Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mario's contract needs to be restructured with a huge cut in pay

Thanks
    Thanked 5,220 Times in 3,689 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Mario's contract needs to be restructured with a huge cut in pay

Quote Originally Posted by delectrolux View Post
    Isn't there a 50 some odd page thread about this already?
    To be clear, that was written when Mario was one of if not the most talented player we had, that's not the case anymore.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    To be clear, that was written when Mario was one of if not the most talented player we had, that's not the case anymore.
    Who else on the team became a First-team All-pro over these last three games?

Don't be a ******.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

As I understood it, 2016 was a year we could fix Mario's contract & it needs to happen. The guy is eating a huge amount of cap and doing nothing to earn it, if anything we might be able to fill his space with a more talented player for 1/4 the cost. There was a time were I'd consider this heresy but he looks underwhelming, barely trying & coasting. It just has to end and we will be better for it.

He's being paid near #1 money for talent, I'd say he's not even in the top 7 on our team.
    Do you remember Chris Kelsey, Denney, Aaron Schobel(to a lesser extent), Chidi Ahonatu, Spencer Johnson, Keith Ellison? We had some awful pass tubers in the last 15 years. We were rolling with Kelsay and Schobel for 6 long years.

I hated those guys. I hated the milque toast pass rush, the high motor guys, guys that had a singular move. My god, we have a world class pass rusher. Lets wait till his play declines before we think about getting rid of him.
    "Hate is a lack of imagination."
    -Graham Greene

4. Post thanked by:

GvilleBills (10-01-2015),The last buffalo fan (10-02-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Amos View Post
    Do you remember Chris Kelsey, Denney, Aaron Schobel(to a lesser extent), Chidi Ahonatu, Spencer Johnson, Keith Ellison? We had some awful pass tubers in the last 15 years. We were rolling with Kelsay and Schobel for 6 long years.

I hated those guys. I hated the milque toast pass rush, the high motor guys, guys that had a singular move. My god, we have a world class pass rusher. Lets wait till his play declines before we think about getting rid of him.
    Who said to get rid of him ?? Asking him to be reasonable is what's relevant.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Amos View Post

And that is why you're famous, Amos.
    Diehard BillGator... best of both worlds

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Because asking him to take a pay cut will make him want a trade or a release.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,559 Times in 17,443 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What the hell is a 'pass tuber'?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Being reasonable is not asking a Pro Bowl, All-Pro player to take a pay cut. Im all for restructuring, but there is no way he takes a pay cut and he shouldnt have to.

I hate that people say we spend too much money on the D-Line, its the strength of our team so what the hell else would we spend it on. When we get a franchise QB and are paying 200 million to the D-Line then ill worry. Until then its not unreasonable to pay the best position group on our team the most money

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    What the hell is a 'pass tuber'?
    Going to go out on a limb here and assume that it was an autocorrect from rusher

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Omg! So glad your not the GM! Hell, you probably clammored to lock up fitz at 5-1. You have ZERO knowledge of his responsibility in this defense! ZERO!!! So please go back to madden and do what you do! PS, you don't write his check, so stop saying WE are paying him to much!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Remember Schobel and Denney?

Those are two contracts that people should have really complained about.

12. Post thanked by:

Famous Amos (10-02-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Have you been actually watching him? Focusing on him on certain plays? You CAN do that, you know. Seemed like every time I focused on him in the Miami game, he was being double-teamed, which freed up other guys to create pressure. I don't think opposing teams would choose to double-team just about any other player we can replace Mario with. Do you?

Stand-alone stats are for people that don't understand the game, quite often. They can stick those stats somewhere in their fantasy league hats.

There are still 13 games to go, and I'm damn glad Mario is on my team.

But restructure? He'll, yes. I've been saying that for a very long time. That's reasonable...saying that he's easily replaceable isn't. I think they will do everything they can to restructure his deal, but I'm too involved with THIS season to care very much about it, as if I have any control over that in the first place.
    Exactly. In some of the plays for which I have watched him specifically, he was tasked with an upfield rush to put pressure on while maitaining contain of the QB. It is clear that part of the game plan in the Indy and Miami games involved limiting the options of QBs who can run. This defense often relies on free blitzers to run to the QB while the DL pushes the pocket. The ability to occupy one or more blockers is not while still pushing upfield is hardly an everyday skill. As others have said, not a stats-oriented approach for the DL.

14. Post thanked by:

feldspar (10-02-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

LOL. Chris Kelsay. The DE that wouldn't go away.

