Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The importance of Kyle Williams

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The importance of Kyle Williams

Meatball along with Fred Jackson (now gone) has been one of my favorite players in a long time. I always liked the way Kyle plays with his high motor and never give up attitute.

I came upon this article that shows how much he was missed on defense. http://buffalofambase.org/2016/02/05...kyle-williams/

I hate to read some of the posters on the several message boards I follow when they complain about Kyle not being a good player and he is bad against the run. If you ask me he is worth every penny he is going to make this year and he should be a player that the bills need to retain.

After reading the article I can definitely say that Kyle's injury affected our defense a lot more than what we thought. Check it out is a good read.

PS. I also read some other articles that are mentioned in the one above. There are some good ones like this one: http://cover1.net/news/2016/1/21/201...defensive-line
    Bills fan since the 90'S it all begin with tecmo super bowl...

2. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (02-05-2016),Lucidvizion (02-09-2016),Mace (02-05-2016),mightysimi (02-05-2016),YardRat (02-05-2016)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,489 Times in 9,186 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The importance of Kyle Williams

Quote Originally Posted by toto8 View Post
    Meatball along with Fred Jackson (now gone) has been one of my favorite players in a long time. I always liked the way Kyle plays with his high motor and never give up attitute.

I came upon this article that shows how much he was missed on defense. http://buffalofambase.org/2016/02/05...kyle-williams/

I hate to read some of the posters on the several message boards I follow when they complain about Kyle not being a good player and he is bad against the run. If you ask me he is worth every penny he is going to make this year and he should be a player that the bills need to retain.

After reading the article I can definitely say that Kyle's injury affected our defense a lot more than what we thought. Check it out is a good read.

PS. I also read some other articles that are mentioned in the one above. There are some good ones like this one: http://cover1.net/news/2016/1/21/201...defensive-line
    I would have thought Kyle would have been a great asset and valuable weapon to a defensive genius/innovator like Ryan, but I am still horrified remembering him dropping into coverage, and recalling the time they had dropped him into the flat to shadow Mariota in case he ran.

In most cases I'd say absolutely he is someone to retain, for his motor, gap shooting ability, snap count anticipation, and leadership, though I have to agree he's never been a good run defender, but I'm not real confident Ryan has a clue what to do with him, and would like to see him spend the end of his career with a team that can use him, and give him a chance at a Super Bowl.

I don't have a clue what Ryan expects out of the role Kyle plays and he's probably one of the few players I'd rather see move on just for his personal chances, without wanting to try and hang onto him to ruin the rest of his playing days.

4. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (02-08-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Mace

Read the second article.

Here is a quote from the article "A key cog in the "cold front" is veteran Kyle Williams. He may be more important to the defensive line unit than anyone else. As I have covered in the Linebacker study, through the first six games the defensive unit surrendered 87 rushing yards a game. After his injury, the defense was gashed for 121 yards a game. Dareus went from 5th in stop percentage (12.3%) when Kyle was in the lineup to 11th with 9.5%. According to Pro Football Focus (PFF), Stops constitute a "loss" for the offense therefore run stop percentage is the percentage of run defense snaps where the player made a stop. Mario's run stop percentage went from 4.3% to 1.7% once Kyle was out of the lineup, while Jerry's went up from 5.9% to 8.1%. The constant double teams of Dareus seemed to help Jerry more than others, primarily because he typically was lined up at Rush LB (play-making position)." He is a better run defender than everyone thinks.

I agree with you that the biggest fault of our defensive problems was Rex I was reading an article yesterday about coach Wade Phillips and how good coaches adjust their system to the players and not the other way around. It's a sad deal because I hate to see the defense getting rebuild once again, like many other posters have complained about the rebuilding process I am tired to be in rebuilding mode every year.

It seems like one year is the defense the other the offense and so on and on and on.
    Last edited by toto8; 02-05-2016 at 04:13 PM.

6. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-05-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Kyle Williams is perhaps one of the best 5th round draft picks the Bills ever made. But he's 32. And injured a lot recently. He was one of my favorite recent Bills. Right there behind FJax. But he ought to go the way of Peyton Manning soon. That is: out to pasture. That said, I'm certainly not against the Bills letting him prove me completely wrong next season. The line is better overall when he's in it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well he's been injured a couple of times but he's been a very reliable player out of 160 games played since he came to the league he has only missed 24 games and most of them in the 2011 season when he had the Achilles injury (missed 11) and this last season (missed 10) besides that he played then entire 2012 and 2013 season and missed 1 game in 2014.

I know he is old for NFL standards but I think he can still produce as long as he plays with Dareus and Hughes

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well he's been injured a couple of times but he's been a very reliable player out of 160 games played since he came to the league he has only missed 24 games and most of them in the 2011 season when he had the Achilles injury (missed 11) and this last season (missed 10) besides that he played then entire 2012 and 2013 season and missed 1 game in 2014.

I know he is old for NFL standards but I think he can still produce as long as he plays with Dareus and Hughes
    No one is going to disagree this defense is better with him in there.

But he has to prove his durability. If he does that, great. I am certainly a fan. But I am a skeptical one at this point. And I think Whaley has that spot high on his list of draft needs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 574 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The 1st article is very good

The 2nd one starts by saying the DLine was the most disappointing unit on defense. I stopped reading right there. It was the linebackers and its not even close. As a player if you wanna say Mario was the most disappointing I'm game, but the whole unit ? Certainly not worse than the middling linebacker unit we have.

