Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QB Jones won’t alter EJ’s spot on depth chart in 2016

Thanks
    Thanked 30,557 Times in 17,441 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

QB Jones won’t alter EJ’s spot on depth chart in 2016

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2016/0...n-depth-chart/

Bills GM Doug Whaley said Jones will come in as the team’s third quarterback and get to work on building his game from the ground up after making just 11 starts and attempting just 270 passes in his college career. Whaley also said they feel more than comfortable with Manuel as their backup to Tyrod Taylor.

“Very comfortable,” said Whaley. “If you look around the league we think he’s as good a number two as most out there."
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: QB Jones won’t alter EJ’s spot on depth chart in 2016

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thats the way it should be. Lots of people hate EJ as a starter, but for now he'll do as a backup. I would trust him more than Jones as a backup, Jones needs time to learn he shouldn't really touch the field this year.

4. Post thanked by:

Yasgur's Farm (05-01-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,330 Times in 3,811 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Mentoring is something EJ should be good at and as some people come into thier own only after they become a parent, this could help his own game.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

LOL. Whaley has turned EJ into a mentor for Jones. Talk about trouble.

7. Post thanked by:

Slick (05-01-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

EJ was going to be a Bill for another year anyway Swiper. Mentoring is one thing he might actually be GOOD at.

9. Post thanked by:

Mace (05-01-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    EJ was going to be a Bill for another year anyway Swiper. Mentoring is one thing he might actually be GOOD at.
    Or maybe its the Bills version of "the blind leading the blind" !

" I'd try to see things from your point of view but..........there's only room up your a** for one head ! "

11. Post thanked by:

Albany,n.y. (05-02-2016),Lone Stranger (05-01-2016),Mace (05-01-2016),Slick (05-01-2016),WagonCircler (05-01-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 24,454 Times in 14,166 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No reason he should. Jones should be inactive all year as the #3 QB barring injury.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

13. Post thanked by:

Mace (05-01-2016)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    No reason he should. Jones should be inactive all year as the #3 QB barring injury.
    Perhaps...remember, this is a club that carried 2 kickers. Hmm...can Jones kick off? A hidden talent?
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Might be the blind leading the blind, might help, might not mean anything at all, but Manuel with his guaranteed salary and incapable of being Johnny Manziel is going nowhere in any case. Manuel is not so much bad as he is not good. Jones should get a year on the pines without pressure, and use it well.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Might be the blind leading the blind, might help, might not mean anything at all, but Manuel with his guaranteed salary and incapable of being Johnny Manziel is going nowhere in any case. Manuel is not so much bad as he is not good. Jones should get a year on the pines without pressure, and use it well.
    It's a fair question as to whether a pine infusion will help. It was brutal watching him last season with OSU. Urban Meyer gave him tons of chances, to the point that even a reliable but casual watcher of OSU games like me - wondered why he was still on the field. Announcers scratched their heads, too. Game after game.

It will be fantastic if he pans out, but football has been played a long time...it's like a four-act play that's run for over a hundred years. There's not much new. Jones simply didn't impress.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    It's a fair question as to whether a pine infusion will help. It was brutal watching him last season with OSU. Urban Meyer gave him tons of chances, to the point that even a reliable but casual watcher of OSU games like me - wondered why he was still on the field. Announcers scratched their heads, too. Game after game.

It will be fantastic if he pans out, but football has been played a long time...it's like a four-act play that's run for over a hundred years. There's not much new. Jones simply didn't impress.
    Well, it was an offense for a JT Barrett, not a Cardale Jones.

Maybe our offense is for a JT Barrett and not a Cardale Jones too, I don't know. To me, Jones had impressive moments. They all have impressive moments in college. Anyone else this QB class gonna shine ? I doubt it.

18. Post thanked by:

SaviorEdwards (05-01-2016)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Well, it was an offense for a JT Barrett, not a Cardale Jones.

Maybe our offense is for a JT Barrett and not a Cardale Jones too, I don't know. To me, Jones had impressive moments. They all have impressive moments in college. Anyone else this QB class gonna shine ? I doubt it.
    It wasn't an offense designed for any particular qb. OSU most always is stocked with decent OL talent, Defensive talent, running backs, half-way decent wrs. They get recruits from as far away as the planet Pluto. It doesn't take much to be an OSU QB. Bert, Ernie, and Elmo would suffice.

Meyer doggedly started Jones, kept him too long IMO, and finally yanked him.

OSU has never been accused of being a QB "factory." To my knowledge, the few OSU QBs to hit the pro game never even sniffed an All-Pro/All-Pro honor.

Why are you going to bat for this guy? It would be great if he proved the exception to history, but...
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 05-01-2016 at 09:50 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It wasn't an offense designed for any particular qb. OSU most always is stocked with decent OL talent, Defensive talent, running backs, half-way decent wrs. They get recruits from as far away as the planet Pluto. It doesn't take much to be an OSU QB. Bert, Ernie, and Elmo would suffice.

OSU has never been accused of being a QB "factory." To my knowledge, the few OSU QBs to hit the pro game never even sniffed an All-Pro/All-Pro honor.

Why are you going to bat for this guy? It would be great if he proved the exception to history, but...
    Actually, yes it is an offense designed for spread-option QBs not pro style QBs. Cardale was recruited by Tressel not Urban. Wow, some of the analysis of Jones on this message board is really out there. I don't know if he'll be a success, but people need to come in with at least some basic knowledge. Losing Tom Herman to Houston also really hurt Cardle's growth going into the 2015 season.
    "The best things to happen to Michigan Football have come from Ohio." - Chris Spielman

21. Post thanked by:

Mace (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 24,454 Times in 14,166 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

That's not true, both Meyer and the OC at OSU have come out and said that the offense was never changed from what was designed to fit Miller/Barrett to be more catered to Jones. He had some really bad moments last year no doubt about that. However, given his limited number of snaps I don't thing anybody can go to bat either way on this player.

What we have is a really raw ball of clay. Whether it ever becomes anything more than that is on Jones, Palmer, Lee, and Roman.

23. Post thanked by:

Mace (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Say what you will about EJ on the field, but he is young, well behaved and a great professional. A perfect mentor for Jones.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The thing that scares me the most about this is Whaley's comment regarding EJ.

26. Post thanked by:

Historian (05-02-2016),Night Train (05-02-2016),Slick (05-02-2016)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,291 Times in 15,441 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    The thing that scares me the most about this is Whaley's comment regarding EJ.
    I agree.

It would be London all over.

28. Post thanked by:

Slick (05-02-2016)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,062 Times in 4,266 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    I agree.

It would be London all over.
    That was the most frustrated I've been watching a Bills game in a long time. My screaming was split between EJ throwing pick after pick and the complete dog poop streaming of Yahoo!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    That's not true, both Meyer and the OC at OSU have come out and said that the offense was never changed from what was designed to fit Miller/Barrett to be more catered to Jones. He had some really bad moments last year no doubt about that. However, given his limited number of snaps I don't thing anybody can go to bat either way on this player.

What we have is a really raw ball of clay. Whether it ever becomes anything more than that is on Jones, Palmer, Lee, and Roman.
    Have any specifics on Jones' demotion? On the start sheet I see a > 62% completion rate and an 8 to 5 td to int ratio. Not terrible.