• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

TBN Carucci : Bills' D-line experiencing disconnect with scheme

Well, no one mentioned it that I saw, so.

Ryan still might have something to prove as a head coach, but no one questions his defensive coaching prowess. It’s too early and would be way too presumptuous to conclude that his scheme, which has a sterling record for success from his days as a defensive coordinator in Baltimore and the previous six years he spent coaching the New York Jets, won’t work here. But the fact is his linemen are struggling, and at least some of it seems to stem from a lack of thorough understanding and/or comfort with what they are being asked to do and how they are being taught to do it.

I know I quibbled with Yardrat about it a lot through Spring and Summer. Don't mind saying it doesn't seem to be turning out quite like I expected, so far.

Not sure what to make of it yet. Kyle Williams in a stand up role, outside (he wasn't in Pettine's variation), disturbs me though.
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Re: TBN Carucci : Bills' D-line experiencing disconnect with scheme

Originally posted by Mace View Post
    Well, no one mentioned it that I saw, so.

I know I quibbled with Yardrat about it a lot through Spring and Summer. Don't mind saying it doesn't seem to be turning out quite like I expected, so far.

Not sure what to make of it yet. Kyle Williams in a stand up role, outside (he wasn't in Pettine's variation), disturbs me though.
    Wow, that was a very interesting read. Disturbing to say the least.

After reading the article, I find myself asking the obvious question:

They're still trying to learn this defense?

I didn't know that Marcell Dareus was unhappy about, "not seeing eye-to-eye with how he was being coached," in training camp.

"We're still trying to get the puzzle."

No crap.

One part of me says, "Figure it out and put the puzzle together," and the other side says, "Simplify the defense and let them play football."

If Rex is truly a players coach, he should listen to what Dareus has to say about the defense.

Can't put a round peg in a square hole.

The pass defense has been playing great, but the Bills are ranked 29th in the league after 4 games.

Overall defense is ranked 22nd, and the run defense is ranked 3rd.

Is it a matter of the players figuring out Rex's complicated scheme, or Rex figuring out how to adjust the system to his players?

Comment

• Mace
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
      Wow, that was a very interesting read. Disturbing to say the least.

After reading the article, I find myself asking the obvious question:

They're still trying to learn this defense?

I didn't know that Marcell Dareus was unhappy about, "not seeing eye-to-eye with how he was being coached," in training camp.

"We're still trying to get the puzzle."

No crap.

One part of me says, "Figure it out and put the puzzle together," and the other side says, "Simplify the defense and let them play football."

If Rex is truly a players coach, he should listen to what Dareus has to say about the defense.

Can't put a round peg in a square hole.

The pass defense has been playing great, but the Bills are ranked 29th in the league after 4 games.

Overall defense is ranked 22nd, and the run defense is ranked 3rd.

Is it a matter of the players figuring out Rex's complicated scheme, or Rex figuring out how to adjust the system to his players?
      Yeah, this is an old argument I had on another board, that I decisively lost, and don't mind admitting it, because I learned something. Good coaches, scheme for players, they don't force players into schemes. Pretty sure it was with Cookie if he's the same guy, and credit to him. It was absolutely correct.

Does it get better ? I don't know. Would be good if it clicks into place soon though.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

I do tend to quibble now and then, when I can fit it in between bickering and squabbling.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mace
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
          I do tend to quibble now and then, when I can fit it in between bickering and squabbling.
          Well, what do you make of the article though, Mr. Frownyface Gloomypants. Weigh on in, you earned it.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Well, what do you make of the article though, Mr. Frownyface Gloomypants. Weigh on in, you earned it.
            It's still early in the season, I can wait a few more games (I think) to see if the defense can settle in and start being more productive. However, I would be lying if I said I was surprised by anything mentioned in the article.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
              Skoobasaurus-Rex
              • Oct 2011

Excuses why they look like crap, how about lack of effort ?

Comment

• Mace
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                It's still early in the season, I can wait a few more games (I think) to see if the defense can settle in and start being more productive. However, I would be lying if I said I was surprised by anything mentioned in the article.
                Says you. You're wrong, no one asked you for your opinion. Why do you have to keep harping on it ? Let it go. You're on me like a cheap suit in the rain.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                  Excuses why they look like crap, how about lack of effort ?
                  You think the Bills front 3 are mailing it in?

Staying healthy for the more important parts of the season?

I hope you're right.

Comment

• gebobs
                    One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
                    • Sep 2003

Once again, the Bills are still in preseason mode in October.
                    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• cookie G
                      • Mar 2003

Yeah, this is an old argument I had on another board, that I decisively lost, and don't mind admitting it, because I learned something. Good coaches, scheme for players, they don't force players into schemes. Pretty sure it was with Cookie if he's the same guy, and credit to him. It was absolutely correct.

Does it get better ? I don't know. Would be good if it clicks into place soon though.
                      :waves to Mace:

I have a great deal of respect for Rex as a defensive mind, but...Keith Jackson used to say, "ya gotta let the big dogs hunt".

I think it was in OTA's when Rex had a mic, he made the comment, "this is the best D line I've had".

He just needs to learn how to use them. They don't need much help to get to in the backfield, they just need to be allowed to do it. Maybe Kyle needs to talk to him (in a proactive way) or at least show him tape from last year and say.."here's what we can do when we're not moving all over the place before the snap."

Take a tip from Perry Fewell. A few years ago, when the Giants still had a badass line, Fewell came over to the DL on the sideline and was going to make an adjustment. One of the, probably Tuck, waved him off and said, "we got this".

Or, as LT said to Parcells after told him his pass rushing plays weren't in the playbook, "well...someone better put it in, because its working".

Every coach can learn. Rex has something special with the DL. He just needs to figure out why.

So endeth the quotefest.

Comment

• Swiper
                        • Sep 2010

With many of the same players, so far it looks like the defensive coordinator quality goes like this: Schwartz > Pettine > Ryan

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Schemes take time to be installed and tweaked. That's what we're dealing with on both sides of the ball. There will be moments of brilliance and moments of bewilderment. We'll know more about how well the team is performing after Week 8. By then there shouldn't be anymore excuses about scheme installation and adjustments needing to be made.
                          COMING SOON...
                          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Mahdi
                            • Mar 2004

IMO the Bills D will eventually grasp the system and play at a higher level.

That being said, the players the Bills have are not exactly suited to this scheme in terms of their body types.

Kyle and Marcell are more compact players whereas most 5 techniques are a bit longer. Mario is more suited for that job.

Just watching the coaches all 22 film though, I don't see them playing that much 3-4. Its usually a base 4-3 on early downs and then on 3rd down Rex goes to a more creative 3-4 look that involves 7-8 players at the LoS where some guys rush and others drop into coverage.

And if you look at our success on 3rd down defense we're 9th in the NFL. I think the Bills D players are just not thrilled about the fact that on 3rd down (the money down) they aren't being cut loose to get to the QB.

Rather they are getting teams off the field in other ways, forcing the QB to check down then coming up and making the tackle.

Comment

• Mike
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                              Schemes take time to be installed and tweaked. That's what we're dealing with on both sides of the ball. There will be moments of brilliance and moments of bewilderment. We'll know more about how well the team is performing after Week 8. By then there shouldn't be anymore excuses about scheme installation and adjustments needing to be made.
                              Do you think this new 3-4 scheme fits our d line better than the 4-3 wide 9?
                              Please Make Sense

Comment

Working...
                              X