Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Whaley started the internet on fire today

Registered User Scumbag College's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 698 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Whaley started the internet on fire today

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.2648308

"A question about Sammy Watkins, who is recovering from a broken foot, made Bills GM Doug Whaley turn philosophical about the sport he's involved in.

"This is the game of football," Whaley told WGR 550 radio on Tuesday. "Injuries are part of it. It's a violent game that I personally don't think humans are supposed to play."
    Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Thanks
    Thanked 26,214 Times in 13,680 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Whaley started the internet on fire today

He should be fired immediately- not for expressing an opinion but because he's willing to make millions off something he doesn't believe people should be doing. It's a complete lack of ethics.

Oh wait- Russ Brandon's his boss.

3. Post thanked by:

coastal (05-25-2016),Ingtar33 (05-25-2016),Mace (05-24-2016),sahlensguy (05-25-2016),sdbillsfan2 (05-24-2016),Skooby (05-25-2016),Slick (05-24-2016),trapezeus (05-25-2016),Victor7 (05-24-2016),WagonCircler (05-24-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 574 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This guy it just too much.

This is like a McDonalds top employee going on national TV and saying "Don't eat the food it ain't healthy!"

What a moron. And this is the guy that runs our teams ladies and gents.

5. Post thanked by:

Generalissimus Gibby (05-25-2016),sahlensguy (05-25-2016),Slick (05-24-2016)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,471 Times in 9,175 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This organization is just getting more bizarre by the day.

7. Post thanked by:

coastal (05-25-2016),Generalissimus Gibby (05-25-2016),OpIv37 (05-24-2016),Skooby (05-25-2016),WagonCircler (05-24-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This guy is an idiot. I was in his corner but no more.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The pressure is on these idiots. They had better produce this season or they all should be fired. And if Pegula doesn't pull the trigger then he is on the hot seat too.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by k-oneputt View Post
    The pressure is on these idiots. They had better produce this season or they all should be fired. And if Pegula doesn't pull the trigger then he is on the hot seat too.
    That was the problem with Ralph. The owner can't be on the hot seat.... He learned with the Sabres but it was a slow process. Hopefully he'll come around eventually with the Bills

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

THE NATIONAL GUARD HAS BEEN ACTIVATED !

A lot of dumb things have been said at OBD today. Captain Obvious says hi.

But the drama queens here are far more entertaining.

12. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (05-25-2016),BillsImpossible (05-24-2016),Boomstick (05-25-2016),Gilly (05-24-2016),Jan Reimers (05-27-2016),Joe Fo Sho (05-25-2016),Pinkerton Security (05-25-2016),Skooby (05-25-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Humans were not designed to play football.

I totally agree.

Humans weren't designed to go 250 mph, skydive, fly, climb Mount Everest, drink a half bottle of scotch, or eat fast food either but people still do it.

That's why people love football. It's dangerous and fun.

Playing in the NFL is something that ordinary people can't do.

The NFL is full of extraordinary athletes, the best in the world.

I'm glad Whaley lit the internet on fire today, because the news cycle has been quite boring lately and this NFL off season has been nothing much to talk about until now.

14. Post thanked by:

Boomstick (05-25-2016),gebobs (05-31-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    Humans were not designed to play football.

I totally agree.

Humans weren't designed to go 250 mph, skydive, fly, climb Mount Everest, drink a half bottle of scotch, or eat fast food either but people still do it.

That's why people love football. It's dangerous and fun.

Playing in the NFL is something that ordinary people can't do.

The NFL is full of extraordinary athletes, the best in the world.

I'm glad Whaley lit the internet on fire today, because the news cycle has been quite boring lately and this NFL off season has been nothing much to talk about until now.
    Rams moving, Brady suspension, Johnny Football, the concussion stuff, two big pre draft trades... This offseason has been more exciting than most.

And you're right about all those things humans weren't meant to do. What makes Whaley a scumbag is that he makes so much money off it while admitting humans weren't meant to do it. He's ok with people ****ing up their lives for our entertainment as long as he's making a buck off of it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Back when I was in college, one of the guys I lived with was a former football player. He couldn't go for runs, because football had done too much harm to his knees. There were some other things he couldn't do either. And that's just the effect on a guy who'd played high school football only. Imagine the effect on guys who go on to play in college, and then in the NFL. You look at the price Johnny Unitas paid in terms of football injuries which never fully healed after retirement.

I'm not saying people shouldn't play football. I love playing football myself! But we have to be realistic about the fact that the human body wasn't designed to withstand the beating football inflicts. And I think that's what Whaley meant when he said that people aren't supposed to play football.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not a Whaley fan. The Bills won't win the Super Bowl until after the they've found a new GM. But in this particular instance, I don't think he deserves to be castigated for having spoken an unpleasant truth.

17. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-25-2016),Boomstick (05-25-2016),Night Train (05-25-2016)

Registered User Scumbag College's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 698 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    And you're right about all those things humans weren't meant to do. What makes Whaley a scumbag is that he makes so much money off it while admitting humans weren't meant to do it. He's ok with people ****ing up their lives for our entertainment as long as he's making a buck off of it.
    This is what bugged me the most about the comment. Whaley is a pretty bright guy...he gave up a really good job on Wall St. after playing at a pretty big time college football program to join the Stillers staff and has worked his way up to the GM of the Bills. I'm guessing any and all of us would take that job. And he could get back into the financial sector if he is this adverse to the idea of letting people play football.

I'm not a Tea Bagger, Fake Tough Guy, Rush Limbo listener that thinks any safety precaution that the NFL takes to help players is the "sissification of 'Merica." Too many ex-players are seriously ****ed up from the game and if some rule changes are implemented that improves their well being, I'm all for it. Bare knuckle Boxing matches used to go 74 rounds and guys died in the ring. 8oz. gloves and 12 round Championship bouts didn't make Boxing into figure skating, ballroom dancing, or golf.
    Last edited by Scumbag College; 05-24-2016 at 07:48 PM.

19. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (05-25-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Arm of Harm View Post
    Back when I was in college, one of the guys I lived with was a former football player. He couldn't go for runs, because football had done too much harm to his knees. There were some other things he couldn't do either. And that's just the effect on a guy who'd played high school football only. Imagine the effect on guys who go on to play in college, and then in the NFL. You look at the price Johnny Unitas paid in terms of football injuries which never fully healed after retirement.

I'm not saying people shouldn't play football. I love playing football myself! But we have to be realistic about the fact that the human body wasn't designed to withstand the beating football inflicts. And I think that's what Whaley meant when he said that people aren't supposed to play football.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not a Whaley fan. The Bills won't win the Super Bowl until after the they've found a new GM. But in this particular instance, I don't think he deserves to be castigated for having spoken an unpleasant truth.
    the problem isn't that he spoke an unpleasant truth. The problem is that he understands the unpleasant truth but chooses to make money off of it anyway. If he had any moral compass, the unpleasant truth would have compelled him into another line of work.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He should be fired immediately- not for expressing an opinion but because he's willing to make millions off something he doesn't believe people should be doing. It's a complete lack of ethics.

Oh wait- Russ Brandon's his boss.
    Er...the team sells out year after year. Let's not feign indignity...
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

the problem isn't that he spoke an unpleasant truth. The problem is that he understands the unpleasant truth but chooses to make money off of it anyway. If he had any moral compass, the unpleasant truth would have compelled him into another line of work.
    The only problem is yours, and how you chose to take what he said...and then project all this crap.

He was not wrong.

23. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-25-2016),Boomstick (05-25-2016),Pinkerton Security (05-25-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Er...the team sells out year after year. Let's not feign indignity...
    Hence the Brandon comment. He's never had any interest in building a winner. He's only interested in creating the illusion of a winner to play off the passion and loyalty of Bills fans.

25. Post thanked by:

Slick (05-27-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    The only problem is yours, and how you chose to take what he said...and then project all this crap.

He was not wrong.
    What he said was not wrong. He makes money off of something that he feels hurts people by his own admission. That has nothing to do with any choice or projection by me- it's the reality and that's what's wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What he said was not wrong. He makes money off of something that he feels hurts people by his own admission. That has nothing to do with any choice or projection by me- it's the reality and that's what's wrong.
    Anybody with two brain cells knows what he said is true. That includes 31 other GMs, whether they say it or not, it's an obvious truth, universally recognized by everyone.

Maybe the problem is with this new-fangled sound-byte society, where everything is hyper-analyzed by people who are too much of a hurry to think things through, and people are expected to talk out of their ass more and more instead of just telling the truth.

So you're saying that you have a problem with him telling the truth? Or is it that he shouldn't TELL the truth? Because, at this point of the conversation, I'm getting the idea that you want NFL GMs to not give a rat's ass about the truth. Should they not care about the players or have a perspective on the beast? What?
    Last edited by feldspar; 05-24-2016 at 08:38 PM.

28. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-25-2016),Boomstick (05-25-2016)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He was defending Watkins by pointing out that football is violent and injuries happen. People are going nuts with the hot takes here.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

30. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-25-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Anybody with two brain cells knows what he said is true. That includes 31 other GMs, whether they say it or not, it's an obvious truth, universally recognized by everyone.

Maybe the problem is with this new-tangled sound-byte society, where everything is hyper-analyzed by people who are too much of a hurry to think things through, and people are expected to talk out of their ass more and more instead of just telling the truth.

So you're saying that you have a problem with him telling the truth? Or is it that he shouldn't TELL the truth? Because, at this point of the conversation, I'm getting the idea that you want. NFL GMs to not give a rat's ass about the truth. Should they not care about the players or have a perspective on the beast? What?
    Huh? How can something be "hyper-analyized" by people too busy to think things through? I don't think you know what "hyper" or "analyze" actually mean, because people incapable of thinking things through can't analyze by definition.

Anyone who agrees with Whaley but makes money off of football is admitting to making money off of something that is harmful. Yeah, it's the truth. But it's a truth that makes them despicable human beings. I'm not sure why you think being truthful about being a despicable human being is so much better than lying about being a despicable human being.