Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Watkins has been a total disappointment, I think he's a bust

Thanks
    Thanked 5,215 Times in 3,684 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Watkins has been a total disappointment, I think he's a bust

The calling for more catches after supposedly not being healthy all last and now again is a complete joke, the guy can't even stay on the field. Can someone justify his potential with the numbers we've seen thus far ?? How about finding a previous WR who couldn't stay healthy but then found a very high level of success ??

It's like we drafted the WR version of CJ Spiller, with a worse attitude & at a much higher price. I'm calling it out loud now, he's a bust. I also have 2 HQ jerseys of his, soon to shelved like his career.

2. Post thanked by:

Jeff1220 (10-22-2015),TacklingDummy (10-21-2015)

SpikedLemonade

Re: Watkins has been a total disappointment, I think he's a bust

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt because of our QB situation, but I am leaning towards him being a bust given his draft position and what we gave up to trade up for him.

Hopkins is finding a way to be great despite having crap throwing to him and he was drafted in the same year as Watkins but much later. Beckham overcame injuries to be great again drafted the same year as Watkins but much later. I think you can find one or two more examples.

So far there is absolutely nothing special about Watkins.

Whaley blew the pick.
    Last edited by Haile SpikedLemonade; 10-21-2015 at 12:57 PM.

4. Post thanked by:

Jeff1220 (10-22-2015),Skooby (10-21-2015),TacklingDummy (10-21-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well considering there wasn't a decent QB on the roster they should have never drafted him in the 1st place. they should have built the line but here we are again seeing yet another skill position player wasting away.....blame Nix on this one for Drafting EJ because he had big hands...dolt...

6. Post thanked by:

Skooby (10-21-2015),Victor7 (10-21-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bust is a strong word - let's give him more than 18 games ......

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 574 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Not a bust yet but on his way.

He can redeem himself by staying healthy and producing. I get the part about having ****ty QB's. Believe me I do. I hated the pick at the moment because of the cost and the FACT that we didn't have a QB. Vintage Whaley stupidity. But the point remains that there are other WR's out there in similar spots that are producing. DeAndre Hopkins is a very good example. So is Mike Evans. For years Larry Fitzgerald put up great numbers with absolute **** throwing him the ball (sans Kurt Warner).

Sammy is at about 65%-75% bust right now. Still time to right the ship but not looking good at all.

9. Post thanked by:

Jeff1220 (10-22-2015)

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,043 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I reserve the bust label for guys who are terrible football players. Clearly he is not that.

11. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (10-21-2015),Crisis (10-21-2015),ParanoidAndroid (10-21-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Even Julio Jones would've been a bust here. No qb , No wr.

13. Post thanked by:

GreedoII (10-22-2015)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,130 Times in 4,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I said it last year and got blasted for it. I'll say it again. Watkins is made of paper. Guy is hurt nearly ever freaking game he's played in. Can't stay on the field, but complains that he doesn't get the ball. Gets the ball when he finally gets back on the field, and hurts himself on a no-contact play.

STFU Sammy and concentrate on being less of a candy-ass.

Thanks.

15. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (10-21-2015),GreedoII (10-22-2015),Historian (10-22-2015),Mad Bomber (10-22-2015),Skooby (10-21-2015),TacklingDummy (10-21-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He's definitely a bust. His vagina is bigger than most of the women on this planet.

17. Post thanked by:

Skooby (10-21-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    I said it last year and got blasted for it. I'll say it again. Watkins is made of paper. Guy is hurt nearly ever freaking game he's played in. Can't stay on the field, but complains that he doesn't get the ball. Gets the ball when he finally gets back on the field, and hurts himself on a no-contact play.

STFU Sammy and concentrate on being less of a candy-ass.

Thanks.
    This is just how I see it as well, he's a paper tiger living off an unearned reputation. Everyone I've talked to since drafted is like you guys Sammy Watkins, but thus far it's been pretty much no real success. What kind of WR gets hurt just catching a ball untouched for a TD ? Is there any other excuses he can come up with after getting the ball he desired ?

