X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Forward_Lateral
    • Mar 2004

Re: Refs Blow Call Seahawks Win

The fact that the NFL has done NOTHING to improve officiating over the past 5 years is a complete and utter disgrace. They are ruining the game. Between the terrible calls league wide, the blatant missed calls and the incompetence of the replay system, the game is becoming unwatchable. I seriously have had less enjoyment watching games this year so far than ever before. I live for football Sundays, but it's becoming very painful to watch. That, and the hours of freaking stoppages during a game. I swear I watch more commercials for How To Get Away With Murder every Sunday than I do actual football. It's disgusting.

Comment

• psubills62
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2008

Can't be, we've been told the refs are always right. We're not allowed to criticize them.

Really a terrible, terrible non-call.

They really need to start pushing the "incontrovertible evidence" aspect so they can review more calls. Get rid of this "non-reviewable" crap. Let a reviewer see the play twice from a good angle. If he/she is still unsure, then keep the call on the field, otherwise overturn it. Basically, if something is blatantly obvious, then it's not hard to see it after viewing it a couple times. It's really tiring to see judgment calls made that strongly impact the game that turn out to be horrendously bad calls by the ref.

I don't expect the refs to get everything right, but come on. That was downright awful.

At least they showed a replay of it, though. Most teams don't even get that benefit.

Hey, maybe for every play, they should show a replay and let the viewing public text in regarding what the call should be. Right? Right??
      Last edited by psubills62; 10-06-2015, 09:43 AM.
      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by GvilleBills View Post
        That's the problem with refs, they're human, therefore imperfect. There needs to oversight, and stop trying to sell these part timers as unquestionably sound.
        Of course humans make mistakes, but they make far too many of them and it is affecting the outcome of the game. Between the league's inability to keep NE from cheating and the incompetence of the refs, I'm really losing confidence that the team playing the best will actually win the game.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• psubills62
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2008

Personally, I find it a little strange that the rule is written how it is regarding fumbling out the end zone.

So in the normal field of play, if someone fumbles the ball forward and it goes out of bounds, that team retains possession and it goes back to the spot where the player fumbled it. Why isn't it the same for the end zone? I don't think it makes sense to automatically give the ball to a team that never obtained possession of it during the play.
          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Victor7
            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by BertSquirtgum View Post
            Refs have been a disgrace this year.
            Its been going on for quite some time, not just this year. But I do agree it seems to have gotten worst.

Do Kyle Williams' words make more sense now to those posters who said we were making excuses ?? The refs do screw up. More often than not. They freaking stink. Specially the inexperienced crews like the one's we've had in the 2 penalty infested weeks. I mean yesterday's crew was Tony Corrente's. That guy is one of the few good ones. And even he messed up.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
              Of course humans make mistakes, but they make far too many of them and it is affecting the outcome of the game. Between the league's inability to keep NE from cheating and the incompetence of the refs, I'm really losing confidence that the team playing the best will actually win the game.
              It all starts with Goddell. How that guy still has his job is beyond me.

Comment

• Cleve
                • Oct 2004

It was a bad call... but... the Seattle player could have/should have just scooped it up and taken a knee and it would be a touch-back. Although he might have made the bad decision to try and run it, or fallen on it and fumbled it and the Lions repossess.

So it should have been called properly, and given back to the Lions. The excuse the VP of officiating came up with was really weak sauce.

This lowly cart.... it hits harder and has a higher yards
                per play average than the Bills' offense!

Comment

• Victor7
                  • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Cleve View Post
                  It was a bad call... but... the Seattle player could have/should have just scooped it up and taken a knee and it would be a touch-back. Although he might have made the bad decision to try and run it, or fallen on it and fumbled it and the Lions repossess.

So it should have been called properly, and given back to the Lions. The excuse the VP of officiating came up with was really weak sauce.
                  Dean Blandino. A complete tool. He's always making the worst possible excuses to stand up for his refs. How he can keep a straight face while saying the ref knew the rule, saw the play but decided it was inadverted is beyond any logical explanation.

Comment

• GvilleBills
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post

You do realize we're on the same side of this fence, right?
                    Diehard BillGator... best of both worlds

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by OLDSRIP View Post
                      I agree with your point on instant replay review for penalties.

How could that be done? More coaches challenges?

You can't review them all, I don't think.

That would have added about 30 more stoppages in Sunday's game if all we reviewed.
                      I went over this with DraftBoy a while back, my idea is that you include penalties on the list of things coaches can challenge, but you force the coach to declare exactly what the review is looking for. So you can say "Jerry Hughes wasn't taunting, he was smacking a teammate's helmet" but you couldn't just say "I think someone was holding." And it would be included in the limits of regular review: 2 per game, a 3rd if you get the first two right, and none within the last 2 minutes (in the Seahawks' case this would have required a booth review.)

The game can be sped up in a number of other ways without compromising the result of the game.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by GvilleBills View Post
                        You do realize we're on the same side of this fence, right?
                        Yes.

Just tired of the "humans make mistakes" argument. Of course they do, but 95% of the population would get fired if they made as many impactful mistakes as NFL refs do.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• EricStratton
                          • Jul 2002

Don't discount the fact that one of the NFL's darling new teams in Seattle with one of their great (filthy rich) owners and their new poster boy in Wilson came out on the plus side of the call against dirty poor crappy Detroit.

Comment

• OLDSRIP
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                            I went over this with DraftBoy a while back, my idea is that you include penalties on the list of things coaches can challenge, but you force the coach to declare exactly what the review is looking for. So you can say "Jerry Hughes wasn't taunting, he was smacking a teammate's helmet" but you couldn't just say "I think someone was holding." And it would be included in the limits of regular review: 2 per game, a 3rd if you get the first two right, and none within the last 2 minutes (in the Seahawks' case this would have required a booth review.)

The game can be sped up in a number of other ways without compromising the result of the game.
                            Thanks, that might work.

I think they might need a couple extra challenges per game the way it's going this year.

The game definitely needs to be sped up. All the penalties are killing the game.

Comment

• paladin warrior
                              All-Pro Zoner
                              • Oct 2004

need real small drone ref and fire all human ref

Comment

• trapezeus
                                Legendary Zoner
                                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                                The fact that the NFL has done NOTHING to improve officiating over the past 5 years is a complete and utter disgrace. They are ruining the game. Between the terrible calls league wide, the blatant missed calls and the incompetence of the replay system, the game is becoming unwatchable. I seriously have had less enjoyment watching games this year so far than ever before. I live for football Sundays, but it's becoming very painful to watch. That, and the hours of freaking stoppages during a game. I swear I watch more commercials for How To Get Away With Murder every Sunday than I do actual football. It's disgusting.
                                but how to get away with murder is an ABC show and they don't have a game on sundays?

Comment

Working...
                                X