Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what's wrong with Bills Defense?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So what's wrong with Bills Defense?

Looks like the Giants D just filled with bigger and more physical players. They don't have elite quick pass rushers (maybe JPP when he comes back), but they certainly out muscle the Bills O-line. I'd not be surprised next year, Rex demands drafting some tough center and guards.

Back to the Bills D. Too many missed assignments, confused themselves rather than the opponent. I'm beginning to think short term, Rex and Thurman may need to swallow their pride and use last year's wide 9 as base and sprinkle in their exotic alignment/packages on obvious 3rd and long situations. Right now, teams with a capable QB running no huddle is doing a number on the Bills. Almost all first half, Manning did not being forced to move much from his drop backs.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,490 Times in 9,187 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: So what's wrong with Bills Defense?

Ryan will go for DB's.

Rex is reinventing the wheel. I'm unhappy with it at the moment, but expect it to balance out over the long run. Expect it to, won't say it will. The Pats and Giants games looked feeble. The packages this game didn't look so much challenging as going through the motions.

I'm wondering if Ryan doesn't have a good defensive game and just figures same will work next, until it doesn't, then comes up with a new one. If that's the case, he's just going through the motions too figuring talent will end up ok.

3. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's missing Schwartz.

5. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (10-04-2015),BillsFanCupp38 (10-04-2015),bleve (10-04-2015),jimmifli (10-04-2015),TacklingDummy (10-04-2015),The last buffalo fan (10-05-2015),YardRat (10-04-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We looked like poop the first couple of weeks under Schwartz as well, team needs time to adjust. Not an excuse, just the truth. Miscommunication happens early in the season, but it needs to end and end soon.

Right now are safeties are dog ****, and I'm not enjoying our LB play. Our LBs in coverage and in space are huge liability, and the Safety play has been trash. Rambo shouldn't be on this roster, he's clueless in coverage and can't really support the run.

7. Post thanked by:

ghz in pittsburgh (10-04-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 24,441 Times in 14,158 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think it's a lot of scheme based issues. This D is based on bringing pressure from multiple places but when you bring pressure you leave gaps. We're getting beat on a lot of quick throws into those vacant spaces. Right now we're being out schemed and our pass rush is becoming neutralized.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Early in year a couple of years ago, under Pettine, we had too many injuries and not enough secondary depth. Pettine switched it up, less man, more zone coverage, and a lot less blitzing. Rex might have to do the same thing here. Under Schwartz we were a zone team, rarely blitzed and when we did it was mostly from a two high shell so we wouldn't get the top blown off.

Rex loves his man coverage, even when we don't blitz, you better be able to play good man D. There's a lot of first in first out etc, banjo techniques, that you have to be familiar with when we run the kind of man coverage Rex wants. Not as simple as just manning up and running with your guy.

Pats and Colts hit us with the same TD play two weeks in a row because we left the backside uncovered on a Playaction fake, guys are missing assignments.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I vented (and felt better now), but deep down I agree with kingJ that Rex needs some time to figure out his players and what works, what does not. Overall, I admit I have more confidence in the D getting improvement than the offense. At this time, I still feel the success of the offense thus far is smoke and mirrors, the newness of Tyrod and Roman's offensive book.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,289 Times in 13,722 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The D missed some tackles today but they played well enough to win with one exception: penalties. Remember, one touchdown came on a short field and the other came on a drive where the D was off the field twice but ****ed it up with penalties. They gifted the Giants that TD.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

We need to get Sammy involved more on O. We fed Clay the ball today because the Giants LBs are suspect in coverage. Kennard made a hell of a play on Clay early in the game, but Clay bounced back. Should have had a TD on that deep cross, looked like he slipped and fell. O starts with your offensive line and QB, and if we're being truthful we have issues to sort out. Tyrod is okay, still too early to make a definitive call. Our OL isn't getting enough push and movement in the run game, we have injuries and poor depth at the position and that doesn't bode well for the future of this offense.

