Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cardale Jones Highlights

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Cardale Jones Highlights

I hope that Tyrod gets hurt (not seriously) causing him to miss 1-2 games and EJ steps in and performs great and helps us to a couple of wins. Then trade him for a couple of draft picks later in the year and promote Cardale to backup.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,690 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

To call the last pick in the 4th round who has tremendous physical talent a "horrendous pick" is a lot of hyperbole. Any pick that late is going to be full of issues and isn't likely to be anything but potential depth player. And saying he only has a big arm really isn't true. He did have a 11-0 record as a starter. And while record in college is a way overvalued statistic, it also isn't totally meaningless.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

3. Post thanked by:

Night Train (05-05-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 574 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by bdutton View Post
    I hope that Tyrod gets hurt (not seriously) causing him to miss 1-2 games and EJ steps in and performs great and helps us to a couple of wins. Then trade him for a couple of draft picks later in the year and promote Cardale to backup.
    What ?? ... you want our only decent QB to get hurt to then hope for a miracle (EJ playing well) so we can trade him for picks ??

Why not just hope for Taylor to not get hurt, be solid, get some wins and **** getting picks ??

Some fans are weird.

5. Post thanked by:

ParanoidAndroid (05-05-2016),sahlensguy (05-04-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Vic, he would have done the same with whatever QB they would have taken, and you have the off chance he's less married to a 4th round pick than a 1,2 or 3, and I still don't think any of the earlier ones are all that good either.

Have no issue agreeing that I'm not convinced Whaley has a clue about QBs.

If you're saying he shouldn't have taken one at all, I might waffle, because you might be right, if he HAD to take one it didn't matter (imho), may as well go for highest "possible" upside as late as possible or you wouldn't have gotten Lawson, Ragland and Washington. Now I'm not a big fan of Washington atm, but I'm all in on him if you give me the option of taking a qb there instead.
    Not at all. I wanted us to take one. Just not that one. Jones is sooooooo bad dude. Soooooo bad. We took a guy with 11 career starts who wasn't a team captain and was benched. Some player huh ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    If he's that terrible, there are more maybe QB's next year for Whaley to probably be in charge of picking with his crapshoot eye. If you look at Ryan who also isn't going anywhere, he's not so sharp with QB's either.

Hope for the best and spare yourself the pain until something else happens at this point. No helping it.
    IT won't matter how many QB come out next year. We won't take one. Guaran ****ing teed.

7. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (05-04-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6 View Post
    There was this QB once, he was drafted in the 3rd round. Nobody thought much of him and rode the pine for a year and three quarters until he played. He had time to learn the offense and adapt his skills to the pro game. His name was Joe Montana.

There are numerous other examples as well as examples of players that were thrown in the fire too early and never developed. In those cases we can never know if they were brought along slowly if they would have been more successful.
    Hey moon man good to hear from ya.

The fact that you had to go back almost 40 years for the Montana example speaks volumes. For every one of those there are 50 or more nobodies that never developed. The guy isn't even a QB for ****s sake. He just has a strong arm and a big body. That is all. What QB worth half a **** gets benched and isn't named team captain ??? .... I'm all for drafting a guy and hoping for the miracle. Its just that in this case it would be THE miracle of a lifetime. Jones' chances of succeeding are about as slim as hitting the lottery.

Question ? .... how many games did Montana start in college ? I honestly don't know but I bet my entire worth that it was more than 11.

Just the idea of saying a raw player can't do it is ridiculous and shows the asinine attitude of the modern football fan. People that have never competed on the gridiron and wouldn't know a shoulder pad from a bedpan.

Cardale Jones may indeed not make it in the NFL, but it was a fourth round pick. Not lot of risk and the reward could be high because of his tools. (Looks durable and has a live arm). At the end of the day, crying about draft picks before they have a year or two in a system shows lack of understanding let alone before their first training camp.

Of course, the Fan's need to be correct and then brag about it on social media supercedes anything else.
    I don't care about the 4th rounder used on him. I knew people wouldn't read my post properly. I really don't care about that pick being "wasted".

This is about Whaley not picking another QB for at least 2 possibly 3 more years (if Taylor fails). He will hold on to dear life for Cardale to develop. That's my problem with this pick. It will keep us from getting another guy.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,360 Times in 3,839 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Victor7 View Post

This is about Whaley not picking another QB for at least 2 possibly 3 more years (if Taylor fails). He will hold on to dear life for Cardale to develop. That's my problem with this pick. It will keep us from getting another guy.
    Considering it's Tyrod's contact year, it is make it or break it for him. If he wants to sign for more than Whaley thinks he is worth, there isn't a shot in hell Whaley will go into next year with Cardale add the #1 option. Not a shot in hell.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    Considering it's Tyrod's contact year, it is make it or break it for him. If he wants to sign for more than Whaley thinks he is worth, there isn't a shot in hell Whaley will go into next year with Cardale add the #1 option. Not a shot in hell.
    I would love to believe that. But I just don't.

He was more than willing to do so with Manuel and Cassel last year. Taylor was all Rex.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Pmoon6 wrote:

> There was this QB once, he was drafted in the 3rd round. Nobody thought much of him and rode the pine for a year and three quarters until he played. He had time to learn the offense and adapt his skills to the pro game. His name was Joe Montana.

Back in the '70s, most offensive coordinators in the NFL sought to build the following type of offense: run the ball and throw deep passes. If the defense put seven men in the box, you ran the ball. If they put eight men in the box, you burned them with the deep pass. Offensive coordinators said, "use the run to set up the pass," by which they meant that their deep passing game would be more successful, once the running game had forced defenses to add an eighth man to the box.

