Thread: QBs taking off before looking to pass

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

QBs taking off before looking to pass

After watching the playoffs, Taylor really isn't far behind Wilson and Newton. For every fault I have with Taylor, I can find greater ones in Wilson and Newton. Taylor issue for me is not throwing with anticipation and making decisions to run to fast. Newton has severe accuracy issues that even during his great season were noticeble. He tries to make every pass a bullet and misses WRs that all playoff long I thought, Tyrod never misses that. Wilson has a issue with running backwards in the pocket along with throwing the ball in double to tripple coverage sometimes. This all gives me hope for Taylor, as I see he is at least in the league of Wilson and Newton in basically everything except throwing his WR open. I can't name another trait that when I see Newton or Wilson I'm thinking Tyrod can never be that. Out of all 3 he also is visably the best runner in the NFL at QB in the open field.
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

2. Post thanked by:

ParanoidAndroid (02-10-2016)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: QBs taking off before looking to pass

Here's another trait. Newton and Wilson were not in their first year as a starting QB. Taylor was.

He seems to be a smart guy and improvement is not out of the question.

Still, sign a vet and draft a developmental QB.

4. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-09-2016),ParanoidAndroid (02-10-2016),Victor7 (02-09-2016),YardRat (02-09-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 574 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Taylor's 2 main issues IMO are

Throwing over the middle and going through progressions.

The over the middle part is pretty self explanatory and everyone that watched more than a few games knows it to be true. I wonder though if Roman has some blame as well and he's not calling enough throws over there. Who knows its hard to tell. It affected Clay's output last year.

Progressions. Might also be part of the over the middle issue. But TT seems like he struggles if the 1st read isn't there. This one is a big issue because teams will look to take away all the immediate stuff and make Taylor scan the field which he's not great at. Hopefully he can improve.

6. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-09-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm aware of the fact that I wrote fast instead of first also.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Victor7 View Post
    The over the middle part is pretty self explanatory and everyone that watched more than a few games knows it to be true. I wonder though if Roman has some blame as well and he's not calling enough throws over there..
    Or maybe Roman understands that Tyrod isn't tall enough to see the middle.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Taylor can see the middle of the field. The QB in the NFL who absolutely cannot see above his OL is Russel. That is why he runs nothing but roll outs and begins 10 yards behind the LOS. Taylor can see if given the right lane, but we need to allow him to move around more. A lot of it is the OL understanding they need to block lanes open and give more seperation. With pocket QBs, OL tries to pinch and block the interior rushers. With mobile QBs you want to spread out more to give the QB running and passing lanes. I noticed our OL pinched way to much last year causing Taylor to have to elude the pocket

Thanks
    Thanked 30,468 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Taylor will get his opportunity to prove he can take the next step this year. The team should bring in a vet and a rookie draft pick, but it's highly unlikely that either beat him out (even if they are given the chance to begin with) prior to the season. He should get that opportunity, he did enough to earn it.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,471 Times in 9,175 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Victor7 View Post
    Taylor's 2 main issues IMO are

Throwing over the middle and going through progressions.

The over the middle part is pretty self explanatory and everyone that watched more than a few games knows it to be true. I wonder though if Roman has some blame as well and he's not calling enough throws over there. Who knows its hard to tell. It affected Clay's output last year.

Progressions. Might also be part of the over the middle issue. But TT seems like he struggles if the 1st read isn't there. This one is a big issue because teams will look to take away all the immediate stuff and make Taylor scan the field which he's not great at. Hopefully he can improve.
    Those two and another, durability.

I have no problem going into next year with Taylor as a starter, as mentioned he earned it. I have no problem admitting 2015 was essentially his rookie year and he did great for it.

I still have big problems with the thing everyone keeps forgetting. Roman is a running game guy, always was, and always had supplemental passing game guys involved with calling passing plays. That's Lee and Lal here. I still think that's why they can't run a hurry up offense or two minute drill, don't throw to the middle of the field, and have a start/stop passing game that just isn't fluid.

So I think Taylor is also going to have to master reads and progressions pretty quick while staying healthy, just so he can adapt to the convoluted play calling and play around it so to speak.

