Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rex Ryan: Marcus Mariota won't have his way against Bills

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Rex Ryan: Marcus Mariota won't have his way against Bills

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    And he gets the media coverage he deserves for being the way he is.
    Fair enough, but the quote was still taken out of context. If they want to quote him they need to give the context as well.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,062 Times in 4,266 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Time for the Bills D to put up or shut up. Stop running your gums and do something. I'm getting tired of this already.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,941 Times in 3,493 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    Stop it... Rex mid week boasting and trash talking makes Jerry Hughes jump into the neutral zone?
    Do you think disciplined people are disciplined SOME of the time? It doesn't work that way. The coach sets a tone with a million little things to send the message that little things produce big results. When your HC is a loose cannon it ends the opposite message. Rex has some strengths. But it's looking more and more that he can't change his weaknesses.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,062 Times in 4,266 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    Do you think disciplined people are disciplined SOME of the time? It doesn't work that way. The coach sets a tone with a million little things to send the message that little things produce big results. When your HC is a loose cannon it ends the opposite message. Rex has some strengths. But it's looking more and more that he can't change his weaknesses.
    His biggest mistake, IMO, was letting Schwartz walk. Should've gave him full control of the D like a good head coach would do.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    His biggest mistake, IMO, was letting Schwartz walk. Should've gave him full control of the D like a good head coach would do.
    Yeah, I wish Rex would just step back and just be a head coach. Schwartz D was very sucessful and I think Rex could have made it better with his defensive mind. But I can understand why Schwartz didnt want to stay, probably knew he wouldnt be able to really do what he wanted to do.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,169 Times in 5,900 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Gronk is pretty undisciplined everyday except Sunday.

what a coach says away from his players on a Wednesday doesn't cause pass interference on Sunday. It doesn't cause a holding call.

What was the cause of ANY penalties on a Tony Dungy Colts team then?

So yes I believe it is very common that someone is very disciplined at there PROFESSIONAL job regardless of what goes on when they clock out.
    Last edited by sukie; 10-09-2015 at 09:08 AM.

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

what a coach says away from his players on a Wednesday doesn't cause pass interference on Sunday. It doesn't cause a holding call.

So yes I believe it is very common that someone is very disciplined at there PROFESSIONAL job regardless of what goes on when they clock out.
    Are you saying coaches cannot instill discipline? As a former coach, I heartily disagree. Every year, I would get at least some new players. They would complain to the refs and take bad penalties. Generally, nothing would have to be said. The guys that played under me the previous year would set them straight. Don't agree with a call? Tough. Keep your mouth shut. Someone get under your skin? Take it out on him with play after the puck gets dropped.

Any kid that didn't get that message was sure sorry he did when he sat down with me. You get suited up for the games. You feed pucks for warmups. You pick them up afterward while I'm talking to the rest of the team before the game. After the game, you collect and wash the water bottles. In between, you ride the pine and keep silent.

There would be some guys on the Bills that would be getting that treatment from me.
    Last edited by gebobs; 10-09-2015 at 09:39 AM.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
    Are you saying coaches cannot instill discipline? As a former coach, I heartily disagree. Every year, I would get at least some new players. They would complain to the refs and take bad penalties. Generally, nothing would have to be said. The guys that played under me the previous year would set them straight. Don't agree with a call? Tough. Keep your mouth shut. Someone get under your skin? Take it out on him with play after the puck gets dropped.

Any kid that didn't get that message was sure sorry he did when he sat down with me. You get suited up for the games. You feed pucks for warmups. You pick them up afterward while I'm talking to the rest of the team before the game. After the game, you collect and wash the water bottles. In between, you ride the pine and keep silent.

There would be some guys on the Bills that would be getting that treatment from me.
    I am not saying that at all but comments to a reporter on a tuesday don't cause undiscipline. Rex's coaching DUTY to to get a team ready to win and make sure they do not beat themselves. That happens in practice but mostly happens on Sunday. Rex blathering mid week doesn't make players do boneheaded things on Sundays. They are professionals. Team leaders need to chime in on the discipline aspect as well.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This post makes no sense. Are you saying Rex talking with the media is not part of his professional job? Because it is.

And Gronk is very disciplined every day, VERY hard worker. Bellichick has his players trained to talk to the press, they never disrespect an opponent. Did you forget that's what we're talking about?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This post makes no sense. Are you saying Rex talking with the media is not part of his professional job? Because it is.

