Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ‘You couldn’t tell me winning a Super Bowl would feel any nicer’

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: ‘You couldn’t tell me winning a Super Bowl would feel any nicer’

At the time, many of us felt he was ******ing the progress of the team & Rob Johnson. Looking back now, it's easy to say Flutie was the better QB & Johnson shouldn't have started any games over Flutie, but it wasn't that simple then because Butler & Wade had convinced us RJ was the real deal and one injury wasn't enough to convince us otherwise. When the injury count kept growing, it became obvious that RJ didn't belong on the field.
    At my worst, I used to half-jokingly yell "Satan" every time Flutie went into the game.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I won a flag football league championship it the 80s. This is as significant as the CFL. (But we had less nauseating uniforms--and better attendance).

3. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (02-15-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    Jim McMahon was the reason Flutie was not accepted on the Bears. McMahon didn't like his popularity, the fact that he was a Heisman winner, in short he was jealous of Doug and he caused others to follow which he could do. But let's be clear. Doug was a talented player. But he was short. You simply were not going to run a standard pro offense with him and make it work. He needed an offense that was tailored to his strengths and minimized his weaknesses. That's what he had in Canada. The NFL is playing a lot closer to that now. But in his stops in the NFL he was put in very traditional offense, lot of running, play action, throw from the pocket. That wasn't a good fit. If he played in an offense like Mike Shanahan ran in Oakland and Denver, moving the pocket, rollouts in both directions he would have been great. Obviously you're not a fan but that's my opinion. Never understood the nastiness towards Doug by Bills fans. He's one of the few bright spots in the last 20 years here.
    Players in that locker room were PO'd that Ditka gave the starting job in the playoffs to Flutie instead of Fuller. Players in that locker room were PO'd that Dougie was even brought in when they had Fuller and Tomczak already. Fuller and Tomczak were both liked and respected.

He walked in to a situation where he had a very slim margin for error and not a good chance to win over the locker room. Going out in that playoff game against the Skins and laying a complete egg cemented he was never gonna fit in that locker room and would never be part of that team.

Especially since Fuller lead the Bears to a victory over the Skins 2 years prior in the playoffs.

That doesn't even mention how Dougie gave himself some ill will league wide among the players after that 86 season as he became a scab player on the 87 Pats.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,557 Times in 17,441 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If the ****ing officials had made the right call in Tennessee, Johnson/Flutie wouldn't be being debated to this day. I'm not an RJ OR Flutie fanboy by any means, but the bottom line is the Bills were winning when Johnson went to the sideline.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

6. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-10-2016),Mr. Pink (02-10-2016),Thurmal (02-11-2016),Victor7 (02-11-2016),WagonCircler (02-10-2016)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The thing about Flutie in his later years, I remember reading it, then noticing it was obvious, his first year in our offense where he could play his game was dynamic, then teams watched the film and had their defenses start throwing up their arms so he couldn't see well down field. That would make him run, and they planned for it. You can see a diff from his first year with the Bills to the next.

Besides the bad stuff he brought to a locker room, remember reading so often how he divided teams lobbying for himself, he only always had a great temporary effect.

That doesn't take away from that temporary effect whatever though, and he brought a flash of magic while it lasted at a time the team desperately needed it.

Flutie or Rob ? Well, Rob was adequate enough to win the game, no idea what would have happened with Flutie. Rob sure wasn't much after that, Flutie wasn't either. Over his career his stats say he was middlin.

When it worked, it worked. I don't mind not being overly aggravated or excited looking back at him here. It was what it was when it was. Awesome fun sometimes, then sometimes not. Pretty typical if you're a long term Bills fan.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DynaPaul View Post
    But what does Rob Johnson think?
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,941 Times in 3,493 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    If the ****ing officials had made the right call in Tennessee, Johnson/Flutie wouldn't be being debated to this day. I'm not an RJ OR Flutie fanboy by any means, but the bottom line is the Bills were winning when Johnson went to the sideline.
    Oh please. Johnson was terrible in that game, completed like 11 passes. If we won it would have been because the D played lights out. RJ sucked. We win that game by 2 TD's if Flutie plays.

