Thread: Is Cam Newton Overrated?

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Is Cam Newton Overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by Victor7 View Post
    When did Lombardi say that ??

I bet it wasn't after an entire year of having "fun" at the behest of your rivals and proclaiming yourself "something they've never seen" or better yet after pussying out on a fumble that all but sealed your team's fate.

Try harder.
    Jesus. Just can't admit you were wrong, can you?
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Only brought it up because you brought up the post game pic with Manning. Its irrelevant. This is about the press conference
    I don't care what it's about. Your sentence doesn't parse.

Possibly. Then again Marino probably thought so too. Its also irrelevant. Fact is he pouted like a child after "styling" it all year long. Makes him look like a little whinny *****.
    Lot's of guys pout after losing the Super Bowl. Only one gets crucified for it.

So he's gracious while on the field with PM, but because he didn't handle the presser to your satisfaction that makes him a whiny ***** in your eyes?

Do you understand the concept of cherry picking?
    Last edited by gebobs; 02-15-2016 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 574 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
    Way to cut and edit my post to better fit your answer. Never doubted he said it. I asked for the circumstances.

Jesus. Just can't admit you were wrong, can you?
    How am I wrong ?? Did he or did he not act like a little **** ??

He did. Point made. No wrong. I don't care if he quoted Jesus Christ.

4. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (02-15-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I don't care what it's about. Your sentence doesn't parse.
    You don't understand much then. You tried to defend Cam by showing him being cool to Manning post game. I told you nobody in the media or elsewhere had said anything about that. All the beef is about his press conference. Thus rendering your Cam defense invalid to the point being made.

Lot's of guys pout after losing the Super Bowl. Only one gets crucified for it.
    I'm sure they do. And they should get crucified. This isn't about them. This is about Cam

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Way to cut and edit my post to better fit your answer. Never doubted he said it. I asked for the circumstances.
    I didn't do a damn thing to your post. I quoted it. Nothing more.

How am I wrong ?? Did he or did he not act like a little **** ??

He did. Point made. No wrong. I don't care if he quoted Jesus Christ.
    You quoted him quoting Lombardi and said "Way to double down on the stupid Cam. Yet another wasted opportunity to show maturity and intelligence down the drain."

How does that quote indicate a lack of maturity or intelligence? It doesn't.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I didn't do a damn thing to your post. I quoted it. Nothing more.
    Are you blind ? just stupid ? or maybe you don't know how to use the quote function ?

This is my full post

"When did Lombardi say that ??

I bet it wasn't after an entire year of having "fun" at the behest of your rivals and proclaiming yourself "something they've never seen" or better yet after pussying out on a fumble that all but sealed your team's fate.

Try harder."

Its right there on page 5 of the thread. Unedited.

You quoted him quoting Lombardi and said "Way to double down on the stupid Cam. Yet another wasted opportunity to show maturity and intelligence down the drain."

How does that quote indicate a lack of maturity or intelligence? It doesn't.
    Ok bud.

Guess me and the entire world saying he was wrong and an immature child are wrong. You are correct. He acted like an honorable man. A class act. Hope millions of kids saw that and learn from the humble Cam.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You don't understand much then. You tried to defend Cam by showing him being cool to Manning post game. I told you nobody in the media or elsewhere had said anything about that. All the beef is about his press conference. Thus rendering your Cam defense invalid to the point being made.
    Wrong. His meeting on the field was noteworthy because it was not reported in the press the next day with all the hue and cry going up about his press conference. Since then, it has been noted, not least of all by Manning, who said :

He couldn't have been nicer to me. He was extremely humble. He'll be back in that game, I can promise you. I've been on that side of it. It is tough, it is not an easy pill to swallow. But he was very nice to me and I really appreciated that.
    I'm sure they do. And they should get crucified. This isn't about them. This is about Cam.
    Right. No one take heat like he does. No one. Not the great Peyton Manning, for sure, who wouldn't even shake Brees's hand. It was forgotten within days while Cam's terse press conference (the horrors!), even after showing perfect sportsmanship with the team that beat him immediately after the game, is still being talked about by people like you.

Regarding this thread, the entire thread,...

* No he's not overrated. Buffalo would love to have a quarterback with half his talent.

* Did his presser indicate that he's a whiny little *****? No. The presser showed some immaturity perhaps, but that's hardly unexpected after one loses the Super Bowl. Lot's of guys find their maturity in question in that position. The guy is only 26. You can expect him to get better with it as he will be in that position, win or lose, a lot of times over the next 15 years or so. Calling him a "whiny little *****" just shows your emotional investment in the debate.

* What about him not diving for the fumble? Yeah, that was not cool. He didn't have much chance of recovering it, but you gotta give it that old college try, right? If the Panthers want to give up on him over that (they don't), I'm sure there would be 31 other teams ready to make him their starter, including New England.

And just so you know, I was not rooting for Cam. I am only defending him inasmuch as I find the criticism to be over the top.

