Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Balls and goats

Thanks
    Thanked 5,853 Times in 3,502 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Balls and goats

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    The refs get a goat.

Made me sick to hear Tirico and Gruden go on and on about the "inadvertent whistle," but they still gave them the pass from where he caught it (not sure if I've seen that before), and also gave them another 15 yards tacked on for whatever else on that play.

The Bills got the raw end of the refs starting early, when they called a bogus holding call on Corey Graham which took back the Rambo INT on the Pats first possession. That probably ended up being at least a six point swing after the Pats ended up scoring a field goal on that drive.

The roughing the kicker non-call was absurd as well.
    Actually Graham has a fist full of jersey and it should have been a PI. The issue I have is why in the **** was he grabbing his jersey??? If you weren't burnt you wouldn't need to grab the ****ing guy.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Goats:

McKelvin...again Come on man!
    Graham - (1)Stupid grabbing of the jersey on the nullified INT. (2)Then this guy misses a wide open receiver that walked into the endzone.
    Duke Williams - Amendola made him look like a ****
    Greg Roman - (1)sweep on a 3rd and 1 when we're supposed to be a smashmouth football team? (2)run up the ****ing middle and stop trying to be cute. (3)need to get Taylor out of the pocket MUCH more by design. Taylor's best assets are in ability to throw on the run or use his legs. Play to your strengths!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    Actually Graham has a fist full of jersey and it should have been a PI. The issue I have is why in the **** was he grabbing his jersey??? If you weren't burnt you wouldn't need to grab the ****ing guy.
    Well, somebody already said that they showed the play again from a different angle later in the game.

Whatever Graham did did not impede Gronk's progress at all. Calling anything based on a guy grabbing another guy's jersey is BS in my opinion. You see it all the time...huge calls based on some tricky-tack brief grab of the jersey that did nothing to affect anything.

PI as opposed to holding wouldn't have made any difference really, even if there weren't offsetting penalties. It was a short route.

I'll have to get another look at it if they showed it later in the game. But I don't think I'm quite ready to watch this one again quite yet...very frustrating.

4. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (11-24-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 574 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Balls
    Rex the Defensive Coordinator. Phenomenal game plan. Kept the high powered Pats in check for most of the game despite the ineptitude of the offense. Got pressure and stopped the run game despite having both Mario and Marcel miss a lot of time. Lets hope this was the game they finally "clicked" and it will be like this for the remainder of the season.
    Shady. Game changer. If only we had more talent at QB and teams didn't focus on him he'd be going over 120 every week.

Goats.
    Rex the manager. Horrendous managing again. Pathetic 2 minute offenses on both halves, pathetic use of time outs, pathetic penalties and pathetic that after 10 games they are still having communication issues. This is 2015 you seriously cant get someone to fix a ****ing head set?
    Greg Roman. The shine is wearing off on this cat. Horrendous game plan. Does Greg know he's allowed to run more than just 2 plays? Shotgun draw and shotgun sweep. That's all he knows. Nothing more. No use of Sammy or Clay either. Just a miserable game plan from our OC
    Tyrod Taylor. Worst game of the season. Had he been above average we win the game. He was EJ Manuelesque inaccurate. Missed a td throw to Hogan and a couple more long ones to Sammy. Under threw, overthrew, led too much, threw behind, never got past his 1st read. Just terrible. And despite that he's our best shot. If he's not out there next week its over.
    Leodis McStupid. Done with him. Just cut him. He's too stupid to be on the team. His good plays will never outweigh the bad ones. Unreal.
    Duke Williams. Another guy that has no business being on the field. A disgrace of a "player"
    Dan Carpenter. Nice miss you ****. 10 point swing right there.
    Refs. What else is there to say? I wrote before the game that Steratore was a mess. Boy was I wrong. He was an unmitigated disaster. These refs get worst by the week. Its amazing in a very very bad way

Side note.
    Win next week or its over. Its that simple

Thanks
    Thanked 24,454 Times in 14,166 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto View Post
    . T-rod didn't have the best day, but I'm not ready to say EJ would have been better. Not sure what's up with Sammy. Was he covered all the time or did T-rod just not throw to him?
    This actually pretty simple to explain and a bunch did last night on social media during the game. also I think Ingtar and a few others mentioned it when Watkins first commented about his lack of targets. Tyrod is running a single read option on nearly every pass. His read is to one side and if its not there he is supposed to go to his check down or get out of the pocket and see if the defense will breakdown.

