Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Balls and goats

Thanks
    Thanked 24,457 Times in 14,168 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Balls and goats

Quote Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
    I should have done the same after watching the way the half ended.
    Gotta get up earlier for work now, so it was a decision between sleep and being ok at work today or being sleep deprived and pissed off at myself. I choose option 1 and feel good about it.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

2. Post thanked by:

gebobs (11-24-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,339 Times in 2,076 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto View Post
    Not sure what's up with Sammy. Was he covered all the time or did T-rod just not throw to him?
    I wrote this when i was still ticked off

Watkins - Elite WRs get open, sticking your hand up when you're double covered and giving up on your routes doesn't count as being open, and generally it's bad form if you just give up on your route and the ball is in your QB's hand. This is why you were barely used last night
    To expand on that point,

Basically BB dedicated last night to taking away Watkins. He had him double covered all night with a cornerback and safety. He was doing basically the same thing with Clay, only it was a Linebacker and the other safety, or a DE or a CB, depending on defense. Because BB had both DE's playing 2gap, and/or spying on Taylor he was covering everything except for all the other WRs and Shady, who he inexplicably did NOT gameplan for. Woods, Shady and Hogan should have had a MONSTER night (shady got his, heck if he caught that deep pass he would have had an insane night, Hogan was a couple of missed passes away from his, so it's not like they didn't get anything the pats were giving them, its just the pats were giving them a LOT more then we took). Roman didn't adjust, and actually dialed back the plays to Shady as the game went on (no clue why), Tyrod looked confused when his primary WR was covered (usually watkins or clay), it wasn't till later he started to find Woods and Hogan, that again rolls back to Roman not adjusting and helping out the QB.

Watkins didn't help himself by dogging it all night, man was that some lazy play. I'm glad MNF didn't play any more iso cams of watkins, from what i saw on the "other" plays he was dogging it and lazily waving his hand as if expecting to be thrown to while blanketed by the guy he isn't bothering to get open against, to say nothing for the safety over top. The patriots basically were begging TT to kill them with 10 yard slants, hooks and outs to Hogan and Woods, and we didn't even try to do it.
    Last edited by Ingtar33; 11-24-2015 at 04:23 PM.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

4. Post thanked by:

cookie G (11-25-2015),TacklingDummy (11-24-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,559 Times in 17,443 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    Taylor is dumber than sh1t.

Mario Williams is a butt ****ing quitter.

Rex is a **** bag.

Russ Brandon is a bigger **** bag.
    Points off for not including **** in all four comments.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Wouldn't the basically give any DB or LB who gets beat on 3rd and 10+ the ability to hold the WR/RB/TE as he goes past with a limited punishment? Not against it, but I also don't think grabbing a fist full of jersey and pulling on it is really ticky tack either.

If I was commissioner though I'd certainly change the grounding rules to stop that bull**** Brady was doing last night. Not a WR/TE/RB within a 3 yard radius? Automatic flag and make it reviewable because we have the technology to impose a six yard diameter circle around the ball on video.

Don't care about in the pocket or out either, if you're not going to throw it out of bounds past the LOS, then you're going to get flagged. Pissed me off to watch that last night.
    I thanked this post, but I wouldn't necessarily consider a penalty that coverts a 3rd and 11 (for example) to a 3rd and 1 'limited'. Penalty yardage is one thing, but under no circumstances should a penalty automatically result in a first down if the yardage isn't sufficient to obtain it. If they want to call defensive holding worth a five-yard walk-off, than that's what it is...five yards, spot the ball, and refigure the down and distance.

Do you read what you write? Oaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Duke Williams … I hate the player. Would be all for cutting him and signing a less athletic vet that actually had football instincts.

Seriously, I'd take Jim Leonard tomorrow over the scrub.

8. Post thanked by:

Victor7 (11-25-2015)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Wouldn't the basically give any DB or LB who gets beat on 3rd and 10+ the ability to hold the WR/RB/TE as he goes past with a limited punishment? Not against it, but I also don't think grabbing a fist full of jersey and pulling on it is really ticky tack either.
    No, and why would it? It's like saying the offside rule gives any DL the ability to just run across the line before the snap with a limited punishment. 10 yards and a free play isn't punishment enough for you?

The issue with defensive holding is that it can happen almost anywhere on the field. With DPI, there are all manner of restrictions on it: No DPI behind the LOS, no DPI if the ball is uncatchable, no DPI if the pass is tipped in the air. Even though that doesn't work all the time, the intention at least is that it's a harsher penalty because you know it meaningfully impacted the play. Defensive holding can be called on the tiniest hand fight on a route the QB doesn't even look for. Automatic first is too much for a penalty that doesn't directly affect the outcome of the play IMO

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    No, and why would it? It's like saying the offside rule gives any DL the ability to just run across the line before the snap with a limited punishment. 10 yards and a free play isn't punishment enough for you?