There are a lot of question marks with this team, it's Week 4. I don't know what the D will be, I think we're weak at S/LB, I don't like Bradham that much. He's a flash player, doesn't have it upstairs, makes too many mistakes, not consistent. I like our corners, but I'm not sure what Darby is, can't base it off a 4 game sample, though if this is what we can expect going forward from him sign me up.

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    The D missed some tackles today but they played well enough to win with one exception: penalties. Remember, one touchdown came on a short field and the other came on a drive where the D was off the field twice but ****ed it up with penalties. They gifted the Giants that TD.
    Yeah, lots of dumb mistakes. This isn't just a Rex thing, we're just undisciplined and have been for a good while. When you have young guys with few leaders and a revolving door at HC issues like this persist. Guys like Gilmore/Bradham/Dareus are now playing for their 3rd head coach. Hard to play smart football when the people coaching you are out the door every other year.
    Last edited by kingJofNYC; 10-04-2015 at 07:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,528 Times in 17,421 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Rex Ryan and his clown car of assistants.

Next question?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kingJofNYC View Post
    We need to get Sammy involved more on O.
    I agree but he was hurt.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,844 Times in 3,497 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The league has figured out how to move the ball on the Bills and it starts with the QB throwing the ball in around 2 seconds on timing routes. But for whatever reason, we are not bumping the receivers at the LOS and we're allowing them to dictate the outcome. If we disrupt the timing, the QB holds onto the ball for an additional second which allows our line to destroy theirs.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    24 points allowed is just not going to work with this Bills team. I figure they need to have it down to about 21. 4 games in, they faced 4 top level QBs. Looks like the result is mixed - real proven QBs, Brady and Manning, seems to do well (Eli is not steady, but when he's on, he's about as good as anyone).

On the offense side, 10 points is not going to win (almost) any game in NFL. Penalty is part of the game. I'm little surprised they went for 4th down that many times, judging by the fact they can't run the ball and only had Clay for any consistency in getting open. In my book, the offense they put on the field yesterday was good for 19 points (2 field goals instead going for 4th down + one missed field). Still not good enough.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    Looks like the Giants D just filled with bigger and more physical players. They don't have elite quick pass rushers (maybe JPP when he comes back), but they certainly out muscle the Bills O-line. I'd not be surprised next year, Rex demands drafting some tough center and guards.

Back to the Bills D. Too many missed assignments, confused themselves rather than the opponent. I'm beginning to think short term, Rex and Thurman may need to swallow their pride and use last year's wide 9 as base and sprinkle in their exotic alignment/packages on obvious 3rd and long situations. Right now, teams with a capable QB running no huddle is doing a number on the Bills. Almost all first half, Manning did not being forced to move much from his drop backs.
    Interior pressure seems to be the 1st line of combat against the generous pass rules these days. I feel that BUF hasn't been stocking the larder in recent drafts. You need rotations to keep folks fresh.

BUF carries 7 DLs and 5 LBs. The numbers for the 3 winning clubs the Bills will face to date: NE carries 11/6. CIN carries 11/6. NYJ plays a rather strict 3-4, with 6 DLs and 8 LBs.

BUF chews up a roster spot with an extra kicker, and until recently, a 3rd QB. And they cut a DL this past week to make room for a practice squad rb...
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Interior pressure seems to be the 1st line of combat against the generous pass rules these days. I feel that BUF hasn't been stocking the larder in recent drafts. You need rotations to keep folks fresh.

BUF carries 7 DLs and 5 LBs. The numbers for the 3 winning clubs the Bills will face to date: NE carries 11/6. CIN carries 11/6. NYJ plays a rather strict 3-4, with 6 DLs and 8 LBs.