I only watched the first half because I had to get up early for work but on the majority of passing plays the read for Taylor was not to Watkins side. It was like they were using him as a decoy. I mention that specifically because of the big Hogan catch near the end of the first half. Both Pats DB's break on Watkins in route leaving Hogan wide open for 30+ yards. I'm not sure that was Roman's design but I don't think the lack of Watkins targets is specifically on Tyrod. I think that is the way the offense for the most part is being schemed right now. It's a half-field/one-read offense from a passing perspective which can be really limiting once defenses figure out what to look for. It's a lot of what Roman did with Kap in San Francisco as well.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Only watched the first half so my balls and goats are based on that:

Balls:
    Bills Defensive Scheme - Brady and the OL were confused all night and constantly having to adjust and readjust protection.
    McCoy - Some nice tough runs against loaded boxes. He's not a power guy but if he's getting 3-4 ypc against an 8 man box on an inside run then I'll take that.
    Woods/Hogan - Ran better routes and found soft spots against a good Pats D. Also good effort blocking when asked.
    Glenn - I thought he did extremely well to limit Chandler Jones. Only time he got beat was one time when Tyrod ducked under Jones and scrambled away

Goats:
    Gilmore - You can't miss that tackle and then get beat on back to back plays at the end of the first half, that's just bad form.
    Henderson - Stupid penalty for illegal formation
    Graham - No excuse for letting White get free for the TD. You have to at least get him out of bounds there.
    Felton - If we're going to pay a guy to block, he should probably at least block somebody. 2x in the first half he's left standing at the end of the OL looking at air.
    Moore - If you're going to take the ball out of the end zone on a kickoff, you don't hesitate, grab the ball and go.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Only watched the first half so my balls and goats are based on that:

Balls:
    Bills Defensive Scheme - Brady and the OL were confused all night and constantly having to adjust and readjust protection.
    McCoy - Some nice tough runs against loaded boxes. He's not a power guy but if he's getting 3-4 ypc against an 8 man box on an inside run then I'll take that.
    Woods/Hogan - Ran better routes and found soft spots against a good Pats D. Also good effort blocking when asked.
    Glenn - I thought he did extremely well to limit Chandler Jones. Only time he got beat was one time when Tyrod ducked under Jones and scrambled away

Goats:
    Gilmore - You can't miss that tackle and then get beat on back to back plays at the end of the first half, that's just bad form.
    Henderson - Stupid penalty for illegal formation
    Graham - No excuse for letting White get free for the TD. You have to at least get him out of bounds there.
    Felton - If we're going to pay a guy to block, he should probably at least block somebody. 2x in the first half he's left standing at the end of the OL looking at air.
    Moore - If you're going to take the ball out of the end zone on a kickoff, you don't hesitate, grab the ball and go.
    Nothing about Amendola making Duke Williams looks like a Pop Warner backup?

9. Post thanked by:

gebobs (11-24-2015)

elite QB
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

my goat is for Roman (nee Hackett) for calling all of those runs on first down. so predictable, we're just basically wasting a down every series. and whats the deal with Tyrod running right along side him when handing the ball off? the play seems so slow and easy to defend. I remember hackett doing the same thing. don't get it....

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No goat mention for Mario?

He's the one that helped allow the TD at the end of the first half by not jamming on the RB. Of course the missed tackle at the 10 also helped that TD, but if Mario even just chips on him that play never even happens.

12. Post thanked by:

Fixxxer (11-25-2015)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Balls:

Defensive effort - at least until they got gassed. IMO, they need another true DT in the rotation - even if KW was healthy.

Goats:

Coaching.

I was constantly yelling at the tv about not getting to the LOS quickly (and they're far from unique there). NE taught them a lesson there and the waning moments of the game.

Taylor is what he is. Calling curl patterns more would help him. Too much of the two-back set. Yes - keep NE guessing and free up McCoy - I get that. But I'd rather have an extra wr pop off the line and look back to the LOS given that Taylor is essentially in a scramble on (seemingly) most snaps. My 2 cents here...

That db blitz at the end of the half that resulted in a NE td...3rd and 10 from the 20 with 19 seconds left. I guess the official line is "missed assignment." Bunk. That was a lousy defensive play call at that time and distance.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

14. Post thanked by:

gebobs (11-24-2015)

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The roughing the kicker non-call was absurd as well.
    Non-call it may have been. Rewinding on the iPad was problematic last night and they didn't show a replay. It appeared to me, out of the corner of my eye, that it might have been running into the kicker. You practically have to kill the guy to get the personal foul roughing. Still, if the refs though the guy was blocked in, it gets their pass. Again, haven't seen the play since so i won't render judgment.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
    Non-call it may have been. Rewinding on the iPad was problematic last night and they didn't show a replay. It appeared to me, out of the corner of my eye, that it might have been running into the kicker. You practically have to kill the guy to get the personal foul roughing. Still, if the refs though the guy was blocked in, it gets their pass. Again, haven't seen the play since so i won't render judgment.