The Meathead of Muslims! ticatfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,538 Times in 2,765 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How many times did RJ get sacked that game?
    Political correctness ( or cancel culture as it is called today) is a doctrine fostered by a delusional ,illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by MSM which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
    Harry S Truman 1941.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Oh please. Johnson was terrible in that game, completed like 11 passes. If we won it would have been because the D played lights out. RJ sucked.
    True. It was one of those games where the offense struggled for the entire game, but RJ and that side of the ball played well enough, for one important drive, to put the team in FG range and tke the lead.

We win that game by 2 TD's if Flutie plays.
    Well, first of all that's entirely speculation, and secondly...Oh please...Tennessee was 13-3 that season with a pretty good defense themselves, playing at home.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well, first of all that's entirely speculation, and secondly...Oh please...Tennessee was 13-3 that season with a pretty good defense themselves, playing at home.
    Agreed. It was the same Tennessee team that held the "Greatest Show on Turf" to 16 points for 58 minutes and came within a yard of sending the Super Bowl to OT.

13. Post thanked by:

YardRat (02-11-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

True. It was one of those games where the offense struggled for the entire game, but
    Sorry no buts. You don't get to blow all game and then say we were unlucky to lose. One drive for a FG doesn't absolve him from responsibility for the loss. If we had won it would have been tremendous but RJ still would have sucked.

True we don't get to play it over again. Just my opinion.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sorry no buts. You don't get to blow all game and then say we were unlucky to lose. One drive for a FG doesn't absolve him from responsibility for the loss. If we had won it would have been tremendous but RJ still would have sucked.
    I didn't say we were unlucky, I said the ref's blew the call. Also, 'no buts' include '(But) We win that game by two TD's if Flutie plays'.

Say all you want about the 'bigger picture' of the game (any game) in it's entirety...it's all speculation. Competition is an exercise in moments, and the 'fact' is the Bills were ahead on the scoreboard the moment RJ went to the sidelines with the lead.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I didn't say we were unlucky, I said the ref's blew the call. Also, 'no buts' include '(But) We win that game by two TD's if Flutie plays'.

Say all you want about the 'bigger picture' of the game (any game) in it's entirety...it's all speculation. Competition is an exercise in moments, and the 'fact' is the Bills were ahead on the scoreboard the moment RJ went to the sidelines with the lead.
    lol

The Meathead of Muslims! ticatfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,538 Times in 2,765 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

And where is RJ now, who is he playing with?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Oh please. Johnson was terrible in that game, completed like 11 passes. If we won it would have been because the D played lights out. RJ sucked. We win that game by 2 TD's if Flutie plays.
    You mean like how they won that playoff game in 1998 where Dougie started?

The one where he fumbled on 1st and goal at the 5 with 17 seconds left in the game? The one where he was intercepted at the 1 with 24 seconds left in the 1st half?

Funny, Rob Johnson walked off the field with the lead the next year and the special teams blew it...Flutie walked off in 1998 as the goat.

But you're right, the Bills beat the Titans by 2 TDs with Flutie. I see the logical connection.
    Last edited by Mr. Pink; 02-11-2016 at 02:39 PM.

19. Post thanked by:

Thurmal (02-11-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If we genetically spliced DF and RJ together we'd have a hell of a QB but separated and on their own neither one were the answer. End of story.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    You mean like how they won that playoff game in 1998 where Dougie started?

The one where he fumbled on 1st and goal at the 5 with 17 seconds left in the game? The one where he was intercepted at the 1 with 24 seconds left in the 1st half?

Funny, Rob Johnson walked off the field with the lead the next year and the special teams blew it...Flutie walked off in 1998 as the goat.

But you're right, the Bills beat the Titans by 2 TDs with Flutie. I see the logical connection.
    IMO RJ wouldn't have even gotten us into the playoffs in the first place. He was a bum with zero pocket presence and never accomplished anything in the NFL. In the Titans game he completed 11 passes, that's a joke.

It would awesome to be able to ***** about a Bills QB's performance in the playoffs. It hasn't happened since Doug led us there and it's been a long long time.

My IQ Test results came back negative BillsOwnAll's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You can tell its offseason. The bamboons are argueing about nothing again

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsOwnAll View Post
    You can tell its offseason. The bamboons are argueing about nothing again
    Sorry did we pull you away from your spelling bee?

24. Post thanked by:

Mr. Pink (02-15-2016),YardRat (02-15-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

lol...cookies for Cody...

26. Post thanked by:

Bill Cody (02-15-2016),Mr. Pink (02-15-2016)