Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The 2013 Draft-after three full seasons

Thanks
    Thanked 30,525 Times in 17,418 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The 2013 Draft-after three full seasons

I love going back thru old draft threads...

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/arc...f-2-p-328.html
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

2. Post thanked by:

Mace (05-02-2016)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,488 Times in 9,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    Not when he's drafted and not when he replaced Bledsoe. Brady's adequate arm more or less developed in his 3rd/th year in NFL
    Belichick sheltered him at the start with a running game and didn't take the reins off until he was comfortable. Brady always had the same arm, just wasn't so prepared to use it early in his career. Weak armed QB's don't suddenly get strong arms, they stay weak armed short ball QB's.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalogic View Post
    Horrible draft but 2013 was a bust fest
    Wow, that was godawful up and down the board. Thanks for the link.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,488 Times in 9,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I love going back thru old draft threads...

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/arc...f-2-p-328.html
    You should, they're awesome with people forgetting what they said about who and never admitting it. I still pretty much remember who I liked when and why, whether or not they worked. I thought Losman was a great pick to replace the statue Bledsoe, because they said they wanted to run and gun, then made him into a statue instead. Looking back on it, even when he tried to run and gun without permission it went badly. Bad pick I thought was great at the time. I admit it. Wasn't on any boards back then, but freely admit I thought Polian was the dumbest GM hire, installing Levy the stupidest HC hire, etc etc....

I find it funny to look back at my own mindset sometimes.

6. Post thanked by:

YardRat (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,525 Times in 17,418 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    You should, they're awesome with people forgetting what they said about who and never admitting it. I still pretty much remember who I liked when and why, whether or not they worked. I thought Losman was a great pick to replace the statue Bledsoe, because they said they wanted to run and gun, then made him into a statue instead. Looking back on it, even when he tried to run and gun without permission it went badly. Bad pick I thought was great at the time. I admit it. Wasn't on any boards back then, but freely admit I thought Polian was the dumbest GM hire, installing Levy the stupidest HC hire, etc etc....

I find it funny to look back at my own mindset sometimes.

I really didn't like the Levy hire myself, and remember wishing they would cut Reich and Beebe during preseasons.

8. Post thanked by:

Mace (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 606 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I know most of you love a good circle jerk but it was actually a terrible draft for most teams.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...190443294.html

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 4,183 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

C: Kiko netted us McCoy, Woods seemed like a sure fire and EJ was the best of a bad class.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Because he's horrible.

Making a good pick and flipping a bad pick are two entirely different moves.
    Obviously.

But without the Sheppard pick, we wouldn't have Hughes though...or we'd have to give up something else to get him. I consider the trade as an act of redemption, and I can't help but make the link between the two players. Drafting Sheppard wound up getting us Hughes. Yeah, it was two different moves, but the net result of the pick was Hughes. It was not a wasted pick. That's the way I look at it. And you can't stop me!

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Obviously.

But without the Sheppard pick, we wouldn't have Hughes though...or we'd have to give up something else to get him. I consider the trade as an act of redemption, and I can't help but make the link between the two players. Drafting Sheppard wound up getting us Hughes. Yeah, it was two different moves, but the net result of the pick was Hughes. It was not a wasted pick. That's the way I look at it. And you can't stop me!
    The question is not about a trade or any redemption. It's about the value of the pick in the draft. Hopefully, our general manager is not thinking, hey, this guy might not be a good fit but he'll make great trade bait.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,441 Times in 14,158 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Obviously.

Too many variables to say all of that. I understand the thought process though.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
    The question is not about a trade or any redemption. It's about the value of the pick in the draft. Hopefully, our general manager is not thinking, hey, this guy might not be a good fit but he'll make great trade bait.
    The question is about adapting. Hopefully, the General Manager is ALWAYS looking to upgrade the roster any way he can; in fact, that's his job. Nobody is going to hit on even half his picks...that's the thing he needs to understand, and I think he does. I mean it's obvious. Everyone should know this. I hope the GM thinks "Hey, this guy might great trade bait" if it reaches that point. That's how you get Jerry Hughes instead of Kelvin Sheppard.

I could look at it any way that I want. It makes sense to me that trading down for EJ eventually landed us McCoy, for example. Look at the progression.

Was Kelvin Sheppard a good pick? Of course not. Again, the question is about adapting. Drafting players isn't an exact science by a long shot. Everyone whiffs, and then it becomes what you do about the whiff. Most times you just have to eat it.

Just elementary, my dear Watson.
    Last edited by feldspar; 05-03-2016 at 07:11 AM.

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The question is about adapting. Hopefully, the General Manager is ALWAYS looking to upgrade the roster any way he can;
    That's fine. Let's evaluate then:

Drafting: Crummy
    Adapting: Super! (at least in this case)

in fact, that's his job. Nobody is going to hit on even half his picks
    The thread is about this draft. A lousy draft overall, by any account. And a particularly lousy one for the Bills regardless of whoever was responsible. What they did thereafter to salvage the team is fine but is not directly relevant to the value of the draft. The disclaimer always is you can't evaluate a draft for three years. Three years later, here we are. How did they do on draft day, not how did they do to salvage the draft day?

Was Kelvin Sheppard a good pick? Of course not. Again, the question is about adapting. Drafting players isn't an exact science by a long shot. Everyone whiffs, and then it becomes what you do about the whiff. Most times you just have to eat it.
    I agree. And the Bills are particularly bad at the whole gamut. Especially if you lend any credence to that study that says the Bills seemingly draft better than most teams, at least after the first round. Admittedly, Whaley has only been at the helm for three drafts now so next year we can look at 2014 to start. And overall, we can look back on 2016 and see if his efforts, drafting or otherwise, bear any fruit.
    Last edited by gebobs; 05-03-2016 at 07:45 AM.

Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin' Buffalogic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Spoiler: 2013 was a terrible draft class

Spoiler: 2013 was a bad draft for the bills