTER you've seen that EJ is not accurate enough to be a worthy franchise QB. These are decisions that dumb GMs make. It's arguable that you don't spend 200 million dollars on two DLmen and 50 million on another (I don't know what Kyle makes but I think it's around 6 - 7 M/year. I don't begrudge him that last piece because I love our DL. But it is a rather "unusual" arrangement as Belicheck the scum pointed out.
    All Hail Josh Allen! Savior of the Buffalo Bills!

Freedom for the Ukraine. Down with Putin and every traitor in this country that supports him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by HHURRICANE View Post
    Since the Whaley bashers have gone into hiding I decided to throw my praise on Whaley. He has had to make some tough decisions as well as building a rosetr that is young, talented, and dynamic.

Some highlights:

1) Don't care what you say but trading McCoy for Kiko was an excellent decision.

2) Signing Clay. Finally the real tight end we've been looking for. Watching Chandler in that New England game was the highlight of a tough game.

3) Sending Jackson packing. Tough decision but at the end of the day it was the right one. Karlos has looked crazy good.

4) Resigning Dareus and Hughes. Good contracts and excellent value for both parties.

5) Harvin. He has looked terrific.

6) Incognito. Another terrific signing.

7) Tyrod Taylor. Yes Rex will get credit but you need a GM to sign off on these decisions.

The only decision I have to give hime crap on is Bryce Brown. I admit I am a Bryce Brown homer and wish we could have kept him over Boobie Dixon. BTW, rumor is that he might be a Jet.

Hate away!!

Don;t mind McCoy but don't like the fact they threw 40 mil at him. I would have waited to do that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 606 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If he gets us to the playoffs and to being a regularly competitive football club then yeah absolutely.

That has yet to be seen yet, however.

18. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (09-30-2015)

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jimkelly12203 View Post
    I haven't gone into hiding... Whaley has had many successes. Just look at the roster. But the two stupidest decisions he has made were also the two most critical. #1, of all the years to blow a first round pick on the QB, they had to set their sights on the EJ Manuel / Geno Smith year. That's something dumb teams do. #2, you then double down in one of the deepest WR drafts of the last 10 years and use two first round picks on Watkins and that's AFTER you've seen that EJ is not accurate enough to be a worthy franchise QB. These are decisions that dumb GMs make. It's arguable that you don't spend 200 million dollars on two DLmen and 50 million on another (I don't know what Kyle makes but I think it's around 6 - 7 M/year. I don't begrudge him that last piece because I love our DL. But it is a rather "unusual" arrangement as Belicheck the scum pointed out.
    I disliked the Sammy trade probably as much as anyone and I still don't want Whaley fired. I'm glad we have Sammy and I like him, I just don't like how we got him. It's also clear that he missed on a QB prospect in the 1st round. Those two draft picks combine for a questionable use of 3 1st round picks. That would absolutely be grounds for firing...if he had built a team around those 2 players. This is a solid team that can win despite those moves. If this team makes the playoffs, there's no way Whaley deserves to be fired. I doubt he would get canned even if we didn't make the playoffs, and I'd be OK with that. If every GM got released for missing on a QB high in the draft, there would be very few GMs left in this league.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 606 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jimkelly12203 View Post
    I don't think it is right to evaluate a GM based on individual moves and failures. His job is not to "win" moves, it's to create a formidable team. It looks like he he may have done this. However he gets there doesn't really matter to me at all.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's his 5th year with the club and the 3rd as GM. If the standard of excellence is getting into the playoffs, we will have to wait...
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

we haven't made playoffs yet under Whaley , people.

I don't care if he put together an all pro team ala Redskins if we don't win. Even if we do, until we are at par with the Cheatriots in terms of competing with them, this line-up means nothing. We just got majorly owned by them where they could not video tape us or deflate the ball.

You are judged on wins and losses. Not line-up.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    we haven't made playoffs yet under Whaley , people.

I don't care if he put together an all pro team ala Redskins if we don't win. Even if we do, until we are at par with the Cheatriots in terms of competing with them, this line-up means nothing. We just got majorly owned by them where they could not video tape us or deflate the ball.

You are judged on wins and losses. Not line-up.
    I think the fact that we are upset that we didn't beat the super bowl champions should say something. In years past we were happy to compete. The mindset has changed and so has the teams swagger. So yeah I agree we still have a ways to go, but there is a new bar that has been set.

We have the 3rd most points so far this season. That has to be attributed to the moves made in the offseason. Hacket jumping ship also certainly helped, but I don't think this staff could have done much with the group we had on offense last year.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

he's done a lot of good, he's made some boner decisions. however, it seems like he has a coach that he can work with. he seems to take their input into account.

i hate that we didn't get a stud QB, but i also don't seem him missing in his attempt. Sure EJ isn't great, but no one from that class was. no one in later drafts where we had a chance to pick them has turned into a stud. Getting TT two years after you draft a qb in round 1 is a level of flexibility we haven't seen other GM's make for the bills. we passed on better picks when we had JP....same thing with Trent. We elected to keep rolling with those guys than take QB's who went on to have more successful careers. Whaley hasn't had that haunt him.

and before these three years, we were always wondering who would want to come to buffalo. that pretty much is gone. people are fine with coming because they see the team wants to compete.

I also agree that it doesn't mean a whole lot until we actually get wins. we have to get past 9 wins.