Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else missing Jim Swartz D?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Anyone else missing Jim Swartz D?

This defense is a freaking joke. Basically all the same players from last year except they can't stop anyone. I ain't impressed with a win against a crappy Colts team or a horrendous dolphins organization. What happened to the Defense that completely shut down arguably the best QB in the league in Aaron Rodgers? What happened to our stout run defense? Where are all the sacks from last year? The only thing that has changed is the coaching staff. It's obvious where the blame is for this team. Rex Ryan ain't worth a pile of steaming dog mess. This dude needs to put up or shut up. Btw is Schwartz still available for hire? Unbelievable...
    Jeremy Cupp

2. Post thanked by:

sudzy (10-05-2015),TacklingDummy (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Anyone else missing Jim Swartz D?

Last year under Schwartz we were 9th in the league in Defensive DVOA after week 4. This year, week 3, we were 12th. Lets see where we finish week 4, probably won't be kind since we didn't get enough sacks/turnovers.

Finished 2014 2nd in DVOA on D.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Oh yeah the penalties fall squarely on the coaching staff as well. Even with all this talent the book is still out on this team. We haven't beaten a good team yet this year so we could very well be watching an 7-9 or 8-8 team, if that!

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,873 Times in 2,066 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Who knows. Maybe his wife? Ba dum dum Ching!
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You know who has a great gig? Dennis Thurman. Regardless of what happens with the Bills Defense, everyone talks about Rex. Thurman pretty much flies under the radar.

7. Post thanked by:

BillsFanCupp38 (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 597 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think Rex needs to find a happy medium with personel and scheme much like what Pettine did. At times you can blitz when needed but you need to let the front 4 do what they do best and thats get up field and get to the QB. With our front 4 we can rush four and drop 7 into the secondary. On 3rd and 10+ thats when I'd bring those exotic blitzes. I'm not impressed with our defense thus far.
    You can call me streetkings

9. Post thanked by:

BillsFanCupp38 (10-19-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,438 Times in 7,062 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If Qb's are getting rid of the ball under 2 seconds, I think Rex should give Schwartz a call because blitzing means squat .

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Rex's deal has always been blitzing and confusion along the front 7. However, as I said when we hired him, his defenses have looked pretty average in years where he doesn't have a Hall of Famer playing in the defensive secondary. I think he needs to dial it back and drop more guys to let our front 4 do their thing. When he blitzes over and over it just encourages QBs to throw fast to neutralize the pass rush.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm worried because the Bills D has to face multiple Super Bowl QBs every other game this season. Wait-no they don't. The schedule will take care of the problem. When you quote stats one year to the next after 3-4 games without taking into account who the opponents were, those stats are meaningless.

13. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,895 Times in 3,464 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Hard to get off the field when you refuse to let them. Seemed every time we have a stop there's a penalty.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    Rex's deal has always been blitzing and confusion along the front 7. However, as I said when we hired him, his defenses have looked pretty average in years where he doesn't have a Hall of Famer playing in the defensive secondary. I think he needs to dial it back and drop more guys to let our front 4 do their thing. When he blitzes over and over it just encourages QBs to throw fast to neutralize the pass rush.
    Yep - I've watched his style of crowding of the DL for years, blitz or not. I guess he thinks that disguising a potential blitz is more important than putting players in position to react and respond to opponents' short and mid passing game. Positioning your LBs and perhaps safeties consistently close to the LOS strikes me as dumb in this day and age.

Especially - as it seems to me - that the quick out pass has gained favor this season.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Do you read what you write? Oaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Defense gave us a fighting change to re-enter the game yesterday, with several stops in the second half (minus the 51-yd TD). Don't get what the complaining is about.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Seems I recall an outstanding defense carrying their defensive coordinator off on their shoulders last year. If anything Shwartz had the d's respect and never needed to make excuses or apologises. Do I miss him ? Yeah. Rex still has to prove he's some kind of wizard . I haven't seen him kick ass on any of the top teir teams yet. Hell Marrone embarrassed his ass last yr.

