Clear All
  • Swiper
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2010

Re: Thread lookback: 2016 draft view

Originally posted by John Doe View Post
    Bradham: 57 total tackles, 42 solo, 1 sack

Mario: 19 total tackles, 15 solo, 5 Sacks

Pretty impossible to beat those powerhouse stats.
    You have to look at the year before. Rex ruined those two in 2015.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

I wouldn't expect Lawson to get more than 5-6 sacks, unless he really racks them up against one or two teams to skew the total.

Ragland should easily top 100 tackles.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• John Doe
        Florida Man
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
        You have to look at the year before. Rex ruined those two in 2015.
        Why stop there. Why not dig up the stats for Bruce Smith and Cornelius Bennet.

I'm looking at what Williams and Bradham did in Rex's scheme because that is the production that the rookies will be replacing.

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

I think you have to look at this draft from two perspectives because to me their goal completely changed mid-draft.

The first two rounds were about finding immediate starters who could bring a Day 1 impact.

After that every single pick was a high upside big potential player who is he develops properly becomes a huge steal. With the amount of impact they are likely to get from Lawson and Ragland, I'm ok with the top tier potential approach they went the rest of the way. At best they added 4 potential starters down the road, at worst they got some decent depth players.
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Mace
            Haha...yeah you think so ?
            • Mar 2013

Well...

R1 : DE Lawson : I am delighted, was the best choice (to me). I think people are going to love him.

R2 : LB Ragland : I like Ragland, think he could well be the best LB we've had here in a long time. I wouldn't have traded up for him. At their normal spot I'd have considered Whitehair (G), Reed (DT), Ragland (if there), Cravens (S/OLB) or Vonn Bell (S).

R3 : DT Washington : Don't like it. As things developed I'd have taken Billings or Javon Hargrave instead.

R4 : QB Jones : If I had to take a QB, Jones is the one, and this is right where I'd have grabbed him if I had two 4th round picks. If they wouldn't have traded up for Ragland, earlier in the round I'd have taken OT Willie Beavers or Alex Lewis, or maybe even Joe Haeg or John Theus.

R5 : RB Williams : Don't like it. G Westermann & Drango, OT Fahn Cooper, WR Rashard Higgins, and TE Jerell Adams are still there. He can dominate preseason games, I think that's all you'll see from Williams.

R6 : WR Listenbee : I really like this pick though I wouldn't have taken him had I gotten WR Higgins or TE Adams. If I'd have taken one of them, depends on all of the above, SS Kearse, G Vadal Alexander, WR's Peake & Lawler, LB's Wright & Matakevich were still handy, depending.

R6(2) Seymour : Don't like it. SS Kearse, G Vadal Alexander, WR's Peake & Lawler, LB's Wright & Matakevich were still handy, depending.

Comment

• stuckincincy
              Buffalo Bills Fan
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
              I think you have to look at this draft from two perspectives because to me their goal completely changed mid-draft.

The first two rounds were about finding immediate starters who could bring a Day 1 impact.

After that every single pick was a high upside big potential player who is he develops properly becomes a huge steal. With the amount of impact they are likely to get from Lawson and Ragland, I'm ok with the top tier potential approach they went the rest of the way. At best they added 4 potential starters down the road, at worst they got some decent depth players.
              Oh I agree. Good job for the 1st 3 picks.

After that, the only high upside players I wanted to see were OL prospects. There are folks who post on this board who have never seen a BUF OL that doesn't carry some sort of question mark - year after year.

A WR? For what? For Taylor to run around when an ounce of pressure comes his way, then fling one down the sidelines? Get yer QB position settled first, get yer WRs second.

A RB? Why? They paid $$$$ for McCoy. Plucked a RB from another club's PS a while back.

Sorry - just venting
              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                Dances With Buffaloes
                • Sep 2002

First of all, I'm not going to blame Whaley for not getting a QB. The only one worth picking in the whole draft wasn't on the board when our second pick came up (and frankly I wasn't thrilled with him in round 1 anyway), and while others may have wanted us to overdraft players like Prescott and that penn state bust, I'll tell you right now, neither will ever make it in the NFL.

I've been a harsh critic of Whaley in the past but I can't hate on this draft for most of it. About the only thing I would have liked is for the bills to have bolstered that OL a little bit more. Setting that aside, I don't really have any complaints about this draft.

