Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Rex Ryan Take A Hint From Wade Phillips

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Will Rex Ryan Take A Hint From Wade Phillips

and simplify his defense?

Before Super Bowl 50 started, I watched an interview with Von Miller talking about Wade's defense.

"Guys aren't thinking too much before the play."

Wade Phillips defense is simple. Players don't have to think too much before the play happens.

Rex's defensive scheme is too complex. The game of football boils down to players making plays, not deciphering the secret unknown and unwritten language of a defensive system that fails to keep it simple, stupid.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Will Rex Ryan Take A Hint From Wade Phillips

Rex will be Rex and you'll see a major turnover in personnel
    the Rebuild Starts!
    Please Make Sense

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Not once did I see Ware or Miller drop back into pass coverage. The lbs never looked confused and the defense was playing on the same page.
    Then there's Rex's d ..... Oh well .
    I'll just sit back and wait till all the hype and glitter are finally washed off and the Ryans are exposed for the frauds they are and sent packing for good.
    Last edited by sdbillsfan2; 02-08-2016 at 05:51 AM.

" I'd try to see things from your point of view but..........there's only room up your a** for one head ! "

4. Post thanked by:

Mr. Cynical (02-08-2016),toto8 (02-09-2016),Victor7 (02-08-2016),YardRat (02-08-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,926 Times in 3,482 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I saw the thread title and I thought- "was the hint that Wade like Rex is not a HC but a good DC"?

6. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (02-08-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,336 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

After watching last season with our once dominant defense being coached by a proclaimed a defensive genius, i gotta admit i was confused. I didn't see any Denver Linemen or Rush Linebackers in pass coverage all night. Why was Von Miller rushing the passer every down? I though highly paid pass rushers were best in coverage like Mario Williams covering running backs. How come their DTs didn't drop into coverage like we had our DTs?

Yes i'm still bitter over last season.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

8. Post thanked by:

Historian (02-08-2016),Mr. Cynical (02-08-2016),The last buffalo fan (02-08-2016),toto8 (02-09-2016),YardRat (02-08-2016)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,061 Times in 4,265 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sdbillsfan2 View Post
    Not once did I see Ware or Miller drop back into pass coverage. The lbs never looked confused and the defense was playing on the same page.
    Then there's Rex's d ..... Oh well .
    I'll just sit back and wait till all the hype and glitter are finally washed off and the Ryans are exposed for the frauds they are and sent packing for good.
    You weren't watching then. Miller was in coverage multiple times

10. Post thanked by:

Fixxxer (02-09-2016),IlluminatusUIUC (02-08-2016),Joe Fo Sho (02-22-2016),pmoon6 (02-08-2016),The last buffalo fan (02-08-2016)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Yeah, exactly. There's nothing wrong with dropping Von Miller into coverage because he's really good at pass coverage. He picked off Tom Brady in the AFCCG, FFS.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,061 Times in 4,265 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    Yeah, exactly. There's nothing wrong with dropping Von Miller into coverage because he's really good at pass coverage. He picked off Tom Brady in the AFCCG, FFS.
    Exactly. I think Denver's D is the model that Rex Ryan is trying to build. They had lineman dropping into coverage often, and blitzers coming from everywhere on the field.

13. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (02-08-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 574 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The dropping lineman into coverage thing is overplayed. For sure Mario is better of rushing than covering. Nobody will ever dispute that. But it din't happen nearly as much as some posters make it sound and its not the reason why our D sucked.

I do agree about the complicated part. Most players on that D have made it clear that our system has too many do and don'ts, adjustments and analysis pre play. This guys are athletes not scholars. Keep it simple and let them go at it. Its what Schwartz did and it worked perfectly. Rex has them doing too much of the stuff they are not supposed to do.

15. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-08-2016),The last buffalo fan (02-08-2016),YardRat (02-08-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Von Miller had an awesome coverage stop on the sideline against Cotchery. Someone send the film to Mario and tell him to buck up.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,222 Times in 15,390 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Who is Denvers punt catcher????