It is what it is though. But backup QB is pretty important for this team, unfortunately.

12. Post thanked by:

YardRat (02-09-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cali512 View Post
    After watching the playoffs, Taylor really isn't far behind Wilson and Newton. For every fault I have with Taylor, I can find greater ones in Wilson and Newton. Taylor issue for me is not throwing with anticipation and making decisions to run to fast. Newton has severe accuracy issues that even during his great season were noticeble. He tries to make every pass a bullet and misses WRs that all playoff long I thought, Tyrod never misses that. Wilson has a issue with running backwards in the pocket along with throwing the ball in double to tripple coverage sometimes. This all gives me hope for Taylor, as I see he is at least in the league of Wilson and Newton in basically everything except throwing his WR open. I can't name another trait that when I see Newton or Wilson I'm thinking Tyrod can never be that. Out of all 3 he also is visably the best runner in the NFL at QB in the open field.
    As ROOKIES both Cam & Wilson were Miles ahead of Taylor.
    Right now it's not even close. Cam won the MVP over guys like Rogers & Brady while Wilson finished the last 7 games on a tear: 24 TD to 1int in last 7 games!

Taylor is exactly what you see on the field. He's Rob Johnson with Legs... He had the same inability to get rid of the ball quickly, can't complete throws over the middle, hard time reading defenses... Etc

No Close IMO

Doug Flutie >>> Taylor
    Please Make Sense

14. Post thanked by:

TacklingDummy (02-12-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    As ROOKIES both Cam & Wilson were Miles ahead of Taylor.
    Right now it's not even close. Cam won the MVP over guys like Rogers & Brady while Wilson finished the last 7 games on a tear: 24 TD to 1int in last 7 games!

Taylor is exactly what you see on the field. He's Rob Johnson with Legs... He had the same inability to get rid of the ball quickly, can't complete throws over the middle, hard time reading defenses... Etc

No Close IMO

Doug Flutie >>> Taylor
    Wow there are an incredible amount of arogance in this post.
    Tyrod threw a good 4-5 TDs in the middle of the field along with a few huge gains to the middle. Vs the patriots the first game he threw in the middle all day. But yeah he has to improve that. Also Rob Johnson was more of a Fitzpatrick than anything. The only comparison to Tyrod I can see is the strong arm. Your just spewing hatred out of your ass aren't you?

Also did you even watch Cams first 3 years? Remember how average he looked the first year we played him? The only thing he did better than Taylor his first year was yards. He threw more times though in his first 3 years than Tyrod did this year. Also Romans offense is not built on quick passes. His offense is built for the QB to have enough room to move around as routes develop. Cam has severe and I mean severe stone feet when he plays. He does not move from a planted stance unless he's running. He is useless unless he has time. He also has horrible ball placement. His passes are 90 mph with area code accuracy.

Russel Wilsons first year was exactly like Tyrods. Even watching them play they had the same style and issues. Russel Wilsons downside though is he has to drop back every snap 10 yards to see over his OL. He also will take off a lot immediately without looking at any WRs.

Tyrod does have issues locking onto his main WR, which he got way better through the season. You can tell the last few games he was trying to go through all progressions and used the time to be a true QB. But when comparing him to Russel and Cams first year, it only validates my point. Also Brady wasn't winning mvp with his history. Rodgers had a up and down season, than every other big name QB either slumped or was injured. Cam wouldn't of won MVP if he played in the last 5 years like this season.

Even Luck didn't have a season comparable to Tyrod till year 3. His first year threw for 4000 in a pass heavy offense but had 23 TDs and 17 ints. Also Tyrod was injured part of the year

Can you give me one fact to back this up?
    Last edited by Cali512; 02-12-2016 at 10:31 AM.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Taking this in another direction..

There are more " athletes playing QB ' than ever before. Few college teams develop classic pocket QB's who are more NFL ready. But the NFL needs their QB's to be athletic with the ability to escape.

