Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doug Marrone vs. Rex Ryan Thread

HI I AM A FREAKING LIONS FAN
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Doug Marrone vs. Rex Ryan Thread

First off, I know a number of people are going to say that Rex went to two AFC Championship games and he's a better coach than Rex, but this league is about what have you done recently and in hindsight, maybe the Pegulas should've kept Marrone. Whether people liked Marrone or not, he got the Bills to 9 wins with a roster that's not as good as Rex's. Rex's past two seasons has resulted in an 8-8 and 4-12 and this season is questionable. As far as discipline it looks like Marrone for the most part had better control over his players than Rex does and it looks like this season may go downhill quickly. Did we as Bills fans buy too much into Rex's bravado and smack talking and not focus his shortcomings as head coach? Do you think that Terry and Kim could've gotten a better coach or did they were over impulsive and hired Rex based on his big talk and flashy personality?

Off topic, I think the Bills are missing Fred Jackson big time! They miss a leader on the offense to calm the players down if things got out of hand and now they don't have one at all. I think he might've taken a pay cut to stay here.
    Last edited by blackonyx89; 10-05-2015 at 08:17 AM.
    Let's Go Bills, make it happen!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 7,271 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Doug Marrone vs. Rex Ryan Thread

Rex would not of been my choice but I'm still glad Marone is gone!

3. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 597 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Marrone got us to 8 wins with basically the same roster. I'm not counting that Pats game as a win , we all know if Brady plays the full game we lose. Our offense was pathetic to watch under Marrone , at least this team is entertaining the first 4 weeks outside of the dumb penalties and self destruction.
    You can call me streetkings

5. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 842 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Cant see myself ever wishing Marrone was still here... One thing that bugs me is Ryan swearing over and over again he wouldn't make the same mistakes he did in New York and yet he is repeating them... When the Ravens fired Brian Billick after the 2007 season and went outside the organization to hire John Harbaugh instead of giving the job to Rex when he was their DC that was a red flag and when a bunch of team s last offseason didn't care to talk to Rex about their coaching vacancies that was a red flag

7. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (10-06-2015),Mace (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I will say one thing, this team is still fighting in games that everyone would have just written off last year. Last year if we were down 24-10 with 8 minutes left I would have just known we were going to lose, this year I have at least a glimmer of hope for those situations.

Im not sure if the fact that we're in games when we play this bad speaks to the talent of the team or the coaching. Rex does things that drive me crazy at times, and the penalties are upsetting. But theres not a chance I wish Marone was still here, him bolting was the best thing to happen to this team in years.

Even if you dont like Rex, Marone leaving got us Roman at the very least. So ill take Rex and Roman over Marrone and Hacket any day. Kinda wish we still had the Schwartz defense though

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by streetkings01 View Post
    Marrone got us to 8 wins with basically the same roster. I'm not counting that Pats game as a win , we all know if Brady plays the full game we lose. Our offense was pathetic to watch under Marrone , at least this team is entertaining the first 4 weeks outside of the dumb penalties and self destruction.
    We turned over 7/11 offensive starters from last year. How in the world is this "basically the same roster"?

I was definitely furious about how yesterday's game played out and I am not a big fan of Rex, but you can't compare Marrone's season result to one month of Rex. At this point last year, we were also at 2-2 having just horrendously choked away games vs. San Diego and Houston, and we were just about to make our QB change to Kyle Orton.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 597 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
    Cant see myself ever wishing Marrone was still here... One thing that bugs me is Ryan swearing over and over again he wouldn't make the same mistakes he did in New York and yet he is repeating them... When the Ravens fired Brian Billick after the 2007 season and went outside the organization to hire John Harbaugh instead of giving the job to Rex when he was their DC that was a red flag and when a bunch of team s last offseason didn't care to talk to Rex about their coaching vacancies that was a red flag
    False........Falcons, 49ers and Bills all interviewed Rex. Falcons offered him the job but he chose us.

As far as not being offered the Ravens job after the previous coach was fired.......the same could be said about Bruce Arians.......I bet the Cards fans are happy about that. The jury is still out on Rex as HC of the Buffalo Bills.......he's only 4 games into his tenure , i'll take the wait and see approach before asking for his head on a stick!

11. Post thanked by:

Mad Bomber (10-06-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Gotta wait til the end of the season to opine on this, but it should be interesting.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I guess Rex interviewed in more places I thought but according to a SI article Rex got tired of the Falcons waffling and dickering after he interviewed there and he went ahead and toolk the Bills job

Thanks
    Thanked 26,287 Times in 13,720 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well, first they couldn't keep Marrone because Marrone chose to leave. He voluntarily used an opt-out clause in his contract.

Second, while I have my doubts about Rex, I'd still rather have him than Marrone.

15. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (10-05-2015),IlluminatusUIUC (10-05-2015)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Well, first they couldn't keep Marrone because Marrone chose to leave. He voluntarily used an opt-out clause in his contract.