R1 : DE Lawson : great pick. this guy should have been off the board in the top 10, EVEN if that shoulder is an issue, this is a great pickup. Our run defense is a big problem, he's a great run defender. He's also a very good pass rusher. Not often you can find a DE/OLB who can hold the edge against the rush AND rush the passer. Great pickup.

R2 : LB Ragland : If anything this might end up being the best pick in this draft. I loved watching him in college. He doesn't seem to get caught in traffic, he's a monster in the middle of the field, has good range sideline to sideline. If he has a weakness it's I don't like him in man coverage, but he does just fine in zone. One position that was really hurting last year was our ILBs were both atrocious. This was position no.1 on my list of needs for this squad, and I think he'll be a day one starter.

R3 : DT Washington : Great pick for round 3, If I have one problem with it, it's while he should be a starter at DE now, he probably can't start as a true 3-4 NT which is a bigger need then DE, for a few years and another 20-30 pounds. That said he probably could play NT down the road. He's built like one.

R4 : QB Jones : meh. he's basically EJ without 3 years of starting experience. VERY RAW. that said who knows what a few years on a bench will do.

R5 : RB Williams : meh, this pick smells of "best player availible", I can't blame them for taking him as by the time you hit round 5 the talent usually is so thin you're just praying they'll make the squad by this point. I would have liked a OL, but clearly they didn't like what was on the board.

R6 : WR Listenbee : Speed never hurts. You can teach a WR how to run routes, and how to catch. you can't teach them how to run fast. depends how much he wants it, but this could be a surprise day one starter as a utility guy if his hands prove reliable.

R6 : DB Seymour : I think he was picked to play safety, one thing is for sure, he'll never make it in the NFL at CB.

Overall this one is my favorite Whaley draft.
                My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

Seymour has the speed to play the back end in C1 shells, but I'm not sure he's a good enough tackler to be an effective safety. IMO he may be more of a nickelback type.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Don't Panic
                    All-Pro Zoner
                    • Dec 2005

Lawson - great pick, especially at 19. I think he has a pretty high ceiling that should result in flirtations with the Pro Bowl every year at his peak. Has the potential to be the 2nd best player on our D.

Ragland - love him. I worry a little bit about the coverage skills, but he could end up being an above average ILB in a couple years.

Washington - don't know a ton, but I like that we got a more dynamic tackle than a one trick pony (a la a NT). Rex's D requires versatility and he seems to have it. Playing next to Dareus and a healthy Williams will be fantastic for him. I bet he's starting by the end of the year and helping to assure that our front 7 has no weak spot.

Jones - I have my doubts about his ability to put it all together and be an NFL starter some day, but I think he's worth the gamble at the end of the 4th. It's an ideal situation for him, and I love that he'll have a stand up guy like EJ giving him a few years of perspective (from the bench) to accelerate his learning. May end up being EJ's greatest contribution in his Bills tenure outside of the Carolina game a couple years back. I give him about a 15% chance of being a better than average starter some day. We'll see what his head is made of in these next few years.

Williams and Listenbee seem like worthy gambles. Who knows on Seymour. My only knock was I'd have liked to have seen an OL (would have been great at the 4th we traded away, but that said I'm happy with Ragland and feel he was worth what was given up). Overall I give the draft an A-.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
                      First of all, I'm not going to blame Whaley for not getting a QB. The only one worth picking in the whole draft wasn't on the board when our second pick came up (and frankly I wasn't thrilled with him in round 1 anyway), and while others may have wanted us to overdraft players like Prescott and that penn state bust, I'll tell you right now, neither will ever make it in the NFL.

I've been a harsh critic of Whaley in the past but I can't hate on this draft for most of it. About the only thing I would have liked is for the bills to have bolstered that OL a little bit more. Setting that aside, I don't really have any complaints about this draft.

R1 : DE Lawson : great pick. this guy should have been off the board in the top 10, EVEN if that shoulder is an issue, this is a great pickup. Our run defense is a big problem, he's a great run defender. He's also a very good pass rusher. Not often you can find a DE/OLB who can hold the edge against the rush AND rush the passer. Great pickup.

