Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Refs Blow Call Seahawks Win

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,009 Times in 4,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Refs Blow Call Seahawks Win

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Of course humans make mistakes, but they make far too many of them and it is affecting the outcome of the game. Between the league's inability to keep NE from cheating and the incompetence of the refs, I'm really losing confidence that the team playing the best will actually win the game.
    It all starts with Goddell. How that guy still has his job is beyond me.

2. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (10-06-2015),GvilleBills (10-06-2015),OpIv37 (10-06-2015),Victor7 (10-06-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It was a bad call... but... the Seattle player could have/should have just scooped it up and taken a knee and it would be a touch-back. Although he might have made the bad decision to try and run it, or fallen on it and fumbled it and the Lions repossess.

So it should have been called properly, and given back to the Lions. The excuse the VP of officiating came up with was really weak sauce.

This lowly cart.... it hits harder and has a higher yards
    per play average than the Bills' offense!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 574 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve View Post
    It was a bad call... but... the Seattle player could have/should have just scooped it up and taken a knee and it would be a touch-back. Although he might have made the bad decision to try and run it, or fallen on it and fumbled it and the Lions repossess.

So it should have been called properly, and given back to the Lions. The excuse the VP of officiating came up with was really weak sauce.
    Dean Blandino. A complete tool. He's always making the worst possible excuses to stand up for his refs. How he can keep a straight face while saying the ref knew the rule, saw the play but decided it was inadverted is beyond any logical explanation.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Of course humans make mistakes, but they make far too many of them and it is affecting the outcome of the game. Between the league's inability to keep NE from cheating and the incompetence of the refs, I'm really losing confidence that the team playing the best will actually win the game.

You do realize we're on the same side of this fence, right?
    Diehard BillGator... best of both worlds

6. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (10-06-2015)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OLDSRIP View Post
    I agree with your point on instant replay review for penalties.

How could that be done? More coaches challenges?

You can't review them all, I don't think.

That would have added about 30 more stoppages in Sunday's game if all we reviewed.
    I went over this with DraftBoy a while back, my idea is that you include penalties on the list of things coaches can challenge, but you force the coach to declare exactly what the review is looking for. So you can say "Jerry Hughes wasn't taunting, he was smacking a teammate's helmet" but you couldn't just say "I think someone was holding." And it would be included in the limits of regular review: 2 per game, a 3rd if you get the first two right, and none within the last 2 minutes (in the Seahawks' case this would have required a booth review.)

The game can be sped up in a number of other ways without compromising the result of the game.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

8. Post thanked by:

OLDSRIP (10-06-2015),Victor7 (10-06-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,210 Times in 13,678 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by GvilleBills View Post
    You do realize we're on the same side of this fence, right?
    Yes.

Just tired of the "humans make mistakes" argument. Of course they do, but 95% of the population would get fired if they made as many impactful mistakes as NFL refs do.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,124 Times in 2,078 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Don't discount the fact that one of the NFL's darling new teams in Seattle with one of their great (filthy rich) owners and their new poster boy in Wilson came out on the plus side of the call against dirty poor crappy Detroit.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    I went over this with DraftBoy a while back, my idea is that you include penalties on the list of things coaches can challenge, but you force the coach to declare exactly what the review is looking for. So you can say "Jerry Hughes wasn't taunting, he was smacking a teammate's helmet" but you couldn't just say "I think someone was holding." And it would be included in the limits of regular review: 2 per game, a 3rd if you get the first two right, and none within the last 2 minutes (in the Seahawks' case this would have required a booth review.)

The game can be sped up in a number of other ways without compromising the result of the game.
    Thanks, that might work.

I think they might need a couple extra challenges per game the way it's going this year.

The game definitely needs to be sped up. All the penalties are killing the game.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

need real small drone ref and fire all human ref

13. Post thanked by:

starrymessenger (10-07-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    The fact that the NFL has done NOTHING to improve officiating over the past 5 years is a complete and utter disgrace. They are ruining the game. Between the terrible calls league wide, the blatant missed calls and the incompetence of the replay system, the game is becoming unwatchable. I seriously have had less enjoyment watching games this year so far than ever before. I live for football Sundays, but it's becoming very painful to watch. That, and the hours of freaking stoppages during a game. I swear I watch more commercials for How To Get Away With Murder every Sunday than I do actual football. It's disgusting.
    but how to get away with murder is an ABC show and they don't have a game on sundays?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,408 Times in 1,992 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't understand the point of the rule to begin with. If he grabs the ball and steps out the back of the endzone it's a turnover and touchback, but if he pushes the ball out of the back of the endzone it's a penalty and the offense gets the ball back and a first down. What exactly is the purpose of that rule?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

i really think if you put a handful of refs in the booth, they see their assignments on dedicated tvs and look for penalties which the can relay to the field linesman, then you can have people in optimum positions to see fouls and such.

as it stands now, refs are throwing flags when people sell it. when tyrod got him at the sidelines. if he goes down, all 5 flags on the field. because he stands, they don't know what to do.