I wasn't even going to watch it but my wife wanted to. In the end, I relented and ended up rooting for the AFC Broncos.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Wrong. His meeting on the field was noteworthy because it was not reported in the press the next day with all the hue and cry going up about his press conference. Since then, it has been noted, not least of all by Manning, who said :

Right. No one take heat like he does. No one. Not the great Peyton Manning, for sure, who wouldn't even shake Brees's hand. It was forgotten within days while Cam's terse press conference (the horrors!), even after showing perfect sportsmanship with the team that beat him immediately after the game, is still being talked about by people like you.

Regarding this thread, the entire thread,...

* No he's not overrated. Buffalo would love to have a quarterback with half his talent.

* Did his presser indicate that he's a whiny little *****? No. The presser showed some immaturity perhaps, but that's hardly unexpected after one loses the Super Bowl. Lot's of guys find their maturity in question in that position. The guy is only 26. You can expect him to get better with it as he will be in that position, win or lose, a lot of times over the next 15 years or so. Calling him a "whiny little *****" just shows your emotional investment in the debate.

* What about him not diving for the fumble? Yeah, that was not cool. He didn't have much chance of recovering it, but you gotta give it that old college try, right? If the Panthers want to give up on him over that (they don't), I'm sure there would be 31 other teams ready to make him their starter, including New England.

And just so you know, I was not rooting for Cam. I am only defending him inasmuch as I find the criticism to be over the top.
    I don't know what to tell you gebobs. Everything you just wrote is irrelevant to the press conference thing. I haven't called him overrated. I haven't said anything other than he was an immature kid on the press conference. That is all I'm saying. I am right about that. All that other stuff is for another debate/thread.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Are you blind ? just stupid ? or maybe you don't know how to use the quote function ?
    Are you stupid or do you not understand the difference between quoting and "cutting and editing".

This is my full post
    And I quoted each word, without a single edit.

Guess me and the entire world saying he was wrong and an immature child are wrong.
    I don't care or really believe what you think the "rest of the world" believes. This is about your calling out his maturty and intelligence based on the Lombardi quote.

You are correct. He acted like an honorable man.
    Peyton agrees.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Are you stupid or do you not understand the difference between quoting and "cutting and editing".

And I quoted each word, without a single edit.
    Lol

You edited it. For sure. Or did the rest of my post just happen to not show up on your quote?

Ok man, whatever you say. Guess that everything I wrote after the 1st line just so happened to be left out by accident.

You can't possibly be this inept.

I don't care or really believe what you think the "rest of the world" believes. This is about your calling out his maturty and intelligence based on the Lombardi quote.
    Never called out his intelligence. Just his immaturity. The full ****** thing is an obvious joke.

You get dumber by the post man. Just let it go.

Peyton agrees.
    Yeah, cool. Irrelevant. Also, ever heard of being politically correct ?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I don't know what to tell you gebobs. Everything you just wrote is irrelevant to the press conference thing.
    All of it? Obviously you didn't bother to read my post. At any rate, your attempt to limit the discussion to just the presser is silly cherry picking. There's no reason to limit the discussion to the presser unless contrary evidence is so dissonant to your firmly held belief that Cam is a "whiny *****".

I haven't called him overrated. I haven't said anything other than he was an immature kid on the press conference. That is all I'm saying. I am right about that. All that other stuff is for another debate/thread.
    Thus I said, "Regarding this thread, the entire thread,..." You know, from the beginning, not just your posts.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

All of it? Obviously you didn't bother to read my post. At any rate, your attempt to limit the discussion to just the presser is silly cherry picking. There's no reason to limit the discussion to the presser unless contrary evidence is so dissonant to your firmly held belief that Cam is a "whiny *****".

Thus I said, "Regarding this thread, the entire thread,..." You know, from the beginning, not just your posts.
    Cherry picking ??

Isn't that what you did with he Lombardi quote ?? .... you "cherry picked" the part that said "When did Lombardi say that" to post the pic making it look like I doubted it which I never did.

Lets just agree to disagree man.

I think he acted like an immature ***** (so does 90% of the people who saw it). There is however a faction of people who think he didn't or that it was ok given the circumstances. If you are part of that small percentage fine. To each their own.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You edited it. For sure. Or did the rest of my post just happen to not show up on your quote?

Ok man, whatever you say. Guess that everything I wrote after the 1st line just so happened to be left out by accident.
    You may want to go back and see my post. Every word from your post is quoted and not a single one was edited. None. Zip. Nada. Everything after the first line is quoted directly below the meme.

Untitled.jpg

You can't possibly be this inept.
    Indeed.

Never called out his intelligence. Just his immaturity. The full ****** thing is an obvious joke.
    Allow me to quote: "Way to double down on the stupid Cam. Yet another wasted opportunity to show maturity and intelligence down the drain.