As for Kyle. I think he needs to be back. He needs a chance to prove he's still worthy. He was hurt, he wasn't a little ***** or underperformed ala MW. Besides his leadership was sorely missed. Specially after Whaley's "brilliant" move of letting Jackson go.

Bring him back Rex. Your ass is already on thin ice with your underwhelming defense and buddy hires. Watch what happens if you can Kyle.

11. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-05-2016),Owen DeBoard (02-07-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think his injury this last season was more bad luck than anything else. If someone rolls on your knee like that is more likely that you will get injured it doesn't matter how strong you are. Don't you think?

13. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (02-05-2016),Victor7 (02-05-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Didn't somebody roll on his ankle in that achilles injury also?

15. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (02-08-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Victor7 View Post

The 2nd one starts by saying the DLine was the most disappointing unit on defense. I stopped reading right there. It was the linebackers and its not even close. As a player if you wanna say Mario was the most disappointing I'm game, but the whole unit ? Certainly not worse than the middling linebacker unit we have.

As for Kyle. I think he needs to be back. He needs a chance to prove he's still worthy. He was hurt, he wasn't a little ***** or underperformed ala MW. Besides his leadership was sorely missed. Specially after Whaley's "brilliant" move of letting Jackson go.

Bring him back Rex. Your ass is already on thin ice with your underwhelming defense and buddy hires. Watch what happens if you can Kyle.
    Well the reason they said there were disappointing was because the money that was invested, the injury of Kyle and the fact that the defensive line couldn't overcome that also Mario not playing to the level he was expected to play.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Didn't somebody roll on his ankle in that achilles injury also?
    Probably, I honestly don't remember. One of the Achilles was torn the other one had bone spurs that were surgically removed.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,288 Times in 13,721 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I guess it rains down in Africa.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,527 Times in 17,420 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Mace

Read the second article.

Here is a quote from the article "A key cog in the "cold front" is veteran Kyle Williams. He may be more important to the defensive line unit than anyone else. As I have covered in the Linebacker study, through the first six games the defensive unit surrendered 87 rushing yards a game. After his injury, the defense was gashed for 121 yards a game. Dareus went from 5th in stop percentage (12.3%) when Kyle was in the lineup to 11th with 9.5%. According to Pro Football Focus (PFF), Stops constitute a "loss" for the offense therefore run stop percentage is the percentage of run defense snaps where the player made a stop. Mario's run stop percentage went from 4.3% to 1.7% once Kyle was out of the lineup, while Jerry's went up from 5.9% to 8.1%. The constant double teams of Dareus seemed to help Jerry more than others, primarily because he typically was lined up at Rush LB (play-making position)." He is a better run defender than everyone thinks.

I agree with you that the biggest fault of our defensive problems was Rex I was reading an article yesterday about coach Wade Phillips and how good coaches adjust their system to the players and not the other way around. It's a sad deal because I hate to see the defense getting rebuild once again, like many other posters have complained about the rebuilding process I am tired to be in rebuilding mode every year.

It seems like one year is the defense the other the offense and so on and on and on.
    So you're the author?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Victor7 View Post

I still remember Kyles injury, you could see it wasn't good, right away. I can't even agree the Dline or LB's were the most disappointing on defense, the coaching was catastrophic.

There were parts of the second article I can't agree with, when it talks about Rex's supposed attempt to "merge" defenses. He just didn't, or he'd not have been dropping linemen into coverage nor confusing his lb's with late playcalls. It was way more than terminology, it was philosophy.

I'd love to have Kyle back and think he should belong, but there's a big diff between "should" and "does" that I'm not comfortable with regarding Ryan.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    So you're the author?
    Heh, that was part of the quote.

22. Post thanked by:

YardRat (02-05-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    So you're the author?

No I am not that was a quote from the article. I just came across this on my twitter feed and I thought I share it here.

24. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (02-05-2016),Mace (02-05-2016),YardRat (02-05-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

No I am not that was a quote from the article. I just came across this on my twitter feed and I thought I share it here.
    People might notice Yardrat is still a little loopy after coming off the ropes and hitting the canvas too hard after losing some bet he made with someone.

26. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (02-05-2016),YardRat (02-05-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,527 Times in 17,420 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    People might notice Yardrat is still a little loopy after coming off the ropes and hitting the canvas too hard after losing some bet he made with someone.
    You should be grateful I showed you the light regarding the defense, not vindictive.

28. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (02-05-2016),Mace (02-05-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He's a damn good, fast Meatball that has been the anchor of the Bills defense for the last 5 seasons or more.

One thing Kyle Williams doesn't get credit for is his speed. He never quits on a play.

He's quick on the line, and he's quick on his feet. KW moves well for 6'1 303 lb giant Meatball.

It's not rare to see him making plays 10 yards or more down the field.

His motor is far from being shot, but his career in Buffalo is riding on how well his knee heals.

If Kyle Williams can come back from an Achilles injury in the past, his body will be well rested, recuperated and good to go for at least 2 more seasons.

30. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-05-2016),toto8 (02-05-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I didn't know what you were talking about until I just saw this http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...Patriots/page5

Now everything is clear to me. Sucks that you have to show that ****ty logo YardRat I feel sorry for you.