" I'd try to see things from your point of view but..........there's only room up your a** for one head ! "

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Oaf View Post
    Defense gave us a fighting change to re-enter the game yesterday, with several stops in the second half (minus the 51-yd TD). Don't get what the complaining is about.
    I agree with you, the sacks aren't there but the defense is still playing as well as it did most of last year. Brady's and Eli's stats look nice but I think our D has played pretty well considering we're starting a 2nd Round rookie at CB and Corey Graham is playing out of position (I prefer him as a depth CB) and we're missing our best S (Aaron Williams). They've also been hurt with the offense turning the ball over and giving them a short field to play with on two occasions and lead to Patriot/Giants TDs. That said Kyle Williams has disappeared as thought he would as he doesn't really fit the 3-4/hybrid defense we're playing.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,408 Times in 1,992 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You guys are forgetting that our D really wasn't all that great during the first 4 weeks last year. It got better and better, and they were outstanding by December, but it took time.

20. Post thanked by:

colin (10-05-2015),Crisis (10-05-2015),Oaf (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 574 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

One of the few issues I had with the Rex hire was exactly that. It meant Schwartz was on the way out and Rex was going to try to fix what wasn't broken. Somebody needs to put Rex and the defensive staff in a room and show them videos of last years D. Ease off on the crazy blitzing and let the money guys up front do their thing.

We are not as bad as some of you make it sound. But we sure as hell aren't as good as we were last year with basically the same personnel.

22. Post thanked by:

YardRat (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Victor7 View Post
    One of the few issues I had with the Rex hire was exactly that. It meant Schwartz was on the way out and Rex was going to try to fix what wasn't broken. Somebody needs to put Rex and the defensive staff in a room and show them videos of last years D. Ease off on the crazy blitzing and let the money guys up front do their thing.

We are not as bad as some of you make it sound. But we sure as hell aren't as good as we were last year with basically the same personnel.
    Aaron Williams and Da'Norris Searcy are way better than what we have at S this season. Also Ryan's scheme doesn't match Mario Williams, Kyle Williams and Jerry Hughes do best. So while are D isn't as good as it was down the stretch last year I don't think it's as bad as some fans want to make it out as it is. I think we're in the top 10 moreso in the 6-10 range than like the top 3 we were last year.

Drew's my hero!
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

i have been mad at the d, but the loss of both S's and our 2nd corner has hurt us. that said, beside just losing the plot in the NE game, they have been solid overall. what's killing us is penalties on D, and O and ST. imo if we are a clean playing team we are 3-1 with a shot at 4-0, and that's with top players being hurt and being a new team. i expect the D to fall in line and play about as well as last year, but a d holding penalty or personal foul give the O a new set of downs and just sucks the life out of the team. that's what we need to correct and i'm worried the combo of rex and the hot heads we have on our team might not let that happen.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

the only guy on the d that i think is fairly useless is duke williams. he doesn't wrap anyone up, he isn't in the right position. if he is on the field, there is a big play coming his direction. and he isn't on the field that often.

he went from being a big hitter to a big liability.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 574 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    Aaron Williams and Da'Norris Searcy are way better than what we have at S this season. Also Ryan's scheme doesn't match Mario Williams, Kyle Williams and Jerry Hughes do best. So while are D isn't as good as it was down the stretch last year I don't think it's as bad as some fans want to make it out as it is. I think we're in the top 10 moreso in the 6-10 range than like the top 3 we were last year.
    Williams is still here man !! Searcy was pretty bad bro. I actually think AW-Graham beats AW-Searcy any day of the week. Now Rambo and Duke are for sure downgrades. We need AW back ASAP.

I do agree with you we are not as bad as some people might have you belive. But I do think last year's was better. Of course there's plenty of time left to change that notion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    the only guy on the d that i think is fairly useless is duke williams. he doesn't wrap anyone up, he isn't in the right position. if he is on the field, there is a big play coming his direction. and he isn't on the field that often.

he went from being a big hitter to a big liability.
    He sucks ass to no avail. A huge liability.