Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMG. The NFL going for title of "Biggest Douche Organization" EVER

Thanks
    Thanked 9,153 Times in 5,890 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

OMG. The NFL going for title of "Biggest Douche Organization" EVER

NFL won’t pay man who has most of Super Bowl I on tape

No full recording of the original broadcast of Super Bowl I exists because in the 1960s networks rarely saved their tapes. But one man owns what is believed to be the closest thing to a full recording, tapes his late father made of most of the game, minus commercials, some plays that came right after commercial breaks, halftime and some of the third quarter.

That man, Troy Haupt, asked the NFL for $1 million for his dad’s old tapes. The NFL replied that it would give him $30,000. When Haupt spurned that offer, the NFL stopped talking to Haupt entirely, other than to warn him that if he sells the tapes to a third party, he’ll be violating the league’s copyright and the NFL will go after him.

more...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...owl-i-on-tape/

So the guy owns what is the single almost complete broadcast copy of the first Super Bowl IN EXISTENCE... In what I think is a lowball... askes for a million and the NFL that made, what, 10 BILLION last year... says nope... 30k.

DOUCHE Douche Douche.

2. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (02-08-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,481 Times in 1,479 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: OMG. The NFL going for title of "Biggest Douche Organization" EVER

No full time refs, lowball the cheerleaders, no official ball handers, really a petty league with the millions and tax exclusions they have.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

4. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Seeing that this is a piece of history and one of a kind... you would think the 1 million was WAY low of an asking price... 30k? Really?

6. Post thanked by:

Mr. Cynical (02-03-2016)

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    NFL won’t pay man who has most of Super Bowl I on tape

No full recording of the original broadcast of Super Bowl I exists because in the 1960s networks rarely saved their tapes. But one man owns what is believed to be the closest thing to a full recording, tapes his late father made of most of the game, minus commercials, some plays that came right after commercial breaks, halftime and some of the third quarter.

That man, Troy Haupt, asked the NFL for $1 million for his dad’s old tapes. The NFL replied that it would give him $30,000. When Haupt spurned that offer, the NFL stopped talking to Haupt entirely, other than to warn him that if he sells the tapes to a third party, he’ll be violating the league’s copyright and the NFL will go after him.

more...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...owl-i-on-tape/

So the guy owns what is the single almost complete broadcast copy of the first Super Bowl IN EXISTENCE... In what I think is a lowball... askes for a million and the NFL that made, what, 10 BILLION last year... says nope... 30k.

DOUCHE Douche Douche.
    The NFL Network replayed Super Bowl 1 twice in the past few weeks. I believe they used what tape they had and a recorded radio broadcast(?). Did you watch it?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

it was a piece meal cut and past of the game. I didn't watch it. it is referenced in the article.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

it was a piece meal cut and past of the game.
    Right, which is kind of what this Haupt guy has. Only his version is better.

I didn't watch it. it is referenced in the article.
    I don't know anybody that watched it. I think that's why the NFL doesn't really care much about it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The haupt guy is missing a few plays after commercials aired but the commentary and play by play, for what he does have, are from the TV broadcast...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The haupt guy is missing a few plays after commercials aired but the commentary and play by play, for what he does have, are from the TV broadcast...
    Right, he clearly has the best recording of it, but I think he's missing almost half of the 3rd quarter.

If he had the game in its entirety, I think it would be a different story. I mean, what's the NFL going to do with the tape, play his portion of the game on NFL Network? They just did that, albeit a lesser recording, and nobody I know cared about it. I think it has sentimental value more than anything, and the NFL is not in that business.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,289 Times in 13,722 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Seriously? They'd make their money back in ad revenue on the first time they showed it on NFL Network. They could probably turn a profit if they sold it on DVD or iTunes.

13. Post thanked by:

Mr. Cynical (02-03-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Seriously? They'd make their money back in ad revenue on the first time they showed it on NFL Network. They could probably turn a profit if they sold it on DVD or iTunes.
    They'd make the same in ad revenue if they showed their "Top 10 People Named Steve" countdown, without shelling out $1 Million for the content that they already own.