It was, as they say, a good "non-call." NE player hit the ground in front of the punter and rolled up on the punter's foot after the kick was cleanly launched. Calling it would have been one of those so-called "ticky-tack' pens the pundits talk about.

17. Post thanked by:

gebobs (11-24-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah...let's not bemoan Rambo's coverage skills anymore.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    No goat mention for Mario?

He's the one that helped allow the TD at the end of the first half by not jamming on the RB. Of course the missed tackle at the 10 also helped that TD, but if Mario even just chips on him that play never even happens.
    Rewatching that play, nothing about it looked like the RB was Mario's responsibility given the long arching rush he took. Looked like the safety just didn't get down into the area fast enough or make the tackle, so no. There were some times were he appeared to only battle until he got engaged and then just stopped but other times that he either flushed Brady or cause some pocket issues for him. Overall I didn't think he had a bad or great first half.

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly don't recall the play specifically, but given Duke Williams was involved I'm sure it was bad.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Whatever Graham did did not impede Gronk's progress at all. Calling anything based on a guy grabbing another guy's jersey is BS in my opinion. You see it all the time...huge calls based on some tricky-tack brief grab of the jersey that did nothing to affect anything
    If I was commissioner I would make defensive holding a 10 yard, no automatic first penalty. There's no reason why a ticky tack hold should convert a 3rd and 15 as I've seen many times.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

21. Post thanked by:

Victor7 (11-25-2015),YardRat (11-24-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Balls:

Defensive effort - at least until they got gassed. IMO, they need another true DT in the rotation - even if KW was healthy.

Goats:

Coaching.

I was constantly yelling at the tv about not getting to the LOS quickly (and they're far from unique there). NE taught them a lesson there and the waning moments of the game.

Taylor is what he is. Calling curl patterns more would help him. Too much of the two-back set. Yes - keep NE guessing and free up McCoy - I get that. But I'd rather have an extra wr pop off the line and look back to the LOS given that Taylor is essentially in a scramble on (seemingly) most snaps. My 2 cents here...

That db blitz at the end of the half that resulted in a NE td...3rd and 10 from the 20 with 19 seconds left. I guess the official line is "missed assignment." Bunk. That was a lousy defensive play call at that time and distance.
    What extra WR do we have to line up? Once Easley goes out its only Denarius Moore on the depth chart at WR left. We're carrying five WR's by position but only three that actually play on offense.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    If I was commissioner I would make defensive holding a 10 yard, no automatic first penalty. There's no reason why a ticky tack hold should convert a 3rd and 15 as I've seen many times.

Wouldn't the basically give any DB or LB who gets beat on 3rd and 10+ the ability to hold the WR/RB/TE as he goes past with a limited punishment? Not against it, but I also don't think grabbing a fist full of jersey and pulling on it is really ticky tack either.

If I was commissioner though I'd certainly change the grounding rules to stop that bull**** Brady was doing last night. Not a WR/TE/RB within a 3 yard radius? Automatic flag and make it reviewable because we have the technology to impose a six yard diameter circle around the ball on video.

Don't care about in the pocket or out either, if you're not going to throw it out of bounds past the LOS, then you're going to get flagged. Pissed me off to watch that last night.
    Last edited by DraftBoy; 11-24-2015 at 02:58 PM.

24. Post thanked by:

YardRat (11-24-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I honestly don't recall the play specifically, but given Duke Williams was involved I'm sure it was bad.
    I believe that was the play on 3rd and 7 that Amendola took to the 6yl setting up their second TD. Rambo had gone off, Williams in. Amendola goes out and does a short slant away from Williams who is doing god knows what. He backtracks after the catch and Amendola walks around him for 41 yards.

26. Post thanked by:

Victor7 (11-25-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
    I believe that was the play on 3rd and 7 that Amendola took to the 6yl setting up their second TD. Rambo had gone off, Williams in. Amendola goes out and does a short slant away from Williams who is doing god knows what. He backtracks after the catch and Amendola walks around him for 41 yards.
    Didn't see it, Pats only scored one TD in the first half. I didn't stay up for the second half.

28. Post thanked by:

gebobs (11-24-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I didn't stay up for the second half.
    I should have done the same after watching the way the half ended.

30. Post thanked by:

DraftBoy (11-24-2015)