Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ‘You couldn’t tell me winning a Super Bowl would feel any nicer’

The Meathead of Muslims! ticatfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,538 Times in 2,765 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

‘You couldn’t tell me winning a Super Bowl would feel any nicer’

I miss playing in the CFL, no doubt about it. Boy, it was a lot of fun. People in America have no clue what goes on up there, or about the quality of football we had. That’s what made the experience for me. Most of the guys were NFL-caliber talent, but were undersized or just didn’t fit the mold in one way or another.

My CFL career started in 1990, with the BC Lions, and I didn’t know what to expect. But I could tell I was going to be viewed as a backup in the NFL, and you only have so many years to play this game, and I wanted to play. So I figured I’d give the CFL a whirl. When I first went up to Canada, I thought I’d put in two years up there and then try to get back to the NFL. But I enjoyed it so much, I wound up making a career out of it.

The game in Canada was more exciting, more explosive, more wide open. It was what the NFL is now becoming. We were going no huddle, over the ball, from the time I got up there. No-back sets, six wide receivers, throwing the ball all over the field. There is a 20-second clock between plays rather than 40. It just creates a pace that the NFL is now realizing to be more exciting—and actually more effective. The NFL is turning into a no-huddle, up-tempo, fast-paced, throw-the-football type of game now. The CFL has been that for the past 30 years.

By the time I finished up in the CFL, I was basically my own offensive coordinator, calling all the plays on the field. We had our playbook, but I had my ideas from watching film during the week of game-planning and seeing things on the field. My whole theory at quarterback was to keep my receivers from having to think too much. Let them just be full speed and go. Rather than making them read everything on the fly and then adjusting, I would give them a route and they would just run it. I told them, “I’ll deal with the pressure, I’ll deal with the hot reads, I’ll build something in where I’ll get rid of the ball quickly.” More....
    http://mmqb.si.com/2014/06/24/cfl-do...ootball-league
    Political correctness ( or cancel culture as it is called today) is a doctrine fostered by a delusional ,illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by MSM which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
    Harry S Truman 1941.

2. Post thanked by:

Bill Cody (02-08-2016),Mace (02-10-2016),The last buffalo fan (02-08-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: ‘You couldn’t tell me winning a Super Bowl would feel any nicer’

No one cares.

You can post another 100,000,000 of these CFL stories and no one will care.

Rec league football with uglier uniforms.

4. Post thanked by:

Albany,n.y. (02-10-2016),feldspar (02-08-2016),sukie (02-08-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,934 Times in 3,490 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

great article. No doubt Doug Flutie was a genius on the football field. He was ahead of his time.

6. Post thanked by:

ticatfan (02-11-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 843 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Interesting Doug claims he made more money in the CFL than the NFL... One year he didn't get paid at all and had to sue and another year the Stampeders owner didnt pay him until 5 months after the season ended

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...3,473044&hl=en

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
    Interesting Doug claims he made more money in the CFL than the NFL... One year he didn't get paid at all and had to sue and another year the Stampeders owner didnt pay him until 5 months after the season ended

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...3,473044&hl=en
    He was referring to the hrs, I think.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 912 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Why are we talking about a crappy ex-QB who played in a crappy league?
    "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

10. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (02-08-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInRoch View Post
    Why are we talking about a crappy ex-QB who played in a crappy league?
    You mean the 35 yr old CFL QB that went to buffalo and would have won a super bowl if your management were not idiots? Ya that is the one, we are talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    No one cares.

You can post another 100,000,000 of these CFL stories and no one will care.

Rec league football with uglier uniforms.
    Thank god for super bowl commercials.

12. Post thanked by:

Mike (02-14-2016),The last buffalo fan (02-08-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ticatfan View Post
    You mean the 35 yr old CFL QB that went to buffalo and would have won a super bowl if your management were not idiots? Ya that is the one, we are talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank god for super bowl commercials.
    Dry your tears. I'll buy you a Grey Cup commercial. How much does it cost to snail mail a looney to Canada?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Boo Hoo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The player you describe does not exist. The only 35 year old CFL QB who went to Buffalo was the most overrated Bill of all time, and would POSSIBLY have been carried to the Super Bowl by a very good defense before getting squashed by the Rams. He also was a huge cancer in the locker room.

16. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (02-08-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

But what does Rob Johnson think?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The player you describe does not exist. The only 35 year old CFL QB who went to Buffalo was the most overrated Bill of all time, and would POSSIBLY have been carried to the Super Bowl by a very good defense before getting squashed by the Rams. He also was a huge cancer in the locker room.
    A RJ fan. That is even worse. lol But I guess having a winning QB is so foreign to you.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

"Thinking Flutie was a cancer and highly over-rated" is not the same as "being an RJ fan". I am not in any way an RJ fan.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Flutie won where ever he went, except in buffalo where he would have if he was not pulled. It is very simple. And the cancer thing was not flutie, it was RJ and the owner. Even super bowl winning defensive coordinator Wade Philips even said so. So I will take his word over yours any day anytime.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Flutie won where ever he went, except in buffalo where he would have if he was not pulled. It is very simple. And the cancer thing was not flutie, it was RJ and the owner. Even super bowl winning defensive coordinator Wade Philips even said so. So I will take his word over yours any day anytime.
    Yes, everywhere he went.

Except the Bears, Patriots, Bills, Chargers, and Patriots again. Take those out and he won everywhere.

Show me the quote where Wade Phillips said Rob Johnson was a cancer.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yes, everywhere he went.

Except the Bears, Patriots, Bills, Chargers, and Patriots again. Take those out and he won everywhere.

Show me the quote where Wade Phillips said Rob Johnson was a cancer.
    I meant keeping flutie in, they would have won. Buffalo broke his streak. Ever wonder why buffalo never wins? Stupid people running the team. Your new owner I would bet would have kept him in. But then he did hire Ryan. Anyways we have all been thru this many years ago.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

His streak of not succeeding with the Bears and Patriots? No, I'd say they kept that going pretty well.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He won in college, the CFL and would have in the NFL, except for a dumb decision.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Flutie would have never found his way back to the NFL if not for the CFL. He wasn't liked in Chicago by the locker room, and players resented he was brought in, in 1986. Then resented him and Ditka even further for allowing him to start in the playoffs. A game they lost to the Redskins. The Skins dared Flutie to pass in that game, and he was abysmal. Players on that team blamed him and Ditka for that loss thinking Steve Fuller should have started instead. Hall of Famer Richard Dent even has stated, to this day, that Ditka and Flutie are the reason that Bears team only won the one Superbowl. Jim McMahon nicknamed him Bambi.

He was then jettisoned out of town because of this to New England. Things didn't go any better there and he was jettisoned out of the league completely.

I love this fairy tale people love to tell about Flutie and how he was awesome and that he should have won a championship in the NFL. Or whatever other mumbo jumbo people come up with. Truth is the guy started 2 NFL playoff games in his career. He lost both of them. He went a combined 32 of 67 for 494 yards, 2 TDs and 3 INTs in those 2 games. He was sacked 4 times and fumbled 3 times.

We won't even mention the fact that that 1986 Bears team was even better than that 1998 Bills team either.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,934 Times in 3,490 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Flutie would have never found his way back to the NFL if not for the CFL. He wasn't liked in Chicago by the locker room, and players resented he was brought in, in 1986. Then resented him and Ditka even further for allowing him to start in the playoffs. A game they lost to the Redskins. The Skins dared Flutie to pass in that game, and he was abysmal. Players on that team blamed him and Ditka for that loss thinking Steve Fuller should have started instead. Hall of Famer Richard Dent even has stated, to this day, that Ditka and Flutie are the reason that Bears team only won the one Superbowl. Jim McMahon nicknamed him Bambi.

He was then jettisoned out of town because of this to New England. Things didn't go any better there and he was jettisoned out of the league completely.

I love this fairy tale people love to tell about Flutie and how he was awesome and that he should have won a championship in the NFL. Or whatever other mumbo jumbo people come up with. Truth is the guy started 2 NFL playoff games in his career. He lost both of them. He went a combined 32 of 67 for 494 yards, 2 TDs and 3 INTs in those 2 games. He was sacked 4 times and fumbled 3 times.

We won't even mention the fact that that 1986 Bears team was even better than that 1998 Bills team either.
    Jim McMahon was the reason Flutie was not accepted on the Bears. McMahon didn't like his popularity, the fact that he was a Heisman winner, in short he was jealous of Doug and he caused others to follow which he could do. But let's be clear. Doug was a talented player. But he was short. You simply were not going to run a standard pro offense with him and make it work. He needed an offense that was tailored to his strengths and minimized his weaknesses. That's what he had in Canada. The NFL is playing a lot closer to that now. But in his stops in the NFL he was put in very traditional offense, lot of running, play action, throw from the pocket. That wasn't a good fit. If he played in an offense like Mike Shanahan ran in Oakland and Denver, moving the pocket, rollouts in both directions he would have been great. Obviously you're not a fan but that's my opinion. Never understood the nastiness towards Doug by Bills fans. He's one of the few bright spots in the last 20 years here.

27. Post thanked by:

Mike (02-14-2016)