Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Whaley started the internet on fire today

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Whaley started the internet on fire today

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Do you see McD's executives speaking out about the obesity epidemic? Do you see Foot Locker's CEO taking a stand against child labor? Do you see GM officials warning people of the dangers of climate change?
    Oh, so it's only OK if you turn a blind eye to all of the damage you're doing. That makes sense.

2. Post thanked by:

Boomstick (05-25-2016),Figster (05-25-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,371 Times in 3,847 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It wouldn't be easy to gain a competitive edge in any line of work, in which your GM just made this comment.

Thanks Whaley.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,314 Times in 13,736 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    That's not "supposed" context Mr. Weasel Words, that's the actual context. He was asked if Watkins was injury prone. He said he disagreed, because football is a violent sport that humans are not built to play, so injuries happen. And despite that, Watkins still has a good injury record, so he thought it wasn't an accurate description.

Claiming he's making some grand pronouncement about the sport and then further claiming that he's somehow unethical for continuing to work in the NFL is just ridiculous hyperbole.
    Claiming his statement doesn't have broader implications because he mentioned Watkins is being intentionally obtuse. Claiming it isn't unethical to profit off something he admits is harmful is just ridiculous.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,946 Times in 3,498 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah well, if you want to stick to the tobacco industry analogy, Whaley's the guy making huge profits selling cigarettes at his corner store while complaining about the health effects of smoking.

If he cared that much, he'd sell something else.
    Ok I see your take. The difference to me is if you grow up loving the game, built a career in it and then when you've found success you learn some harsh truths about player safety it's not easy to let go. Could you? Maybe he's still hopeful of some advances in safety, unlike tobacco where there's not much you can do with a cigarette.

6. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (05-25-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    Oh, so it's only OK if you turn a blind eye to all of the damage you're doing. That makes sense.
    I didn't say it makes it OK. Them being wrong too doesn't make Whaley right, and at least they're not being hypocrytes about it

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I didn't say it makes it OK. Them being wrong too doesn't make Whaley right, and at least they're not being hypocrytes about it
    But they are hypocrites, they're just liars too. You seem to just be upset that Whaley isn't claiming ignorance like the rest of them.

The executives at McDonald's know more about how they're causing obesity than probably anyone in the world, just like oil companies knew about climate change before anyone else did. The NFL probably knew about brain damage well before the general public did, too. They just claim ignorance.

Claiming his statement doesn't have broader implications because he mentioned Watkins is being intentionally obtuse. Claiming it isn't unethical to profit off something he admits is harmful is just ridiculous.
    It's only harmful to the people that sign up to be harmed. It's not ridiculous, and you can even argue that it's not unethical.

9. Post thanked by:

Boomstick (05-25-2016)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Is Watkins some kind of slave? No, he's a highly paid professional in a dangerous line of work. The broader implication of his statement is that people get injured while playing football and it's not fair to label them injury prone as a result.

Don't you train at an MMA gym? I thought you said you worked out with semi-pro fighters. Is your coach being unethical for taking money to train guys to hurt each other?

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

11. Post thanked by:

Boomstick (05-25-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Is Watkins some kind of slave? No, he's a highly paid professional in a dangerous line of work. The broader implication of his statement is that people get injured while playing football and it's not fair to label them injury prone as a result.

Don't you train at an MMA gym? I thought you said you worked out with semi-pro fighters. Is your coach being unethical for taking money to train guys to hurt each other?
    A risk of getting hurt is different than saying "human beings shouldn't do this" while profiting off it anyway.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    But they are hypocrites, they're just liars too. You seem to just be upset that Whaley isn't claiming ignorance like the rest of them.

The executives at McDonald's know more about how they're causing obesity than probably anyone in the world, just like oil companies knew about climate change before anyone else did. The NFL probably knew about brain damage well before the general public did, too. They just claim ignorance.

It's only harmful to the people that sign up to be harmed. It's not ridiculous, and you can even argue that it's not unethical.
    Whaley said "humans shouldn't do this." He thinks it's so bad that humans shouldn't be involved in it but he profits off it anyway.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

A risk of getting hurt is different than saying "human beings shouldn't do this" while profiting off it anyway.
    This is the "You didn't build that" silliness all over again.

15. Post thanked by:

Boomstick (05-25-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This is the "You didn't build that" silliness all over again.
    Huh?

Those were Whaley's words, not mine

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Holy ****.

A poor choice of words by Whaley, maybe...but you know damn well what he meant; that is, unless that stick up your ass goes farther up then I'd realized.

Talk about another non-issue.

All you're doing is arguing semantics, and you're going it in one of the most biased and stupid ways imaginable. Funny how you call yourself a fan of the Bills, yet all of your biases seem to actually be AGAINST the team.
    Last edited by feldspar; 05-25-2016 at 09:49 AM.

18. Post thanked by:

Boomstick (05-25-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Holy ****.

A poor choice of words, maybe...but you know damn well what he meant; that is, unless that stick up your ass goes farther up the I'd realized.

Talk about another non-issue.

All you're doing is arguing semantics, and you're going it in one of the most biased and stumped ways imaginable. Funny how you call yourself a fan of the Bills, yet all of your biases seem to actually be AGAINST the team.
    I don't know what he meant. I do know what he actually said because it was recorded. Its's a known fact, while you are presuming to know what he meant as if you can read his mind. Then you accuse me of being biased?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Huh?
    You don't remember Obama getting hammered for years over half a sentence taken out of context?

Those were Whaley's words, not mine
    Humans aren't supposed to play football. They get injured when they do.

Watkins plays football. He got injured. It is unfair to blame him for getting injured while engaging in a sport that injures people.

If you want even more context, listen to the interview. The Watkins question came after a several minute stretch where the hosts questioned him about Shaq Lawson's injury as well.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I don't know what he meant.
    Then why do you have anything to say about it?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Then why do you have anything to say about it?
    Oh Jesus.

Poor phrasing. I know what he said- if he intended it to mean something other than what he said, neither you nor I know what it is.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Oh Jesus.

Poor phrasing. I know what he said- if he intended it to mean something other than what he said, neither you nor I know what it is.
    It's obvious what he meant.

Did you listen to the interview?

Pinkerton's son Pinkerton Security's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I don't know what he meant. I do know what he actually said because it was recorded. Its's a known fact, while you are presuming to know what he meant as if you can read his mind. Then you accuse me of being biased?
    As always, there is more than 1 way to view what he said. And as always, you took it way out of context and as a way to complain about our FO.

Your claim is that Whaley is a bad person for making money off a sport which we can all agree is detrimental to human's health - if you care so much about these poor souls who are paid money to hurt themselves, then why watch it? Where do you draw the line?

25. Post thanked by:

Boomstick (05-25-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

27. Post thanked by:

Joe Fo Sho (05-25-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I don't know what he meant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Whaley
    Clearly I used a poor choice of words in my comment yesterday morning,” Whaley said in the statement. “As a former player who has the utmost respect and love for the game, the point that I was trying to make is that football is a physical game and injuries are a part of it. Playing football no doubt is very physically, mentally, and emotionally challenging, and that is all part of what make the game so compelling to play and watch. The game has more protection for players now than ever, thanks largely to the safety advancements and numerous rule changes made by our league and promoted to all levels of football. I believe our game continues to have a bright future and I hope that this statement provides clarity as to the intent of my earlier comment.
    There, now you know what he meant and should be able to see how ridiculous you're being.