Yeah, cool. Irrelevant. Also, ever heard of being politically correct ?
    Is that what you really think? Peyton is just being politically correct? In private he's saying that Cam is a "whiny *****" like you?
    Last edited by gebobs; 02-15-2016 at 09:55 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Cherry picking ??

Isn't that what you did with he Lombardi quote ?? .... you "cherry picked" the part that said "When did Lombardi say that" to post the pic making it look like I doubted it which I never did.
    OK...so I made a mistake. You knew that Lombardi said it. You also claimed it indicated some lack of maturity and intelligence, but let's get past that.

Now can we get past the "you do it too"? We can all agree that his presser showed some measure of immaturity. Bad Cam! Mkay?

Now can we also agree that his demeanor on the field immediately after the game conversely showed some measure of maturity? How do we resolve that? Is it possible that maybe he's not the epitome of "whiny *****" that you think?

Of the two instances, in which is the immaturity less grievous? Would you have preferred he ignored the shake and coddled the media?

I think he acted like an immature ***** (so does 90% of the people who saw it).
    Stop making claims you can't possibly back up to bolster your position. It won't fly with me. And even if it did, argumentum ad populum is a logical fallacy of the worst sort.
    Last edited by gebobs; 02-15-2016 at 09:58 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

OK...so I made a mistake. You knew that Lombardi said it. You also claimed it indicated some lack of maturity and intelligence, but let's get past that.

Now can we get past the "you do it too"? We can all agree that his presser showed some measure of immaturity. Bad Cam! Mkay?

Now can we also agree that his demeanor on the field immediately after the game conversely showed some measure of maturity? How do we resolve that? Is it possible that maybe he's not the epitome of "whiny *****" that you think?

Stop making claims you can't possibly back up to bolster your position. It won't fly with me. And even if it did, argumentum ad populum is a logical fallacy of the worst sort.
    Hey man. You may think its a fallacy, fine. But there's a reason most people think he was a very immature person in that presser whether you like it or not. Its because he acted exactly like that. For ****s sake man Deon Sanders one of the all time loudmouth, asshats, clowns of all time condemned him.

Like I said, agree to disagree. I just happen to be on the side of most people.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Hey man. You may think its a fallacy, fine. But there's a reason most people think he was a very immature person in that presser whether you like it or not. Its because he acted exactly like that. For ****s sake man Deon Sanders one of the all time loudmouth, asshats, clowns of all time condemned him.
    For the press conference.

I G E T I T. How many times do I have to repeat it? Big effing deal. He blew a presser. Oh my god! What a heinous piece of dog crap!

Like I said, agree to disagree. I just happen to be on the side of most people.
    Let me ask you again. Would you have preferred that he didn't shake hands after the game and congratulate a bunch of the Broncos including Peyton Manning and then gone in and give a super presser? I think of the two, blowing off the presser is far less grievous. I mean really. The presser is just another stupid show. The shake after the game is the truer measure of sportsmanship of the two.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

For the press conference.

I G E T I T. How many times do I have to repeat it? Big effing deal. He blew a presser. Oh my god! What a heinous piece of dog crap!

Let me ask you again. Would you have preferred that he didn't shake hands after the game and congratulate a bunch of the Broncos including Peyton Manning and then gone in and give a super presser? I think of the two, blowing off the presser is far less grievous. I mean really. The presser is just another stupid show. The shake after the game is the truer measure of sportsmanship of the two.
    I agree. It's far less grievous that way than your other scenario. This all would also be less of an issue if he wasn't such a "showman" most other time. But he has to know that pressers are part of the deal, not just when you win.
    Last edited by Victor7; 02-15-2016 at 10:22 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

the guy just lost a superbowl and while at his presser he could hear one of the bronco's d-back doing a presser, I don't no why everyone is picking him apart because he could have easily done what Lynch or Belicheck do and not speak at all. Did he sound immature? yes did he act childish? yes but he still is one of the elite QB's in the league, he hardly had any wr's to throw too yet still got them to the superbowl.

20. Post thanked by:

gebobs (02-15-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mdcas22 View Post
    the guy just lost a superbowl and while at his presser he could hear one of the bronco's d-back doing a presser, I don't no why everyone is picking him apart because he could have easily done what Lynch or Belicheck do and not speak at all. Did he sound immature? yes did he act childish? yes but he still is one of the elite QB's in the league, he hardly had any wr's to throw too yet still got them to the superbowl.
    To me, it's a question of handling adversity.

If you go back in the thread, I was saying some of the same things people are saying now BEFORE the presser even happened...before the game ever happened. Historically, the guy gets too up when things go his way, and too down when they don't...at least from where I'm sitting. There is the bi-polar element IMO.

Again, if he were my QB, I'd prefer it if he were more even-keeled. I'm sure that confidence and positive thinking play a part in his success (duh), but you can't expect everything to go your way all the time...I don't care who you are. Nobody should feel entitled to win a football game, ever.
    Last edited by feldspar; 02-15-2016 at 01:25 PM.