16. Post thanked by:

coastal (10-07-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 24,457 Times in 14,168 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Here's the thing people still don't understand...you can't just restructure a deal because the team wants to. The player has to be willing to do it and what is our alternative? What happens if we go to Mario and say we would like to rework the deal and he says no? What are you going to do cut him?

If the deal gets reworked then that's fine but its not going to include a huge cut in pay. It's going to shift money into a guarantee through a bonus of some sort v. annual salary.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,899 Times in 2,082 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by HHURRICANE View Post
    Remember Schobel and Denney?

Those are two contracts that people should have really complained about.
    exactly! and here we are *****ing about an all pro lineman. If I ever get mad at this line, I just remember Schobel/Kelsay/Denney and Kelsays neverending extensions then I feel much better.
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

19. Post thanked by:

Famous Amos (10-03-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

https://streamable.com/89c2

This video is meant to feature Hughes but really you can zero in on any D lineman. Mario's bread and butter is power moves to knock the guy across from him off balance so he can turn on the short area quickness to get by the tackle. In that video Mario seemed just doing power moves and the right tackle did a good job of staying at arms length from Mario so that he had some space to recover. I don't think I see too much quickness from Mario yet. But he's streaky player.

On the other hand, Hughes just offers something none other Bills D players have - quickness, lateral, outside, and inside moves are just unreal. Any team having to pass on us will have their hands full with him. Heck he strip-sacked even the mighty Brady.

The last thing I want to add is I'm glad Rex incorporated some of the wide 9 stands that Schwartz employed last year. It worked last year.

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I watched the Miami game again last night. Mario and the entire defensive line were absolute wrecking balls. They may not have gotten sacks but they get as much credit as any squad for that game. At third and long on the Dolphins' second drive, Williams was about to smother Tannehill when he got off a short pass that was quickly contained. As he released the ball, Mario gave him a nice shove and Tannehill dropped like a rag doll. On a third and short, Williams stopped a receiver on an end around 3 yards behind the line. Someone else might have gotten credit for the play, but he made it happen.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Any credit for Mario this past week ? Maybe we should double his pay now ?? He needs a haircut soon, this is a joke and his lack of effort is right there. He flipped one guy over, wow I'm impressed.

23. Post thanked by:

coastal (10-07-2015),Mr. Cynical (10-06-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah youre right the biggest issue was with Mario last week.

He's the DE whos getting all the penalties right? You want to complain about someone make it Hughes, he got paid too.

Edit: To clarify i'm not complaining about either one of them, but im just making a point. You can complain about all 4 of the D lineman right now, theres no need to single out mario.
    Last edited by MillsapsBillsFan; 10-06-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MillsapsBillsFan View Post
    Yeah youre right the biggest issue was with Mario last week.

He's the DE whos getting all the penalties right? You want to complain about someone make it Hughes, he got paid too.

Edit: To clarify i'm not complaining about either one of them, but im just making a point. You can complain about all 4 of the D lineman right now, theres no need to single out mario.
    Check his production so far this season, it's beyond abysmal. We are going to need his cap to keep TT and other players that actually perform on virtually every play, Mario is taking plays off and it shows.

Extrpoliated out, Mario is a 28 tackle / 4 sack man. Is that worth $16 Million a season ?? He's not going to make it on the team folks, not at his current money.
    Last edited by Skooby; 10-06-2015 at 12:54 PM.

26. Post thanked by:

coastal (10-07-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Check his production so far this season, it's beyond abysmal. We are going to need his cap to keep TT and other players that actually perform on virtually every play, Mario is taking plays off and it shows.

Extrpoliated out, Mario is a 28 tackle / 4 sack man. Is that worth $16 Million a season ?? He's not going to make it on the team folks, not at his current money.
    The D-Line has 3 sacks so far this season, he has 1/3 of the sacks for our D line (Sounds better that way right?). Im not disagreeing that he should be restructured, but theres no way he agrees to a pay cut.

This is a Dline production issue as a whole which has been created by every QB we play getting the ball out as quickly as possible.

This talk that we need cap room now to resign TT is insane, hes played 4 games and he still has time on his contract, so lets pump the brakes there. Other than that who are our big money free agents? Glenn? Hell I can go stand out there and get 2 holding calls a week. Bradham? sure I want to keep him but hes not going to get superstar money.

Ill worry about Mario and our Dline at the bye week if things havent still picked up. The sky isnt falling yet lets calm down a little