• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe Fo Sho
    Making Spirits Bright
    • Mar 2006

Re: Cam Newton & Luke Keachly

Originally posted by Mike View Post
    Laughing at other teams is bit rediculous don't you think?

Right now the Bills are the laughingstock of the century
    Only playoff less team of last 16 years

- In a parity league with FA and Salery Cap this is unheard of -
    How can all of those teams you listed have a better future than the Bills? The Colts, Falcons, Raiders, Dolphins, Lions, Titans, 49ers, and Rams all won meaningless games this year, thus crippling their long term future like you stated when you started this thread. Or does that logic only apply to the Bills?

Comment

• Mike
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
      How can all of those teams you listed have a better future than the Bills? The Colts, Falcons, Raiders, Dolphins, Lions, Titans, 49ers, and Rams all won meaningless games this year, thus crippling their long term future like you stated when you started this thread. Or does that logic only apply to the Bills?
      You like putting words in my mouth than knocking them down...

You lost all credibility when you said your unwilling to lose 1 meaningless game for a HOF QB.

You litteraly wouldn't trade that week 17 win vs Jets for Aaron Rodgers.
      Last edited by Mike; 01-31-2016, 04:07 PM.
      Please Make Sense

Comment

• Mace
        Haha...yeah you think so ?
        • Mar 2013

No One is talking about a tank job.

If a team is eliminated from playoffs in week 14 is it better to win last 2 meaningless games or get better draft picks?
        Well, isn't losing on purpose "tanking" ? I mean if you want to call it "losing on purpose" instead, that's fine, but it's the same thing.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

You lost all credibility when you said your unwilling to lose 1 meaningless game for a HOF QB.

We didn't even have a first round pick in 2005, it was traded to Dallas the year prior to move back into the first to grab JP Losman.

The prior year, '04, was the year the team lost to Pittsburgh's JV's and cost them a playoff spot.

We 'literally' didn't have a realistic shot at drafting AR once the trade for JP was consummated.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mike
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Mace View Post
            Well, isn't losing on purpose "tanking" ? I mean if you want to call it "losing on purpose" instead, that's fine, but it's the same thing.
            Tanking is what the Sabres have been doing last few seasons and what they did to draft Eichel
            It was blatant and a strategy from the start of the season.

Losing meaningless games isn't the same thing because you fought for it and ended up getting eliminated from
            playoff contention in say week 14.

That means your last 3 weeks are as good as exhibition games, as meaningful as the preseason.

I don't know about you, but I don't lose sleep when bills lose in the preseason.

Sometimes you have to take a step back to take 3 steps forward
            Last edited by Mike; 01-31-2016, 04:51 PM.
            Please Make Sense

Comment

• Mike
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
              We didn't even have a first round pick in 2005, it was traded to Dallas the year prior to move back into the first to grab JP Losman.

The prior year, '04, was the year the team lost to Pittsburgh's JV's and cost them a playoff spot.

We 'literally' didn't have a realistic shot at drafting AR once the trade for JP was consummated.
              I alluded to earlier conversation which I
              asked him point blank,
              'would you trade records with 2012 Colts (4 wins) and instead have Luck'?. He said NO under no circumstances would he lose even 1 meaningless game even if it meant getting a Dan Marino, an Elway, or Rodgers or any HOF QB.

Would you trade 4 losses for Luck?
              Please Make Sense

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

I alluded to earlier conversation which I
                asked him point blank,
                'would you trade records with 2012 Colts (4 wins) and instead have Luck'?. He said NO under no circumstances would he lose even 1 meaningless game even if it meant getting a Dan Marino, an Elway, or Rodgers or any HOF QB.

Would you trade 4 losses for Luck?
                I don't care about your earlier comment, the one I quoted was factually incorrect on more than one point.

Would you trade any amount of losses for any QB this season?

Hindsight is 20-20, let's have a little test of your ability to predict the future, and scouting skills.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• Mike
                  • Jan 2009

I don't care about your earlier comment, the one I quoted was factually incorrect on more than one point.

Would you trade any amount of losses for any QB this season?

Hindsight is 20-20, let's have a little test of your ability to predict the future, and scouting skills.
                  Your running away from the question

Would you trade 1 Meaningless loss for Aaron Rodgers?

PS: in case you didn't realize this is a hypothetical and not a factual situation

Would you?
                  Please Make Sense

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                    • Sep 2012

It's NOT a hindsight argument. It's simple logic. The Benefit of winning meaningless games doesn't yield a benefit but *can yield a Loss. You might lose one of your top players to injury, you probably will cost yourself draft position, etc.
                    It absolutely is a hindsight argument. That's why I brought up Sanchez and Bradford and why you keep asking whether someone would "trade one win for Aaron Rodgers." You aren't moaning that we won too many games to draft Sanchez because you know that he busted and Newton didn't.

In some Years it makes MORE sense to Lose meaningless games than other seasons. Just ask the Colts & the Sabres.
                    - other years it makes less sense. Once a Generation Prospects like Luck, Manning, McDavid, Crosby, etc... Offer great Upside at low cost
                    So who are the once in a generation, can't miss QBs in this draft? Newton and Rodgers certainly weren't considered that coming out. Rodgers fell to the end of the first and Newton was one of the most contentious first overall picks ever.