The issue with defensive holding is that it can happen almost anywhere on the field. With DPI, there are all manner of restrictions on it: No DPI behind the LOS, no DPI if the ball is uncatchable, no DPI if the pass is tipped in the air. Even though that doesn't work all the time, the intention at least is that it's a harsher penalty because you know it meaningfully impacted the play. Defensive holding can be called on the tiniest hand fight on a route the QB doesn't even look for. Automatic first is too much for a penalty that doesn't directly affect the outcome of the play IMO
    Well the first issue is that they blow the play dead if you have an unimpeded path to the QB/RB so that's one of the reasons why they don't. Also there is nothing to gain by being offside for the defense. On a holding situation as I described you save your team yards and potentially keep points off the board. Being in an offside position doesn't offer either of those benefits to a defense.

That's not an issue, imo. If you can't cover the guy, then you can't cover him. It's complete crap that you should be allowed to grab a hold of him or his jersey because you're slow and can't keep up. Also I can't think of a single instance where I've seen holding called on hand fighting except when a DB grabbed the WR's forearm and yanked on him which is blatantly obvious.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 574 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Balls:

Defensive effort - at least until they got gassed. IMO, they need another true DT in the rotation - even if KW was healthy.

Goats:

Coaching.

I was constantly yelling at the tv about not getting to the LOS quickly (and they're far from unique there). NE taught them a lesson there and the waning moments of the game.

Taylor is what he is. Calling curl patterns more would help him. Too much of the two-back set. Yes - keep NE guessing and free up McCoy - I get that. But I'd rather have an extra wr pop off the line and look back to the LOS given that Taylor is essentially in a scramble on (seemingly) most snaps. My 2 cents here...

That db blitz at the end of the half that resulted in a NE td...3rd and 10 from the 20 with 19 seconds left. I guess the official line is "missed assignment." Bunk. That was a lousy defensive play call at that time and distance.
    Could not disagree more.

The DL more than held their own the whole game. In fact both Dareus and Mario missed lots of time with injuries and the back ups kept the pressure and the run game in check. Hughes was a one man wrecking crew

The only players to blame on D are the failure that is Duke Williams and Graham for his flag and poor tackling. Everyone else played a great game IMO

12. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (11-25-2015),mysticsoto (11-25-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 574 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This

How many times have you seen a minuscule hold or grab of an arm away from the play result in an automatic first down ?? Its stupid. They should have a provision on the rule that if the penalty occurs away from the play its not a 1st down. Give the 5 yards but no automatic set of downs. It makes no sense.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,897 Times in 4,019 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Victor7 View Post
    This

How many times have you seen a minuscule hold or grab of an arm away from the play result in an automatic first down ?? Its stupid. They should have a provision on the rule that if the penalty occurs away from the play its not a 1st down. Give the 5 yards but no automatic set of downs. It makes no sense.
    The stupid part, to me, is watching someone grab a jersey and then complain about getting called. And when you watch a jersey getting tugged..that is by far the vast majority of the calls. When you get into things like whether it might have impeded a receiver...it gets worse, because you open it up to even more of a judgment call.

Keep it black and white and make your players learn the rule. Keep your palms open and don't clasp your fingers.

God, I think I'd be going Herman Boone on some players.

You grab a jersey while you're blocking or covering a receiver..you run a mile;
    you block in the back on a kick off or punt return, you run a mile.

It gets down to sloppy football. Adapt, discipline yourself or keep getting called.

15. Post thanked by:

Victor7 (11-25-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,220 Times in 3,689 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

BALLS: Anbody willing to stay up to watch the refs flop around like a live fish on a hot pan, what an embarrassment.

Goats: Refs watching NE's safeties / corners never look back for passes while running into the Bills WR. They only called one penalty (P. Interference) for that event on NE & that one wasn't near a scoring play.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well the first issue is that they blow the play dead if you have an unimpeded path to the QB/RB so that's one of the reasons why they don't. Also there is nothing to gain by being offside for the defense. On a holding situation as I described you save your team yards and potentially keep points off the board. Being in an offside position doesn't offer either of those benefits to a defense.
    It gives you leverage over the lineman and a much easier path to the QB.

That's not an issue, imo. If you can't cover the guy, then you can't cover him. It's complete crap that you should be allowed to grab a hold of him or his jersey because you're slow and can't keep up. Also I can't think of a single instance where I've seen holding called on hand fighting except when a DB grabbed the WR's forearm and yanked on him which is blatantly obvious.
    No one's saying you should be "allowed" to grab a hold of him, silly. We're talking about what the appropriate penalty is for that infraction.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It gives you leverage over the lineman and a much easier path to the QB.
    Ok, which gives the defense a guarantee of nothing.

No one's saying you should be "allowed" to grab a hold of him, silly. We're talking about what the appropriate penalty is for that infraction.
    Well aware and that is the appropriate penalty. If you can't cover the guy, and you break the rules its going to cost you and it should. Either get better or scheme better.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Ok, which gives the defense a guarantee of nothing.
    Ok, and when was that the standard for anything?

Well aware and that is the appropriate penalty. If you can't cover the guy, and you break the rules its going to cost you and it should. Either get better or scheme better.
    Why is it the appropriate penalty? As I said earlier, the automatic first for pass interference makes sense because the ball is actually in the air to the wideout at that point, and they still don't call it if the pass was so wild that the infraction doesn't affect the play.

