X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Re: TBN Carucci : Bills' D-line experiencing disconnect with scheme

4 games in, there is enough reps for virtually every player that the coaching staff can get a read on. Next comes the adjustment stage where changes, coaching on specific area should occur and you should see probably biggest improvement on execution in a season. After 4 more games, they should be reaching a steady state where we can see indeed if they are what Rex said that they can be #1 in the league.

Preston Brown made defensive calls last year and I believe he's tasked to do that again this year. It's not a secret that Rex's D is a lot more complex compared to Schwarz's wide 9 last year, and the fact that the team is still dealing with defensive calls, assignment issues 4 games in backs that up. I know opponents' no huddle offense makes it more difficult but Brown needs to be sharp mentally in faster pace.
    Last edited by ghz in pittsburgh; 10-09-2015, 12:38 PM.

Comment

• sukie
      Seriously?
      • Sep 2012

There has been chatter about Suh down here in Miami and why he might not be effective... One thing brought up (and I don't know what this all means) is that Miami runs a Gap 2 scheme and Suh succeeded in a Gap 1 in detroit. Is it possible the players are being asked to adapt to far to much on the D line?

Comment

• MillsapsBillsFan
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        Do you think this new 3-4 scheme fits our d line better than the 4-3 wide 9?
        No. I dont really consider Kyle or Dareus a true NT, so that hurts us in a 3-4. I also think that Mario and Hughes are much better suited to the responsibilities of a 4-3, Hughes is very athletic but I would much rather see him playing a true rush role instead of having to drop into coverage. Same goes for Mario, his responsibilities are a little different in a 3-4 and I think thats a reason for some of his production issues.

Comment

• MillsapsBillsFan
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by sukie View Post
          There has been chatter about Suh down here in Miami and why he might not be effective... One thing brought up (and I don't know what this all means) is that Miami runs a Gap 2 scheme and Suh succeeded in a Gap 1 in detroit. Is it possible the players are being asked to adapt to far to much on the D line?
          It just changes what the D line is responsible for. With a one gap system youre only responsible for one place (say for instance in between the center and left guard). The two gap system is different because you're more being asked to occupy space and let the LB's make plays, in that scheme you cant really rush the same way all the time because youre responsible for more.

Comment

• stuckincincy
            Buffalo Bills Fan
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post

The pass defense has been playing great, but the Bills are ranked 29th in the league after 4 games.

Overall defense is ranked 22nd, and the run defense is ranked 3rd.

Is it a matter of the players figuring out Rex's complicated scheme, or Rex figuring out how to adjust the system to his players?
            That 3rd ranking against the run combined with 29th against the pass is concerning, although admittedly, it's early and in the MIA game, the 'fins were trying to catch up and in the NE game, well that's how they roll.

So far, 192 pass attempts and 80 rush attempts by the opposition. I realize that stats can be interpreted various ways, but I'm not so pleased with that ratio. I don't know if it's just because of the small, 4 game sample, the game situations, or there is something opponents are detecting and may continue to exploit.

My impression of Ryan's style is to generally crowd the LOS, feigning or executing a blitz. That crowd certainly can clog a run game, but at a risk of inviting passes because that crowd is in less-favorable positions for pass defense.
            Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Mace
              Haha...yeah you think so ?
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by sukie View Post
              Same thing sort of happened to Haynesworth, he went from a 1 gap aggressive DT to a 2 gap passive NT. I mean Haynesworth was Haynesworth no arguing, but it flips back to aggressive pass rushers having not being allowed to play like they always did in systems that suited them because some clever DC knows how to use them better. Hard to give up on Suh there or the Bills 4 here yet, but it really looks stupid from a fans perspective at this point. Like Cookie said, and I know better than to argue too much with Cookie, more or less it's silly to try and change what has already been proven to work.

Ryan, well, he might, because he's Ryan. He also might not, because he's Ryan. Miami...my worst nightmare is still that they'll get Schwartz even though he turned them down once.

