X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ed
    • Sep 2002

Re: Refs Blow Call Seahawks Win

I don't understand the point of the rule to begin with. If he grabs the ball and steps out the back of the endzone it's a turnover and touchback, but if he pushes the ball out of the back of the endzone it's a penalty and the offense gets the ball back and a first down. What exactly is the purpose of that rule?

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

i really think if you put a handful of refs in the booth, they see their assignments on dedicated tvs and look for penalties which the can relay to the field linesman, then you can have people in optimum positions to see fouls and such.

as it stands now, refs are throwing flags when people sell it. when tyrod got him at the sidelines. if he goes down, all 5 flags on the field. because he stands, they don't know what to do.

I am against having more replay items. but i think the transparency of the refs needs to be clearer. if you have a 25 penalty game and your game went an extra hour, that should be noted. and coaches should be able to speak out in press conferences and say, "the number of BS calls in a stack are really hard to overcome. especially when you aren't doing them." they silence the players and coaches on this. so when someone has a gripe to say its awful, it makes it seem conspiracy theory-ish to say, "it's a poorly reffed game."

i also remember as a kid, penalties were 2 second affairs. "Holding on number 45."
      Now almost every referree has their ed hochuli, " he kind of caught it, but then fell down, and then sneezed, therefore it is not a catch though it clearly looked like a catch."

it's a league issue and it is making games really painful. i used to be able to sitdown and just watch football all day, and now, i'm exhausted after the bills game and don't really care for the next game because i can't stand the fact there are going to be a ton of ref committees.

Comment

• trapezeus
        Legendary Zoner
        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Ed View Post
        I don't understand the point of the rule to begin with. If he grabs the ball and steps out the back of the endzone it's a turnover and touchback, but if he pushes the ball out of the back of the endzone it's a penalty and the offense gets the ball back and a first down. What exactly is the purpose of that rule?
        if there is an opposing player closer and maybe within reach, you want to incentivize players going for the ball. that's more fun to watch and see what comes of it. you don't want players just tapping the ball out of bounds and make it hard for the offense to get it, but simple for the defense to defend it.

Comment

• Ed
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
          if there is an opposing player closer and maybe within reach, you want to incentivize players going for the ball. that's more fun to watch and see what comes of it. you don't want players just tapping the ball out of bounds and make it hard for the offense to get it, but simple for the defense to defend it.
          That's the actual reason the NFL has the rule? That sounds pretty dumb. It's on the offense to hold onto the ball in the first place. I don't see why you need a rule to help them recover it.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
            • Mar 2013

They didn't blow the call, they did what they were told to do.

The NFL is all about the gambling. Vegas has the league by the balls.

Referees have a job to do and it has little to do with fairly officiating games.

The NFL is corrupt. It's a fixed league and that is not a conspiracy theory, it's just business.

Comment

• feldspar
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
              They didn't blow the call, they did what they were told to do.

The NFL is all about the gambling. Vegas has the league by the balls.

Referees have a job to do and it has little to do with fairly officiating games.

The NFL is corrupt. It's a fixed league and that is not a conspiracy theory, it's just business.
              I don't think this could possibly be true in this case.

The spread was Seattle -10, so they didn't cover even after the blown call. Detroit would have won against the spread no matter what was called on the field. I get the feeling the fix is in too often, but not this time. I think somebody just screwed up royally here.

I don't know how many people bet the Lions on the moneyline, but it couldn't be enough for a fix in that situation. Those are the only people affected really...but you could make serious coin winning on the moneyline betting the underdog on a 10-point spread. There are those out there more pissed than Lions fans could probably be.

Comment

• Mike
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                Of course humans make mistakes, but they make far too many of them and it is affecting the outcome of the game. Between the league's inability to keep NE from cheating and the incompetence of the refs, I'm really losing confidence that the team playing the best will actually win the game.
                That's it right there....

In a league of Parity, in a game between equals, something as simple as a blown call Will make a difference in the Final Result or a game or a Season.

I no longer believe that the best team wins a SB...
                No! It's the team that has the best luck when it comes to injuries, calls & getting hot at the right time.
                Please Make Sense

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Mike View Post

In a league of Parity, in a game between equals, something as simple as a blown call Will make a difference in the Final Result or a game or a Season.

No! It's the team that has the best luck when it comes to injuries, calls & getting hot at the right time.
                  That's always been the case in a single-elimination playoff structure. Bad bounces at the wrong time and you're done.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• starrymessenger
                    • Oct 2009

What I don't get is why the fumble was reviewable but not that part of the play that caused the change in possession i.e. the actual turnover.

Comment

• Victor7
                      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by starrymessenger View Post
                      What I don't get is why the fumble was reviewable but not that part of the play that caused the change in possession i.e. the actual turnover.
                      Penalties are not reviewable. I think the only one allowed is too many men on the field. Other than that refs can't look at a replay and determine a missed call.

Comment

• chris66
                        • Sep 2006

The only parity in the league this year is that everyone sucks with the exception of a few teams.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                          Peterman Sucks!
                          • Mar 2006

There is no parity. It's a made up illusion. The same teams are good year in and year out with very little variance.

Comment

• gebobs
                            One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                            I absolutely recognize that the refs have a nearly impossible job.

However, this is why I am such a proponent of penalty instant replay review.
                            Good god, no. Games would take half a day.
                            Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
                              Good god, no. Games would take half a day.
                              As I said, you can easily trim other detritus from the game without sacrificing the integrity of the result.

but I suppose it's important that the games end 4 minutes earlier then have the correct victor.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• gebobs
                                One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
                                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                                As I said, you can easily trim other detritus from the game without sacrificing the integrity of the result.

but I suppose it's important that the games end 4 minutes earlier then have the correct victor.
                                For my money, the refs are part of the game.

How would penalty review even apply in this situation? No penalty was called.
                                Last edited by gebobs; 10-08-2015, 10:13 AM.
                                Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