X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DesertFox24
    • Jul 2005

Whaley interview

I admit I did not listen to interview just read statements.

I think he has some valid points and if you take away the 16 year drought. I don't think fans would be as upset.

Ryan has now had two years of defense outside of the top 10 in 12 years this year and another where he was 11. Like he said history shows a good def coach. So I think it is fair to give one more year. We already know this is his best off in his head coaching career so that is good.

Whaley also said for a team with new ownership new coach new acheme and new starting qb they have some things to build off of and even though they are not happy they are optimistic if Taylor takes next step and they upgrade def that they will be coMpetitive.

Will be interesting to watch at least
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Whaley interview

He spoke the company line.

Plus he has little choice but to go heavy on D front 7 help during this off-season. It's the only way they can improve, with a tougher schedule coming up on paper.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Bill Cody
      • Sep 2004

If you take away my 16 year drought I'm Brad Pitt so I guess I have some good points too

Comment

• sdbillsfan2
        • Apr 2005

I hear some many points both pro and con re: Rex.
        And I always end up with the same question . If he is so talented , why did the Jets fire him in the first place. I look back on his body of work in NY and to be honest , Im not impressed. I don't recall the Bills having any more trouble with t h e Jets then any one else. As a matter of fact I believe we spanked the snot out of Rex last year.
        I dont expect anything to change around here except my enthusiasm . My confidence that the so called brain trust at OBD will ever get it right has been sucked right out of me. So as far as anything Doug Whaley or Rex are concerned , I think their covering their own Asses first.

" I'd try to see things from your point of view but..........there's only room up your a** for one head ! "

Comment

• Swiper
          • Sep 2010

His body of work in NY sucked. He took a play-off team that Mike Tannenbaum assembled down to 4-12. He is a garbage head coach. In his idiot father's mold.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Too bad they wouldn't have to upgrade the D if they didn't **** it up to begin with.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Swiper
              • Sep 2010

He took a borderline play-off Bills 2014 team right down into the toilet. If that 2014 team had Taylor, they were in the play-offs. Hackett and all.

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                He took a borderline play-off Bills 2014 team right down into the toilet. If that 2014 team had Taylor, they were in the play-offs. Hackett and all.
                Add Taylor. Add Roman. Add Incognito, Miller and one more offensive lineman. Keep Schwartz, Chandler and FJax. Playoffs. It really should have been that easy.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                  Add Taylor. Add Roman. Add Incognito, Miller and one more offensive lineman. Keep Schwartz, Chandler and FJax. Playoffs. It really should have been that easy.
                  So we're allowed to cherry pick now? What makes you assume that Schwartz would hire Roman or want to sign Taylor? An offense without those two isn't making the playoffs no matter how good the defense was.

It's not like this team is just overflowing with talent. They have real deficiencies on both sides of the ball and have for a while. Schwartz scheme, to his credit, did a great job covering up those issues, but there are still problems at LB and at both safety positions even if Schwartz stays.

For example: Lawson, who was really good this year, wasn't very good in Schwartz system. Bradham who was injured and not a great fit in Ryan's system, was a perfect fit for Schwartz. So no matter who stays as coach you still have issues at LB, and not to mention a lack of quality depth at basically every position but CB. Scheme will only win out for so long, especially when injuries start hitting.
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Swiper
                    • Sep 2010

Lawson is a very good player. He was very good under Pettine. He was very good this year. Schwartz did not have him on the field as much. One small thing I didn't like about Schwartz's time here. But outside of that, there is VERY LITTLE one can criticize him about while he was in Buffalo.

He would have been a very good head coach here. He just needed a good OC. A veteran guy.

Far better than the verbose Rex Ryan.

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                      So we're allowed to cherry pick now? What makes you assume that Schwartz would hire Roman or want to sign Taylor? An offense without those two isn't making the playoffs no matter how good the defense was.

It's not like this team is just overflowing with talent. They have real deficiencies on both sides of the ball and have for a while. Schwartz scheme, to his credit, did a great job covering up those issues, but there are still problems at LB and at both safety positions even if Schwartz stays.

For example: Lawson, who was really good this year, wasn't very good in Schwartz system. Bradham who was injured and not a great fit in Ryan's system, was a perfect fit for Schwartz. So no matter who stays as coach you still have issues at LB, and not to mention a lack of quality depth at basically every position but CB. Scheme will only win out for so long, especially when injuries start hitting.
                      There were zero problems with LBer under Schwartz...Bradham fit the wide 9 like a glove, and played like it. Brown had a real nice season. The only issue at LBer would have been replacing Spikes (not easy, granted) or simply re-signing him (which probably would have been done under Schwartz). Same with safety...the only player that needed to be replaced would have been Searcy, which could have been done with Graham, Rambo or a draft pick FA.

Lawson was not good under Schwartz...I won't argue that one bit. He was under Pettine, and Wrecks' defense. Lawson fits those guys, he didn't Schwartz.

The only issues on D would have been MLB and S, and that wouldn't have been nearly as difficult of a 'fix' that we face now, with almost an entire front seven that doesn't fit Wrecks' defense.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

There were zero problems with LBer under Schwartz...Bradham fit the wide 9 like a glove, and played like it. Brown had a real nice season. The only issue at LBer would have been replacing Spikes (not easy, granted) or simply re-signing him (which probably would have been done under Schwartz). Same with safety...the only player that needed to be replaced would have been Searcy, which could have been done with Graham, Rambo or a draft pick FA.

Lawson was not good under Schwartz...I won't argue that one bit. He was under Pettine, and Wrecks' defense. Lawson fits those guys, he didn't Schwartz.

The only issues on D would have been MLB and S, and that wouldn't have been nearly as difficult of a 'fix' that we face now, with almost an entire front seven that doesn't fit Wrecks' defense.
                        Please...you had arguably the most dominant DL in the NFL. You think that was just going to last forever? You're taking a very narrow view of what the defense was, because there absolutely were issues at LB.

Why resign Spikes exactly? Brown plays the same position and you still have a hole at WLB in that scheme.

I'm actually talking about both SS and FS, as neither Williams nor insert whatever random name you want here, are actually very good or long-term solutions.

No disagreement about Lawson at all, hence the hole at WLB.

The defense now needs an OLB, two DE's, a NT, and two safeties. Compared to the WLB (not MLB), both safeties, DT, and DE that you would need in Schwartz scheme heading into next year.
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Mace
                          Haha...yeah you think so ?
                          • Mar 2013

Too bad they wouldn't have to upgrade the D if they didn't **** it up to begin with.
                          Yeah. I guess to me, even if you take away the 16 year drought and pretend you're looking at a different team (which misses the whole point of striving to please the fan base with success anyway), I see a team that went backwards from one year to the next, made a liability out of a strong point, lost discipline, and played with more individual emotion for their own concerns than emotion for the success of the team, lost leadership, still has to rebuild elements of the o-line, etc, and went from 9-7 and on the edge to wherever we end up, well, I'd still consider it not progress.

Comment

• Mace
                            Haha...yeah you think so ?
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                            You think that was just going to last forever?
                            Should have gotten another couple years out of it at least. I mean nothing lasts forever but the whole point of it is making it last as long as it can.

I think they probably needed an LB and a safety before replenishing long term through the draft, and now need an LB (maybe 2 depending on what you consider Lawson on the wrong side of 30), a safety, and two DL really quick.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                              Peterman Sucks!
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                              Taylor will never lead any team to the playoffs.

He is unable to consistently do the little things well that a QB must do to succeed in this league.

Comment

Working...
                              X