No one is talking about purposefully tanking a season. After a team is eliminated from playoffs the remainder of their games have as much importance as a preseason game. Would you argue that we win all of our preseason games if it cost us something like draft position?
                    You are throwing up examples of situations where we weren't eliminated from the playoffs yet. The Bills were 4-4 at the halfway mark in 2003. You want us to pack it in at .500?

if you could go back would you prefer the Bills go 1-7 at end or 2-6?
                    if your a Chragers fan, 1 game - in a lost season- was the difference between Manning & Leaf
                    = Your Take Away here is that Odds Matter and that its in your advantage to stack the odds in your favor as much as possible
                    If you are a Chargers fan, you also had Drew Brees in the building for a 2nd rounder and still got nearly Hall of Fame play for a decade from Rivers.

In many ways it's the same thing. Your playing a cost benefit analysis that the *risk of injury alone isn't worth the benefit of a meaningless win.
                    The benefit is direct and immediate - a healthy team going into the playoffs.

Your argument is that of a passionate fan trying to win every last inch... As if it means something.

My argument is of a fan who enjoys watching my team win football games. Knocking our division rival out of the playoffs was sweet. You are willing to trade that for the maybe marginally higher chance of getting a QB who might be good, or might be a bust. How many wins would you trade to get EJ Manuel?

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

Your running away from the question

Would you trade 1 Meaningless loss for Aaron Rodgers?

PS: in case you didn't realize this is a hypothetical and not a factual situation

Would you?
                      You're asking a bull**** question, one meaningless loss would not have garnered an opportunity for the Bills to draft Rodgers. The real question is who would you intentionally lose for in order to draft them this year?
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• Mace
                        Haha...yeah you think so ?
                        • Mar 2013

Tanking is what the Sabres have been doing last few seasons and what they did to draft Eichel
                        It was blatant and a strategy from the start of the season.

Losing meaningless games isn't the same thing because you fought for it and ended up getting eliminated from
                        playoff contention in say week 14.

That means your last 3 weeks are as good as exhibition games, as meaningful as the preseason.

I don't know about you, but I don't lose sleep when bills lose in the preseason.

Sometimes you have to take a step back to take 3 steps forward
                        Tanking is losing on purpose. Can be a season, a game, a half, a final play. So how could I feel bad about them winning and not losing on purpose ? It's just my mindset. Cheating is cheating.

Sports would become a farce with multiple teams trying not to win and playing one another. The preseason is the preseason.

Sometimes you take 3 steps back and don't go forward. Edmonton, Cleveland, and they aren't even on purpose. Is that how you do your job ? Fail, to succeed ? Make mistakes so HR gives you better hires because your dept is woeful ? Boast about it to peers, my dept sucked so bad we got the best college kid ! Oh, I think I'll misuse a bunch of tools because maybe they'll get me better ones.

So the better part of the league tanks the last few weeks and makes them preseason games. Oh that makes a lot of sense. Or do you mean only us because we're special ? What if other teams lose better on purpose, we need try harder ?

Come on.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                          Making Spirits Bright
                          • Mar 2006

I 'literally' never said that. It's 'literally' a stupid thing to ask somebody, as I doubt you'd let anyone use your magic time machine to go back and do that. Maybe you 'literally' don't understand what I'm saying.

You could have just said that your logic only applies to the Bills.

You never answered my question as to who you're trying to convince to lose these games and why you're trying to convince them.

Comment

• Mike
                            • Jan 2009

You're asking a bull**** question, one meaningless loss would not have garnered an opportunity for the Bills to draft Rodgers. The real question is who would you intentionally lose for in order to draft them this year?
                            You need to look up the word 'hypothetical'.

In a hypothetical situation would you throw a few meaningless games for Aaron Rodgers?
                            Please Make Sense

Comment

• Mike
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
                              I 'literally' never said that. It's 'literally' a stupid thing to ask somebody, as I doubt you'd let anyone use your magic time machine to go back and do that. Maybe you 'literally' don't understand what I'm saying.

You could have just said that your logic only applies to the Bills.

You never answered my question as to who you're trying to convince to lose these games and why you're trying to convince them.
                              You did say it.
                              You said that:
                              Knowing what you know today, you would not trade records with the Colts and have Luck on your team. You said you would never do it.... Never trade a few meaningless wins for Luck
                              Please Make Sense

Comment

• Mike
                                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                                Tanking is losing on purpose. Can be a season, a game, a half, a final play. So how could I feel bad about them winning and not losing on purpose ? It's just my mindset. Cheating is cheating.

Sports would become a farce with multiple teams trying not to win and playing one another. The preseason is the preseason.

Sometimes you take 3 steps back and don't go forward. Edmonton, Cleveland, and they aren't even on purpose. Is that how you do your job ? Fail, to succeed ? Make mistakes so HR gives you better hires because your dept is woeful ? Boast about it to peers, my dept sucked so bad we got the best college kid ! Oh, I think I'll misuse a bunch of tools because maybe they'll get me better ones.

So the better part of the league tanks the last few weeks and makes them preseason games. Oh that makes a lot of sense. Or do you mean only us because we're special ? What if other teams lose better on purpose, we need try harder ?

Come on.
                                Your arguing from the point of view of 'integrity of the game'
                                but you have to remember this game is Not about integrity it's about Money & winning

How does the NFL have integrity when players take PEDs, when teams like the Pats cheat, etc?

How does the NHL have integrity when teams like Your Sabres throw entire Seasons?

You have to decide what you want more: integrity or a championship and if it's the former.... Don't look for it in football it's not here.
                                Please Make Sense

Comment

Working...
                                X