I am against having more replay items. but i think the transparency of the refs needs to be clearer. if you have a 25 penalty game and your game went an extra hour, that should be noted. and coaches should be able to speak out in press conferences and say, "the number of BS calls in a stack are really hard to overcome. especially when you aren't doing them." they silence the players and coaches on this. so when someone has a gripe to say its awful, it makes it seem conspiracy theory-ish to say, "it's a poorly reffed game."

i also remember as a kid, penalties were 2 second affairs. "Holding on number 45."
    Now almost every referree has their ed hochuli, " he kind of caught it, but then fell down, and then sneezed, therefore it is not a catch though it clearly looked like a catch."

it's a league issue and it is making games really painful. i used to be able to sitdown and just watch football all day, and now, i'm exhausted after the bills game and don't really care for the next game because i can't stand the fact there are going to be a ton of ref committees.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I don't understand the point of the rule to begin with. If he grabs the ball and steps out the back of the endzone it's a turnover and touchback, but if he pushes the ball out of the back of the endzone it's a penalty and the offense gets the ball back and a first down. What exactly is the purpose of that rule?
    if there is an opposing player closer and maybe within reach, you want to incentivize players going for the ball. that's more fun to watch and see what comes of it. you don't want players just tapping the ball out of bounds and make it hard for the offense to get it, but simple for the defense to defend it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,408 Times in 1,992 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    if there is an opposing player closer and maybe within reach, you want to incentivize players going for the ball. that's more fun to watch and see what comes of it. you don't want players just tapping the ball out of bounds and make it hard for the offense to get it, but simple for the defense to defend it.
    That's the actual reason the NFL has the rule? That sounds pretty dumb. It's on the offense to hold onto the ball in the first place. I don't see why you need a rule to help them recover it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

They didn't blow the call, they did what they were told to do.

The NFL is all about the gambling. Vegas has the league by the balls.

Referees have a job to do and it has little to do with fairly officiating games.

The NFL is corrupt. It's a fixed league and that is not a conspiracy theory, it's just business.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    They didn't blow the call, they did what they were told to do.

The NFL is all about the gambling. Vegas has the league by the balls.

Referees have a job to do and it has little to do with fairly officiating games.

The NFL is corrupt. It's a fixed league and that is not a conspiracy theory, it's just business.
    I don't think this could possibly be true in this case.

The spread was Seattle -10, so they didn't cover even after the blown call. Detroit would have won against the spread no matter what was called on the field. I get the feeling the fix is in too often, but not this time. I think somebody just screwed up royally here.

I don't know how many people bet the Lions on the moneyline, but it couldn't be enough for a fix in that situation. Those are the only people affected really...but you could make serious coin winning on the moneyline betting the underdog on a 10-point spread. There are those out there more pissed than Lions fans could probably be.

21. Post thanked by:

BuffaloRedleg (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That's it right there....

In a league of Parity, in a game between equals, something as simple as a blown call Will make a difference in the Final Result or a game or a Season.

I no longer believe that the best team wins a SB...
    No! It's the team that has the best luck when it comes to injuries, calls & getting hot at the right time.
    Please Make Sense

23. Post thanked by:

Victor7 (10-07-2015)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    That's it right there....

In a league of Parity, in a game between equals, something as simple as a blown call Will make a difference in the Final Result or a game or a Season.

I no longer believe that the best team wins a SB...
    No! It's the team that has the best luck when it comes to injuries, calls & getting hot at the right time.
    That's always been the case in a single-elimination playoff structure. Bad bounces at the wrong time and you're done.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

What I don't get is why the fumble was reviewable but not that part of the play that caused the change in possession i.e. the actual turnover.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 574 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by starrymessenger View Post
    What I don't get is why the fumble was reviewable but not that part of the play that caused the change in possession i.e. the actual turnover.
    Penalties are not reviewable. I think the only one allowed is too many men on the field. Other than that refs can't look at a replay and determine a missed call.

27. Post thanked by:

starrymessenger (10-07-2015)