Will Cardale Jones Outperform EJ Manual In Training Camp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sudzy
    • Apr 2013

Re: Will Cardale Jones Outperform EJ Manual In Training Camp?

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
    I wouldn't jump to that conclusion.

Why would you say that Whaley can't evaluate QB talent based on the EJ pick? The idea was to draft the best QB in the 2013 draft, was it not? Isn't that what happened? I mean, who else was better than EJ Manuel in that draft? Anybody?

Mike Glennon. But, the point is, what GM would use a 1st rounder on a QB in one of the worst QB drafts? Anybody? Bueller?

Comment

• Arm of Harm
      • Dec 2015

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
      I wouldn't jump to that conclusion.

Why would you say that Whaley can't evaluate QB talent based on the EJ pick? The idea was to draft the best QB in the 2013 draft, was it not? Isn't that what happened? I mean, who else was better than EJ Manuel in that draft? Anybody?

The REAL issue was that the Bills were set on picking a QB early no matter what...no matter what the draft class looked like. I'm pretty sure the front office had an inkling of the state of QBs in that class, since they traded down at a point where no QBs were yet taken...and they were still able to get EJ at #16, where he was the first QB off the board. The way it worked out, the Bills got value in the second round with the trade-down.

So who was hell bent on picking a QB first? I can't tell you, but Buddy Nix was the GM then and talked about how he wanted the QB of the future in place before he left. The Bills just plain got too desperate, and THAT was the problem with the EJ pick, not evaluation per se.
      Buddy Nix was the GM when the Manuel pick was made. I assume the final call was Nix's. But my impression is also that Whaley gave Manuel a glowing evaluation--one of the factors which led up to Nix's selection.

After becoming GM, Whaley went "all in" on EJ. It was obvious Whaley was "high on EJ," especially if you look at his actions after becoming GM, his comments to Bills backer organizations, and even his comments to prospective head coaches. There is every reason to believe Whaley was sold on Manuel, and no reason to believe otherwise.

Manuel was the prototypical first round bust: great physical tools, limited achievements as a college pocket passer. Incompetent GMs love guys like that! Tim Tebow, J.P. Losman: they're all examples of that category of player. Ryan Leaf was described as less "polished" than Peyton Manning, but supposedly had the higher "upside" due to his better physical tools. Manning was supposed to be the QB for a team that wanted instant gratification (NFL-ready); whereas Leaf was the QB for a team willing to accept delayed gratification, due to being raw. Just as Manuel had been described as "raw."

The fact there wasn't good QB talent in Manuel's draft class sounds an awful lot like an excuse for the Bills having drafted Manuel. The fact of the matter is that there is no excuse. Anyone in the Bills organization who gave a good draft grade to Manuel needs to be canned. Scouts, the GM, or anyone in between. The reason the Bills have been a second- or third-tier franchise throughout most of their existence is because we haven't demanded first tier performance from our front offices or coaching staffs. That needs to change immediately. The most obvious place to start is Doug Whaley: the man who gave EJ a glowing draft evaluation, and who went all in on him after becoming GM.

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Arm of Harm View Post
        Buddy Nix was the GM when the Manuel pick was made. I assume the final call was Nix's.
        It was. His going away gift from Ralph/Brandon. Unforgivable.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
        X