In order for a QB to be successful in an offense like that, he needs a big time arm. An arm like Terry Bradshaw's arm. Joe Montana didn't have that type of arm. Even though he'd been a very accurate passer in college, he wasn't drafted until the third round, due to his lack of physical gifts.

Cardale Jones is the exact opposite of that. The only reason he was drafted is because of his great physical gifts. You give him physical tools that are decent but not spectacular--think Trent Edwards-type physical tools--and he would have gone undrafted.

12. Post thanked by:

Victor7 (05-04-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,360 Times in 3,839 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I would love to believe that. But I just don't.

He was more than willing to do so with Manuel and Cassel last year. Taylor was all Rex.
    Su muy loco amigo.

There is a better chance that I get Rex Ryan tattooed on my ass, than there is of Jones being the #1 option next year.

Just how many snaps do you think he will get this year anyway?

14. Post thanked by:

Victor7 (05-04-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Maybe so. the point is it's too early to tell. Maybe Whaley plans to turn him into a TE.
    And he's going to sign you to play safety.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    To call the last pick in the 4th round who has tremendous physical talent a "horrendous pick" is a lot of hyperbole. Any pick that late is going to be full of issues and isn't likely to be anything but potential depth player. And saying he only has a big arm really isn't true. He did have a 11-0 record as a starter. And while record in college is a way overvalued statistic, it also isn't totally meaningless.
    It was a horrendous pick in the sense that the it was not an area of need (at that point given the talent left at that position) at that time as much as a DB or O-lineman was.

With that particular pick you have a much, much, much higher chance of taking a DB or OL that will contribute more so than this clown will.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    Su muy loco amigo.

There is a better chance that I get Rex Ryan tattooed on my ass, than there is of Jones being the #1 option next year.

Just how many snaps do you think he will get this year anyway?
    I hope he gets zero. I hope he doesn't even make the roster.

But anyway. As long as Taylor stays healthy and performs this is all a moot point. But if for some reason the plan falters we will see Cardale. What's the point of playing EJ anymore ? .... The entire human population knows he sucks.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I hope he gets zero. I hope he doesn't even make the roster.

But anyway. As long as Taylor stays healthy and performs this is all a moot point. But if for some reason the plan falters we will see Cardale. What's the point of playing EJ anymore ? .... The entire human population knows he sucks.
    I'm sorry, but that's stupid.

You would rather be correct in your analysis than your favorite team find a productive player?

How absurd and arrogant.

19. Post thanked by:

Night Train (05-05-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Dr. Lecter [addressing Victor7] wrote:

> You would rather be correct in your analysis than your favorite team find a productive player?

I could be wrong, but I took Victor7's post to mean that he does want the Bills to find a productive player at QB. He wants that QB to be productive enough to take Cardale Jones' roster spot away from him. If you're 100% convinced Cardale was a wasted pick--as I am, and as I believe Victor7 to be--then the sooner the Bills find some other QB good enough to take Cardale's roster spot away from him, the sooner we'll move forward at the QB position.

Not that we've done much "moving forward" at the QB position ever since the day Kelly hung up his cleats.

21. Post thanked by:

swiper (05-05-2016),Victor7 (05-06-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm sorry, but that's stupid.

You would rather be correct in your analysis than your favorite team find a productive player?

How absurd and arrogant.
    I believe that's what he projects is going to happen, based on the lack of success, being benched, etc that Jones had in the minor leagues (aka NCAA).
    Last edited by swiper; 05-05-2016 at 10:45 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Then say "I think" and not "I hope".

Two entirely different things.

24. Post thanked by:

Victor7 (05-06-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    I believe that's what he projects is going to happen, based on the lack of success, being benched, etc that Jones had in the minor leagues (aka NCAA).
    Lack of success? He stormed through the big 10 title, national semifinals, and national championship game. Sure it's a very small sample and it would be more accurate to say that it wasn't sustained, but to say he was unsuccessful is asinine.

I'm not a huge fan of Jones either. However, I don't think it's a big deal that he was drafted AS THE LAST PICK OF THE 4TH ROUND. You act as if he was a 2nd rounder! It's a very low risk, high reward pick. If he sucks, you cut him and lose nothing. He's nothing to get fired up over either way.

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by bdutton View Post
    I hope that Tyrod gets hurt (not seriously) causing him to miss 1-2 games and EJ steps in and performs great and helps us to a couple of wins. Then trade him for a couple of draft picks
    ...and then trade those picks to Edmonton for Taylor Hall.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

27. Post thanked by:

Dr. Lecter (05-05-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jry44 View Post
    Lack of success? He stormed through the big 10 title, national semifinals, and national championship game. Sure it's a very small sample and it would be more accurate to say that it wasn't sustained, but to say he was unsuccessful is asinine.

I'm not a huge fan of Jones either. However, I don't think it's a big deal that he was drafted AS THE LAST PICK OF THE 4TH ROUND. You act as if he was a 2nd rounder! It's a very low risk, high reward pick. If he sucks, you cut him and lose nothing. He's nothing to get fired up over either way.
    If this guy hadn't played for Urban Meyer and the team he built, you would never had heard of him. Keep on with your biased attitude.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,946 Times in 3,498 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

In this case I think it is. Jeff Tuel would have gone 10-1, 11-0 on OSU. EJ won all his bowl games. I would have rather had the potential depth player but that's just me. Somebody like this:
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profil...man?id=2555131