If he doesn't get the ball he complains, if he gets the ball he gets hurt. It's a big pile of **** either way, 2 F-in 1st round picks for a unhealthy player. We should of saved the extra pick to help secure the O-line, because right now it looks really thin. What a joke, almost undefendable (like picking EJ).
    Last edited by Skooby; 10-21-2015 at 02:45 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He's not a bust IMO. I see him and OBJ as equivalent talents, and I doubt any GM would have picked OBJ before Sammy if given the chance. He was the consensus #1 WR in his class, which was a very good one. If you were looking to prop up EJ he was a good choice because he lived off the short passing game and YAC whereas OBJ's skillset featured a remarkable route tree for a young wideout, like Amari Cooper, which EJ would likely not be able to use to advantage because he can't throw a football. And it's early days yet to say he's injury prone. He's had nagging injuries to be sure but he put together a pretty decent rookie year nevertheless and appeared in all 16 games. The Falcons with Dmitroff gave up more for Julio Jones in 2011 and he has been injured more than Sammy (and now is banged up again).
    Having said that Whaley was definitely at fault here. Sammy was perhaps the # 1 WR in his class but there is no way he was worth an extra first and a fourth, especially the year he was drafted given OBJ, Mike Evans, Benjamin, etc...and given that we paid that to move up only a few spots. Of course taking OBJ instead and moving up for Bridgewater is with the benefit of hindsight, but this sort of retrospective thinking was predictable, almost inevitable, when you make a bad trade. And there is little doubt that Sammy was taken to help out EJ and that was like throwing good money after bad. Truth seems to be that Whaley is pretty useless at drafting players on the offensive side of the ball. He's good at finding linebackers, DBs, rotational D-line guys (maybe because he was a linebacker/safety himself) but he totally fails as an evaluator of offensive talent. The Sammy pick was easy because of the hype, but paying what he did shows a lack of ability to understand what all other, only slightly less "desirable" prospects were out there. He basically lazed out because he did not have the wherewithal to be more astute. EJ, Sammy (in the circumstances), Goodwin (he could have cut him if it was really not his pick), Graham, Boobie, Kujo, Richardson, the handling of Brown and Cassell, Arnold Palmers grandson, etc, etc... Saying that he was going to draft the Lions TE, Ebron, if not Sammy hardly puts him in a good light. Getting McCoy is like the Sammy syndrome. You don't need to be Ozzie Newsome to know McCoy is good. Even I and a million other people knew that. On the other hand Harvin at that price for a one year rental is a bit of a head scratcher. He's still fast but there are lots of guys like that. What with the injury issues he's had I don't think either we or the Jets have seen the explosion that set him apart as a weapon in Minny or even Seattle. Without that he may still be good, but not really special.
    Being good at evaluating talent on one side of the ball is good enuf if you're a scout. A GM needs to be good at picking them on both sides.

20. Post thanked by:

Skooby (10-21-2015),Victor7 (10-21-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I agree with Vic. Too soon to call him a bust, but he's knocking on there door.

And this is the problem with what Whaley spent on him. As has been mentioned, we had/have no QB. Certainly no serious passing game QB. When you combine the risk of injury to any one player who cost so much to acquire, and add insult to injury with the fact that there were many other equivalent WRs available in the same draft at half the price, you really have to conclude that Whaley needs to be fired.

He gambled big on EJ, then double/tripled down with the Watkins fiasco. He lost. He needs to go away.

22. Post thanked by:

Historian (10-22-2015),Skooby (10-21-2015)

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,714 Times in 3,432 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Nearly 1000 yards his rookie year and having bad luck with injuries earns him the bust label? You people are way more fragile than he is.

24. Post thanked by:

Crisis (10-21-2015),djjimkelly (10-21-2015),HAMMER (10-21-2015),John Doe (10-21-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,794 Times in 1,207 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The offense is a lot better with him on the field. Hard to say he's a bust knowing that. Whaley has brought in a lot of talent. Still, there is a lot lacking with these guys it would seem. If he can't get it done we need to go in a different direction.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    I agree with Vic. Too soon to call him a bust, but he's knocking on there door.

And this is the problem with what Whaley spent on him. As has been mentioned, we had/have no QB. Certainly no serious passing game QB. When you combine the risk of injury to any one player who cost so much to acquire, and add insult to injury with the fact that there were many other equivalent WRs available in the same draft at half the price, you really have to conclude that Whaley needs to be fired.

He gambled big on EJ, then double/tripled down with the Watkins fiasco. He lost. He needs to go away.
    Triple down? How about quadruple down? He burns a first on a QB who should have gone much later in the draft, somewhere between Glennon and Mettenberger (who are both much better than him anyway) and who the Patriots had as a possible sixth rounder under the caption "athlete" not QB. He then overpays for Sammy because EJ can't throw a football. He also doesn't draft a real QB, like Bridgewater, because, after all, he's just drafted his franchise guy. And lastly he mishandles the Cassell situation because he figures EJ has improved, which he hasn't. So EJ has hurt the Bills in many ways, and continues to hurt them, but none of it is his fault.

27. Post thanked by:

Victor7 (10-21-2015),WagonCircler (10-21-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    The offense is a lot better with him on the field. Hard to say he's a bust knowing that. Whaley has brought in a lot of talent. Still, there is a lot lacking with these guys it would seem. If he can't get it done we need to go in a different direction.
    Him on the field being the key.

29. Post thanked by:

Typ0 (10-21-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,794 Times in 1,207 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The other thing is this team sucks. They are very talented but the mixture is bad. You can't fault a player for that. A bust is someone who doesn't belong on the field. We have all seen the talent Watkins has what team in the league is he not a starter on?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The other thing is this team sucks. They are very talented but the mixture is bad. You can't fault a player for that. A bust is someone who doesn't belong on the field. We have all seen the talent Watkins has what team in the league is he not a starter on?
    When does he actually play up to his potential ? We gave up the farm for him, that comes with some expectations. Like simply staying healthy and being productive, not getting hurt while untouched.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
    Nearly 1000 yards his rookie year and having bad luck with injuries earns him the bust label? You people are way more fragile than he is.
    It's not possible to be more fragile than Sammy Watkins.

33. Post thanked by:

Skooby (10-21-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills. Because of the obvious. He's always ****ing hurt. Worthless.