Thread: The headsets

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The headsets

I noticed Tyrod Taylor complaining to the sidelines that he couldn't hear the playcall a few times last night. Most notably while they were trying to hurry down the field to tie the game.

This is beyond ridiculous to the point where it needs to cost someone his job. We've had multiple games where the headsets failed in key moments either causing huge delays in crucial situations or wasting timeouts. Fix the goddamn headset radios or come up with a backup plan. You could start with the method that's been used my nearly every HS team in the history of ever and have the coach tell a substitute to come on the field and call the play in the huddle. Or give Taylor a base set of playcalls he can work from if the call isn't in by the 20 second mark. Or literally anything else then having him flap his arms at the sideline helplessly.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

2. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (11-24-2015),Victor7 (11-24-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 24,442 Times in 14,159 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The headsets

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    I noticed Tyrod Taylor complaining to the sidelines that he couldn't hear the playcall a few times last night. Most notably while they were trying to hurry down the field to tie the game.

This is beyond ridiculous to the point where it needs to cost someone his job. We've had multiple games where the headsets failed in key moments either causing huge delays in crucial situations or wasting timeouts. Fix the goddamn headset radios or come up with a backup plan. You could start with the method that's been used my nearly every HS team in the history of ever and have the coach tell a substitute to come on the field and call the play in the huddle. Or give Taylor a base set of playcalls he can work from if the call isn't in by the 20 second mark. Or literally anything else then having him flap his arms at the sideline helplessly.
    Agreed, the headset issue is absolutely ridiculous and the league needs to address it asap. However, how you don't have a backup wrist band or way to signal the play in from the sideline is a little ridiculous.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Do you remember the good old days when Jim Kelly could engineer a winning drive in Foxboro without the benefit of headsets? Good times.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

5. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (11-24-2015),BillsImpossible (11-24-2015),El Guapo (11-29-2015),Ingtar33 (11-24-2015),Later (11-24-2015),Lone Stranger (11-24-2015),Victor7 (11-24-2015),YardRat (11-24-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Bermuda Triangle of NFL Stadiums.

7. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (11-24-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How hard is it to hand signal a number in?

Taylor, and every other QB, have full lists of plays on their wrist band.

Signal in the number, Taylor looks at his wrist and calls that play.

Or Taylor can't hear them, has some football IQ, and just calls a play he thinks will work in the current situation based off his wristband. Hell, they run shotgun HB sweep enough, so he could just call that with no problem.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Your rinning the 2 min drill. You shouldnt be looking at the sideline for a play anyway.

10. Post thanked by:

Victor7 (11-24-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 574 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Its been going on the whole year. I said so in another thread. Its the year 2015. Technology is insane. Why is it that the average person can do a billion things on a mobile phone while taking a **** yet this professional sports franchise can't seem to be able to fix a ****ing head set issue. Unforgivable

Equally unforgivable is the fact that knowing this has happened before they have no back up plan in place. Why on earth doesn't Taylor have a small set of 4-6 plays to call on 2 minute situations? Why are they going on a play by play basis there when time is off the essence. Its so amateur. I just can imagine a Belichick, or Cowher or Reid coached team being this bush league.
    Last edited by Victor7; 11-24-2015 at 04:06 PM.

12. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (11-24-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,337 Times in 2,075 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I had some amazing free Wifi at the Ralph. great bandwidth, heck i was watching highlights of other games when the bengals were kicking our butts. How is it possible that an NFL stadium has good enough wifi with enough bandwidth for 70k people yet we have headset issues?

Insane.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,305 Times in 3,795 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Google Glass is the answer, and it would be awesome.

15. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (11-24-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 574 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If not for the fact that we've had the issue before the conspiracy theorist in me would say the Pats jammed the signal. I mean would anyone put it past them? Its happened before too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This is on Roman, he has to have a system in place, it's happened way too many times this season, inexcusable to not have a backup plan.

18. Post thanked by:

Victor7 (11-25-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Ground control to Major Tom.

It's easy to say the Bills should have a few plays designed for situations when the headsets go out.

Do you know how many freaking situations that involves? Probably 100 or more.

How can 5 or 6 designed plays match the situation? Luck?

They obviously do have designed plays for when the headsets go out, and they didn't work very well last night because the call is likely to have nothing to do with the situation on defense.

The NFL issues the headsets to each team.

They blame the headset problem on batteries.