Second, while I have my doubts about Rex, I'd still rather have him than Marrone.
    Marrone was smart when he inked his contract, given the BUF coaching carousal. IIRC, they compete with CLE for the most head coaching changes over the past 2 decades. As well as starting qb changes.

What a mess.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

marrone couldn't win games against bad teams decisively. you have 2 years of really bad football from marrone. he was supposed to be an OL genius. it was terrible. he gave the defense to capable people and foused on offense. team was boring, predicatable and unable to do more than FG even when the defense was giving them the game.

so now we have a team that actually is in the middle of the pack in terms of compete. you want 4 games of rex to define him and go back to the other 32 games marrone showed? that makes no sense.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    marrone couldn't win games against bad teams decisively. you have 2 years of really bad football from marrone. he was supposed to be an OL genius. it was terrible. he gave the defense to capable people and foused on offense. team was boring, predicatable and unable to do more than FG even when the defense was giving them the game.

so now we have a team that actually is in the middle of the pack in terms of compete. you want 4 games of rex to define him and go back to the other 32 games marrone showed? that makes no sense.
    I'm not defending or blaming or praising Marrone for his coaching performance. He was, however, the HC for the 1st BUF winning season in 10 years. He simply, correctly, smelled the Bill's management coffee and their history of HC changes, and cleverly engineered an unusual out - to the tune of 4 million bucks. I recall the "Syracuse Mafia" here singing his praises when inked, and then others saying that by cashing in, he would never get another NFL gig.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Marrone

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by streetkings01 View Post
    I disagree we have a better O-line, TE, WR3, and QB (and OC) under Ryan than we did with Marrone. Would we have the same record under Marrone than we have had under Ryan? I'm not sure as could see us losing to the Colts under Marrone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 574 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Marrone rode Jim Schwartz's defense to that phony 9-7 record.

Not saying he does not get any credit but lets not be quick to hand it out like that. It was mostly Schwartz in spite of Marrone and his inept offense. Oh and the last game was a fluke. Should've been yet another mediocre 8-8 season.

**** you Douglas. See you in London fat boy.

21. Post thanked by:

Mace (10-05-2015),trapezeus (10-06-2015)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,488 Times in 9,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah, I'm glad Marrone is gone. Good point about Ryan swearing he won't make the same mistakes. Doesn't look like he grew or learned, or is growing and learning week to week. Last week he was infuriated about the penalties, this week they're fine, he admires the fight even though they were more costly and we lost.

Leads you to one of two conclusions.
    -Ryan was parroting some penance he thought would make him look good for his new job, and really thinks he was sabotaged by the Jets GM and he doesn't have to change anything.
    -Ryan was sincere but can't control himself or doesn't know how

So either he can't change or won't change, because it's apparent he isn't and hasn't, which means we're all heading down the Jets path of chaos for a couple years.

Would be sort of tolerable for a couple if we at least made the playoffs, because let's face it, he's not going anywhere for a while, but he sure looks like he doesn't have the same defensive touch, or he's been solved by good coaches. He's already sounding aggravated with the media (this sure isn't NYC media either), which isn't a good sign.

Still think we're better off without Marrone though.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Yeah, I'm glad Marrone is gone. Good point about Ryan swearing he won't make the same mistakes. Doesn't look like he grew or learned, or is growing and learning week to week. Last week he was infuriated about the penalties, this week they're fine, he admires the fight even though they were more costly and we lost.

Leads you to one of two conclusions.
    -Ryan was parroting some penance he thought would make him look good for his new job, and really thinks he was sabotaged by the Jets GM and he doesn't have to change anything.
    -Ryan was sincere but can't control himself or doesn't know how

So either he can't change or won't change, because it's apparent he isn't and hasn't, which means we're all heading down the Jets path of chaos for a couple years.

Would be sort of tolerable for a couple if we at least made the playoffs, because let's face it, he's not going anywhere for a while, but he sure looks like he doesn't have the same defensive touch, or he's been solved by good coaches. He's already sounding aggravated with the media (this sure isn't NYC media either), which isn't a good sign.

Still think we're better off without Marrone though.
    Mark freaking Sanchez, Mace.

24. Post thanked by:

Mace (10-05-2015)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,488 Times in 9,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    Mark freaking Sanchez, Mace.
    Don't worry, we'll get him next year.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post

So either he can't change or won't change, because it's apparent he isn't and hasn't,
    The penalties are one thing... The media and some jets fans claimed he is below average in game day decisions and he hasn't improved in that area... His challenge in the patriots game was dumb and unnecessary and to top it off it was on a play that cant be challenged reminded me of the dumb challenges Gregg Wllliams used to do

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The penalties are one thing... The media and some jets fans claimed he is below average in game day decisions and he hasn't improved in that area... His challenge in the patriots game was dumb and unnecessary and to top it off it was on a play that cant be challenged reminded me of the dumb challenges Gregg Wllliams used to do
    Rex Ryan does not have man boobs.

28. Post thanked by:

Historian (10-08-2015)