Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cundiff signed. Gay released

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Cundiff signed. Gay released

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Cundiff is terrible. Career, he's only accurate under 30 yards. Under 30. From anything 30 or more, he's 114 of 154 (74%). So you don't think he's bedeviled by long kicks, even from 30-39 yards he's 62 of 83 (74.6%).

To refine the point, it's not that Cundiff can't kick in winter, it's that he can't kick with any reliability whatever. He misses short, he misses long, he misses in the clutch, he misses in garbage time.

He kicked a good extra point always. Except now they moved it into his 74% 30-39 yard range.

They'd be way better off letting Carpenter have a bad year then replacing him with Cundiff. Would be a terrible decision.

Shayne Graham would be smarter to get than Cundiff, and maybe he won't be available by the time they dump Cundiff after a few games. And make no mistake, Cundiff will not last. He's just not any good.
    Totally agree on all the Cundiff stuff. We've been through the bad Graham early in his career. I remember seeing him kick the worst field goal attempt I've ever seen at RWS. After we cut Graham, I was shocked he lasted as long as he did in the NFL. The last thing we need is to bookend his career as one of the worst Bills kickers in history.

2. Post thanked by:

Mace (10-08-2015)

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInRoch View Post
    I'm confused. I think there has to be another move coming. I'd have thought if they would have cut Carpenter, not Gay.
    Gay was next to useless. He was brought in to do one thing: touchbacks. And he wasn't very good at it. Half of his kicks were returned.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 625 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cynical View Post
    This is the best explanation. They probably realize he needs to rest to get back to being his former self, so if he misses again, they put in cundiff and let him heal up.
    Exactly. The thing that makes the most sense is that Carpenter is injured, and they want to have another FG option to use in case his injury persists. But they don't want to release him, as they know when healthy he's better than anyone else that's out there/
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Cundiff is terrible. Career, he's only accurate under 30 yards. Under 30. From anything 30 or more, he's 114 of 154 (74%). So you don't think he's bedeviled by long kicks, even from 30-39 yards he's 62 of 83 (74.6%).

To refine the point, it's not that Cundiff can't kick in winter, it's that he can't kick with any reliability whatever. He misses short, he misses long, he misses in the clutch, he misses in garbage time.

He kicked a good extra point always. Except now they moved it into his 74% 30-39 yard range.

They'd be way better off letting Carpenter have a bad year then replacing him with Cundiff. Would be a terrible decision.

Shayne Graham would be smarter to get than Cundiff, and maybe he won't be available by the time they dump Cundiff after a few games. And make no mistake, Cundiff will not last. He's just not any good.
    Cundiff isn't terrible, and he isn't great either.

He's an average middle of the pack kicker, like the majority of kickers in the NFL.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,690 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
    Gay was next to useless. He was brought in to do one thing: touchbacks. And he wasn't very good at it. Half of his kicks were returned.
    Half?

14 of 23 (61%) were TBs and at least one of the 9 (the onside kick) was intentionally not kicked through the EZ.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    Half?

14 of 23 (61%) were TBs and at least one of the 9 (the onside kick) was intentionally not kicked through the EZ.
    Jesus, really? You're calling me out on a few lousy percent? The guy is on the payroll for one reason and one reason alone. 61%, bottom half of the league, does not cut it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Jesus, really? You're calling me out on a few lousy percent? The guy is on the payroll for one reason and one reason alone. 61%, bottom half of the league, does not cut it.
    Well if youre not content with 61%, you'll really love Cundiff whos kicking them at 37%. What an upgrade

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MillsapsBillsFan View Post
    Well if youre not content with 61%, you'll really love Cundiff whos kicking them at 37%. What an upgrade
    I'm not a fan of having two kickers at all. I didn't like it 25 years ago and I don't like it any better now.

People were wondering why Gay was released. He was released because he sucks. Now if the Bills signed someone even worse, then that's a whole nutha thing. Gay ass name, Billy Cundiff.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not a fan of having two kickers at all. I didn't like it in 1991 and I don't like it any better now.

People were wondering why Gay was released. He was released because he sucks. Now if the Bills signed someone even worse, then that's a whole nutha thing. Gay ass name, Billy Cundiff.
    They did sign someone worse. Thats why people were wondering. Im not a huge fan of two kickers, but if youre going to do it dont downgrade your kicking staff in the middle of the season

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

They did sign someone worse. Thats why people were wondering. Im not a huge fan of two kickers, but if youre going to do it dont downgrade your kicking staff in the middle of the season
    Rex Ryan is an idiot. What more do we need to see that?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

BTW...where did you get that? Since 2011, he's about the same as Gay, 143/233, 61%.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

BTW...where did you get that? Since 2011, he's about the same as Gay, 143/233, 61%.
    Looked at career stats for both. http://www.nfl.com/player/billycundi...41/careerstats

career hes 194/521, 37%

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Looked at career stats for both. http://www.nfl.com/player/billycundi...41/careerstats

career hes 194/521, 37%
    Career isn't relevant since they were kicking from the 30 before '11.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Career isn't relevant since they were kicking from the 30 before '11.
    Wasnt taking that into account. My fault.

16. Post thanked by:

gebobs (10-08-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Gay and Thigpen didn't meet Rex's penalty quota. Lets hope Cundiff does a better job with the unnecessary roughness flags.

18. Post thanked by:

gebobs (10-08-2015)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Cundiff isn't terrible, and he isn't great either.

He's an average middle of the pack kicker, like the majority of kickers in the NFL.
    Well, the thing is though, most middle of the pack guys are middle of the pack from 40 and up. Cundiff has the career 74% starting at 30-39 yards over his years. That clutch fg he missed was from 32. Extra points are still now from 33.

Objectively, a placekicker, any kicker, who you can count on to only make 74% of your extra points is below average.