You think they're going to be able to sell a DVD of 80% of Super Bowl I?

15. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (02-04-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 574 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

30 k !

lol

Now that is lowballing if I've ever seen it.

Maybe not give the guy a mill but seriously 30k ???

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    They'd make the same in ad revenue if they showed their "Top 10 People Named Steve" countdown, without shelling out $1 Million for the content that they already own.

You think they're going to be able to sell a DVD of 80% of Super Bowl I?
    If you just showed 80% of the game? No. Throw in interviews with the players that were involved, narration, etc, yes.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Victor7 View Post
    30 k !

lol

Now that is lowballing if I've ever seen it.

Maybe not give the guy a mill but seriously 30k ???
    Ha, yes $30k is absurd. They probably spent more than that discussing how low their low-ball offer to this guy should be.

19. Post thanked by:

Victor7 (02-03-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

$1 million is nothing to the league.

Imagine this: your friend who's an artist does a painting that you really like. It's the only one in the world. He says "You can have it for $10." You reach into your pocket fishing for change, find 3 pennies and say "I'll give you this."

It's a slap in the face.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If you just showed 80% of the game? No. Throw in interviews with the players that were involved, narration, etc, yes.
    You might be right, I don't know. I just know that I wouldn't buy it.

I wonder what the quality of the tape is. Not just the missing content, but the actual video quality. Television was pretty crappy back then, and I'm sure the video recording hardware just made it worse.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Imagine this: your friend who's an artist does a painting that you really like. It's the only one in the world. He says "You can have it for $10." You reach into your pocket fishing for change, find 3 pennies and say "I'll give you this."

It's a slap in the face.
    Well in this scenario, the painting was originally done by me and my friend just has the only picture of it. Him holding it hostage could be considered kind of mean. Plus I already have like a thousand other paintings that I made and like better. People are mostly interested in my most current paintings, anyway.

23. Post thanked by:

gebobs (02-03-2016)

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

1 million is chicken scratch for the NFL, but at the same time they don't want to set an example of being held hostage for it.

I think at the end of the day they'll work out a deal for 250K or something. It's still a nice payday for a tape found in the attic. It's not like the guy worked for it or anything.

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's a slap in the face.
    Let me play devil's advocate. You may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife. You may ask yourself, "How did I get here?" Wait, no. Wrong tack.

OK, so you have a beautiful house and a beautiful wife. Someone takes something of yours. Maybe it's not worth a lot, but it has some sentimental value, like your wedding album. They call you and ask you to pay $10,000 for it. The money is not an issue really. They are selling back to you what is rightfully yours.

Rather than bother to get the police involved, you offer the person $50. That's mighty nice of you. Why is everyone saying your offer is insulting?
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
    Let me play devil's advocate. You may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife. You may ask yourself, "How did I get here?" Wait, no. Wrong tack.

OK, so you have a beautiful house and a beautiful wife. Someone takes something of yours. Maybe it's not worth a lot, but it has some sentimental value, like your wedding album. They call you and ask you to pay $10,000 for it. The money is not an issue really. They are selling back to you what is rightfully yours.

Rather than bother to get the police involved, you offer the person $50. That's mighty nice of you. Why is everyone saying your offer is insulting?
    More like this...Say you LOOSE your wedding album... it was destroyed. Someone has a duplicate. Is that duplicate yours without cast? The initial broadcast was recorded over. The NFL had no copy of the telecast. it was gone. I think this bit of memorabilia is worth something to the guy being able to restore what was once destroyed.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

More like this...Say you LOOSE your wedding album... it was destroyed. Someone has a duplicate. Is that duplicate yours without cast? The initial broadcast was recorded over. The NFL had no copy of the telecast. it was gone. I think this bit of memorabilia is worth something to the guy being able to restore what was once destroyed.
    Do you want to remember your 1st wedding that badly when you're about to get married for a 50th time?

28. Post thanked by:

gebobs (02-03-2016)