Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sabres send pictures to NHL offices that Marchand was playing with Illegal gloves

Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie. DetDannyWilliams's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sabres send pictures to NHL offices that Marchand was playing with Illegal gloves

WGRZ Stu Boyer on Sports...Sabres GM Tim Murray says that the Sabres have sent pictures to the NHL of last night's game that clearly show that Marchand was playing with illegal gloves

Thanks
    Thanked 16,493 Times in 12,035 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Sabres send pictures to NHL offices that Marchand was playing with Illegal gloves

Orlov for Washington does this too.

Not sure why.
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Sabres send pictures to NHL offices that Marchand was playing with Illegal gloves

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    Orlov for Washington does this too.

Not sure why.
    Marchand is just keeping up the Boston tradition.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

4. Post thanked by:

coastal (02-08-2016)

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,384 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Looking at the one on the left hand, it looks worn out or is consistent with a pattern that looks like a worn palm. It would also make sense for the top hand (rubbing on the knob) would be worse for wear. Curious if the rule would only apply to it being removed intentionally or cut out. Maybe he likes to wear the same gloves all the time?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    Curious if the rule would only apply to it being removed intentionally or cut out.
    Despite the wording of the rule, it does not matter.

Maybe he likes to wear the same gloves all the time?
    Perhaps. Most players probably have several pair. Maybe he's different.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The only issue I have with this is that why not call for it on the ice? Why not get a PP? Sending something to the league after a loss seems weasely and whiny. It is akin to an NFL team sending pictures to the league for a players socks being too low. Who gives a ****? It clearly doesn't affect the performance. A smart team keeps this in their back pocket and pulls it out when they can take advantage with a PP. Not have him fined.

For the record, Marchand is a POS but this is kind of weak.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
    Despite the wording of the rule, it does not matter.

Perhaps. Most players probably have several pair. Maybe he's different.
    You can get gloves repalmed. Very easily.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Looking at the one on the left hand, it looks worn out or is consistent with a pattern that looks like a worn palm. It would also make sense for the top hand (rubbing on the knob) would be worse for wear. Curious if the rule would only apply to it being removed intentionally or cut out. Maybe he likes to wear the same gloves all the time?
    As far as I can tell, it does not matter. The reason why is it helps with stick handling and comfort. You get a better feel for the puck.

Worn or cut, it's illegal

Thanks
    Thanked 30,527 Times in 17,420 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Is everybody sure the pic hasn't been altered?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well, it is ddw thread. He does make up **** on the reg

- - - Updated - - -

Well, it is ddw thread. He does make up **** on the reg

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The only issue I have with this is that why not call for it on the ice?
    This is why I think it's fake.

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Is everybody sure the pic hasn't been altered?
    His right glove looks like his arm has been shopped to his wrist. The left looks like a small wear hole.

13. Post thanked by:

YardRat (02-09-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,914 Times in 5,306 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Brad Marchand is a legit star in the NHL.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

His right glove looks like his arm has been shopped to his wrist. The left looks like a small wear hole.
    On further review, it look legit. I didn't realize this was from his penalty shot which explains why the Sabres didn't notify the refs during the game. This is a capture directly from the replay on nhl.com.

Untitled.jpg

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

On further review, it look legit. I didn't realize this was from his penalty shot which explains why the Sabres didn't notify the refs during the game. This is a capture directly from the replay on nhl.com.

Untitled.jpg
    That it does but it doesn't explain why go to the league after the fact. Save that intel and use it later. After a loss like this it looks a lot like sour grapes.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,288 Times in 13,721 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If it was the penalty shot the only Sabre on the ice would have been the goalie, and the last thing he's going to do is watch the guy that just beat him celebrate. It's completely possible no one noticed at the time.

18. Post thanked by:

gebobs (02-09-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Is this the last time the Sabres play the Bruins? If they couldn't use it in this game, hang on to it until next time. To me this is the kid taking names while the teacher is out of class. He isn't/shouldn't be suspended so what is the end game? To get him fined?

The NHL isn't going to reverse the game so why do it at a time where it doesn't benefit your team? That's the thing that I have a hard time understanding. What he is doing doesn't give him an extra edge.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,288 Times in 13,721 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Just because he did it that game doesn't mean he's going to do it next time.

Also, if you were one of the teams that plays the Bruins between now and the next time the Sabres play them, you'd be pretty pissed off if you found out that the Sabres sat on information that your opponent was violating the rules.

Is this a huge deal? Nah, not really, but there must be some advantage to it because a) the NHL wouldn't have such a well crafted rule against it and b) Marchand wouldn't risk being penalized during a game and/or fine unless it had some benefit.

21. Post thanked by:

gebobs (02-09-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Is this the last time the Sabres play the Bruins?
    This year, yes.

If they couldn't use it in this game, hang on to it until next time. To me this is the kid taking names while the teacher is out of class. He isn't/shouldn't be suspended so what is the end game? To get him fined?

The NHL isn't going to reverse the game so why do it at a time where it doesn't benefit your team? That's the thing that I have a hard time understanding. What he is doing doesn't give him an extra edge.
    These are all great questions that you should ask Murray, if we can even lend any credence to Boyer's claim.

The bigger issue is with the penalty shot itself. That was a pretty lame call. Lehner was trying to hold back afterward...

You know, it’s disappointing. I don’t know what to say. Honestly, I’m not even disappointed that we lost, I’m disappointed… If I say something now I’m going to get in (trouble) you know? That’s what is disappointing, you know? We have McGinn going down, he’s three yards ahead of what Marchand was, and he was clipped. He didn’t get anything. Marchand, he does what he does, you know? It wasn’t even a penalty. The ref calls a penalty after a game like that, it’s just — honestly, I’m an honest guy, and I thought that was — I mean, like, both of those refs are good refs, don’t get me wrong, but that was — oh my God, I don’t know what to say, man. That’s just embarrassing. I hope he’s embarrassed. I am embarrassed. It shouldn’t end like that. Disappointing thing is that I might get fined or whatever, but it’s just embarrassing.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Which makes it further sound like whining. If the Blackhawks are in the same scenario, is Quenville or Bowman going to the league? Probably not.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Which makes it further sound like whining. If the Blackhawks are in the same scenario, is Quenville or Bowman going to the league? Probably not.
    If the Niemi blanked the Hawks in the shootout, the last on a poke check of Kane, and later it came to light that Niemi's stick was too long, you can bet your britches that Stan is going to call HQ.

I don't think it's not whining. It's business. No one at HQ is going to start complaining about the Sabres being *****y.

Other than the fact that they beat us twice last week, I think it's pretty funny.
    Last edited by gebobs; 02-09-2016 at 01:09 PM.