Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like the Bills will make a QB play early in draft

Thanks
    Thanked 2,447 Times in 1,528 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Looks like the Bills will make a QB play early in draft

• 112 retweets87 likes

• Mike Rodak@mikerodak 5h5 hours ago
      Who took QB Paxton Lynch to dinner last night? That would be the Buffalo Bills, ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio reports. OC Greg Roman in Memphis.

There seems to be a philosophy change in that regard. Just from interviews, I heard Whaley stating drafting QA every year is one way of doing it. Think about, Tyrod is arguably one of the most promising QB the Bills had for years, and the organization is NOT simply hitching its wagon onto him. Instead they have interviewed QB prospects left and right.

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Looks like the Bills will make a QB play early in draft

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    • 112 retweets87 likes

Who took QB Paxton Lynch to dinner last night? That would be the Buffalo Bills, ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio reports. OC Greg Roman in Memphis.

There seems to be a philosophy change in that regard. Just from interviews, I heard Whaley stating drafting QA every year is one way of doing it. Think about, Tyrod is arguably one of the most promising QB the Bills had for years, and the organization is NOT simply hitching its wagon onto him. Instead they have interviewed QB prospects left and right.
    I don't know if I could go so far as to say that this year is different than any other... Sending your OC to watch QB prospects is not atypical in any year whether you need a QB or not. The dinner is likely because they see Lynch as a prospect that could potentially be there at 19 that they may have interest in. I'm not sure that's different than any other player at any other position in play at 19.

I think Lynch is on our radar and I'm pretty sure we will draft a QB at some point. But none of this makes Lynch anything other than a guy in the mix at 19... There are many others at other positions that are more likely.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    • 112 retweets87 likes

I'm not big on Lynch as a prospect yet most regard him as 3rd best QB prospect in the draft. I have no problem entertaining the idea of drafting him if he's there as I am not sold on Tyrod long term. As had a feeeling we would take a QB in first three rounds yet I'd prefer Conner Cook in Round 2. That said entertaining Lynch might lead team like Denver to trading up and grab him from us.

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    I'm not big on Lynch as a prospect yet most regard him as 3rd best QB prospect in the draft. I have no problem entertaining the idea of drafting him if he's there as I am not sold on Tyrod long term. As had a feeeling we would take a QB in first three rounds yet I'd prefer Conner Cook in Round 2. That said entertaining Lynch might lead team like Denver to trading up and grab him from us.
    Well the upside is that if I can get him to wear #23 I can re-use some old jerseys.

5. Post thanked by:

Skooby (04-06-2016),trapezeus (04-06-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

taking an Offensive player in round 1 will be a head scratcher. the team's d is weaker than it ended the year. the d needs a lb to qb the defense. we technically have a qb that did well statistically. he has to stay healthy and he has to get better in closer games and reducing 3 and outs. not out of the question.

I just don't see a no brainer qb in this draft. if you don't, then don't take one in round 1. a guy you don't trust starting for your team can be found later.

7. Post thanked by:

Mace (04-06-2016),Skooby (04-06-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,215 Times in 3,684 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    taking an Offensive player in round 1 will be a head scratcher. the team's d is weaker than it ended the year. the d needs a lb to qb the defense. we technically have a qb that did well statistically. he has to stay healthy and he has to get better in closer games and reducing 3 and outs. not out of the question.

I just don't see a no brainer qb in this draft. if you don't, then don't take one in round 1. a guy you don't trust starting for your team can be found later.
    Brilliant. We have a pro bowl QB (9th choice but still), so why do we need a QB early ?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,447 Times in 1,528 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I just have the feeling that Pegula may have a bigger impact than we know. Unlike all of us fans, they just bought the team so they may not have that urgent feeling of doing all you can to squeeze into playoff. They are not blind; the kind of value added to a franchise with a franchise QB is easy to see.

Having said that, I don't believe they tell Whaley to draft Lynch in particular, but they may have pushed to put "getting that guy at QB" at a much higher priority as the overall franchise direction.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Tyrod deserves competition but I don't see the mid-late first round as the place to get it.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

12. Post thanked by:

sudzy (04-06-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    Brilliant. We have a pro bowl QB (9th choice but still), so why do we need a QB early ?
    I love fans that post and don't know what they're talking about like you two. No one had a book on Taylor at the beginning of the season. He clearly worsened as the year came along. Now that teams have tape on him, they will shut him down next season. See Colin Kaepernik.

LBers are a dime a dozen. QBs are not.

14. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (04-08-2016),Mike (04-10-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's been how long since the Bills had a franchise QB? And people are *****ing about drafting one early? I like Taylor, but, if there is a QB there that is a good value, you draft him. It the most important position on the field.

16. Post thanked by:

Beebe (04-09-2016),BertSquirtgum (04-08-2016),gebobs (04-06-2016),swiper (04-06-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,215 Times in 3,684 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Note the draft position for Lynch, lets drop back and get a 2nd / 5th(4th if possible).

Thanks
    Thanked 3,431 Times in 2,008 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If Lynch is so good and a franchise qb, why would he be available at #19? I don't see a team with a huge need at qb like the Rams passing on Lynch if the potential to be legit is there.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Who's to say the Jets don't take him in the first?

The good news for the Bills is, they’re picking a spot ahead of their division-rival Jets, who also have some interest in a quarterback for down the road, whether they end up signing Ryan Fitzpatrick or not.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rterback-rock/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    If Lynch is so good and a franchise qb, why would he be available at #19? I don't see a team with a huge need at qb like the Rams passing on Lynch if the potential to be legit is there.
    Rams will take whichever of Wendt/Goff that is left on the board by the Browns.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,431 Times in 2,008 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Who's to say the Jets don't take him in the first?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rterback-rock/

- - - Updated - - -

Rams will take whichever of Wendt/Goff that is left on the board by the Browns.
    So the 9ers don't need a qb anymore? Every mock I've seen has both Wentz and Goff going in the top 10.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Because no franchise QB has ever made it past 19? Aaron Rodgers? And that's just the first name that popped in my head. I'm sure I could come up with a big list if I felt like spending 5 minutes on it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Cardale Jones is making a visit to B-lo.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If the bills draft Paxton, I wouldn't blame them. We're still loking for Kelly's replacement. A top OL , Dt ,etc isn't going to mean anything if you don't have a franchise qb. As the patriots who keep winning without a Wilfork, Revis etc.

The Ravens D when they won a sb or last years broncos D that won them a sb does not happen often. A franchise qb like Brady will make us their beeyotch often.

The only thing I worry about Paxton is that he sounds like a white version of EJ coming out . A project with all the physical tools . Plus the very same people that scouted Ej are the same ones that are scouting Paxton. I just hope that Buddy Nix was the reason Whaley was forced to pull the trigger on EJ
    Last edited by justasportsfan; 04-06-2016 at 03:39 PM.

24. Post thanked by:

Mr. Cynical (04-15-2016),Slick (04-10-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

1983 Jim Kelly #14 and Dan Marino #27... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_NFL_draft#Round_one

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post

If the coaches are not sure about Tyrod then you find a qb. If you're not sure that Tyrod can fix his short to medium range game, you draft a qb. All Tyrod has shown in his passing game it that he can throw deep to Watkins. Kinda like JP did with Lee .