Take the extreme example: What if defensive holding was an automatic ejection? You could still sit there with your cliches saying "If you can't cover the guy, and you break the rules its going to cost you and it should. Either get better or scheme better."

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Ok, and when was that the standard for anything?
    Re-read the example I provided in my original response as to my issue with the lessening of the penalty. In that scenario there is something the defense is guaranteed to gain by taking the holding penalty, in your counter you don't approach that standard. If you didn't agree with it in the first place, that's one thing but when you responded in kind I was assuming you accepted the premise.

Why is it the appropriate penalty? As I said earlier, the automatic first for pass interference makes sense because the ball is actually in the air to the wideout at that point, and they still don't call it if the pass was so wild that the infraction doesn't affect the play.

Take the extreme example: What if defensive holding was an automatic ejection? You could still sit there with your cliches saying "If you can't cover the guy, and you break the rules its going to cost you and it should. Either get better or scheme better."
    Because defensive holding is allowing the defense to basically guarantee something won't happen (like an offensive player get deep for a big gain or score). Whether that's away from where the play ended up going or not isn't really relevant because the hold negated what may have been able to develop.

No thanks on the extreme example, this isn't a discussion that needs hyperbole. I think we can hash this out on the basis of what the penalty is or isn't. If you have to take it to that level to try and make your point then I'm not sure you have one at all.

Not a cliche either, it's simply the reality. You want to change the rules to excuse somebody breaking them because they aren't talented enough or coached up well enough to play the game within the confines of the rules. I don't see a legitimate reason for that.

Registered User chernobylwraiths's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I love when people say Taylor sucked and couldn't get the ball to anyone and then call out the receivers. Can't really pick them both.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re-read the example I provided in my original response as to my issue with the lessening of the penalty. In that scenario there is something the defense is guaranteed to gain by taking the holding penalty, in your counter you don't approach that standard. If you didn't agree with it in the first place, that's one thing but when you responded in kind I was assuming you accepted the premise.

Because defensive holding is allowing the defense to basically guarantee something won't happen (like an offensive player get deep for a big gain or score). Whether that's away from where the play ended up going or not isn't really relevant because the hold negated what may have been able to develop.
    The defense isn't guaranteed anything by taking a defensive holding penalty. The pass might not come that direction. In fact there might not even be a pass at all, it is possible to get called for defensive holding on a run play.

Awarding an automatic first without any conditions on what "may have been able to develop" is too severe. Why is it that the defense holding deserves an auto first but offensively holding allows them to replay the down? Why is holding a wideout treated so much worse then holding a pass rusher?

No thanks on the extreme example, this isn't a discussion that needs hyperbole. I think we can hash this out on the basis of what the penalty is or isn't. If you have to take it to that level to try and make your point then I'm not sure you have one at all.
    It's a pretty obvious point. You like to defend the status quo simply because it is the status quo. If the status quo was different and extreme, would you still defend it? If so, why? And if not, what is different?

Not a cliche either, it's simply the reality. You want to change the rules to excuse somebody breaking them because they aren't talented enough or coached up well enough to play the game within the confines of the rules. I don't see a legitimate reason for that.
    Because the penalty is too harsh for the infraction, and indeed is harsher on the defense then the offense for the same infraction. The NFL changes the rules all the time when they find that a rule is too harsh, too lenient, or too confusing to enforce.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The defense isn't guaranteed anything by taking a defensive holding penalty. The pass might not come that direction. In fact there might not even be a pass at all, it is possible to get called for defensive holding on a run play.
    Disagree, they are guaranteed that the player being held will not be making a play.

Awarding an automatic first without any conditions on what "may have been able to develop" is too severe. Why is it that the defense holding deserves an auto first but offensively holding allows them to replay the down? Why is holding a wideout treated so much worse then holding a pass rusher?
    Offensive holding also negates any positive yardage gained which is why defensive holding costs you a first-down. It's the counter balance to what it is on the other side. It's not, it's treated almost entirely the same way.

It's a pretty obvious point. You like to defend the status quo simply because it is the status quo. If the status quo was different and extreme, would you still defend it? If so, why? And if not, what is different?
    Has nothing to do with the status quo, in fact I'm all about changing the status quo whenever possible, but you don't just do that without a legitimate reason. There hasn't been one presented yet. The status quo isn't different or extreme so the what if hyperbole scenario you're trying to come up with has no relevance.

Because the penalty is too harsh for the infraction, and indeed is harsher on the defense then the offense for the same infraction. The NFL changes the rules all the time when they find that a rule is too harsh, too lenient, or too confusing to enforce.
    Why? Because you say it is? You have yet to point one actual reason on how to quantify "harshness" other than your interpretation. They also change it as the game changes and evolves or as new scenarios emerge. None of those really give credence to a rule being changes because you think it should without some of kind of legitimate measurement.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The offensive holding is a great analogy, Illumy...If defensive holding is so egregious that it requires 'double-dipping' (yardage and a first down awarded) maybe the offense should be penalized yardage and loss of down when that's called also.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What was that call that Watkins wasn't out of bounds on the final play?