Thread: How is it...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 5,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How is it...

...that Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft can be invested in companies that are involved in gambling related to the league they own sports teams in?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/10/07...?referer=&_r=0

DraftKings and FanDuel seduce men and women into a dream of instant wealth. A handful do achieve instant wealth; for most, this dream only worsens inequality. And should the N.F.L., which draws about $1 billion annually in taxpayers’ money, be encouraging average people to gamble even more — that is, to lose even more?
    Now about the corporate backing. Comcast, Fox, Google, Time Warner, the N.B.A., Major League Baseball and the N.F.L. owners Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft have invested in FanDuel and DraftKings. Yahoo is preparing its own entry to the field.

2. Post thanked by:

Blondie (10-11-2015),Lucidvizion (10-12-2015),swiper (10-12-2015),trapezeus (10-12-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,559 Times in 17,443 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: How is it...

Because the NFL has become nothing but a huge ****ing joke.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

4. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (10-11-2015),coastal (10-11-2015),DynaPaul (10-12-2015),gebobs (10-11-2015),GvilleBills (10-11-2015),Historian (10-11-2015),Ingtar33 (10-13-2015),Jry44 (10-12-2015),Lucidvizion (10-12-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Because the NFL has become nothing but a huge ****ing joke.
    Completely agree.

Its a crap product.

6. Post thanked by:

YardRat (10-11-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,559 Times in 17,443 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

My wife just asked me yesterday "Why are you watching more college football?" "Because the NFL has become a corrupt, **** product."

8. Post thanked by:

coastal (10-11-2015),GvilleBills (10-11-2015),Historian (10-11-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

My wife just asked me yesterday "Why are you watching more college football?" "Because the NFL has become a corrupt, **** product."
    True, I'll add
    2. College football is awesome
    3. Yard work is for summer
    Diehard BillGator... best of both worlds

Dumber than the average blonde :-)
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,883 Times in 6,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

OK .. But this is not just the NFL ..

Draftkings just signed multi million dollar contracts with MBL and NHL for advertising ..

I am not a gambler of sports as I watch it for fun, but this is pretty sick and twisted.

All these professional athletes are nothing more money markers for other people ...

The amount of injuries and abuse they put their bodies through .. Horrible...

No wonder Vick had dog fighting ring .. He related to it..
    I was banned for calling Yardie a coward, by DB, in a tread about women’s issues happening right now in America. Nothing better than republican men silencing women’s voices, especially in the Buffalo Spin zone!!

11. Post thanked by:

coastal (10-11-2015)

SpikedLemonade

Kudos for having the discipline for not saying "I don't find you attractive anymore".

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Not related to Draft Kings but is related to the disgusting mess that is the NFL...

I love me some Bradshaw. Gonna have a naked fish tank room just like him someday.

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    N
    I love me some Bradshaw. Gonna have a naked fish tank room just like him someday.
    You know that was just a movie, right?

15. Post thanked by:

Blondie (10-13-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

...that Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft can be invested in companies that are involved in gambling related to the league they own sports teams in?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/10/07...?referer=&_r=0

DraftKings and FanDuel seduce men and women into a dream of instant wealth. A handful do achieve instant wealth; for most, this dream only worsens inequality. And should the N.F.L., which draws about $1 billion annually in taxpayers’ money, be encouraging average people to gamble even more — that is, to lose even more?
    Now about the corporate backing. Comcast, Fox, Google, Time Warner, the N.B.A., Major League Baseball and the N.F.L. owners Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft have invested in FanDuel and DraftKings. Yahoo is preparing its own entry to the field.
    it is absurd that you can get bills emails with a code to join one of these sites. and the fact that insiders are using the information to get a leg up makes the stories of the average guy doing well less likely.

i believe the decay in officiating and the rise of these sites with backing from the NFL is directly tied together.

17. Post thanked by:

coastal (10-12-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
    You know that was just a movie, right?
    Does it matter? It's worth aspiring to

Thanks
    Thanked 17,690 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Technically and legally, these sites aren't conisdered gambling.

It's a silly loophole, but it exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How is it that they buoy the same teams with sketchy officiating year after year?

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    it is absurd that you can get bills emails with a code to join one of these sites. and the fact that insiders are using the information to get a leg up makes the stories of the average guy doing well less likely.

i believe the decay in officiating and the rise of these sites with backing from the NFL is directly tied together.
    I agree.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,339 Times in 2,076 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Not related to Draft Kings but is related to the disgusting mess that is the NFL...

bravo terry bradshaw.

wow, thats the first time i saw that, i'm glad someone out there is saying this.

just a quote from the woman's police report

Hardy picked me up and threw me in the tile tub area of his bathroom. I have bruises from head to toe, including head, neck, back, shoulders, arms, legs elbow and feet. Hardy pulled me from the tub by my hair, screaming at me that he was going to kill me, break my arms and other threats that I completely believe. He drug me across the bathroom and out into the bedroom. Hardy choked me with both hands around my throat while I was lying on the floor. Hardy picked me up over his head and threw me onto a couch covered in assault rifles and/or shotguns. I landed on those weapons. Hardy bragged that all the assault rifles were loaded. Landing on those weapons bruised my neck and my back. Hardy screamed for his 'administrative assistant' (Sammy Curtis) to come into the room and hold me down. Curtis came into the room, grabbed me from behind and held me down. Hardy and Curtis then took me into the living room area. I wasn't nearly strong or fast enough to escape. I begged them to let me go & I wouldn't tell anyone what he did. They took me out into the hall, pushed me down & went back inside the apartment. I crawled to the elevator and ran into [Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department].
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post

I read that the person/people who wrote the law did not intend it to apply to fantasy sports. Haven't read the law myself to know how true that would appear to be.

However, it appears that the gambling institutions in Vegas are very eager to have it labeled as gambling, and Vegas has deemed it as such. DraftKings apparently already had to obtain a gambling license in UK, and may need to do so here as well soon.

http://www.ibtimes.com/daily-fantasy...siness-2144507

Unfortunately, money talks, and there's a lot of money riding on keeping fantasy sports labeled as "not gambling." Of course, it's "legal loopholes" that govern these instead of common sense, which happens a little too often in this country.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by psubills62 View Post
    I read that the person/people who wrote the law did not intend it to apply to fantasy sports. Haven't read the law myself to know how true that would appear to be.

However, it appears that the gambling institutions in Vegas are very eager to have it labeled as gambling, and Vegas has deemed it as such. DraftKings apparently already had to obtain a gambling license in UK, and may need to do so here as well soon.

http://www.ibtimes.com/daily-fantasy...siness-2144507

Unfortunately, money talks, and there's a lot of money riding on keeping fantasy sports labeled as "not gambling." Of course, it's "legal loopholes" that govern these instead of common sense, which happens a little too often in this country.
    Heh. One of my Senators, Sherrod Brown(D) has a hair up about payday lending and title lending. As does our Ohio AG, a silver spoon named Mike DeWine(R). "We must protect the people", etc. We all know the self-righteous screed.

Neither one utters a peep about the most usurious con game out there - state lotteries. There is no doubt that these fantasy sites are gambling sites. The pols are complaining because it makes a dent in their State's handle.

I remember when NYS started their lottery - 1970? - 50-cent tickets - I think the top prize was 50K. They said it was the way to combat numbers rackets and all that crime and have betting $ go for the public good and help those with a problem, but anyone with at least two brain cells knew that they were itching to get a cut of the action.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

"because you aren't amusing me, you never wear the costumes anymore and I can't fit in mine."

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,299 Times in 15,447 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Thanked 5,853 Times in 3,502 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post

For now...