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,841 Times in 6,258 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    I was going to say the same thing.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,141 Times in 5,885 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Victor7 View Post
    The dropping lineman into coverage thing is overplayed. For sure Mario is better of rushing than covering. Nobody will ever dispute that. But it din't happen nearly as much as some posters make it sound and its not the reason why our D sucked.

I do agree about the complicated part. Most players on that D have made it clear that our system has too many do and don'ts, adjustments and analysis pre play. This guys are athletes not scholars. Keep it simple and let them go at it. Its what Schwartz did and it worked perfectly. Rex has them doing too much of the stuff they are not supposed to do.
    It seems silly that professionals, that have been playing football before their first pubic hair sprouted, are being asked to think and over think what has now become natural. Defensive Football. There seems to be some serious ego and over thinking going on in the minds of those that do not play on the field.

Phillips kept it simple and did what had to be done... All without anyone thinking or needing a spread sheet or calculator. See the guy with the ball running?... Get him. See the skinny guy trying to catch the ball? don't let him. See the guy droppin back after they say hike? get in his face fast. Too much over thinking going on. Keep it simple stoopid!

20. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (02-08-2016),Mace (02-08-2016),The last buffalo fan (02-08-2016),Victor7 (02-08-2016)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,488 Times in 9,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    It seems silly that professionals, that have been playing football before their first pubic hair sprouted, are being asked to think and over think what has now become natural. Defensive Football. There seems to be some serious ego and over thinking going on in the minds of those that do not play on the field.

Phillips kept it simple and did what had to be done... All without anyone thinking or needing a spread sheet or calculator. See the guy with the ball running?... Get him. See the skinny guy trying to catch the ball? don't let him. See the guy droppin back after they say hike? get in his face fast. Too much over thinking going on. Keep it simple stoopid!
    Wade and the players even said they keep it simple. Rex knows better though.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills defensive players are all thinking the same thing after watching Denver's Super Bowl D last night.

"That could have been our defense."

They have the talent, but Rex puts his system ahead of the talent he has.

He seems like he doesn't care if a player is a square peg, he's going to force him in to his own round hole on defense.

That doesn't sound good.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I won't be defending Rex or Rob on their schemes...but...I will say that Mario quitting on the team played a big role in their demise this season, along with injuries to Awill and Kyle Williams. When you watched Denver, Ware and Miller were absolute beasts, playing 1000% on every down. And their LBs are fast and smart and can stop the run and cover when needed. So when you have that in place, you can be simple, since it all comes down to just beating your man. I think Rex did over complicate, and I think he wasn't able to sell it. At. All. So really it comes down to creating the scheme to fit the players (as has been said forever). And when u have a Miller/Ware/Ward/etc. on your team, you don't have to get cute. You just unleash the hounds from hell.

The only way that can happen in B'lo is if they kick Mario to the curb and get a legit pass rusher to complement Hughes. Step 1. Then step 2, get a legit MLB stud that can QB the D as needed so the other guys don't have to think and can just play. SO IMO, I think the first two picks are DE and LB. Denver's D is the new model. It shows it can stop even the most elite QBs and win.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,141 Times in 5,885 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Step 1 wouldn't be simplifying things?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Step 1, hire a GM who has the authority to make football related decisions, with his first decision being who should coach the team. The marketing department should not be picking the coach.

26. Post thanked by:

Historian (02-09-2016),pmoon6 (02-10-2016),YardRat (02-09-2016)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,222 Times in 15,390 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

FWIW....I saw Rex yesterday. He had just pulled up to the arena to pick up his Sabres-Penguins tickets. People were all yelling Rex to him and he waved back.

His truck needs washed.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,488 Times in 9,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    FWIW....I saw Rex yesterday. He had just pulled up to the arena to pick up his Sabres-Penguins tickets. People were all yelling Rex to him and he waved back.

His truck needs washed.
    I would have lost control of myself and thrown my shoes at him.

29. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (02-22-2016),YardRat (02-22-2016)