R2 : LB Ragland : If anything this might end up being the best pick in this draft. I loved watching him in college. He doesn't seem to get caught in traffic, he's a monster in the middle of the field, has good range sideline to sideline. If he has a weakness it's I don't like him in man coverage, but he does just fine in zone. One position that was really hurting last year was our ILBs were both atrocious. This was position no.1 on my list of needs for this squad, and I think he'll be a day one starter.

R3 : DT Washington : Great pick for round 3, If I have one problem with it, it's while he should be a starter at DE now, he probably can't start as a true 3-4 NT which is a bigger need then DE, for a few years and another 20-30 pounds. That said he probably could play NT down the road. He's built like one.

R4 : QB Jones : meh. he's basically EJ without 3 years of starting experience. VERY RAW. that said who knows what a few years on a bench will do.

R5 : RB Williams : meh, this pick smells of "best player availible", I can't blame them for taking him as by the time you hit round 5 the talent usually is so thin you're just praying they'll make the squad by this point. I would have liked a OL, but clearly they didn't like what was on the board.

R6 : WR Listenbee : Speed never hurts. You can teach a WR how to run routes, and how to catch. you can't teach them how to run fast. depends how much he wants it, but this could be a surprise day one starter as a utility guy if his hands prove reliable.

R6 : DB Seymour : I think he was picked to play safety, one thing is for sure, he'll never make it in the NFL at CB.

Overall this one is my favorite Whaley draft.
                      Two things:

1. The one thing that I see a lot of people under selling on Ragland is his blitzing ability on passing downs. A lot of commentators have talked about how he is a 2 down LB only but he is a good blitzer who can play in the middle or off the edge in a Nickle package.

2. Listenbee's Route Tree is far more developed than Goodwin's ever was or is. TCU doesn't run a complicated offense but he's got 4-5 of the routes down pretty good compared to the 1-2 that Goodwin has.
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                        • Sep 2012

2. Listenbee's Route Tree is far more developed than Goodwin's ever was or is. TCU doesn't run a complicated offense but he's got 4-5 of the routes down pretty good compared to the 1-2 that Goodwin has.
                        Listenbee also has a bigger frame then Goodwin. Unless you are really slippery or lucky, 180 pounders seem to have trouble in the NFL. Listenbee is up in the ODB, Golden Tate, Jeremy Maclin, Robert Woods range at 197 so he should hopefully have an easier time surviving the season.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• cookie G
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post
                          It would be surprising if two rookies equalled Nigel's and even Mario's production. This and we did nothing for our 3rd down or passing defense. 2 steps sideways is optimistic.
                          That's why I said, "at best".

Comment

• cookie G
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by John Doe View Post
                            Bradham: 57 total tackles, 42 solo, 1 sack

Mario: 19 total tackles, 15 solo, 5 Sacks

Pretty impossible to beat those powerhouse stats.
                            That's a pretty tunnel visioned view.

What you are needing to replace is the production they had before Rex got here and needlessly changed the defense.

Bad managers do that in companies all the time. They change a system where people are set up to fail and then try to use the newest numbers, under their own failed system, to justify their lack of productivity.

The true benchmark is their productivity before changes were made:

Bradham

104 tackles
                            6 passes defended
                            2 ff
                            1 int
                            2.5 sacks

Williams

42 tackles
                            14.5 sacks

That's how you have to measure this draft.

And I will ask again...how many "good" drafts will be needed to bring the D back to its 2014 level?

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                              That's a pretty tunnel visioned view.

What you are needing to replace is the production they had before Rex got here and needlessly changed the defense.

Bad managers do that in companies all the time. They change a system where people are set up to fail and then try to use the newest numbers, under their own failed system, to justify their lack of productivity.

The true benchmark is their productivity before changes were made:

Bradham

104 tackles
                              6 passes defended
                              2 ff
                              1 int
                              2.5 sacks

Williams

42 tackles
                              14.5 sacks

That's how you have to measure this draft.

And I will ask again...how many "good" drafts will be needed to bring the D back to its 2014 level?
                              2-3
                              COMING SOON...

Comment

• cookie G
                                • Mar 2003

2-3
                                Which would put us at 0-18 to 0-19 in playoff appearances.

I LOVE THIS PLAN!!

Comment

Working...
                                X