BUF chews up a roster spot with an extra kicker, and until recently, a 3rd QB. And they cut a DL this past week to make room for a practice squad rb...
    I'm not sure that's the reason. I can say the 3 winiest club you mentioned all have the same coaching staff for awhile so less learning curve for players to coming out of the gate firing. If the Bills had the Jets schedule starting the season, they are likely 3-1 as well.

Over the season, the talent will come out with the right coaching. The Bills, save for Carpenter, didn't appear to have a known player in a serious declining year 1/4 way into the season. It's onto the coaches to put the players into the best position to succeed now.

Even in the 2 winning efforts, Rex said there were stuff they need to fix. That's no coach talk. It's plain to even TV viewers that there are missed assignments, bad match ups all over the place. Part of it is the no huddle that teams seemed to have some success on us. You can see D players often hustled into position while the opposing offensive already lined up.
    Last edited by ghz in pittsburgh; 10-05-2015 at 01:30 PM.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    I'm not sure that's the reason. I can say the 3 winiest club you mentioned all have the same coaching staff for awhile so less learning curve for players to coming out of the gate firing. If the Bills had the Jets schedule starting the season, they are likely 3-1 as well.

Over the season, the talent will come out with the right coaching. The Bills, save for Carpenter, didn't appear to have a known player in a serious declining year 1/4 way into the season. It's onto the coaches to put the players into the best position to succeed now.

Even in the 2 winning efforts, Rex said there were stuff they need to fix. That's no coach talk. It's plain to even TV viewers that there are missed assignments, bad match ups all over the place. Part of it is the no huddle that teams seemed to have some success on us. You can see D players often hustled into position while the opposing offensive already lined up.
    Missed assignments, bad match-ups is Losing Coachspeak 101. They do not have enough fresh horses to plug into the DL and LB spots, and moreover, they spent wads of their defense $ on Williams and Hughes. Both of which are sack-first players for their own pecuniary reasons.

And if they have to hustle up, they need a new defensive captain. That capital "C" on a jersey isn't just an adornment.
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 10-05-2015 at 01:59 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post

A bigger roster chewer is the WR position. Goodwin is wasting a roster spot, one could argue Thigpen is too with his poor return play thus far. That said I don't think the D has played bad this year. When the offense has struggled it's put a big strain on the defense and in most cases it's held up. Yet not entirely. The offense was horrible in the 1st half yesterday. I'm not blaming it all on Tyrod yet he doesn't seem to find secondary guys as Robert Woods was a decent WR with EJ and Orton the last two years, over the first 4 games he's been invisible with Tyrod.
    Last edited by The Jokeman; 10-05-2015 at 02:32 PM.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    A bigger roster chewer is the WR position. Goodwin is wasting a roster spot, one could argue Thigpen is too with his poor return play thus far. That said I don't think the D has played bad this year. When the offense has struggled it's put a big strain on the defense and in most cases it's held up. Yet not entirely. The offense was horrible in the 1st half yesterday. I'm not blaming it all on Tyrod yet he doesn't seem to find secondary guys as Robert Woods was a decent WR with EJ and Orton the last two years, over the first 4 seasons he's been invisible with Tyrod.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    A bigger roster chewer is the WR position. Goodwin is wasting a roster spot, one could argue Thigpen is too with his poor return play thus far. That said I don't think the D has played bad this year. When the offense has struggled it's put a big strain on the defense and in most cases it's held up. Yet not entirely. The offense was horrible in the 1st half yesterday. I'm not blaming it all on Tyrod yet he doesn't seem to find secondary guys as Robert Woods was a decent WR with EJ and Orton the last two years, over the first 4 games he's been invisible with Tyrod.
    Wait until tomorrow when coaches video is out. One obvious miss was Tyrod's threw to Woods late, otherwise it would be an easy TD. He's not the super star Buffalo fans are making him out to be (still better than the EJ of past years). Look, star QBs elevates others around him. Not sure he's in that category in the BEST SCENARIO.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think Woods wants to move on when his contract ends. not saying he fumbled intentionally - he was going for a 1st down and sometimes things happen.