And Gronk is very disciplined every day, VERY hard worker. Bellichick has his players trained to talk to the press, they never disrespect an opponent. Did you forget that's what we're talking about?
    Not to mention the Pats have taken in league wide perceived problem childs and they somehow behave there...Randy Moss and Corey Dillon as two examples.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

As much as I hate Bellicheat, I like how he keeps giving props even to guys like Kelsay ,etc in the past.

Even if they sucked and you keep telling yourself they are good, you just might believe it and don't take anyone for granted.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Not to mention the Pats have taken in league wide perceived problem childs and they somehow behave there...Randy Moss and Corey Dillon as two examples.
    Although Spikes, Ochocinco, Meriweather. Hernandez, etc did not.

He just cuts ties with them if they act out (like Moss, for example), and so far Rex hasn't brought down the punishments on the players who have been out of line.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Gronk is a party animal. Disciplined at his workplace... yes. Outside of work... he's a crazy dude.

I am not saying Rex's job does NOT include talking to the media. He has to be media accessible. What I am saying is what he tells the press doesn't lead to undisciplined play. THAT falls on his coaching duties and the duties of each individual professional athlete. If you wanna blame the bills leading the league in flags because rex told someone he wants to build a bully or Mariotta is NOT gonna have a field day... I would love to see the line of reasoning behind it. It cannot be a straight line.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Gronk is a party animal. Disciplined at his workplace... yes. Outside of work... he's a crazy dude.

I am not saying Rex's job does NOT include talking to the media. He has to be media accessible. What I am saying is what he tells the press doesn't lead to undisciplined play. THAT falls on his coaching duties and the duties of each individual professional athlete. If you wanna blame the bills leading the league in flags because rex told someone he wants to build a bully or Mariotta is NOT gonna have a field day... I would love to see the line of reasoning behind it. It cannot be a straight line.
    At work is all I care about, all Bellichick cares about. Look we don't need to debate facts. Rex was Bluto leading Animal House with the Jets. His teams played hard but he ran a loose ship. The loose ship and Rex's loose lips cost him his job. End of story. One remark at a presser isn't the problem. It's a culture of inaccountability that leads to failure. My take is players watch Rex say whatever damn fool comment that comes to his mind and think "Let me follow my HC's example. I just want to express myself as a player". In football, that = chaos

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

At work is all I care about, all Bellichick cares about. Look we don't need to debate facts. Rex was Bluto leading Animal House with the Jets. His teams played hard but he ran a loose ship. The loose ship and Rex's loose lips cost him his job. End of story. One remark at a presser isn't the problem. It's a culture of inaccountability that leads to failure. My take is players watch Rex say whatever damn fool comment that comes to his mind and think "Let me follow my HC's example. I just want to express myself as a player". In football, that = chaos
    That would be very unprofessional. Rex needs to do his on the field job... I agree but to blame players suddenly in their profession to act undisciplined isn't because Rex is a media blowhard.
    If fans want to try to find a paper thin excuse... by all means have at it. Players play.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That would be very unprofessional. Rex needs to do his on the field job... I agree but to blame players suddenly in their profession to act undisciplined isn't because Rex is a media blowhard.
    If fans want to try to find a paper thin excuse... by all means have at it. Players play.
    My hope when he came here is we'd see Rex 2.0, all the fire but with less of the circus. Looks more like Rex 1.0 so far.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

My hope when he came here is we'd see Rex 2.0, all the fire but with less of the circus. Looks more like Rex 1.0 so far.
    I didn't expect to be 2-2 at this point so I'm grateful for that

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    And the slight jab is why he gets the coverage he gets. He literally can't stop himself.

Why even bother to give Mariota the material to try and prove him wrong? There is nothing for us to gain from Ryan's comment, but it sure as hell can give Mariota motivation.
    Fair comment. Guess he just suffers from a foot-in-mouth thing.

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I am not saying that at all but comments to a reporter on a tuesday don't cause undiscipline.
    Of course not a lack of discipline is not due to a 15 second comment. It's due to the hours of game film, practice, etc. Rex's demeanor in front of the press is only symptomatic.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

For the record, I'm glad we caught Mariota in his rookie year. The kid looks like he has some stuff going and might really turn into something shiny who makes you nervous.