The edge rushers in this league have never been quicker and most often are OLB's with speed ( like Ware and Miller ). No Tackle can move quick enough to stop these guys consistently. Better be able to move or deliver the ball quickly.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

For all we complained about guys like Edwards throwing endlessly to the flats and short of the sticks, it was refreshing to see a guy take shots downfield with some regularity. I would like to see what Roman develops with Taylor as the expected starter going into TC rather than Manuel/Cassel.

Taylor must must must must learn to protect himself though. Get to the sticks and go down or out of bounds.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    Taking this in another direction..

There are more " athletes playing QB ' than ever before. Few college teams develop classic pocket QB's who are more NFL ready. But the NFL needs their QB's to be athletic with the ability to escape.

The edge rushers in this league have never been quicker and most often are OLB's with speed ( like Ware and Miller ). No Tackle can move quick enough to stop these guys consistently. Better be able to move or deliver the ball quickly.
    Yes I agree. I think the natural sense for breaking tackles and eluding defenders I'd transitioning to QBs in the pocket

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cali512 View Post
    Wow there are an incredible amount of arogance in this post.
    Tyrod threw a good 4-5 TDs in the middle of the field along with a few huge gains to the middle. Vs the patriots the first game he threw in the middle all day. But yeah he has to improve that. Also Rob Johnson was more of a Fitzpatrick than anything. The only comparison to Tyrod I can see is the strong arm. Your just spewing hatred out of your ass aren't you?

Also did you even watch Cams first 3 years? Remember how average he looked the first year we played him? The only thing he did better than Taylor his first year was yards. He threw more times though in his first 3 years than Tyrod did this year. Also Romans offense is not built on quick passes. His offense is built for the QB to have enough room to move around as routes develop. Cam has severe and I mean severe stone feet when he plays. He does not move from a planted stance unless he's running. He is useless unless he has time. He also has horrible ball placement. His passes are 90 mph with area code accuracy.

Russel Wilsons first year was exactly like Tyrods. Even watching them play they had the same style and issues. Russel Wilsons downside though is he has to drop back every snap 10 yards to see over his OL. He also will take off a lot immediately without looking at any WRs.

Tyrod does have issues locking onto his main WR, which he got way better through the season. You can tell the last few games he was trying to go through all progressions and used the time to be a true QB. But when comparing him to Russel and Cams first year, it only validates my point. Also Brady wasn't winning mvp with his history. Rodgers had a up and down season, than every other big name QB either slumped or was injured. Cam wouldn't of won MVP if he played in the last 5 years like this season.

Even Luck didn't have a season comparable to Tyrod till year 3. His first year threw for 4000 in a pass heavy offense but had 23 TDs and 17 ints. Also Tyrod was injured part of the year

Can you give me one fact to back this up?

Facts... Lol

Tyrod Taylor threw for 3,000 yards & 24 Total TD (20 TD passing, ran for 500+ yards & 4 TD)
    - 4th year player
    - learned behind Joe Flacco & a very good Baltimore Coaching Staff for 4 years!
    = 4 Training Camps
    = 4 years of Daily Practice vs NFL Talent
    = NFL coaching for 4 years
    = NFL film study for 4 years

* Comparatively, Aaron Rodgers sat behind Favre for a few years before becoming the starter and when he did, he was phenomenal. No one refered to him as being 'practically a rookie'

As a rookie Cam threw for over 4,000+ yards, 35 Total TDs, 700 yards rushing, as a rookie!
    - was rookie of the year
    - pro bowler etc...
    = in his 5th year.... 50 Total TDs & NFL MVP

As a rookie Russel threw for 3,100+ yards, 30 Total TDs, 500 yards rushing, had a QB rating of 100!
    - set NFL record for throwing 26TDs
    - had arguably the best start to NFL career as QB (won more games & threw more TDs than any other QB in their 1st 2years as starter.... Plus won SB)
    = in his 4th year.... 4K yards & 34 TDs, 500+ yards rushing, rating of 110, Finished 2nd in MVP race.

I don't think you have really watched Cam or Russel for an entire season. You may have seen a game here or there, some highlights and the stat line, but I doubt you really watched them play.

These guys take Games Over... They don't choke away the last drive with 3min to go and the ball by throwing a pick or going 3&out like Tyrod.