I don't think there's any doubt though that the line from Miami and Buffalo aren't exactly comfortable in what they think they should be doing or want to be doing.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                Buffalo Bills Fan
                • Sep 2003

Here's a nice article with clicks for further words about gaps:

The latest football news, analysis, and rankings from PFF. Featuring data-driven rankings and stats for NFL, fantasy football, and the NFL Draft.
                Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Swiper
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                  Same thing sort of happened to Haynesworth, he went from a 1 gap aggressive DT to a 2 gap passive NT. I mean Haynesworth was Haynesworth no arguing, but it flips back to aggressive pass rushers having not being allowed to play like they always did in systems that suited them because some clever DC knows how to use them better. Hard to give up on Suh there or the Bills 4 here yet, but it really looks stupid from a fans perspective at this point. Like Cookie said, and I know better than to argue too much with Cookie, more or less it's silly to try and change what has already been proven to work.

Ryan, well, he might, because he's Ryan. He also might not, because he's Ryan. Miami...my worst nightmare is still that they'll get Schwartz even though he turned them down once.

I don't think there's any doubt though that the line from Miami and Buffalo aren't exactly comfortable in what they think they should be doing or want to be doing.
                  then you have to question why teams go after such acquisitions. Even with any sort of change in scheme, they often flounder.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by MillsapsBillsFan View Post
                    It just changes what the D line is responsible for. With a one gap system youre only responsible for one place (say for instance in between the center and left guard). The two gap system is different because you're more being asked to occupy space and let the LB's make plays, in that scheme you cant really rush the same way all the time because youre responsible for more.
                    The thing that throws people is that defensive linemen are not always trying to beat their blocker off the snap and get into the backfield. Some systems or assignments actually want them to stand their man up and then watch the play behind him, to try to shed off the block and make the play. A guy like Suh is great in a one-gap system because he can just blaze right through the hole he's responsible for and get into the backfield to disrupt. Kyle Williams is the same way from what I've seen. He plays better when he can work upfield as fast as possible.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Mace
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                      then you have to question why teams go after such acquisitions. Even with any sort of change in scheme, they often flounder.
                      I think it happens when you get an organization that incorrectly thinks it knows better. They're that much smarter than the last and eager to prove it.

That's why I have way more respect for teams that don't try to make the big splash, it doesn't often work, but instead build with smaller pieces and drafts, in a careful methodical way that gives longer lasting stable results.

Comment

• Mace
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                        The thing that throws people is that defensive linemen are not always trying to beat their blocker off the snap and get into the backfield. Some systems or assignments actually want them to stand their man up and then watch the play behind him, to try to shed off the block and make the play. A guy like Suh is great in a one-gap system because he can just blaze right through the hole he's responsible for and get into the backfield to disrupt. Kyle Williams is the same way from what I've seen. He plays better when he can work upfield as fast as possible.
                        One of my gripes in previous years, was that we have excellent pass rushing linemen who only want to pass rush. I still think the same of them. Schwartz at least made it work well enough. Surprised me. But he did. They don't want to muck around. They get a lot of money. Ryan is not gonna change them any. So find a way to make it work like Schwartz did.

Comment

• Buddo
                          • Mar 2007

The thing that irritates me the most about all of this, is the simple fact that the Bills D at the end of last season, was extremely effective against some great QBs, yet we discard what they were doing then, even though it was working well. Just makes no sense at all to me.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

We pretty much have the same personel as last year, as well. Enhance things, don't change for the sake of it.

Ryan talked about having run just about every system under the sun, well, he had a chance to demonstrate that, and couldn't be bothered.

There's stuff like this happens all over the NFL, and it never has, and never will, make much sense to me.

For sure, new coaches will have new approaches and ideas, but why insist on changing all the stuff that was working.

Get stuff fixed that is broken, and leave the good things alone, unless you can improve upon them immediately.

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

Here's to hoping they 'reconnect' today
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                            X